GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Confirms 3.6 Liter V6 for 2013 Cadillac ATS

24K views 162 replies 76 participants last post by  Dr.Show-Me 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
GM gives prospective buyers another engine choice
www.gminsidenews.com
December 21, 2011
By: Mark Bono

While discussing testing around the Nordschleife in Germany, GM confirmed another engine choice for the upcoming 2013 Cadillac ATS. In addition to the new 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, Cadillac's small car will feature GM's familiar 3.6-liter V-6. While power numbers were not revealed, GMI expects it to produce similar power to the CTS. While not confirmed yet, a third engine choice is also expected to be GM's new 2.5-liter Ecotec four-cylinder, serving as the base engine. The 2.5-liter and 3.6-liter V-6 are expected to feature GM's second generation six-speed automatic transmission only.

The 270 horsepower 2.0-liter turbo will be available with both six-speed manual and automatic transmissions. This transmission arrangement is not surprising as GMI has been told the 2.0-liter turbo will be marketed as the sport/performance trim level, while the more refined V-6 will be the luxury trim level on the ATS. A similar trim level setup is on the current CTS, though with two V-6 offerings. Cadillac also confirmed that the ATS will utilize the second generation Cadillac Magnetic Ride Control suspension.

The 2013 Cadillac ATS will be unveiled in January at the Detroit International Auto Show and GMI will be there to cover it. So stay tuned!

Press Release

See less See more
#3 ·
They need to just give us all the info already atleast of even if they don't show us the actual car.

#5 · (Edited)
This would be actual news if they were announcing the 3.6 in the Buick Regal GS. If it wasn't offered in the ATS, Caddy would be lambasted FOREVER throughout the online auto community.

#9 ·
I wish it was but not really. Again, we have to say give it 10 more years lol

#10 ·
Nice hardware.

Things are lining up for the ATS. Its going to be hard for people to ignore a bold, sporty sedan with segment leading technology such as MRC and CUE. Not to mention, the interior is going to be a breath of fresh air compared to the cold and lifeless interiors of its German competitors.

The CTS-V already proved that Cadillac can beat BMW at their own game, but Cadillac needs to be about more than that and I think the ATS will deliver on many fronts.

This is the Alpha; the beginning. Let's see how bad Cadillac wants to be #1 when they unveil the car next month.

#12 ·
The three models they have to get spot on are the ATS, CTS and ULS then both BMW and MB will have problems.

#14 ·
Hope it's much lighter than the CTS, otherwise the 3.6 won't give it much more performance. I still think the ATS is now the spiritual second gen CTS(it even looks like the first gen CTS), and the third gen CTS is going to be the spiritual successor to the STS. Interesting how we have heard basically NOTHING about the next CTS other than they decided to keep the coupe.

#15 ·
Hope it's much lighter than the CTS, otherwise the 3.6 won't give it much more performance. I still think the ATS is now the spiritual second gen CTS(it even looks like the first gen CTS), and the third gen CTS is going to be the spiritual successor to the STS. Interesting how we have heard basically NOTHING about the next CTS other than they decided to keep the coupe.

The 2.0T will be the performance model.

#20 ·
Yea, i hope it gets the 7-speed manual

#22 ·
Cadillac needs to offer the 3.6 V6 with a manual transmission option. I'd pay Cadillac money for that, but not for a four cylinder turbo. Leave those to Buick.

#31 ·
The difference in ratings comes down to the different sizes and shapes of the engine bays giving intakes and exhaust systems that are different shapes. Its possible that the same intake and exhaust that is in the CTS will fit and as a result will be used. Its also possible that the tuning can get revised as I remember reading that the goal was 330BHP for the 3.6L. I am much more interested in the weight then rather this engine produces 320-330BHP as the weight is going to have the biggest impact on actual performance.

As far as would be nice if Cadillac used a smaller displacement engine with a bigger turbo though........

Last I remember reading it was going to use the 3.0L V-6 engine for the TT setup (why would you want to go smaller then that) and it will have a 2.0L turbo engine as well. Also why would you want to use an engine that is the recipe for turbo lag, bigger turbos have bigger turbines. Bigger turbines have more mass which means that it takes more exhaust pressure to get it spinning up to the rpms in which it needs to be at to make any real boost. To get to 450BHP you wouldn't want a 1.0L engine with a giant turbo and a bunch of boost as that will get you a bunch of turbo lag. A 3.0L (or 3.6L even) would allow you to use smaller turbos and that combined with tuning can greatly reduce (or remove) turbo lag something very important for a performance vehicle.

Also turbo setups in performance vehicles can be a serious issue when you are running lap after lap after lap. Everything can get really hot under the hood which will cause a drop in horsepower and torque (this also happens to NA engines but to a lesser extent). As a result its going to be very important to engineer the ATS V with an adequate cooling system in order to keep things running at an ideal temperature.

#32 ·
Wait a minute!.. The 'performance' engine is the smallest offering?.. seriously?.. I don't want some weird small turbo 4 banger engine. C'mon guys, there's no replacement for displacement! Does that mean I want the largest engine that can be crammed into the bay? Of course not, but this is Cadillac, it should have a 6 cylinder at a minimum. There are refinement issues. Four cylinder engines are incapable of delivering an appropriate exhaust note.

#33 ·
[QStrange you say that because the GEN 5 is now being built in plant 1 in Tonawanda NY. The assembly line is ordered and being shipped NOW. We have just completed one module ( complete and the assembly line for the LGE ( eco/tec ) .

And there is a V6 module to the Gen 5 V8 To follow.

This is fact.

There will not be any V8's here, but a TTV6 will make up for it in the V. :yup:[/QUOTE]

#42 ·
BMW would have to be crazy and arrogant not to be worried about this car. It will be another car that can possible take a slice of their pie...the 3 series is the bulk of their sales. With the CTS selling in numbers comparable to the 5 series this car could take market share from the entry market like the G35/37 did.With GM having money in the bank you better watch your back.

#48 ·
This really isn't new news, GM announced the ATS engine lineup last week in the press release on the new 2.0L T:

"The new 2.0T highlights a broad engine lineup that will power the ATS which is slated to begin production next summer. Cadillac will also offer a normally aspirated 2.5L four cylinder engine and a 3.6L V-6 engine in the ATS."

#54 · (Edited)
Sure we as rumor sites knew the ATS is getting the 3.6 V6, but this is the first time GM confirmed it themselves.

My sources say the 2.5 will be a diesel.

I'm cornfused, the performance model will have less power than the luxury model? Who is running this show? Reuss? This goes right along with, what was at least attributed to him, that the CTS-v engine isn't good because it shares components with the truck motor, while he doesn't seem to care that the top-of-the-line Cadillac car is the same chassis and motor as a Malibu or Impala, but I digress.
This is similar to the CTS. The 3.0 liter V6 is seen as the performance trim and the 3.6 liter V6 as the luxury trim. It's why the 3.0 V6 has a manual transmission optional and the 3.6 liter V6 is automatic only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.