GM upgrades Super Cruise driver-assist system to better match Tesla’s Autopilot

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM upgrades Super Cruise driver-assist system to better match Tesla’s Autopilot

Thanks
    Thanked 8,823 Times in 4,329 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/28/gm-u...autopilot.html

Published Tue, Jan 28 2020
    Michael Wayland

Key Points
    -GM is updating its Super Cruise driver-assist system to feature lane-changing capabilities similar to Tesla’s Autopilot.
    -The new capability will debut on the 2021 Cadillac CT5 and CT4 sedans later this year, followed by the next-generation Cadillac Escalade.
    -GM has been extremely conservative in its rollout of the technology, which debuted in 2017.

DETROIT — General Motors is updating its Super Cruise driver-assist highway system to feature lane-changing capabilities similar to Tesla’s Autopilot.

The lane-changing function as well as other enhancements to Super Cruise will debut on the 2021 Cadillac CT5 and CT4 sedans later this year, followed by the next-generation Cadillac Escalade, the company announced on Tuesday.

GM launched Super Cruise in 2017, two years after Tesla debuted Autopilot. The Detroit automaker has been extremely conservative in its rollout of the technology, despite development of the system going back a decade or so.

Due to the slower launch cadence and additional safeguards, Super Cruise has not received as much attention or scrutiny as Autopilot. Tesla has faced questions about Autopilot’s role in at least three fatal crashes and about allowing driver misuse.

Some experts consider Super Cruise to function better than Autopilot in its limited use cases, however Autopilot has offered greater capabilities, including the ability to change lanes since its launch in 2015.

Article continues at link

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (01-28-2020),Cobaltss_King (01-28-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 610 Posts

Re: GM upgrades Super Cruise driver-assist system to better match Tesla’s Autopilot

Yeah, it doesn’t have to match Tesla. Numerous tests have said Super Cruise was better than Autopilot. The anti-Cadillac bias in the auto press is showing again. What’s happening here is Cadillac is putting more distance between Super Cruise and Tesla’s autopilot.

One would think that not killing you would make Super Cruise far more capable than Tesla’s autopilot.
    Last edited by Robert1969; 01-28-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (01-31-2020),eklauss (01-29-2020),gkr778 (01-28-2020),impala02 (01-30-2020),jzchev28 (01-29-2020),mbukukanyau (01-28-2020),wallus13 (01-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,823 Times in 4,329 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: GM upgrades Super Cruise driver-assist system to better match Tesla’s Autopilot

The thought just crossed my mind as to the disadvantage all established manufacturers have vs. Tesla. Tesla/Elon Musk takes a lot of risks and the public doesn't seem to mind (or flat out just doesn't realize the additional risk), where the legacy manufacturers are very risk-adverse. All the public see's is Tesla has had this fantastic tech for years and no legacy manufacturer can come close. That is tough to compete against and come out on top. So far none of the deaths via Tesla's autopilot have made a dent, but I bet it won't go so well for the legacy manufacturers when one of their self driving cars kills someone, especially for GM. Perceptions.....

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (01-29-2020),jzchev28 (01-29-2020),richmond2000 (01-29-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,168 Times in 1,457 Posts

Considering that they can't even fix a problem that they caused with CUE and my radio with a June software update, I really wouldn't put my life in their hands with this super cruise thing. They should jack up health and auto insurance rates for anyone who buys it.

They put out a TSB that was supposed to fix the problems that I and others have with CUE. It fixes nothing. It has the exact same problems after getting the latest update.

Cadillac's IT department just be just a giant clown car. I've really come to despise them. Much as I like my car, my fantasy is too fill it with explosives, drive to Cadillac HQ, and light the fuse. Anyone who has known me for five minutes knows that I've been a GM fan for my entire life. I now would advise anyone to stay away from their garbage. Great car, the experience of which has been utterly ruined by their incompetence.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (01-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 602 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Glad to hear SuperCruise is coming to CT4/CT5 late this year (2021 Model Year)! I probably won't be able to afford it, but I'll check it out...

"The new capability will debut on the 2021 Cadillac CT5 and CT4 sedans later this year, followed by the next-generation Cadillac Escalade."
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,305 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I hope they're not following lock step with Tesla's ability to crash in their upgrading Super Cruise.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-28-2020),CMiatso DaBang (01-28-2020),eklauss (01-29-2020),jzchev28 (01-29-2020),Robert1969 (01-28-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,423 Times in 4,504 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Not a big fan of Maahkey, but occasionally he stumbles onto a good idea.

REUTERS
    Jan 24th 2020 at 2:15PM

WASHINGTON — A U.S. senator on Friday urged Tesla to rebrand its driver assistance system Autopilot, saying it has "an inherently misleading name" and is subject to potentially dangerous misuse.

But Tesla said in a letter that it had taken steps to ensure driver engagement with the system and enhance its safety features.

The electric automaker introduced new warnings for red lights and stop signs last year "to minimize the potential risk of red light- or stop sign-running as a result of temporary driver inattention," Tesla said in the letter.

Senator Edward Markey said he believed the potential dangers of Autopilot can be overcome. But he called for "rebranding and remarketing the system to reduce misuse, as well as building backup driver monitoring tools that will make sure no one falls asleep at the wheel."

Markey's comments came in a press release, with a copy of a Dec. 20 from Tesla addressing some of the Democratic senator's concerns attached.

Autopilot has been engaged in at least three Tesla vehicles involved in fatal U.S. crashes since 2016.

More...

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/24/...markey-rename/
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

eklauss (01-29-2020),jzchev28 (01-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 1,098 Posts

Must be getting it ready to go into the XT6 for its rollout....what? It's already out? man that Mary is full of ****
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks

To date, I think SuperCruise has not killed a single person. Tesla has a fair sized body count stacking up for Autopilot. But we're probably not going to read that headline in the biased press. Pretty sure if the numbers were reversed, that comparison would get tremendous coverage.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yamahr1 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-28-2020),CMiatso DaBang (01-28-2020),eklauss (01-29-2020),jzchev28 (01-29-2020),Robert1969 (01-28-2020),TruckMan (01-28-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,279 Times in 3,508 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Considering that they can't even fix a problem that they caused with CUE and my radio with a June software update, I really wouldn't put my life in their hands with this super cruise thing. They should jack up health and auto insurance rates for anyone who buys it.

They put out a TSB that was supposed to fix the problems that I and others have with CUE. It fixes nothing. It has the exact same problems after getting the latest update.

Cadillac's IT department just be just a giant clown car. I've really come to despise them. Much as I like my car, my fantasy is too fill it with explosives, drive to Cadillac HQ, and light the fuse. Anyone who has known me for five minutes knows that I've been a GM fan for my entire life. I now would advise anyone to stay away from their garbage. Great car, the experience of which has been utterly ruined by their incompetence.
    This sucks man, have you reached out to their person on Facebook? Can you reverse the install and go to prior edition of CUE?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 1,098 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    To date, I think SuperCruise has not killed a single person. Tesla has a fair sized body count stacking up for Autopilot. But we're probably not going to read that headline in the biased press. Pretty sure if the numbers were reversed, that comparison would get tremendous coverage.
    In all fairness there are probably 10000x more Teslas on the road with Autopilot vs Caddies w/ SC
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,168 Times in 1,457 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    This sucks man, have you reached out to their person on Facebook? Can you reverse the install and go to prior edition of CUE?
    I've talked to their people on Facebook and my dealership's social media people. They're just PR hacks. Anyone associated with Cadillac just tells you to go to your dealership.

I talked to Cadillac customer service today and told them that the TSB did nothing. I've talked with them in the past too. I talked to my dealership as well. I asked my service advisor today if they could just back out the November and June updates and restore to car to its original, January 2019 condition when it was perfect. Can't do that. I suppose these updates actually replace prior versions of software.

I think the only possible solution at this point is to have them rip out CUE and replace it with a completely new one. I texted the general manager of my dealership, who has contacted me in the past about my problems. He said that he'd talk to the service manager tomorrow about what to do going forward. He was at a dealer meeting in Detroit last year and said that CUE issues were widely discussed but that there are no solutions ready for some of them.

They've done the impossible. Driven me away from GM. I'm done. I've owned my car for 12 months. They broke it. And for more than half the time I've had the car, it hasn't been right. Why would anyone submit themselves to that again?
    Last edited by ksr; 01-28-2020 at 10:06 PM.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (01-28-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    The thought just crossed my mind as to the disadvantage all established manufacturers have vs. Tesla. Tesla/Elon Musk takes a lot of risks and the public doesn't seem to mind (or flat out just doesn't realize the additional risk), where the legacy manufacturers are very risk-adverse. All the public see's is Tesla has had this fantastic tech for years and no legacy manufacturer can come close. That is tough to compete against and come out on top. So far none of the deaths via Tesla's autopilot have made a dent, but I bet it won't go so well for the legacy manufacturers when one of their self driving cars kills someone, especially for GM. Perceptions.....
    What I bolded.. HUGE!!! Half way makes me thing GM should have completely changed their name back in '09.. along with each division. Of course that's crazy.. since their legacy sells cars all by itself. But yeah.. Autopilot cold kill 10 more people.. no issue from the public.. let Super-Cruise kill one.. and the press will have a field day with it. OH WAIT!!! There's your real reason.. the media. Its sorta like the whole BS of .. "The CTS is nothing but a Chevy with a Cadillac badge" even though it wasn't in any way. The media pushes negativity like a bulldozer pushing dirt and we feed into it.. especially the haters. Tesla.. remember when Teslas used to catch fire too.. and kill peoples? Me neither.. despite the fact that they kill like the Zodiac killer.. and last year is littered with their victims charred bodies.. but the press doesn't harp on it. Let that have been a GM or Ford vehicle where the owner bumped his knee getting out the car and they'd have them on federal hill
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-29-2020),eklauss (01-29-2020),jzchev28 (01-29-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,279 Times in 3,508 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I am almost certain no one said, lets improve this to 'better match' Tesla, This system is more advanced than Tesla, Its more like a cruise missile since it has internal maps, satellite system, cameras and Radar..
    The reason for the upgrade is the new electronic architecture which can process data much faster, allowing for the system to change lanes in real time safely with no lag..

Yup, this is superior, plus, you try falling asleep like in a Tesla, your ride comes to a not so screeching halt... safely...

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-29-2020),eklauss (01-29-2020),gkr778 (01-28-2020),jzchev28 (01-29-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 1,333 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I am almost certain no one said, lets improve this to 'better match' Tesla, This system is more advanced than Tesla, Its more like a cruise missile since it has internal maps, satellite system, cameras and Radar.
    Yup. If GM were to "match Tesla" with SuperCruise, they would be making SuperCruise worse.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information