First Drive: The New Cadillac CT4-V Sports Sedan Handles Better Than Your Supercar

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: First Drive: The New Cadillac CT4-V Sports Sedan Handles Better Than Your Supercar

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 683 Posts

First Drive: The New Cadillac CT4-V Sports Sedan Handles Better Than Your Supercar

During a test-drive on SoCal’s Ortega Highway, the sport sedan impressed us with incredible handling—but is this new Caddy really all that?
    Robb Report
    July 10, 2020
    MANUEL CARRILLO III

Perched upon a mountain overlooking the lake 1,800 feet below, I push the 2020 Cadillac CT4-V‘s start button and head back toward the coast, down the stretch of Ortega that I just ascended. I have no worries about the challenging tarmac ahead of me, for I’m driving one of the most planted-feeling machines I’ve ever tested. Cadillac‘s new, small sports sedan was made for roads like this.

The CT4 is Cadillac‘s replacement for the ATS, which also has fantastic handling. Both cars share the same GM Alpha chassis—one of my all-time favorite platforms. A few years ago, I got to shake down an ATS-V at Willow Springs International Raceway and I was blown away by how that car felt more at home on a racetrack than a few supercars I’ve tested.

Behind the wheel of the CT4-V, I feel a similar level of confidence. The new Caddy rides on MacPherson struts up front and a five-link setup in back. My all-wheel-drive tester uses ZF MVS (Modular Valve System) passive dampers, which do a great job at minimizing body motion while still offering a comfortable ride. The standard, rear-wheel-drive CT4-V uses even more advanced magnetorheological shocks, which I can imagine are even better for handling and ride.

The CT4-V’s impressive suspension is complemented by the most remarkable summer tires I’ve experienced on any car. The model is shod with Continental’s new SportContact 6 SSR run-flat rubber. These tires amplify the vehicle’s superb chassis tuning, and are so much fun and confidence-inspiring at—and even just past—the limits of adhesion. The tread pattern is rather slick but very grippy. Take a turn too fast, and the CT4-V progressively begins to step off its arc, giving you plenty of reaction time for adjusting the throttle to get the car back in line. The prodigious grip also translates to incredible stopping power, giving me clearance to dive harder into turns.

Read more at link above...
    Last edited by Robert1969; 07-10-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (07-10-2020),eklauss (07-15-2020),gkr778 (07-11-2020),supraracer (07-10-2020),wallus13 (07-13-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    It’s really strange to me how there is such a divergence of opinion from the V to the Non V models on the CT4/5. While the Vs are touted as near best in class (especially from a performance perspective) in most reviews the non Vs are just the opposite. Considering that the Vs will likely be ~10% of sales Cadillac needs to find a better strategy. Especially since the Vs are ~$5k premium to PL and Sport where I bet 75% of the volume is. It would seem the Vs would be a better option for a much bigger proportion (maybe 25%?)

Offering MRC on the 2021 CT5 sport is a good start.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneakers For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (07-11-2020),wallus13 (07-13-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,793 Times in 3,771 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakers View Post
    It’s really strange to me how there is such a divergence of opinion from the V to the Non V models on the CT4/5. While the Vs are touted as near best in class (especially from a performance perspective) in most reviews the non Vs are just the opposite. Considering that the Vs will likely be ~10% of sales Cadillac needs to find a better strategy. Especially since the Vs are ~$5k premium to PL and Sport where I bet 75% of the volume is. It would seem the Vs would be a better option for a much bigger proportion (maybe 25%?)

Car and Driver has an Agenda

. This is the best Chassis in the business.

This is

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

rand49er (07-11-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: First Drive: The New Cadillac CT4-V Sports Sedan Handles Better Than Your Superca

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakers View Post

I wouldn’t worry about there opinions one bit. Remember the CTS even in its old age finished well in comparisons. BMW has gone the softer route on the suspension tuning on most of there models. GM has done the same and most buyers will appreciate it. The good lease deals will be the deal breaker on whether the sedans will have any staying power.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,957 Times in 1,502 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Re: First Drive: The New Cadillac CT4-V Sports Sedan Handles Better Than Your Superca

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post

This is
    Car and Driver, along with others, correctly pointed out that even the best chassis in the business can be dumbed down. For CT4 and CT5, the ideal configuration from a chassis perspective is Magnetic Ride Control 4.0 + FE3 suspension tune + Rear Wheel Drive. FE3 + All Wheel Drive (as with Robb Report's test car) is next best.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 683 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post

This is
    It goes to what I was saying in the other thread. Car and Driver (and most of the auto press) doesn’t want to understand the mission of the non-V’s. Primarily, those are meant to move metal, which means they are built to satisfy actual consumers and not car mag jocks.

They are emphasizing comfort, aesthetics, and technology. Because really, that’s where most of the market is at. The V’s exist for those who want a performance sedan and really cares about things like driving dynamics.

News alert: most of the market could care less about driving dynamics. If it did, Mazda would be bigger thanToyota, and the third gen CTS and the ATS would have been huge hits.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (07-15-2020),rand49er (07-12-2020),Scrambler (07-13-2020),Tethys (07-11-2020)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information