Here Are The Very First “In The Wild” Pictures Of The Cadillac CT5 - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Are The Very First “In The Wild” Pictures Of The Cadillac CT5

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Here Are The Very First “In The Wild” Pictures Of The Cadillac CT5

I am "underwhelmed" My 2014 CTS had more character. Other than the tail lights I don't see any Escala in this design (other than maybe the emblem?). Speaking of the emblem, if it wasn't so big it would be hard to tell this is a Cadillac. I’m sorry, GM Design, but that does not look like a "Cadillac" luxury sports sedan. I agree with other comments that it looks more like an Infiniti than an Escala. Very disappointed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mingo For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (04-09-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,711 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Next week, when they have the full reveal, a lot of people will be on board with this design that perhaps are Luke warm to it at the moment. If a white pilot production car in bright sunlight looks this good, in black, gray, blue it’s going to look stunning.

This car looks like it has Premium Luxury window surrounds with the Black front grille (not the Sport front though) lacking the little bright ingots of the Premium Luxury. Clearly it isn’t 100% production ready, as the hood/front end clip have an alignment problem creating another kink inboard on the top of the headlight.

The car has such a nice stance, and regardless of whether it looks like ‘this car or that car’ I see a lot character and flavor in this design, with hints of Gen 2 CTS sedan and Escala in the rear 3/4 view. Regarding size, it could be CTS wheelbase with a slightly shorter (tidier) rear overhang as someone else has suggested, but overall this is a direct CTS replacement despite the rumors that it will supplant both ATS and CTS.

Someone asked if CT4 would be FWD based as this supposedly replaces ATS and CTS. Errr that’s a big fat NO. CT4 is clearly based on the bones of ATS and is not shrinking as many sites have predicted.

Anyhow, CT5 is shaping up to be quite a looker and the C pillar may have a faux window but the way the designers handled it, it looks surprisingly good and isn’t an issue anymore.

Btw someone pointed out something that I mentioned when official CT5 pictures were released, that the faux window kink is the rear tail light motif in reverse.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (04-09-2019),Dheart (04-09-2019),jzchev28 (04-10-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    Next week, when they have the full reveal, a lot of people will be on board with this design that perhaps are Luke warm to it at the moment. If a white pilot production car in bright sunlight looks this good, in black, gray, blue it’s going to look stunning.

This car looks like it has Premium Luxury window surrounds with the Black front grille (not the Sport front though) lacking the little bright ingots of the Premium Luxury. Clearly it isn’t 100% production ready, as the hood/front end clip have an alignment problem creating another kink inboard on the top of the headlight.

The car has such a nice stance, and regardless of whether it looks like ‘this car or that car’ I see a lot character and flavor in this design, with hints of Gen 2 CTS sedan and Escala in the rear 3/4 view. Regarding size, it could be CTS wheelbase with a slightly shorter (tidier) rear overhang as someone else has suggested, but overall this is a direct CTS replacement despite the rumors that it will supplant both ATS and CTS.

Someone asked if CT4 would be FWD based as this supposedly replaces ATS and CTS. Errr that’s a big fat NO. CT4 is clearly based on the bones of ATS and is not shrinking as many sites have predicted.

Anyhow, CT5 is shaping up to be quite a looker and the C pillar may have a faux window but the way the designers handled it, it looks surprisingly good and isn’t an issue anymore.

Btw someone pointed out something that I mentioned when official CT5 pictures were released, that the faux window kink is the rear tail light motif in reverse.

I hope you're right about the actual reveal and the stunning looks.

Is it still legal to make cars in blue or any other color that isn't white, gray, silver, or black? There actually is a pretty nice picture of the CT5 in a burgundy-ish color on cadillac.com right now.

I wonder how many variations of silver will be in the CT5 palate.

Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I assumed the 2 holes were mounts for the missing badge
    You are probably correct, but could the rear badge be illuminated? I thought I read that XT6 has an illuminated rear badge? Perhaps it was all a dream lol!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    That and Almighty Aerodynamics.

I don't see how that roofline could possibly improve rear headroom. They must assume anyone who wants to carry adults in the backseat will buy a CUV. But the Chinese won't care, they're all under 5 feet tall. They just want the extra legroom to prop their feet on the seat back.
    Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets may disagree at 7' 6" tall. Japan and China both are growing taller with better diets.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 638 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    It's okay I guess, still looks generic. I can't help but feel this is a missed opportunity for Cadillac.
    A sleek, more Escala like design would have certainly grabbed more attention.

When you are selling sedans in 2019 you need something sexy that stands out. I would agree - they could have done better.

Thanks

Great proportions. Even the C-pillar has grown on me. Love it. Keep in mind that this is a base version. And even this version looks really nice

P.s. I think it was a mistake to show that gray car in the previous teasers. Any car will become boring in that color.
    Last edited by bronx13; 04-09-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    A sleek, more Escala like design would have certainly grabbed more attention.
    I don't see how it could be more Escala-like, other than removing the inner greenhouse pillars and adding a hatch.

For light paint colors, they should use a combination of brushed chrome and matte silver instead of black in the front. It might look better on the dark shades, too.

They shouldn't be following the pack, but they do.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

The photos over at Cadillac.com and media.cadillac.com show the front end with more bling (Prem Lux). Not sure if the “Wild”
    one is a Sport trim or some sort of test mule?

Attachment-1.jpg
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    The photos over at Cadillac.com and media.cadillac.com show the front end with more bling (Prem Lux). Not sure if the “Wild”
    one is a Sport trim or some sort of test mule?

Attachment-1.jpg
    I don’t think it’s a Sport version
    As the lower bumper area is not the same. This looks like possibly a base grille or a blend of Sport/Premium Luxury front ends just being used for assembly verification purposes?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I'm glad to see Cadillac has rediscovered that cars can be built without looking like they are unfinished castings (jagged edges) out of a mold.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Played around with the contrast and exposure to try to get a better view of the car:

Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    That's the same with nearly everybody's car. Auto design = homogenization. And it's not just 2019, it's basically the 21st century.

Design; dynamic, striking, unique design, is dead. Or restricted to concept cars only.
    Yes, but that's only in overall shape, and something I made note of in my post.

Shapes can be similar, but each brand has different design cues or styling themes that set them apart. Mercedes has the droop in their belt line, BMW has the Hofmeister kink, and Cadillac had sharp edges with an aggressive front end.

If somebody told me this was the new Genesis G80 or Infiniti Q50, I would have believed them. Cadillac has lost its distinctive look thanks to Escala.

Quote Originally Posted by samesun View Post
    Sorry I love most of cts but the butt is terrible. Blah and anonymous. It’s like caddy fired the designers before they finished the back and had the night cleaning staff finish design. IMO, this and price is why cts fell on its face.

And Cadillac should be applauded for continued engineering of sedans and advancing their design language while other manufacturers’ worship the almighty suv.

Btw... that bar of soap was a cute try but it actually resembles the unloved nautilus-mkx/mkc imo. Thanks for the brilliant comparison
    What does a Lincoln CUV have to do with any of this? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Judging by recent Cadillac sedan sales, I'd venture that looking like a Cadillac hasn't been such a hot ticket. Plus the current CTS photographs well but something about it looks odd every time I see one in real life (except in V form). I agree with the folks who find the CT5's profile uninspiring but I suspect it would at least not look as odd as its predecessor.
    CTS wasn't a bad seller. When Cadillac introduced it and made people aware that it existed, it was actually in 4th place in sales for a while, even moving up to 3rd ahead of the A6 for a few months. Cadillac just let it rot and didn't update it properly or market it properly, both of which are typical GM mistakes for seemingly every brand and every car they make after a few years on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
    reminds me Cruze what is not exactly a bad thing since I've always liked 1 gen. Cruze front-end design. Still better than the C/E-Class. C-Class coupe looks like sth. that competes with cheap FWD coupes as Solara Coupe or Honda Accord coupe. Car design overall has been going downhill in the last few years. I wish Cadillac kept the A&S sharp edges on their cars
    So looking like a Cruze = Good, and looking like an Accord Coupe = Bad?

I don't follow. Shouldn't they both be bad?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBangBang View Post
    I too own a current CTS and seriously believe that this is a very nice evolution of the vehicle. The front is my only concern, but that is because of the lack of a finished look, which should be rectified once we see a full on production version. That being said.. The V-Series version with that front is going to absolutely fantastic.

BTW. I think the issue with a bunch of people here regarding this cat is the evolutionary change of the design.. Thank God I wasn't here back in the day when the Corvette lost its hideaway headlights.. Mofos musta been on suicide watch Lmfao
    The popups were a stupid gimmick. I'm glad they're gone.

Remember when people lost their **** over the not-round tail lights?
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

SKH (04-09-2019)

Thanks

Actually it has grown on me. Now it looks better than the whole D segment taken all together.

But the interior. Thats what really matters.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I think it looks good for a 4-door luxury sedan. It's certainly a big improvement for Caddy design because it brings in smoother surfacing which looks more upscale than the boxier elements they've been fond of. The rear view reveals why they did the that window treatment, it helps to tie the belt line to the sill of the rear window which is particularly high up and small. I have no issue with it personally, but it draws attention to itself from other angles.

I'm not a fan of Caddy design in general because they are prone to some tacky bad habits with lots of drama on the fascia. You can tell Caddy is still designed by old-school Detroit, the designs never hold up well to time. But I do like the fascia mostly, but it might be a little too soft and flat for some who actually want more presence to the vehicle. This new fascia is actually the first time I've actually liked Caddy design AT ALL. The same goes with the fascia on the otherwise bland XT6.

Either way, they won't sell a tremendous number of them because...sedans. And ultimately this is still a technologically and culturally anonymous vehicle. But I know it'll remain an outstanding contender to the Germans they continue to emulate.
    Last edited by BORG; 04-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information