GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Reveals Cadillac Lyriq

16K views 137 replies 49 participants last post by  steve333 
#1 ·
LYRIQ Show Car Leads Cadillac Into Electric Future
The brand’s first all-electric vehicle introduces a new era in luxury, technology and zero-tailpipe-emissions performance
General Motors

August 6th, 2020

Cadillac’s introduction of its electric portfolio begins today with the debut of the LYRIQ show car — a dynamic, modern and fully electric luxury crossover.

The propulsion system and supporting technologies position Cadillac to be a leader in electrification, connectivity and automated driving, all delivered with thrilling performance and a new threshold in technology integration.

“Led by LYRIQ, Cadillac will redefine American luxury over the next decade with a new portfolio of transformative EVs,” said Steve Carlisle, executive vice president and president, GM North America. “We will deliver experiences that engage the senses, anticipate desires and enable our customers to go on extraordinary journeys.”

The LYRIQ is based on GM’s next-generation, modular electric vehicle platform and driven by the Ultium propulsion system, allowing Cadillac to deliver customers a variety of range and performance options. With range being one of the biggest factors when it comes to selecting an EV, we’re designing LYRIQ to offer beyond 300 miles of range on a full charge, based on internal testing1. Performance and technology highlights include:

• Charging options that fit a variety of preferences for home, the workplace and on the road — including DC fast charging rates over 150 kilowatts and Level 2 charging rates up to 19 kW2.
  • Rear-wheel drive and performance all-wheel drive configurations.
  • The latest version of Super Cruise3, the industry’s first truly hands-free driver assistance feature, available on more than 200,000 miles of compatible highways and recently enhanced to include automated lane change.
  • New technologies such as dual-plane augmented reality-enhanced head-up display and remote self-parking.
  • The brand’s most seamless and adaptive technology interaction with the driver and passengers, including the latest Cadillac user experience, which is showcased in a 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED screen the spans the entire viewing area of the driver.

“LYRIQ was conceived to make every journey exhilarating and leverages more than a century of innovation to drive the brand into a new era, while rewarding passengers with a more personal, connected and immersive experience,” said Jamie Brewer, Cadillac LYRIQ chief engineer. “To do this we developed an architecture specifically for EVs. It is not only an exceptional EV, but first and foremost a Cadillac.”

LIBERATING PERFORMANCE
Some luxury EVs today feature adapted traditional internal combustion engine architecture, that is not the case with LYRIQ. Cadillac’s all-new, modular EV platform on which the LYRIQ is based is the foundation for its liberating performance. With a dedicated EV architecture, its design eliminates significant physical constraints associated with adapting electric propulsion within a conventional vehicle architecture, for an optimized design that supports greater driving range, an engaging driving experience and a new interpretation of passenger space.

Within the LYRIQ, the Ultium battery system is a structural element of the architecture, integrated in ways that contribute to ride and handling, as well as safety. In fact, the lower center of gravity and near 50/50 weight distribution enabled by the placement of the battery pack results in a vehicle that’s sporty, responsive and allows for spirited driving.

Additionally, the LYRIQ is driven primarily by the rear wheels, with a performance all-wheel drive option available. The placement of the drive motor at the rear of the vehicle contributes an even greater feeling of balance and agility — attributes that affirm Cadillac’s longstanding commitment to satisfying performance. It also enables the system to channel more torque to the pavement without wheelspin for exhilarating acceleration and greater cornering capability. Vehicles equipped with performance all-wheel drive go a step further, with a second drive unit placed at the front of the vehicle, which allows for a significant amount of tuning flexibility, enhancing vehicle dynamics and performance for drivers.

ALL-NEW ULTIUM BATTERY SYSTEM
The Cadillac LYRIQ is powered by GM’s new Ultium battery system, which offers approximately 100 kilowatt-hours of energy to deliver stirring performance.

Ultium’s state-of-the-art NCMA (nickel-cobalt-manganese-aluminum) chemistry uses aluminum in the cathode to help reduce the need for rare-earth materials such as cobalt. In fact, GM engineers reduced the cobalt content by more than 70 percent, compared to current GM batteries.

The advanced battery chemistry is packed in large, flat pouch cells that enable smart module construction to reduce complexity and simplify cooling needs. Additionally, the battery electronics are incorporated directly into the modules, eliminating nearly 90 percent of the battery pack wiring, compared to GM’s current electric vehicles.

When it comes to charging, LYRIQ offers quick and convenient charging options whether at home or on the go. With DC fast charging, the LYRIQ can charge at rates over 150 kW.

ARTFULLY INTEGRATED TECHNOLOGY
Envisioned to make interaction with its technologies more intuitive and rewarding, the LYRIQ’s partnership with the driver and passengers is simultaneously energizing and artful.

Upon approach, the LYRIQ recognizes the driver and initiates a “greeting” with a choreographed lighting sequence, while also preparing the cabin for the journey, including seat, mirror and climate system adjustments. Once inside, the LYRIQ offers Cadillac’s highest level of driver information, infotainment and connectivity integration, for a more seamless and rewarding experience.

A 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED display artfully integrates a single, large screen that spans the viewing area for the driver and incorporates driver information details, infotainment controls and camera views. This new display has the highest pixel density available in the automotive industry today and can display over one billion colors, 64 times more than any other vehicle in the automotive industry, providing a stunning in-vehicle experience unlike anything seen before from Cadillac.

Additional technology and interactive highlights include:

• Battery and charging monitoring conveyed by easy, at-a-glance graphics. The system identifies the vehicle’s energy needs at home and on the go, according to owner preferences, while also monitoring and forecasting energy consumption and providing charging suggestions.
  • New dual-plane augmented reality-enhanced head-up display employs two planes: a near plane indicating speed, direction and more, and a far plane displaying transparent navigation signals and other important alerts.
  • The latest version of Super Cruise, the hands-free driver assistance feature, including automated lane change.3
  • Supervised remote parking that uses ultrasonic sensors to help the LYRIQ park itself in parallel or perpendicular parking spaces — whether the driver is inside or outside of the vehicle.4

SENSE OF SOUND
LYRIQ’s technology also addresses sound in two important ways: Blocking unwanted sounds and making the most of the sounds passengers want to hear.

For the first time, Cadillac will introduce a new road noise cancellation technology, which takes active noise cancellation to the next level by introducing more microphones and accelerometers, which improve noise cancellation abilities. With this new system, Cadillac’s performance and audio engineers can target the frequency range of tire cavity noise, reducing the noise level in the vehicle and allowing for a quieter in-cabin experience.

The Cadillac LYRIQ builds on the brand’s exclusive partnership with AKG. “With LYRIQ we wanted to deliver a sound experience that would transport the driver from a vehicle into a recording studio,” said Hussein Khalil, Cadillac lead audio design release engineer. “With the AKG sound system, we are able to deliver this experience along with the quality and reliability luxury customers expect.”

At launch, LYRIQ will offer a 19-speaker AKG Studio audio system that delivers exceptionally crisp and precise sound reproduction, enabling drivers and passengers to enjoy their favorite music.

NEW FACE OF CADILLAC
Cadillac’s first electric SUV makes a bold design statement that introduces a new face, proportion and presence for the brand’s new generation of EVs. It’s a forward-looking vision unconstrained by the needs of a traditional internal combustion engine and driveline.

“The LYRIQ represents the next iteration of the iconic brand’s styling, enabled by electrification, as only Cadillac can express,” said Andrew Smith, executive director, Global Cadillac Design. “Inside and out, LYRIQ is a thoughtful integration of design and technology and is intended to make every drive an occasion.”

Defined by taut lines and clean surfaces, LYRIQ is assertive and modern, characterized with a low, fast roofline and wide stance that emphasize agility and convey confidence. Additional details such as a flow-through roof spoiler express the careful attention paid to aerodynamics to optimize efficiency on the highway.

A distinctive “black crystal” grille in the front is one of the LYRIQ’s most unique and expressive design elements. It is also a dynamic feature, as it is part of a dramatic lighting choreography that — along with bold vertical, slim LED signature lighting — greets the owner upon approach. At the rear, a split taillamp design incorporates slim LEDs that are also integrated into the lighting choreography.

Inside, the LYRIQ’s new electric vehicle architecture opens up possibilities in vehicle spaciousness and design; and Cadillac designers used this as an opportunity to rethink how to use the space and where to locate various interior elements.

The result is a more airy, minimalistic design that does more to involve the driver and passengers in the driving experience while offering exceptional functionality when it comes to storage solutions. It is also brimming with subtle yet obsessive details such as backlit speaker grilles, curved screens with hidden storage and, like the exterior, orchestrated lighting features.

See less See more
1 13
#3 ·
I’m liking what I see. Since this is based off of the sedan. I should be quite impressed with the sedan.

#4 ·
It’s absolutely stunning. And elegant. Powerful looking. Kinda reminds me of past Cadillacs but futurized. I like most everything. However...is this the actual car or another concept? I like the technology which will trickle into new cars but I didn’t actually hear that this is production ready so I’m not excited for yet more hot air from Cadillac

#6 ·
The shape is very interesting. There's more than a hint of sedan about it - the greenhouse opening is completely sedan, and the fast shape of the the roof aft of the passengers breaks it up so it doesn't read as part of a box. Unlike every SUV ever, they haven't put glass back there to complete the box. It's not a box, but it's still got the SUV stance and space everyone wants. Nobody's done anything quite like this yet. They get huge credit for doing something interesting. Now they just have to not screw it up for production.

Can I just add that I'm a total sucker for the re-evocation of the '67 Eldorado in the taillights? That's a stunning detail if they bring it to production.

#12 · (Edited)
Interesting.

Some great elements, and some "blah" ones too. No loving the rear end, and the "after thought" way the vertical lighting elements are added in to somehow mimic the historic tailfin look.

Regardless, none of that matters in comparison to the actual presentation itself. It had to be one of the worst vehicle intros I've ever seen. Ever.

For all the money they have at GM, you'd think they could hire an outside entity who knows how to build excitement in a vehicle introduction. There was no showmanship. Nothing to get the pulse going.

Honestly, they didn't even have to do an actual "intro" with GM brass and designers, etc. Ford introduced the Bronco, and most of that was done with Bryan Cranston narrating a sweeping, visually stimulating product video.

Why couldn't GM do the same? The "handing it off" to so many people under the design dome was poorly done. Their was not levity to it. It was like they were giving a presentation to their Board, with little pizzazz to speak of.

The shape is very interesting. There's more than a hint of sedan about it - the greenhouse opening is completely sedan, and the fast shape of the the roof aft of the passengers breaks it up so it doesn't read as part of a box.
I had the same thought. The way that c-pillar and lighting elements work, it gives it a bit of a sedan greenhouse look, while still making it crossover-esque. It's clever, but don't know if it will survive to production. The way the sheet-metal after of the c-pillar is "scallopped" is a nice touch, and screams "expensive" (so GM will likely drop it).

Did anyone listen to the blather? Anything of interest, besides virtue-signaling?
Nope...never do...just saw a bunch of ill fitting suits and ungroomed lifers yapping about stuff I didn't care about. They said "Ultium" more than mbuk has in the past few days.
I watched it all -- and it was time poorly spent.

GM brass may be very, very good at some things. But it doesn't make them good at all things. With the possible exception of Reuss, no one who was there should have been speaking. You can be the most talented engineer, marketing professional, or designer on the planet, but have no business giving a presentation or stepping foot in front of a microphone.

And honestly, that's normal. For every Bob Lutz, Lee Iacocca, Bill Ford, John De Lorean, or Sergio Marchionne who can regale attendants with stories and bravado, there are 1000 corporate duds who have no personality or sense of salesmanship. That very much came across tonight.

Honestly, if I were GM, I'd have a really talented team of spokes people who possess all those skills -- and leave it to them to every presser or introduction. If you want to hear from the designers or engineers, they should only do so in video presentation snippets with dramatic background music and visuals. Never in playing these seriously heavyhanded "Now, let's here from Steve on Caddy's future" type moments.

#9 · (Edited)
Front LED pattern needs to change, I'd go for a body colored outlining and the inner LED area patterned to match the current gen's grille pattern...hell since it's LEDs, I'd have customizable LED patterns in there (Wiremesh, dot patterned, etc). and the Lower LEDs in the rear need to go...otherwise I like it.

#11 ·
Did anyone listen to the blather? Anything of interest, besides virtue-signaling?
Nope...never do...just saw a bunch of ill fitting suits and ungroomed lifers yapping about stuff I didn't care about. They said "Ultium" more than mbuk has in the past few days.

#36 ·
Watched the video. While it is “tech forward” and contemporary in its styling, it definitely is a throwback to the days of the ‘67 Eldorado when Cadillac was unafraid of creating a car with bold striking design. This is the most desirable production intent vehicle Cadillac has built since then.

#21 ·
I don't love, but I don't hate it either. I will say I like it better than any other all electric crossover I've seen so far, especially the hideous Model X! As usual, it'll be interesting to see how the design makes the transition to production. Also that rear pillar makes the CT5's look, ummm, better? Looks pretty good from every angle that hides the back end.

#23 · (Edited)
Well...I generally like the proportions and profile of the vehicle, but it also commits the cardinal sin of an EV which is that it's largely a single box design. It's aerodynamic, but it's also inappropriate for anything trying to resemble a utility or performance vehicle. I assume Caddy will have other vehicles with a stronger SUV presence. But I know if Lincoln went this route, I'd be disappointed. This is too close to just being a wagon.

I flat-out hate the graphics on the back of this car. The back-end is flooded with bright red plastics in nonsensical patterns that can be seen from nearly every angle. It's an absolute bizarre in-elegant whimsical mess and one of the worst designs I've ever seen. Some of the other graphics look pretty good, like the wide front-end and vertical pieces.

So much of the interior is fiction so it's hard to know where the real car is. I think I'd actually prefer the production design with richer colors and materials and less of the technical showcase with glossy plastic and metal surfaces.

The one thing that remains largely a mystery or not terribly provocative are the EV specs. No big range promises or performance figures which tells us this is still very early. GM is going to be pretty late to the market with an EV that handle 300+ miles of range and fast charging, especially one that isn't an expensive luxury vehicle or truck.

#48 ·
And now it should be crystal clear why the XT6 is the XT6, and that those incessantly peddling the idea Cadillac's destiny was to be 'FWD, near-luxury, American Acuras' were shortsighted or biased. This is first-fruits from GM's A-Teams that have been sequestered on EV projects.

My gripes with Lyriq are minor while many other expectations were exceeded. The main nit for me is the lighted diagonal-lines pattern used for the 'grille' area.

Seeing them externally lit I think they look better. Conceptually I think the idea is brilliant and makes for an elegant grille or EV grille replacement. My issue is with the lines on the sides that don't connect. It seems there could have been a better geometric solution (for example how the lines meet at the center).

I love the drama at the rear, especially from the 3/4 angle. That c-pillar is wild and a classic example of GM design innovation.

I actually REALLY like the taillights but the upper and lower elements seem at odds with each other when lighted. Perhaps seeing it in person will make the difference as is often the case with GM models.

This is an interesting image of a clay shared by BahamaTodd. I know it's rough and the picture is grainy but there are some important nuances that appear absent. I hope Lyriq doesn't get the typical show car-to-production treatment. It needs to have a little show car left in to establish it as something genuinely new (this is after all entirely unique, next-gen stuff!).
I found this video. The interior shots/renderings look fantastic. Don't dumb it down Cadillac!

#25 ·
I’m loving the rear 3/4 view. Truly unique. I really am impressed by this design, and the interior I’d already seen, and it’s brilliant. Once they remove a few show car details, (mostly inside, for instance the seats) the production car should still look pretty darn competitive in it’s respective segment. This looks worthy of the $75-100K I’m assuming it will cost.

#38 ·
85% production. It shouldn’t change too much. The seats will have to have more padding for production, but it’s the best looking SUV on the Market. It’s a million times better looking than the Model X.

Reactions: SKH
#30 ·
At first blush, I like it. I like the high-riding style of this vehicle, and the rear tail lights. The show car seats look uncomfortable. Hopefully those will change for production. The light-up emblem (and the light-up sequence) is as gimmicky as the Mercedes-Benz version. Maybe that too will get toned down for production.

The dual-plane HUD is cool.

#40 ·
Some people are seeing Lexus in this design, but I’m not seeing it. I hate every Lexus but one. The Lexus LC 500. Its a design that with all of it’s quirky details simply shouldn’t work, and yet it is all kinds of magnificent.

The Lyriq is similar in this respect. If someone described all of the elements that go to make up the Lyriq’s Rear end design, you’d swear it wouldn’t work. And yet just like the Lexus it transcends the sum of it’s parts, and is (Imo) a knock your socks off design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.