Here Are The Very First “In The Wild” Pictures Of The Cadillac CT5 - Page 11

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Are The Very First “In The Wild” Pictures Of The Cadillac CT5

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Re: Here Are The Very First “In The Wild” Pictures Of The Cadillac CT5

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the A6 is my favorite design in that class, hands down. And that's coming from a huge Audi hater.

I absolutely hate the Escala. I wish I could shoot whoever designed it, approved it, and decided "hey this is a great idea for Cadillac!".
    I wish GM design could mount a rear view mirror on the door without it being an eye sore/looking like a flag pole - I hadn't noticed the A6 had its mirror mounted there instead of in its window surround until now.

What about Escala do you hate? It is exactly what a modern Cadillac should look like if they joined the "four door coupe" bandwagon (IMO).
    I'm with you yet again if you believe all Cadillac's don't need the Escala design elements (same sausage different size aka Germans).
    RedSkyBlackDream

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2019/Pacific Blue

Here we are:

And just for fun...

See now that Honda Accord with a Caddy emblem is worth at least $50k.

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,302 Posts

Here we are:

And just for fun...

This really doesn't advance the "take the badges off and you'd never know this was a Cadillac theory." If you saw either of these cars for real, even if you didn't know much about cars, you'd think, "Wow, Honda is really stepping up its game." And, "Geez Cadillac has really given up. Did GM close Chevy?"
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-12-2019),BlackGTP (04-13-2019),jzchev28 (04-11-2019),sdotjeezy (04-12-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

All cars in that class have nice proportions.

The 5 looks nice. So does the E. A6 looks great. Neither are particularly Earth-shattering designs, but no car in that class really is, CTS and CT5 included.
    I beg to differ.

And I'll say that the new A6 is a plain, but tasteful design, but it is also no more exciting to look at than its doppelganger the Genesis G80

The CT5 moves it up.. and I think is a great evolution to a UNIQUE design. Something that none of the Germans can claim IN THIS CLASS, unless U move up to the CLS or A7, which are beautiful designs IMO. BMW? uuuugh!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaBangBang For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (04-13-2019),Dheart (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

The front end of the CT5 clearly shares a lot with new XT6 (from Escala concept). I'm assuming upcoming CT4 will be in the same ballpark too. IMO wouldn't confuse with any of the Germans...or Honda.

vehicles-xt6-fvp-safety-l.jpg

https://www.cadillac.com/content/dam...pg?imwidth=900
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

Dheart (04-11-2019),megeebee (04-11-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,937 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by DaBangBang View Post
    I beg to differ.

And I'll say that the new A6 is a plain, but tasteful design, but it is also no more exciting to look at than its doppelganger the Genesis G80

The CT5 moves it up.. and I think is a great evolution to a UNIQUE design. Something that none of the Germans can claim IN THIS CLASS, unless U move up to the CLS or A7, which are beautiful designs IMO. BMW? uuuugh!
    There is a lot to this back and forth. Each has merits and are respectfully "beautiful" in their own sort of a "family heritage" way. I do agree though that the Cadillac for all the negativity here and on other sites as well, really is a looker with a pleasing silhouette.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (04-12-2019),DaBangBang (04-11-2019),Dheart (04-11-2019),jzchev28 (04-11-2019),rockyspaw (04-11-2019)

SKH
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,720 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

I beg to differ.

Audi has always been the most tasteful of the German contingent with their classy, conservative, but handsome designs, but the latest iteration of their corporate grille is morphing into a vehicular cartoon. The last maw that big, was attached to something skimming krill off the coast of Tierra Del Fuego.The A8 is very pleasant, but beyond that massive mug it is anodyne in the extreme. I'm guessing sales of the A8 will continue to be tepid in the U.S.

Cadillac with the latest version of A & S has come up with one of the most distinctive signature front ends in the business. The grilles seem perfectly sized, and when a current Cadillac is behind you at night, there is very little doubt what it is. Due to the vertical lighting, the new horizontal lighting still exudes that Cadillac-ness. There is no reason Cadillac on some future models that couldn't revert to vertical headlights. Cadillac has Stylistic options within a fairly well defined design language, and that is good.

Only about 4-1/2 days to go until the full press photo/info reveal (Monday 12.00 midnight EST?) prior to a live NY show reveal Tuesday. Maybe we'll get some more info this weekend?
    Last edited by SKH; 04-11-2019 at 12:51 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-12-2019),BlackGTP (04-12-2019),Dheart (04-11-2019),megeebee (04-11-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post

Careful...don't wanna drop that!
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rockyspaw View Post

Yeah, you could end up with an OWDI!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-12-2019),BlackGTP (04-12-2019),Cobaltss_King (04-11-2019),rockyspaw (04-11-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post

Yeah, you could end up with an OWDI![IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DaBangBang For This Useful Post:

Lshannon102 (04-19-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    I wish GM design could mount a rear view mirror on the door without it being an eye sore/looking like a flag pole - I hadn't noticed the A6 had its mirror mounted there instead of in its window surround until now.

What about Escala do you hate? It is exactly what a modern Cadillac should look like if they joined the "four door coupe" bandwagon (IMO).
    I'm with you yet again if you believe all Cadillac's don't need the Escala design elements (same sausage different size aka Germans).
    So with Escala, I have a couple issues with it. Let's start at the front of it, and work our way back.

I initially disliked the front end of the Escala Concept when I first saw it, but I realized that the production cars would solve a lot of the problems I had with it, namely the too-squinty for my tastes headlights on the concept. The XT6 is good, and the CT5 is okay, but I was afraid that if they tried to stretch the headlights back over the front wheel like the current design that it would end up looking like the G1 Cruze, and unfortunately the CT5 did exactly that.

My main issue is the entire DLO and the overall shape of the car. Here is what I don't like about it:

1.) Is anonymous and very un-Cadillac, resembling an Audi more than a Cadillac.
    2.) The upwards kink on the C-pillar window is really what kills the design for me. That is the most un-Cadillac thing on the whole thing.
    3.) The chrome trim on the prestige-gap/front door looks like an afterthought. I appreciate the creasing on the lower portion of the doors though, I think it does a lot for it visually.

It looks like a potential NG Impala or A7 from the side, not a flagship Cadillac sedan/fastback. It just does not look like a Cadillac from that view. That is my main problem with the Escala concept.

Ass end is really good. It's probably my favorite part of the car. The evolution of the Cadillac taillight is really nice, especially on CT5. It, to me, is by far the best looking part of the car. The white car out in natural light didn't look great, but it also isn't a finished product. In addition, I love the stylish chrome accent on the back bumper by the exhaust on the CT5. Very tastefully done.

Escala has some nice styling cues, but as a whole, is a massive letdown for me. After being wowed by Ciel and Elmiraj, I expected something similarly jaw dropping from Escala. Unfortunately, I didn't get my wish. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    This really doesn't advance the "take the badges off and you'd never know this was a Cadillac theory." If you saw either of these cars for real, even if you didn't know much about cars, you'd think, "Wow, Honda is really stepping up its game." And, "Geez Cadillac has really given up. Did GM close Chevy?"
    I really don't know what to tell you here. If you can't see the similarities between the Accord's DLO and the CT5's, well... we can agree to disagree I suppose.

I beg to differ.

Here's my car:

I'm a basic bitch, taking the pic on the top of the school parking garage. Lol.

G80 looks more like the CT5 than the A6 does in my view.

You like the CLS?? I didn't expect that. To me, as a big MB fan, it's an overstyled mess. But then again, I never did like it.

I'm still shocked at how much I like the new A6. It's gotta be the first Audi sedan that I would rather have over its Cadillac/Mercedes-Benz/BMW counterparts. But it's way, way more expensive than the CTS/CT5/E/5. It starts at almost $60,000.
    Last edited by Envoy4Life; 04-11-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (04-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 673 Posts

Here are my problems with the design of this car.

Look at it without the badges:

This car does not look like a Cadillac. Heck, it looks more Asian to me than anything, especially from the rear 3/4 view.

This car is doing a disservice to the once proud Cadillac brand from a design standpoint.

And being honest? If somebody threw on a Chevy bowtie and told me this was the new Cruze in ~2016, I would have absolutely believed them.

Somebody. Anybody. Please buy Cadillac and save it from GM. This simply shouldn't be allowed to happen to America's flagship luxury brand.
    I'm not asking for Pininfarina penned brilliance, I just want the thing to look like a Cadillac.

This is a current generation base trim CTS in Rental Car White:

Design is purely subjective of course, but that, to me, is a far superior design, mainly due to the fact that it actually looks like a Cadillac, unlike this anonymous blob of a car. Stupid Escala Concept and related design cues are going to ruin Cadillac design for me for the next decade+. Ugh.
    I had posted this at the other thread:
    It's just difficult to render any sort of coherent judgement at this sort of remove. To get a sense of a vehicle you really do need to get up close and personal. Photos don't and cannot do justice to the full sensory experience, which is what you have to live with and what motivates one to buy or lease.

Having stipulated that, the photos are somewhat underwhelming, I find the C pillar treatment a bit puzzling and reminiscent of Infinity, I would have preferred that the C pillar had been resolved in a less busy fashion.

What's with deleting the Cadillac crest off of the deck lid? Are buyers screaming for a more anonymous vehicle? Is that the objective, or do designers think their creation is so distinctive the inclusion would be superfluous? The Escala influence is apparent here, and it could be really solid and it might even be great, but I need to see it in person.
    It seems to me that there's been a template that's a bland inoffensive somewhat Asian design that nearly everyone is using.. Exciting designs seem passé to me. Just scale up or down as size requires.

I've always preferred powerful big coupes, which are nearly extinct except at the very top price range makes. Cadillac used to be known for them. Back in the day Cadillac was always recognizable, regardless of year.. Anonymity in design seems to have taken hold as groupthink. The front end of a Cadillac had a jeweled quality, and the expression was something between a grin and a sneer, very snooty. Cadillac had real presence and stood out from the crowd like nothing else. I hope they can find their way back to that..

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-12-2019),ClassyEldo (04-11-2019)

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Don’t recall seeing this on the instagram site before.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvJqHICguhP/

Maybe we are going to get an AMSR reveal video of the C Pillar before Tuesday?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,933 Posts
    Just found this.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

26. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

SKH (04-12-2019)

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Just found this.
    Bronx13 sent that to me early on Thursday. It’s just a picture unfortunately, with no ASMR video.

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information