Does Cadillac Need A Convertible?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Cadillac Need A Convertible?

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,078 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Does Cadillac Need A Convertible?

The following is a letter to the editor at Automotive News
    December 23, 2019

True luxury means a convertible

Lincoln and Cadillac will be overlooked by shoppers looking for luxury, which really means they want convertibles, writes an Automotive News reader in a letter to the editor.

TO THE EDITOR:

In "Lincoln aims to 'paint a new picture' for shoppers" ("Weekend Drive," autonews.com, Nov. 29), marketing director Michael Sprague says the brand is focused on building beautiful products "that glide along the roads." I just checked a print ad for a new, really stunning Lincoln. One paragraph ends with "a ride as smooth as a glider in flight."

The ad ran 78 years ago. It was for a 1941 Lincoln Continental, a truly distinctive and much-desired luxury coupe — or convertible — as owned by legendary Hollywood stars like Rita Hayworth.

The "Weekend Drive" intro features a convertible — it makes my case! The price of admission in the true luxury segment is a mandatory convertible, but the more the better. Mercedes and BMW have about a dozen between them. And Lexus just woke up with the LC 500. Lincoln is just a line of nice trucks.

Lincoln and Cadillac will languish forever with their generic truck styles, overlooked by true luxury-brand shoppers, whose dealers outsold Lincoln's and Cadillac's car lines by an estimated 14-1 and 28-1, respectively, in October.

BOB MARCKS, Scottsdale, Ariz., The writer is a former Ford and Lincoln stylist and retired Chrysler designer and product planning and marketing manager.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-23-2019),CJH (12-23-2019),ClassyEldo (12-26-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,078 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: Does Cadillac Need A Convertible?

There is currently a $10,000 incentive on the fairly new Lexus RC/LC coupe with a convertible on the way. Will it sell? Should it sell? Do they care? It may simply be all about image, and image is something Cadillac could use - but should that image be car or SUV based?

Going to be a big year for the all-new Escalade...so where exactly would a convertible fit?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

supraracer (01-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,182 Times in 4,078 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    There is currently a $10,000 incentive on the fairly new Lexus RC/LC coupe with a convertible on the way. Will it sell? Should it sell? Do they care? It may simply be all about image, and image is something Cadillac could use - but should that image be car or SUV based?

Going to be a big year for the all-new Escalade...so where exactly would a convertible fit?
    One thing I can say is look at the Nissan Murano Convertible, what an ugly, eyesore of a vehicle that no one bought, most likely because it was an ugly, eyesore of a vehicle. My guess is that was a loud and clear message that most people don't want an ugly vehicle. The CUV body style doesn't lend itself to being a convertible - they'd all end up ugly.

And to your point, it makes me laugh to mentally picture an Escalade convertible!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-23-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,154 Posts

Cadillac needs a lot of things Cadillac is never going to get, because GM. Abandon hope, all ye whom enter a Cadillac dealership..

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-23-2019),buildacariwant (12-28-2019),CJH (12-23-2019),Mr.Buttons (12-23-2019),Neanderthal (12-23-2019),Parlay84 (12-24-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (12-24-2019),tgagneguam (12-23-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    Cadillac needs a lot of things Cadillac is never going to get, because GM. Abandon hope, all ye whom enter a Cadillac dealership..
    Sadly I think this is right.

You still hear occasional talk of a "halo car" for Cadillac, despite the fact that there's very little evidence that halo cars really do anything for a brand. Usually this discussion revolves around some sort of ultra luxury super car. I'd forget that. Not worth the investment. While a convertible alone isn't going to suddenly revive Cadillac's car sales and maybe isn't really a "halo car," I think it's the sort of attention-getter that Cadillac could use. Convertibles still turn heads and a convertible CT4 or CT5 would attract some much-needed attention.

True halo cars aren't within the financial reach of most people. For me, and I'm sure I'm not alone, they don't even draw that much attention. I like cars, I read about cars. But I rarely pay any attention to cars that I can't possibly afford. I doubt that I'll ever be in the position to buy a Mercedes SL. Beautiful car, might look at one in Motor Trend or stare at one at an auto show. But I devote little time to it because it's just not going to happen in the forseeable future. Liking the SL doesn't somehow convince me that I'll be sorta like an SL buyer if I settle for some low-level Mercedes that really isn't in the same ballpark.

You should offer some aspirational car that, while still expensive, isn't out of the question. One that people see, perhaps dismiss at first because its expensive, but keeps them thinking about it because they actually can afford it. That's what a CT5 convertible could be. The CT5 is a nice car, but it's not going to be a "gotta have" model. A convertible could be. And with as long as it's been since Cadillac offered a convertible, there may be a pent up market.

If you want to continue trying to complete with BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, you have to offer competing products. They have convertibles, so Cadillac should have one too.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (12-28-2019),Rumpole (12-23-2019),tripowergto Jan2003 (12-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Sadly I think this is right.

You still hear occasional talk of a "halo car" for Cadillac, despite the fact that there's very little evidence that halo cars really do anything for a brand. Usually this discussion revolves around some sort of ultra luxury super car. I'd forget that. Not worth the investment. While a convertible alone isn't going to suddenly revive Cadillac's car sales and maybe isn't really a "halo car," I think it's the sort of attention-getter that Cadillac could use. Convertibles still turn heads and a convertible CT4 or CT5 would attract some much-needed attention.

True halo cars aren't within the financial reach of most people. For me, and I'm sure I'm not alone, they don't even draw that much attention. I like cars, I read about cars. But I rarely pay any attention to cars that I can't possibly afford. I doubt that I'll ever be in the position to buy a Mercedes SL. Beautiful car, might look at one in Motor Trend or stare at one at an auto show. But I devote little time to it because it's just not going to happen in the forseeable future. Liking the SL doesn't somehow convince me that I'll be sorta like an SL buyer if I settle for some low-level Mercedes that really isn't in the same ballpark.

You should offer some aspirational car that, while still expensive, isn't out of the question. One that people see, perhaps dismiss at first because its expensive, but keeps them thinking about it because they actually can afford it. That's what a CT5 convertible could be. The CT5 is a nice car, but it's not going to be a "gotta have" model. A convertible could be. And with as long as it's been since Cadillac offered a convertible, there may be a pent up market.

If you want to continue trying to complete with BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, you have to offer competing products. They have convertibles, so Cadillac should have one too.
    As much as my loins quiver for a Cadillac version of the C8, a large coupe on Omega or even Alpha stretched to the max and powered by the Blackwing V8 would have worked just as well and probably would have brought way more sales to the brand, we all saw the patent drawings....they were pretty epic, but oh well..

Last edited by JimmyDiablo; 12-23-2019 at 08:46 AM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

bmwboy2007 (12-27-2019),ClassyEldo (12-26-2019),mbukukanyau (12-28-2019),Mr.Buttons (12-23-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (12-24-2019),sdotjeezy (12-23-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

That looks very Camaro/Mustang-ish...
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Z Fury For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (12-26-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

This is a tiny market, Crossovers are the big thing now unless Cadillac wants to do a drop top crossover ala Murano Crosscabriolet
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 471 Posts

Given there is already an excellent Alpha convertible Camaro(I own one), it wouldn't cost that much in product development to produce a CT5 convertible, along with a CT5 coupe given the costs of creating a 2 door will already be covered by the convertible. DO IT Caddy!!
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tripowergto Jan2003 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-23-2019),buildacariwant (12-28-2019),ClassyEldo (12-26-2019),dannyg (12-23-2019),JimmyDiablo (12-23-2019),Robert1969 (12-23-2019),Rumpole (12-23-2019),smith7629 (12-24-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tripowergto Jan2003 View Post
    Given there is already an excellent Alpha convertible Camaro(I own one), it wouldn't cost that much in product development to produce a CT5 convertible, along with a CT5 coupe given the costs of creating a 2 door will already be covered by the convertible. DO IT Caddy!!
    I would have bought an ATS convertible in a heartbeat. When ATS launched, there was talk of sedan/coupe/convertible family. Maybe it was just talk. I don't think I ever even saw a drawing of a convertible.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (12-26-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    As much as my loins quiver for a Cadillac version of the C8, a large coupe on Omega or even Alpha stretched to the max and powered by the Blackwing V8 would have worked just as well and probably would have brought way more sales to the brand, we all saw the patent drawings....they were pretty epic, but oh well..

That was a great drawing. Vetoed by the same good folks who didn't think the Avista was worth building.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-23-2019),mbukukanyau (12-28-2019),rockyspaw (12-23-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTSV

if I use my neighborhood in Florida as a focus group of folks 60s - 80s with enough money to buy cars every other year and are concerned about image I believe it is necessary for Cadillac to play in the prestige league. Off the top of my head out of 45 homes there are 5 Mercedes Convertibles, a Jaguar convertible, 2 BMW convertibles and a C6 and C7 Corvette as well as a Bentley convertible. The convertibles are not replaced as frequently but are deemed important for image.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rumpole For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (12-28-2019),ClassyEldo (12-26-2019),Neanderthal (12-23-2019),sledgehammer777 (12-23-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
    This is a tiny market, Crossovers are the big thing now unless Cadillac wants to do a drop top crossover ala Murano Crosscabriolet
    This is a luxury brand, you need PRESENCE. Of course it is a niche market. However, convertibles still sell: Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes. Bmw's, Mercedes'.
    2 trims max, put all the latest and greatest tech stuff on the whole lineup, all bells and whistles, only difference being the engine. Don't pull any stupid crap for a few dollars more.
    Cadillac needs to re-build its image and that's not gonna come from CUVs.
    But this is GM, they are closing plants and markets all over the world, they are not going to invest into this kind of a product. Long live the CUV, I guess.

So much potential with Cadillac.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

ksr (12-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 872 Posts

To answer the OP....Yes, they need a convertible, but they also need a Midsize coupe, a RWD CUV, a Flagship Sedan, a Halo Sports Car, a Halo SUV over the 'Slade, and a Entry Coupe....but we'll get another FWD CUV instead while we wait for their EV plans to come to fruition.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

29. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (12-24-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member yello430's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '20 Cadillac CT6

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 2.00.46 PM.jpgWe tried so hard to get a CTS Convertible. Couldn't make it happen.
    Hidden Content

twitter: forzablitz

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yello430 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (12-23-2019),buildacariwant (12-28-2019),canadian.bacon (12-23-2019),ksr (12-23-2019),rockyspaw (12-23-2019),wallus13 (12-23-2019)

32. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast