GMs Cadillac Lyriq electric SUV to feature crazy heads-up AR display

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GMs Cadillac Lyriq electric SUV to feature crazy heads-up AR display

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 717 Posts

By Fred Lambert

Augmented reality display technology is growing by leaps and bounds and has already been incorporated into the developer side of building autonomous vehicles.

But now, with the Cadillac Lyriq, GMs upcoming next-gen electric SUV, were likely to see a user augmented reality display technology for mainstream users

Now, we learned that the Cadillac Lyriq will also be equipped with a next-generation heads-up display (HUD).

Digital Trends reported on Envisics, a UK-based startup founded by an expert in holograms, and its latest AR-based head-up display:

What Envisics has developed is a headset-free, in-car holography system that aims to transform the way we view the road. How? By giving your car an AR overhaul more in line with the kind of HUD technology youd ordinarily find in a fighter jet or a commercial aircraft worth many millions of dollars. Or, heck, an X-Wing.

The company confirmed that the next generation of its augmented reality HUD system is going to be in the Cadillac Lyriq.
    Article continues at link above.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks

Re: GMs Cadillac Lyriq electric SUV to feature crazy heads-up AR display

The article has same images of what the AR company claims their technology could look like but I didn't post them here as the article says they may not be representative of what Lryic will have.

I realize some folks will howl that this is more driver distractions but I think this is exactly the kind of leading edge, "conversation-piece" technology that can draw new people to Cadillac and reposition the brad as a technology leader. VW and others are also talking about cutting edge HUDs, and it would be great if GM/Cadillac can jump to the front of that trend.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-19-2020),mbukukanyau (10-19-2020),rand49er (10-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,614 Posts

Mercedes has this in the new S Class
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Mercedes has this in the new S Class
    I took this article to mean the Lyric HUD will go beyond the "small info window + flying arrows" of the S-class to a more full-featured display. But that's just my interpretation, so who knows...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (10-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 481 Posts
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

Notice those images are showing the vehicle in full autonomous mode. So no the Lyriq won't have that. Right away at least.

More discussion about this here:
    https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...ty-hud-298777/

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,494 Times in 4,143 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    I took this article to mean the Lyric HUD will go beyond the "small info window + flying arrows" of the S-class to a more full-featured display. But that's just my interpretation, so who knows...

Cadillac already delivered augmented reality, Mercedes does not deliver till 2021

Last edited by mbukukanyau; 10-19-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,110 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

The new heads up display is a nice addition to the cadillac brand. I tended to think a low dash with just a heads up display could be a cool way to cut costs and imorove visability but in addition to an IP ? Not sure its money well spent.

Low cost vehicles should have the central dash like tesla (maybe smaller ipad like central panel)Id guess and then have a heads up display in place of a drivers pod of instrument panel.

Just a thought for lowering production costs.

Costs of vehicles are rosing so quickly i think innovative ideas like an exoskeleton, no paint shop required stainless body, no instrument panel interior ev would make for an imoressive 25 grand prodict sales winner.

Sure the opposite of what a cadillac would be and more along the line of chevrolet or gmc ev cuv version.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-20-2020),mbukukanyau (10-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,614 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    The S does more than just the floating arrows if I'm not mistaken... the floating arrows were showcased in the demo during the release, but it is capable of more than just that.

Re 2021 Escalades thing...doing an AR HUD vs in dash display is a little harder because the HUD has to take into account POV calculations in rendering the floating notifications. not trying to turn this into a this vs that game but both the S and Escalade are MY21 products so neither beat neither to the market with anything if we're talking about timing.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 10-20-2020 at 03:15 AM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 eb110americana's Avatar
    Thanks

This system should not add too much distraction, as the demos in the article show. However, there are 2 huge benefits they should focus on: GPS guidance lines on the road that finally show you where to go exactly (no more voice guidance or other notification necessary), and warnings outlining pedestrians and other obstacles which might be hard to see.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to eb110americana For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,592 Times in 5,131 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

It's cool and whoever does it first will make a splash. And it will have tremendous safety benefits - I'm all for that!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information