An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

  1. #1
    News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,328
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,079 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

    An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road
    Carscoops
    Brad Anderson
    July 22, 2019



    Speaking with Cadillac Society on the basis on anonymity, sources purportedly familiar with future product plans at Cadillac claim that GM’s luxury brand will offer the Escalade in all-electric guise after the fifth-generation model launches for the 2021 model year.

    Details about the powertrain set to be used by this electric Escalade remain uncertain but by the time the vehicle launches, there will likely be a number of large electric SUVs on the market. To ensure it is competitive with rivals such as the Tesla Model X, Cadillac will probably look to offer the vehicle with upwards of 400 miles (643 km) of range. Given the size of the Escalade, we would expect the vehicle to feature one electric motor driving the front axle and one electric motor powering the rear axle.
    *Full Article at Link

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

    Anthony Evans (07-22-2019),BlackGTP (07-22-2019),Cobaltss_King (07-22-2019),germeezy1 (07-24-2019),megeebee (07-24-2019)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  4. #2
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Anthony Evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked 75 Times in 47 Posts

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Do the bourgeois really care about the environment or is it just another holier than thou ego mobile?
    Last edited by Anthony Evans; 07-22-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    "Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." —Karl Marx

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Evans For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (07-23-2019),Neanderthal (07-22-2019)

  6. #3
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,670
    Thanks
    5,251
    Thanked 7,540 Times in 3,817 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Evans View Post
    Do the bourgeois rely care about the environment or is it just another holier than this ego mobile?
    Look at how many Tesla Model S's are sold. And I talked to a couple of the Tesla owners they were sold on the quiet, effortless, immediate power - no cares about the mpgs/environment.

  7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (07-23-2019),Anthony Evans (07-22-2019),emh (07-22-2019),germeezy1 (07-24-2019),megeebee (07-24-2019),Neanderthal (07-22-2019),TruckMan (07-23-2019),wallus13 (07-23-2019)

  8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  9. #4
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,670
    Thanks
    5,251
    Thanked 7,540 Times in 3,817 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    That's a whole lotta batteries.

  10. #5
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    29,174
    Thanks
    4,519
    Thanked 6,498 Times in 3,155 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    It better be quicker than anything else on the road. Zero to 100 should come before a now

  11. #6
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 BORG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,959
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 610 Times in 283 Posts

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    To get a 300+ Mile BEV out of a heavy Escalade you would need a significantly different architecture underneath to integrate the enormous battery sled and motors, it's not something you just swap out with the ICE architecture. Ford is developing a F-150 BEV which uses a unique architecture while the Hybrids arriving next year do not. Navigator is eventually getting a Hybrid which will add enormous power. I have to think GM is doing something to answer Ford's RWD Hybrid system.
    Last edited by BORG; 07-23-2019 at 12:04 AM.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

    EJD1984 (07-23-2019),germeezy1 (07-24-2019),richmond2000 (07-23-2019)

  13. #7
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,140
    Thanks
    2,641
    Thanked 565 Times in 282 Posts
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    To get a 300+ Mile BEV out of a heavy Escalade you would need a significantly different architecture underneath to integrate the enormous battery sled and motors, it's not something you just swap out with the ICE architecture.
    Navigator is eventually getting a Hybrid which will add enormous power.
    The BMW 5 Series EV prototype floating around is a 5 Series with an electric motor on its front axle and two on its rear. It's supposed to be good for at least 300 miles range, packing 720HP, 850 lb-ft T and 0-60 under 3 secs. Did they not just swap the gas engine out? It sure looks like they did. Fooled me if they didn't.

    I hope the Navigator uses the 3.5 ecoboost vs the 3.0 found in the smaller Aviator Hybrid (GT) so I can hear some crazy 800 torque number up from 600 in the Aviator.
    RedSkyBlackDream

  14. #8
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,593
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 683 Posts

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    The BMW 5 Series EV prototype floating around is a 5 Series with an electric motor on its front axle and two on its rear. It's supposed to be good for at least 300 miles range, packing 720HP, 850 lb-ft T and 0-60 under 3 secs. Did they not just swap the gas engine out? It sure looks like they did. Fooled me if they didn't.
    With BMW announcing both versions to run concurrently, it does sound like a relatively direct swap out.

    But it isn't swapping the gas engine out (for electric motors) that matters. Electric motors will be easier to package than the equivalent gas engine is. The hard part is swapping out the gas TANK for the battery, because an equivalent battery, while it can be spread around, placed wherever you have space, is going to require a great deal more overall space and weight than a gas tank does.

    And it seems to me that if they intend to make it a swap out, it would end up as a compromise solution; a rather inefficient design.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainDan For This Useful Post:

    richmond2000 (07-23-2019)

  16. #9
    News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,328
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,079 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    To get a 300+ Mile BEV out of a heavy Escalade you would need a significantly different architecture underneath to integrate the enormous battery sled and motors, it's not something you just swap out with the ICE architecture. Ford is developing a F-150 BEV which uses a unique architecture while the Hybrids arriving next year do not. Navigator is eventually getting a Hybrid which will add enormous power. I have to think GM is doing something to answer Ford's RWD Hybrid system.
    The Hyundai Kona EV, which is unibody, and the battery it just bolted to the flat bottom, I suspect that the EV Escalade will need a whole new frame to accommodate the (structural?) battery pack, and a whole new rear suspension/drive-train to accommodate the rear motor.

  17. #10
    News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,328
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,079 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
    With BMW announcing both versions to run concurrently, it does sound like a relatively direct swap out.

    But it isn't swapping the gas engine out (for electric motors) that matters. Electric motors will be easier to package than the equivalent gas engine is. The hard part is swapping out the gas TANK for the battery, because an equivalent battery, while it can be spread around, placed wherever you have space, is going to require a great deal more overall space and weight than a gas tank does.

    And it seems to me that if they intend to make it a swap out, it would end up as a compromise solution; a rather inefficient design.
    I suspect that the 5-Series EV will not only loose a good deal of trunk space for the battery.

  18. #11
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,593
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 683 Posts

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    I suspect that the 5-Series EV will not only loose a good deal of trunk space for the battery.
    A heavy battery added into the back of a car isn't going to be great for handling. I wouldn't think to see BMW doing that.

    Loose or not.
    Last edited by CaptainDan; 07-23-2019 at 08:15 AM.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

  19. #12
    News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,328
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,079 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
    A heavy battery added into the back of a car isn't going to be great for handling. I wouldn't think to see BMW doing that.
    Backtrack Time - It appears that BMW is placing the battery under the car. similar to what Hyundai has done.

  20. #13
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,593
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 683 Posts

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    Backtrack Time - It appears that BMW is placing the battery under the car. similar to what Hyundai has done.
    Similar to what EVERYONE has done.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainDan For This Useful Post:

    canadian.bacon (07-23-2019),richmond2000 (07-23-2019)

  22. #14
    News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,328
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,079 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
    Similar to what EVERYONE has done.
    And they're loosing ground clearance by retrofitting to a vehicle that was design for a conventional ICE power-train unless they raise the suspension by 3-4in, instead of using a dedicated/designed platform.

    The advantage the Escalade will have is that the platform is body-on-frame, not a unibody. This will give Cadillac the flexibility to use a different/modified frame to seamlessly accommodate the battery-pack. Instead of an "catch-up after thought" of just hanging a battery off of the bottom.

    GM may have also pre-planned for this, and the frame T1XX has designed in points for a battery between the existing rails.

    With the massive engine bay in the Escalade, will Cadillac add in a frunk?

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

    RedSkyBlackDream (07-24-2019)

  24. #15
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 yamahr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,032
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 818 Times in 297 Posts

    Re: An Electric Cadillac Escalade Is In The Works But Still Years Away From The Road

    Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    And they're loosing ground clearance by retrofitting to a vehicle that was design for a conventional ICE power-train unless they raise the suspension by 3-4in, instead of using a dedicated/designed platform.

    The advantage the Escalade will have is that the platform is body-on-frame, not a unibody. This will give Cadillac the flexibility to use a different/modified frame to seamlessly accommodate the battery-pack. Instead of an "catch-up after thought" of just hanging a battery off of the bottom.

    GM may have also pre-planned for this, and the frame T1XX has designed in points for a battery between the existing rails.

    With the massive engine bay in the Escalade, will Cadillac add in a frunk?
    The big electric motor has to go somewhere, so I wouldn't expect a frunk.

    It sounds like GM was smart and designed the new truck platform to be packaged both as an ICE and an EV. In these fast-changing and not-so-predictable times, it's best to cover many time frames for possible EV transition and be ready to respond quickly.

    My concern for GM is that they seem to be not pursuing plug-in hybrid versions, unlike many other competitors. Maybe they're calling the market right, maybe not. What we don't want to see is a repeat of 2008, when most of GM's very profitable models became virtually unsellable, and we all know what happened right after that.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to yamahr1 For This Useful Post:

    RedSkyBlackDream (07-24-2019)

  26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2