GM Inside News Forum banner

First Drive Review: 2019 Cadillac CT6

5K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  dannyg 
#1 ·
The 2019 Cadillac CT6 is a glimpse of what could have been.
Motor Authority
July 8, 2019
By: Joel Feder

Cadillac's lost. The CT6 was supposed to be the start of something great. Its Omega platform was set to underpin an even larger flagship sedan and possibly a crossover SUV. Now, the 2019 Cadillac CT6 is the automaker's headliner sedan and it, and its Omega platform, are likely to drive into the sunset after 2020.

For 2019, the CT6 was refreshed with a sharper design, a reworked powertrain lineup, and an updated infotainment system. It's all a taste of what a true Cadillac full-size flagship sedan could have been, but won't be.

After a taste I want more, which makes the demise of Omega and CT6 quite a shame.

Full article available at link.

See less See more
#2 ·
My only critique of the review is the slight amount of shade thrown at ‘artificial weighting’ in the steering systems of cars where the same can be adjusted in contrast to the CT6 which has no adjustment. I personally find adjustable steering a waste as well, get the steering right and just leave it there in my opinion. But, these cars are all artificially weighted in this area including the CT6. That is, of course, assuming that the CT6 has electronically assisted power steering which I can’t imagine it lacks. If it doesn’t, Count me both amazed and impressed.

#4 ·
Is it a definite that the CT6 is history? I thought it survived the chopping block and that the initial announcement that it was through was said to be incorrect.

How can you ditch a platform as new as Omega?

#7 ·
Beautiful car.. and based on my own experience with the CT6 3.0L in previous years.. spot on in most every way. IN truth.. there is absolutely zero reason why with the V8 and a few.. and I mean about $500 worth of upgrades,.. this shouldn't be instantly preferred over the S-Class and 7 Series. And the LOOKS.. Not even close after seeing the big face nose on the BMW

#9 ·

In White just for perspective.. not even close in elegance and sheer beauty

#15 · (Edited)

A couple things:

The 2019 Model year is essentially over. They've certainly taken their time in driving it.

Now, the 2019 Cadillac CT6 is the automaker's headliner sedan and it, and its Omega platform, are likely to drive into the sunset after 2020.
Like others, I'd like to know just how the author knows this.

After a taste I want more, which makes the demise of Omega and CT6 quite a shame.
This makes it seem he's never driven a CT6 before, but later in the article he mentions having driven one on at least two previous occasions.

Unless GM/Cadillac is able to leverage the Omega platform with at least one more model, I don't see how they can afford to go on producing it. Sales are low and it has to be a very costly thing to build. I suspect this is why they are now limiting engine availability and raising the base price, attempting to narrow losses somewhat. The CT6 does out sell most of its competition (check out A8 and LS sales), but those competitors build those cars in one factory that supplies the world.

I think if they go ahead and set up production at another plant, that will indicate a new model or models on Omega are in the works. Otherwise it may be China production or none at all for the NA Market.

#17 ·
#19 ·
Wow - annualized that is 266k vehicles! Annualizing USA results is another 150k vehicles - combined that's 416,000, throw in the rest of the worldwide sales (I know - pretty small outside of USA/China)and they are approaching 500,000. Not the way we all wanted Cadillac to approach the 500k goal, via strong Chinese sales, but the more sales Cadillac has, the more resources GM will throw at them - no matter where the market is.

And agreed, if the CT6 is imported from China I think it will destine the CT6 to death. But hopefully all the tariff talk, etc. will be enough to scare off GM from seriously considering China.

#20 ·
How can anyone look at that car and not be impressed? They have to stick with this. The car market isn't going to completely evaporate.

This car is at the very least as good as its competition, and it in terms of appearance and road presence I think it blows them away. This car has the aura of something that costs $50K more than it does.

#25 ·
The CT6 is a beautiful car in person. Its got a very good look to it. I think the current CT6 is going a way but a new one may be coming. GM is consolidating its platforms and Omega is not in that list. So it makes since but moving production could mean the new platform will spawn a New CT6 or its replacement.

Local dealer somehow had a CT5 on the road. Maybe preproduction and that car is sharp.

#27 ·
I've been seeing more CT6's these days (NYC suburbs) than Tesla's of late. It an extremely beautiful car inside and out. This vehicle, in my mind, was the first iteration of building an excellent vehicle that nips at the heels of S-class and 7-series vehicles but at Infiniti and/or Acura/Lexus prices.

All of that being said, that was then--this is now. The release of JdN to me and others was a clear indication of a shift in strategy at GM--the likes of which have yet to be fully played out--mainly, in my opinion because they do not really know what that strategy other than "not what they did".

Omega platform is in the right direction for me (regardless of propulsion), but, the current CT4/5 etc. to me seem to much like lowered CUVs than anything else. So, I think part of the direction change for GM was to create sedans lowered CUVs instead of CUVs as lifted hatchbacks...

In addition, I still believe the strategy change has in its plans an objective where GM and others think that most consumers post-X-gen'ers will only afford one vehicle but need two and that second one will be a shared platform a 'la Uber and others. So, getting CUV's right with maximum passenger seating and comfort regardless of styling is the end point. Getting there will be years of moaning and groaning of its current X-gen and Baby Boomer consumers but the future doesn't lie there...

So, GM and others have bought into this (forget electric and/or autonomous) shareable essential Taxi service as a second car. The reason why they've bought this is because they can up the price of the so-called "first car" to a level that forces consumers to only use shareable platform for the second car--leaving the likes of GM making enormous margin on the first car while at the same time have total control over the shareable platform consumer.

#28 ·
What about the CT5 and CT4 are "lowered CUV's"? I'm don't see what you are, especially being on the alpha chassis... I suspect the CT4 will sit as low to the ground as my ATS, the same car my wife feels vulnerable in because it is so low to the ground and small.

#30 ·
Not sure why, but my local dealer is running TV ads showing the new CT-6 front end. I don't recall them ever running ads before showing CT-6. Be interesting to see how it plays out. I think the new front end is much better looking, and apparently so does my dealer.

#33 ·
I know there is a desire to keep Omega a Cadillac exclusive, but spread the love to Buick and let them build the Avenir concept as a flagship sedan and a GT style coupe like the Avista concept that takes cues from the Grand National of the 80s. Cadillac is moving away from coupes, so let Buick fill that void. The two Buicks don't need V8s, they can make due with TTV6s with hybrids. Even downsize the Avenir so it's smaller than the CT6 but slightly bigger than the CT5.

#56 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.