First Drive: 2021 Yukon Denali finally living up to luxury reputation

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Drive: 2021 Yukon Denali finally living up to luxury reputation

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,031 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

First Drive: 2021 Yukon Denali finally living up to luxury reputation

2021 GMC Yukon Denali First Drive | Finally living up to the Denali reputation
    A plush interior and excellent driving dynamics make the Denali's cost worth it
    JOEL STOCKSDALE
    Sep 21st 2020
    autoblog.com

For most of its existence, the GMC Yukon has been a virtually identical twin to the Chevy Tahoe. It would have some exterior differences, maybe a couple of different features, but aside from the badging, you’d be hard-pressed to distinguish the two. That also applied to the supposedly more luxurious Denali trim level. This new generation of Yukon mostly continues the trend, but now the Denali stands out more. It gets a unique interior designed to bridge the gap between the Yukon and Cadillac Escalade, and includes high-end features such as the Yukon's otherwise optional 6.2-liter V8 and magnetic suspension with air springs. All of this combined lets the 2021 GMC Yukon Denali live up to its luxurious reputation. It's easily the version to get if your bank account allows.

It really is the interior that makes the biggest difference. The entire dashboard and door panels are exclusive to not only the Yukon, but the Denali trim level specifically. The dash design is more squared-off and truck-like, but it’s offset by the use of some excellent materials. Large portions of the dash are wrapped in leather with stitching. There’s also a large panel of matte-finish open-pore wood, available in multiple colors, on the passenger side. Some metal trim and nicely textured knobs adorn the center stack. The doors get this wood and leather, too. The center console features some attractive, stylized stitching as an extra adornment.

The result is a place that feels high-quality and luxurious, but not in a garish or flashy way. Sort of a utilitarian luxury, which fits the look and character of the Yukon Denali.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image courtesy of, and credited to, autoblog.com
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-24-2020),BlackGTP (09-23-2020),eklauss (09-23-2020),smith7629 (09-24-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,031 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: First Drive: 2021 Yukon Denali finally living up to luxury reputation

Good read, and glad that GMC is getting recognition for their efforts.

One could certainly nitpick and quibble over some things ("It's a good interior, but not necessarily at this price!", "Why isn't this Denali interior standard on the Yukon, which would be befitting for the 'upscale' GMC brand, rather the regular Yukon sharing almost the same interior as the Tahoe?!"). But suffice to say this is a massive improvement that can only help GM enhance the reputation of the Denali subbrand.

Kudos to the interior folks! Let's hope this Yukon Denali sets an example that will allow the creative folks to win more battles against the internal bean-counters.
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    It is interesting that the Yukon kept the Tahoe’s interior except for the Denali trim

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 4,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Juche View Post
    It is interesting that the Yukon kept the Tahoe’s interior except for the Denali trim
    Chevrolet kept the GMC interior. Remember, GMC is the Truck brand, Chevrolet is the car brand

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

criticalmass (09-24-2020),eklauss (09-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,211 Times in 4,952 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Glowing review!

Crazy prices on these vehicles. It's amazing how many the segment (including the competition) sells considering the price.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (09-23-2020),mbukukanyau (09-23-2020),MercerGrad (09-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 525 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

It's amusing to me that Ford re-used the aging F-150 dashboard (which is now obsolete with the 2021 F-150) in the Expedition, while GM not only has a different dash than the pickups, but a different dash for a trim level.

Granted I would rather have the 2021 F-150 dashboard than any of the Chevy or GMC dashes, but it's not coming to the Expedition (and SuperDuty) until 2024.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,646 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    The answer is that Expedition is tied closely to F150 and it's refreshes but refreshes lag the F150
    by a couple for years. It's just a shame that both aren't synced more closely

Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 525 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I think you mean SuperDuty. Both Expedition and SuperDuty merged back with the F-150 in 2017, a few years after the 2015 F-150. They had been free-standing products separate from the F-150 (stupidly) up until they finally pulled it back together. It was still surprising to me when Expedition went back to sharing the truck dashboard, albeit with a much more upgraded interior. The arrangement would make more sense today with the new 2021 F-150 dash which regrettably can't be slipped into the Expedition without the major electronics work that came with Sync 4 on the F-150. Therefore Expedition and SuperDuty have to wait their turn in 2024. A very minor update is planned in 2022, not sure what it entails yet.

In any case, GM really came to upstage Expedition after years of just doing their thing and not caring that Expedition was better at everything but sales.
    Last edited by BORG; 09-23-2020 at 06:21 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '21 Yukon Den., '18 Camaro ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Glowing review!

Crazy prices on these vehicles. It's amazing how many the segment (including the competition) sells considering the price.
    Yeah, they're expensive ----- but price ANY other vehicle with similar equipment and see what IT costs. All the "features" seem to be priced about the same on a $25,000 car or a $69,000 one. But here you get room, heft (safety), V-8, quiet, and more fine trim like real wood, real aluminum trim and more.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoldBowtie For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (09-23-2020),criticalmass (09-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,211 Times in 4,952 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBowtie View Post
    Yeah, they're expensive ----- but price ANY other vehicle with similar equipment and see what IT costs. All the "features" seem to be priced about the same on a $25,000 car or a $69,000 one. But here you get room, heft (safety), V-8, quiet, and more fine trim like real wood, real aluminum trim and more.
    People snap them up, that's for sure!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,755 Times in 1,339 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Very nice looking! I hope the trucks get a nice interior like this next year. And I hope they get laminated side glass as well to take the noise down another notch.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 4,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Glowing review!

GM owns this segment and they are not playing games. These trucks are absolutely getting the correct reivews. I saw this AT4 Review which is amazing from these bwoys. They normally dislike GM

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

smith7629 (09-24-2020)

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 675 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Chevrolet kept the GMC interior. Remember, GMC is the Truck brand, Chevrolet was the car brand
    Fixed that for you.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-24-2020),criticalmass (09-24-2020),mbukukanyau (09-24-2020),mgescuro (09-29-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (09-24-2020),zeobandit (09-24-2020)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member smith7629's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Silverado Midnight Z71

I like the towing capabilities and accessories integrated into this vehicle. My 2019 has very small mirrors that are inadequate for towing.
    [/SIGPIC]

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member smith7629's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Silverado Midnight Z71

The AT4 is almost there. That interior scheme needs a different color combo option.
    [/SIGPIC]

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information