Confirmed: Cadillac ELR Coupe Bowing in 2014, Using Volt's Powertrain

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confirmed: Cadillac ELR Coupe Bowing in 2014, Using Volt's Powertrain

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Confirmed: Cadillac ELR Coupe Bowing in 2014, Using Volt's Powertrain

Cadillac's electrified coupe will share Volt's powertrain, arrive in 2014 as a 2014 model.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    April 30, 2012
    By: Nick Saporito

Last week GM’s OnStar telematics division accidentally leaked the 2014 GM vehicle roster on their website. Obviously the 2014 roster was a bit early as most of GM’s 2013 models are not even on the streets yet, but nonetheless the OnStar screw-up managed to ignite new speculation about a couple new products. One such product is the Cadillac ELR, the luxury brand’s upcoming extended range electric car.

In August 2011 Cadillac officially announced plans to produce the Converj Concept car, a small coupe wearing a sexy design theme and the Chevrolet Volt’s extended range electric drive system, Voltec. The announcement was reluctant on the part of GM, who was forced into making the ELR official after Green Car Reports obtained leaked information about the car’s production plans. Despite the official announcement, few details on the production version have surfaced. Specifically, the timing of the ELR has been kept under tight wraps, until now.

GMI has been able to confirm with product development sources that OnStar’s flub is correct. The ELR will launch as a 2014 model year vehicle, but production will not begin until very late 2013 calendar year, meaning this will be a late arrival for the 2014 model year.

Additionally, GMI has been able to confirm that the ELR will utilize the exact same Voltec powertrain as the Chevrolet Volt. The Volt is expected to receive several enhancements for the 2014 model year, with those enhancements being carried over to the ELR as well. GMI has not been able to verify the enhancements, however it has been speculated that both Volt and ELR will see larger EV ranges than today’s 30-40 miles.

At the time of publication ELR is expected in coupe form only. Months ago rumors and speculation surfaced about the possibility of other variants, but GMI has confirmed that only the coupe will be produced.

For 2014 model year the ELR will only be sold on the North American market, but expect the ELR to be exported to Europe and China alongside the Volt the following year.
    Last edited by nsap; 05-02-2012 at 12:16 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Confirmed: Cadillac ELR Coupe Bowing in 2014, Using Volt's Powertrain

Cool, though I wish it was RWD/R-AWD.

!!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 784 Posts

If it looked like that it would sell.
    We all know it won't.
    Cadillac keeps showing concepts with these more elegant grills and they never show up on the production cars. Still the same gaudy inelegant grill treatments

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

I'd love to know how close the Converj concept is to the production car.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeSabre View Post

!!!
    Why would it matter?

A FWD platform allows a car, especially one as small as a Volt/ELR, to have a larger interior over a RWD.
    Last edited by megeebee; 04-30-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Why would it matter?

A FWD platform allows a car, especially one as small as a Volt/ELR, to have a larger interior over a RWD.
    I agree. For the weight/power this car will have (not to mention how it is likely to be driven), there would seem to be no benefit to RWD.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

FWD is no issue at all for this vehicle. In the future it would be nice to see a RWD (or at least AWD) variant, but for now, why add the weight and design issues until they get to Gen II or Gen III. It's a showcase of technological power - as long as it handles a little better than the current Volt, and has a little higher NVH - it will be a great proposition.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M

I'm a little surprised that the powertrain will be the same as the Volt. I would have thought the Cadillac version would want to differentiate itself a bit more. This doesn't affect me, as I don't have the resources to buy one, but I do find that a bit puzzling.
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8/ 2015 Chevrolet SS (seriously)

Current Rides: 2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M & 2015 Chrysler Town & County (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX, 1998 Honda Civic DX, 2001 Ford ZX2, 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4 & 2009 Saturn Vue XR

Thanks

I want one!
    2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeSabre View Post

!!!
    Why? The FWD allows it to have a larger interior and I'm sure the consumer that buys it won't be to concerned over performance. Besides, given what GM has done with recent FWDrivers such as the Regal GS with the Hi-Per Strut system, FWD drive cars have come a long way in the performance area.

It probably won't be the sportiest, BUT considering the type of vehicle it is, a luxuriusly styled (inside & out) extended range ( using ELECTRIC as its primary source of propulsion), coupe from a luxury brand with brand equity and more credibility than other electric vehicle company's that will be offering the same product.

This will be a revolutionary move. The ELR should have debuted before the Volt. I think it would have arrived with better fanfare.

I think the ELR, will be Cadillacs phantom punch if the styling is unchanged.
    Last edited by Pellz; 04-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Why would it matter?

It's going to be slower than balls, anyway. You must REALLY be compensating for something if your 8 second 0-60 electric car needs to be RWD. You clearly aren't getting performance, and that's not what it's about. So why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Al63240 View Post
    I'm a little surprised that the powertrain will be the same as the Volt. I would have thought the Cadillac version would want to differentiate itself a bit more. This doesn't affect me, as I don't have the resources to buy one, but I do find that a bit puzzling.
    I'm surprised, too. I hope it improves its 0-60 time at least by a second. Around the 6 second mark is ideal for this. Also, it should have an overboost function if at all possible.

But that's all in a perfect world. In this world, I'm very eager to see it on lots.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    We all know it won't.
    Cadillac keeps showing concepts with these more elegant grills and they never show up on the production cars. Still the same gaudy inelegant grill treatments
    Here's hoping that they can keep the grille on the concept since the Volt doesnt require a grill either then there would be no need to change whats on the concept, unless it doesnt meet some saftey criteria.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    We all know it won't.
    Elegant grille?

What car are YOU looking at?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Motors Man's Avatar
    Thanks

Someone should do a photoshop of the concept Volt as the Caddy Converj

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Motors Man's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al63240 View Post
    More complexity and cost for two cars that ain't/wont sell/selling. I'm not surprised in the least,this is GM we're talking about.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information