Escalade's triple curved OLED screens are gorgeous

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Escalade's triple curved OLED screens are gorgeous

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,970 Times in 972 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Escalade's triple curved OLED screens are gorgeous

A few weeks old, but still worth a read.

The 2021 Cadillac Escalade's triple curved OLED screens are gorgeous
    A new UI joins some clever tricks to avoid pixel burn-in
    AUTOBLOG STAFF
    Feb 6th 2020
    autoblog.com

The centerpiece and crown jewel of the 2021 Cadillac Escalade is the triple OLED screen setup facing the passengers. It’s an imposing cowl with 38 inches of screen real estate in total, and it’s a Cadillac Escalade-exclusive piece of technology. An interesting and unique feature like this has the potential to set Cadillac apart from the stiff competition in the luxury space.

Its appearance is just like that of the Cadillac Escala concept. We don’t often get to see interior concepts carried into production, so that’s exciting on its own. The layout consists of a 16.9-inch touchscreen infotainment system, a 14.2-inch instrument cluster and a 7.2-inch touchscreen to the left of the cluster. All of the screens are curved and use OLED technology, which is commonly used on the screen of your Android phone, iPhone or TV. It allows for the deepest blacks, best contrast ratios and extremely vivid colors. In short, an OLED screen is going to look better than an LCD screen, and that’s why Cadillac is using it. We sat down with a few folks who could tell us more about it.

We also discussed how Cadillac would deal with burn-in, which can be a problem with OLED screens that display the same graphics for extended periods of time. In a vehicle, that means over a long enough period of time something like the outline of a speedometer could faintly ghost itself into view even after switching to a different view, like Navigation.

According to Gupta, the OLED screens went through the same validation procedures that GM puts any other digital display through. The automaker built in "intelligent algorithms" and temperature monitoring functionality to help combat the potential for burn-in. Further, Gupta told us that a Display Optimization Calibration process may be presented to the driver from time to time, which can shift the layout of the screen by a few pixels to keep the same ones from displaying similar colors for too long. It will also be possible for Cadillac dealership employees to run through the calibration instead of owners.
    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Images credited to, and courtesy of, autoblog.com

"La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-19-2020),64supersport (02-20-2020),BlackGTP (02-19-2020),buildacariwant (02-19-2020),Cobaltss_King (02-19-2020),criticalmass (02-19-2020),DequindreToo (02-19-2020),Dheart (02-24-2020),dslay04 (02-19-2020),eklauss (02-20-2020),Juche (02-21-2020),jzchev28 (02-20-2020),mbukukanyau (02-19-2020),Robert1969 (02-19-2020),SP1966 (02-20-2020),TruckMan (02-19-2020),Vagon11 (02-19-2020),wallus13 (02-19-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,445 Posts

Re: Escalade's triple curved OLED screens are gorgeous

Wow. That is pretty damn cool, especially those various navigation and night vision options.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-19-2020),Dheart (02-24-2020),eklauss (02-20-2020),jzchev28 (02-20-2020)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 714 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

300% better than the "Add On iPad" idea of other's.

That looks like a Dash Panel again.

As a Kid, 12 or so. My Uncle, would purchase a New Car ever 3-5 months. Always a Ford My Pre Pro GM Era.(I was Open Minded at the time Dad drove AMC's then). One day he pulled up in a Red/White Maverick. Rolls down the Diver's Window, waves his hand side to side and said "I liked the Dash". I don't recall the car he traded, but I still recall the 1976 Maverick.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to InCogKneeToe For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-19-2020),jzchev28 (02-20-2020),ksr (02-19-2020),ksss (02-19-2020),mbukukanyau (02-19-2020),richmond2000 (02-19-2020),Vagon11 (02-19-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,635 Times in 2,618 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

“To be honest with you, it was a high-end leadership decision,” Kucera says. “There was a lot of, 'Hey maybe we don’t put that on the base level. And why do you have to use OLED?' Because OLED is not the cheap way to go. So the fact that it stayed that size and remained OLED … I would bet that you’re going to see other people doing something like this. There was a real push to try and get here first.”
    The fact there are people in GM that wanted this cluster to be only on higher trim levels is embarrassing.

Gupta also informed us that the system will feature over-the-air updates for both the vehicle's software and to keep its navigation maps up to date. GM will endeavor to keep the Escalade updated with quarterly downloads, but can also push out new software on an as-needed basis.
    This is solid news. I wonder if you'll have to be an OnStar subscriber to get the OTA or if they're included in the cost of the car.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (02-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 734 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

So cool - wish I had the bux to buy one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-19-2020)

ksr
    Thanks

Beware of what you ask for regarding OTA updates.

A June 2019 update was sent to CUE, and my ATS and a lot of other Cadillacs have never recovered. I've had my car for 13 months, for 8 of those months it hasn't been quite right. It was perfect when I bought it. If they ever get these problems resolved, which at this point I really don't expect to ever happen, I will not download another OTA update.

Nice how what they did to my car was no different than if someone damaged my car by running into it. But that person and their insurance would make amends. Cadillac does nothing. They sent a "fix" TSB in November. It had zero effect. And from the Cadillac Society forums, I know that I'm not alone. And the geniuses are unable to replicate the issues in their test bed. Makes you really question trusting your life to Super Cruise. Make my radio work first, then we'll discuss putting my life in your hands.
    Last edited by ksr; 02-19-2020 at 08:33 AM.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (02-19-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,301 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Beware of what you ask for regarding OTA updates.

A June 2019 update was sent to CUE, and my ATS and a lot of other Cadillacs have never recovered. I've had my car for 13 months, for 8 of those months it hasn't been quite right. It was perfect when I bought it. If they ever get these problems resolved, which at this point I really don't expect to ever happen, I will not download another OTA update.

Nice how what they did to my car was no different than if someone damaged my car by running into it. But that person and their insurance would make amends. Cadillac does nothing. They sent a "fix" TSB in November. It had zero effect. And from the Cadillac Society forums, I know that I'm not alone. And the geniuses are unable to replicate the issues in their test bed. Makes you really question trusting your life to Super Cruise. Make my radio work first, then we'll discuss putting my life in your hands.
    FCA did an OTA update to the 8' U connects and KILLED the sound equalization making it quiet and sounds like the speakers are inside a TIN a year later they have NOT fixed it properly and FCA customer support tells people to go to the dealer and the dealers swap out the radio unit under warranty and FCA pushes the update to the NEW unit breaking it

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Later this year.

Looks like Cadillac definitely won the race this time around. Or at least the dash.

I can't wait for the inevitable "Tesla/ Lincoln/ Mercedes/ Porsche/ Yugo did it better" comments.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

Dheart (02-24-2020),jzchev28 (02-20-2020),Vagon11 (02-19-2020),wallus13 (02-19-2020)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    FCA did an OTA update to the 8' U connects and KILLED the sound equalization making it quiet and sounds like the speakers are inside a TIN a year later they have NOT fixed it properly and FCA customer support tells people to go to the dealer and the dealers swap out the radio unit under warranty and FCA pushes the update to the NEW unit breaking it
    Sounds very similar. Cadillac refers you to dealers too, as though the dealers can fix software. I thought about having the radio swapped out. It might be the only way to fix this. Swap it, reject any updates. And I think new CUE units loaded with the latest software, rather than a prior version with updates, does work. Hate the idea of them ripping apart my dash.

My big mistake in hindsight was accepting the OTA update. It gives you a choice, and of course when you accept, it absolves Cadillac of any blame for ill effects. Stupid me, I figured they actually tested this stuff before sending it out to customers.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

eklauss (02-20-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

To be honest with you, it was a high-end leadership decision,” Kucera says. “There was a lot of, 'Hey maybe we don’t put that on the base level
    thinking like that is IMHO partly WHY GM is contracting and having a hard time in the markets it IS TRYING in
    unless they planned on using a CHEVY/ GMC dash to do a NON OLED dash would require MORE MONEY/TIME spent to develop

GM is the worst for spending MONEY to make a WORSE VERSION of their product
    look to the full size pickups and the lower trims having UNIQUE engines and transmissions - so extra cost to make a worse version

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

will say the Escalade interior LOOKS to be the class leader

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

High-end, feature-rich, user-customizable dash that looks modern and sophisticated. So glad that they put some thought into this and didn't go the Fisher-Price 'My First iPad' route.

This is class-leading! Great job!

I do like the augmented reality navigation option.
    Last edited by Mentat Bashar; 02-19-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentat Bashar For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (02-20-2020),ksr (02-19-2020),ksss (02-19-2020),richmond2000 (02-19-2020)

Thanks

This warning from Car and Driver:

Early OLEDs have shown a tendency for the colors to dim over time. Craig Zinser, director of Cadillac's infotainment division, says his team found ways to lengthen the life of its OLEDs; he estimates they'll last at least 15 years. Keep that in mind when you're looking to pick up an Escalade on the used market seven years from now.
    Last edited by Murrow; 02-19-2020 at 09:48 AM.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murrow For This Useful Post:

eklauss (02-20-2020),Mr.Buttons (02-19-2020),Neanderthal (02-19-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

“To be honest with you, it was a high-end leadership decision,” Kucera says. “There was a lot of, 'Hey maybe we don’t put that on the base level. And why do you have to use OLED?'
    Whoever that was shouldn't be involved in Cadillac going forward.

Because OLED is not the cheap way to go. So the fact that it stayed that size and remained OLED … I would bet that you’re going to see other people doing something like this.
    Good. Nice to hear that they won one.

"There was a real push to try and get here first.”
    Good to hear this. Be your own brand and forge your own trail.

"Sounds like the screen could have ultimately been a victim of cost-cutting measures. We’re glad it made it into production, because it looks promising.
    Shocking!
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,516 Times in 2,280 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

That looks so much nicer and more integrated than some of the competitions tacked on look stand up screens.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (02-19-2020),eklauss (02-20-2020),IROCNROL1 (02-20-2020),jzchev28 (02-20-2020),mbukukanyau (02-19-2020),richmond2000 (02-19-2020)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast