GMI Spies: 2020 Cadillac CT5 - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: GMI Spies: 2020 Cadillac CT5

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Re: GMI Spies: 2020 Cadillac CT5

I think it looks great. I like the fast back style, and overall it looks trim and purpose-built. It looks sleek and fast. Remember how enraged people were when the new Cadillac design language emerged 10-15 years ago? The styling shifts from generation to generation and that isn't new. There will be a whole new crop of people on here in 10 years with fond memories of the "first CT5". I'm going to embrace these new sedans because honestly they actually look pretty awesome. The interiors look like a huge step up from the ATS of yesteryear. People complained about the lack of real buttons and GM listened, now we have them. The engine options are great too. I'm excited about the 2.7L turbo in the CT4. It should be really raw, performance focused powertrain that sounds good and feels incredibly quick. The alpha platform continues to be the best performance RWD architecture available.
    Last edited by protovack; 09-13-2019 at 12:36 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to protovack For This Useful Post:

SavoieRF (09-14-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,358 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by protovack View Post
    I think it looks great. Everyone has an opinion on here, usually a negative one, and its really easy to casually hate on things on the internet. So easy, that it has become a favored past-time for many. Especially people interested in GM vehicles and cadillac. Remember how enraged people were when the new Cadillac design language emerged 10-15 years ago? The styling shifts from generation to generation and that isn't new. There will be a whole new crop of people on here in 10 years with fond memories of the "first CT5".
    I hope so, and there probably will be people like that in 10 years.

Problem is, the sedan portion of the market pie is getting ever smaller. Cadillac is in what, 6th place in luxury sales? So their portion of that shrinking piece of the pie is getting to the point where it won't be worth the investment to keep developing new sedans.

I can't see it happening soon, but someday the market will swing back a bit towards cars. It's just human nature to change, to want something "new," which one day will be sedans when CUVs have permeated the roads. (Of course at that point, Cadillac will be launching nothing but CUVs.)
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Well I think the issue is that, well, take me for instance. I am part of the reason for the shrinking sedan market, sadly. I have young kids and a dog and my stuff gets dirty. I have an equinox 2.0T for family duty that I adore. And I have a 2.0T camaro for my own personal daily driving, and as a fun weekend/road trip car. While I really like the idea of a nice luxury sports sedan, I just don't need one. My Equinox will always be more practical. It's cheap, I don't have to worry about beating on it, and it has more interior space. My Camaro, will always be more fun to drive than any cadillac sedan. No, it may not be as nice inside. No it may not be practical, but who cares? It's more fun. It's trackable. It's a better sports car than any Cadillac, even a v-series, in my opinion.

So its strange. I could afford a Cadillac sedan. I really like them. But...there isn't any real compelling reason for me to buy one and that goes for any luxury sedan.

I suppose if they made a CT4 coupe that was a full fledged sports car like my Camaro, I'd bite.

But I'd just as soon have them drop the 2.7L into the Camaro and I'd just go for that.

Still, I look at something like a CT4-V with the 2.7L and think how it would be a very nice vehicle for some road-tripping with friends, way more comfortable than my Camaro, and have incredible performance. And I COULD track it, theoretically. I'd need some proof that the cooling system is up to snuff first.
    Last edited by protovack; 09-13-2019 at 06:43 PM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    Thanks

Well I think the issue is that, well, take me for instance. I am part of the reason for the shrinking sedan market, sadly. I have young kids and a dog and my stuff gets dirty. I have an equinox 2.0T for family duty that I adore. And I have a 2.0T camaro for my own personal daily driving, and as a fun weekend/road trip car. While I really like the idea of a nice luxury sports sedan, I just don't need one. My Equinox will always be more practical. It's cheap, I don't have to worry about beating on it, and it has more interior space. My Camaro, will always be more fun to drive than any cadillac sedan. No, it may not be as nice inside. No it may not be practical, but who cares? It's more fun.

So its strange. I could afford a Cadillac sedan. I really like them. But...there isn't any real compelling reason for me to buy one and that goes for any luxury sedan.

I suppose if they made a CT4 coupe that was fully as much of a sports car as my Camaro, I'd bite.

And I find it crazy that they aren't planning on making that car.

My ATS coupe is as fun to drive as a Camaro. I bought it instead of a Camaro, among other cars considered.

I get what you're saying. I've only owned two vehicles (out of 16) that even had four doors, and one of them was a 2014 Cherokee. My only CUV, but I do understand the appeal. It was a really easy vehicle to live with.

That being said, people got along just fine before SUVs and CUVs. Their expectations have just changed. Those kids and dogs and stuff fit into cars too. My parents took me and my three sisters on family trips in a car. I don't have a family, but I do travel and my dog can stretch out quite well in the back seat; I bought this hammock-like thing that covers the back seat for him. The ATS has somewhat less utility, but I'd rather trade that for a more enjoyable ride. I place more of a premium on that than a lot of people, being single. (My other car is an old Trans Am.)

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

SavoieRF (09-14-2019)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

As far as trading in my CUV for a fun caddy sedan--trust me, I'd love to. But in my equinox I can comfortably fit: 2 adults, 2 child seats, a good amount of luggage, and one dog in the trunk. Our dog comes with us everywhere, and I wouldn't be putting my dog in the trunk of a CT5. You can just do way more with a CUV and there is a reason people with kids buy them. You're single, so doing it all with an ATS coupe is viable
    For me, a caddy would be just a fun car. My own personal car to drive to do all the things I don't do with my CUV. Drive to work, road trips to visit friends, etc. And for those activities I'm not usually bringing the whole family, so I don't need 4 doors.

I really would consider a CT4 if they made a coupe version.
    A CT4-V coupe with the 2.7L is right up my ally.

ksr
    Thanks

As far as trading in my CUV for a fun caddy sedan--trust me, I'd love to. But in my equinox I can comfortably fit: 2 adults, 2 child seats, a good amount of luggage, and one dog in the trunk. Our dog comes with us everywhere, and I wouldn't be putting my dog in the trunk of a CT5. You can just do way more with a CUV and there is a reason people with kids buy them. You're single, so doing it all with an ATS coupe is viable
    For me, a caddy would be just a fun car. My own personal car to drive to do all the things I don't do with my CUV. Drive to work, road trips to visit friends, etc. And for those activities I'm not usually bringing the whole family, so I don't need 4 doors.

I really would consider a CT4 if they made a coupe version.
    A CT4-V coupe with the 2.7L is right up my ally.

Sadly, I think the ATS Coupe might be the last coupe from Cadillac for a very long time. That is was going out of production is actually one reason that I moved up my schedule and traded the Cherokee in January.

Some sources said that a coupe was planned for the CT5, not CT4. But the latest is that it won't happen. When you consider how poorly the ATS Coupe sold, it's not surprising.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information