Here Are The Very First “In The Wild” Pictures Of The Cadillac CT5 - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Are The Very First “In The Wild” Pictures Of The Cadillac CT5

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,140 Posts

Re: Here Are The Very First “In The Wild” Pictures Of The Cadillac CT5

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Here are my problems with the design of this car.

Look at it without the badges:

This car does not look like a Cadillac. Heck, it looks more Asian to me than anything, especially from the rear 3/4 view.

This car is doing a disservice to the once proud Cadillac brand from a design standpoint.

And being honest? If somebody threw on a Chevy bowtie and told me this was the new Cruze in ~2016, I would have absolutely believed them.

Somebody. Anybody. Please buy Cadillac and save it from GM. This simply shouldn't be allowed to happen to America's flagship luxury brand.

I think if you take off the front badging, it still very definitely looks like a Cadillac. Like it or not, that's what the styling has evolved into. Same to a lesser degree with the tail. There's pretty obvious similarities to the CT6.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (04-09-2019),Dheart (04-09-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,403 Times in 3,116 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse
    Here are my problems with the design of this car.

Look at it without the badges:

This car does not look like a Cadillac. Heck, it looks more Asian to me than anything, especially from the rear 3/4 view.

This car is doing a disservice to the once proud Cadillac brand from a design standpoint.

And being honest? If somebody threw on a Chevy bowtie and told me this was the new Cruze in ~2016, I would have absolutely believed them.

Somebody. Anybody. Please buy Cadillac and save it from GM. This simply shouldn't be allowed to happen to America's flagship luxury brand.
    Put down the beer

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

6.0LL76 (04-09-2019),Dheart (04-09-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    I really have little issue with the face or ass, it's the profile the bothers me. To my eyes that greenhouse screams utility over design, which I can understand to a point. If I'm paying Cadillac money for a car I want to love it, and I don't.
    Agree with you, the profile is the part that makes me uncomfortable. Front and back are good. Maybe they are trying for more utility in the design, since interior room, particularly in the back seat, has been an issue.

Hopefully it will look better in person. There's been more than a few cars, including several that I ended up purchasing, that I didn't like at all from the first pictures but which steadily grew on me.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 637 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

It looks like a decade old Nissan.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

CJH (04-09-2019)

09W
    Thanks

...if you took the Cadillac themed front and rear ends off of it, it could be anybody's car.
    That's the same with nearly everybody's car. Auto design = homogenization. And it's not just 2019, it's basically the 21st century.

Design; dynamic, striking, unique design, is dead. Or restricted to concept cars only.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 09W For This Useful Post:

Dheart (04-09-2019),ksr (04-09-2019),The Handler (04-08-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    That's the same with nearly everybody's car. Auto design = homogenization. And it's not just 2019, it's basically the 21st century.

Design; dynamic, striking, unique design, is dead. Or restricted to concept cars only.
    Concept cars are even lacking these days.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Design is purely subjective of course, but that, to me, is a far superior design, mainly due to the fact that it actually looks like a Cadillac, unlike this anonymous blob of a car. Stupid Escala Concept and related design cues are going to ruin Cadillac design for me for the next decade+. Ugh.
    Sorry I love most of cts but the butt is terrible. Blah and anonymous. It’s like caddy fired the designers before they finished the back and had the night cleaning staff finish design. IMO, this and price is why cts fell on its face.

And Cadillac should be applauded for continued engineering of sedans and advancing their design language while other manufacturers’ worship the almighty suv.

Btw... that bar of soap was a cute try but it actually resembles the unloved nautilus-mkx/mkc imo. Thanks for the brilliant comparison

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC The Handler's Avatar
    Thanks

The safety-obsessed central planners ruined automotive design with their never-ending safety decrees.

emh
    Thanks

I'm not asking for Pininfarina penned brilliance, I just want the thing to look like a Cadillac.

This is a current generation base trim CTS in Rental Car White:

Design is purely subjective of course, but that, to me, is a far superior design, mainly due to the fact that it actually looks like a Cadillac, unlike this anonymous blob of a car. Stupid Escala Concept and related design cues are going to ruin Cadillac design for me for the next decade+. Ugh.
    Judging by recent Cadillac sedan sales, I'd venture that looking like a Cadillac hasn't been such a hot ticket. Plus the current CTS photographs well but something about it looks odd every time I see one in real life (except in V form). I agree with the folks who find the CT5's profile uninspiring but I suspect it would at least not look as odd as its predecessor.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

thats only if your Design Team isnt as Creative.

The front could be more Blunt especially in the Grill area, hell i think the grill should be expanded to cover the whole front Horizontally to the Vertical Headlamps like older Cadillacs. (a Cadillac Design Cue)

Headlamps should Connect and Flow all the way down the Front Fenders like the CT6V.. That Grill has to be more 3 Dimensional, somewhat of a Deep Dish to pull it off.

I would like it if the C Pillar was Thicker. like Trapezoid and at 50-60 Degree Slope (another old Caddy Cue).. youll have Plenty of Head room cause the roof would be sloped so aggressively. and who cares about "Blindspots" when you have Technology to prevent it. If you can have Pickup trucks where you have a Rear Camera that can See through what your towing. You can do that same for a Sedan *Shrug*
    Last edited by 69gtsdart; 04-09-2019 at 02:45 AM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69gtsdart View Post
    The CT-6,CT-5,the CTS and ATS when looking at them from the rear 3/4 view have this uneven wheel well look (to me at least). Is that design que supposed to make someone think of the "skirted" rear wheel well look of old Cadillacs like this black one pictured here?.

Or is it just a styling faux pas that a lot of other vehicles suffer from?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

reminds me Cruze what is not exactly a bad thing since I've always liked 1 gen. Cruze front-end design. Still better than the C/E-Class. C-Class coupe looks like sth. that competes with cheap FWD coupes as Solara Coupe or Honda Accord coupe. Car design overall has been going downhill in the last few years. I wish Cadillac kept the A&S sharp edges on their cars

Banned
    Thanks
    I too own a current CTS and seriously believe that this is a very nice evolution of the vehicle. The front is my only concern, but that is because of the lack of a finished look, which should be rectified once we see a full on production version. That being said.. The V-Series version with that front is going to absolutely fantastic.

BTW. I think the issue with a bunch of people here regarding this cat is the evolutionary change of the design.. Thank God I wasn't here back in the day when the Corvette lost its hideaway headlights.. Mofos musta been on suicide watch Lmfao

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DaBangBang For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (04-09-2019),dannyg (04-09-2019),Dheart (04-09-2019),Evo69 (04-10-2019),jzchev28 (04-10-2019),SKH (04-09-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Finally a rear 3/4 view! These images are pretty washed out, but you can just make out the prominent “haunch” above rear wheels in this one. Reminds me vaguely of the old Volvo S60 (a favorite). As others have said, C pillar looks good.

My guess is like other new Caddys the Prem Lux version will have more bling at the front end. Sport might be all-black like this or some sort of dark surround.

Overall as before I like it a lot. I’ll check it out at NYAS. I’ll be checking out CT5, XT6, and new Ford Focus. Won’t bother with Gladiator, sorry, no interest.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (04-10-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Quote Originally Posted by The Handler View Post
    The safety-obsessed central planners ruined automotive design with their never-ending safety decrees.
    That and Almighty Aerodynamics.

I don't see how that roofline could possibly improve rear headroom. They must assume anyone who wants to carry adults in the backseat will buy a CUV. But the Chinese won't care, they're all under 5 feet tall. They just want the extra legroom to prop their feet on the seat back.

The CT-6,CT-5,the CTS and ATS when looking at them from the rear 3/4 view have this uneven wheel well look (to me at least). Is that design que supposed to make someone think of the "skirted" rear wheel well look of old Cadillacs like this black one pictured here?.

Or is it just a styling faux pas that a lot of other vehicles suffer from?
    It was a "thing" a few years ago to fit the wheel wells as close to the tire as possible, because it appealed to German precision and looked different from the SUVs. With the wedge shape, it means there's a vast block of painted metal on the back half of the car.

What was striking about the Escala was its length.
    Last edited by ral1960; 04-09-2019 at 08:13 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ral1960 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (04-09-2019)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information