GM Inside News Forum banner

GM’s Cadillac Lyriq electric SUV to feature crazy heads-up AR display

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  agwenogww_STS 
#1 ·
GM’s Cadillac Lyriq electric SUV to feature crazy heads-up AR display
By Fred Lambert

Augmented reality display technology is growing by leaps and bounds and has already been incorporated into the developer side of building autonomous vehicles.

But now, with the Cadillac Lyriq, GM’s upcoming next-gen electric SUV, we’re likely to see a user augmented reality display technology for mainstream users…

Now, we learned that the Cadillac Lyriq will also be equipped with a next-generation heads-up display (HUD).

Digital Trends reported on Envisics, a UK-based startup founded by an expert in holograms, and its latest AR-based head-up display:

What Envisics has developed is a headset-free, in-car holography system that aims to transform the way we view the road. How? By giving your car an AR overhaul more in line with the kind of HUD technology you’d ordinarily find in a fighter jet or a commercial aircraft worth many millions of dollars. Or, heck, an X-Wing.

The company confirmed that the next generation of its augmented reality HUD system is going to be in the Cadillac Lyriq.
Article continues at link above.

#2 ·
The article has same images of what the AR company claims their technology could look like but I didn't post them here as the article says they may not be representative of what Lryic will have.

I realize some folks will howl that this is more driver distractions but I think this is exactly the kind of leading edge, "conversation-piece" technology that can draw new people to Cadillac and reposition the brad as a technology leader. VW and others are also talking about cutting edge HUDs, and it would be great if GM/Cadillac can jump to the front of that trend.

#4 ·
I took this article to mean the Lyric HUD will go beyond the "small info window + flying arrows" of the S-class to a more full-featured display. But that's just my interpretation, so who knows...

Reactions: mbukukanyau
#7 ·
The new heads up display is a nice addition to the cadillac brand. I tended to think a low dash with just a heads up display could be a cool way to cut costs and imorove visability but in addition to an IP ? Not sure its money well spent.

Low cost vehicles should have the central dash like tesla (maybe smaller ipad like central panel)Id guess and then have a heads up display in place of a drivers pod of instrument panel.

Just a thought for lowering production costs.

Costs of vehicles are rosing so quickly i think innovative ideas like an exoskeleton, no paint shop required stainless body, no instrument panel interior ev would make for an imoressive 25 grand prodict sales winner.

Sure the opposite of what a cadillac would be and more along the line of chevrolet or gmc ev cuv version.

#9 ·
This system should not add too much distraction, as the demos in the article show. However, there are 2 huge benefits they should focus on: GPS guidance lines on the road that finally show you where to go exactly (no more voice guidance or other notification necessary), and warnings outlining pedestrians and other obstacles which might be hard to see.

#13 ·
IR night vision and displaying signs and such that the car can "see" but the driver in the dark can NOT + lidar based animal detection /deer in ditch does in a LOT of cars around my parts

this is the sort of thing that CADDY SHOULD be bringing out first and then GM brings to "lower" tier models with "lesser" versions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.