Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again - Page 9

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Re: Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    It's not old, it was just refreshed in 2018.
    Bumper facias and a deck lid don't it new.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    I disgaree.

The XTS is old and needs either replacement or euthanasia. The car is, the last time I saw stats, 60%+ fleet in sales. The last thing Cadillac needs is a Town Car sitiation.
    It's not old, it was just refreshed in 2018.

Exactly. Cadillac is going to build black cars, so now they get to fleet out the CT6.
    The XTS could've filled the role that the Captiva filled for Chevy.
    One big difference... the XTS sells 40% retail. That 40% must be hugely profitable.
    Problem with the XTS was that it suffered from the same chassis shortcomings of the gen. 7 Malibu of being fine in length but a bit too narrow. The solution was to give it the other chassis then it got wide enough but too short in the rear seat. The refresh of the XTS was fine IMO but the other part still needed all new to rectify.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Although it looks similar, it also got a significant CUE update and other interior changes.
    Unacceptable for the wife, because it lost the CD player in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Problem with the XTS was that it suffered from the same chassis shortcomings of the gen. 7 Malibu of being fine in length but a bit too narrow.
    That's not a problem.
    The narrow width plus power folding mirrors are the reason it fits in my garage better than my much smaller Cruze.
    Many other cars were eliminated from consideration because they just didn't fit.
    Last edited by eaton53; 05-27-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    I meant to ask, what is the car in your avatar?
    It's a 1930 or 31 Cadillac V-16 (Series 452).

the XTS sells 40% retail. That 40% must be hugely profitable.
    Not if it's made in a factory all by itself.

We don't know the numbers, but I suspect management decided to kill 3 plants at one time to reduce the duration of bad news. It's surprising they haven't moved HQ to sunnier climes.
    Last edited by ral1960; 05-27-2019 at 08:12 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ral1960 For This Useful Post:

megeebee (05-27-2019),Z284ever (05-27-2019)

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Like I said, I disagree w/ the "tweener" label...even if applied by GM. Fact of the matter is that the CT5 is a midsize offering regardless of how GM tries to spin it. Dim for Dim interior its +/- 1-2in within the E class and exterior wise, it has a .3" longer WB and an overall length .2in shorter while being 1" wider. So yes, this is a midsize sedan. So why are they calling it compact? My guess...perception. GM is trying to avoid the "value" stigma w/ the CT5 since it is 5 series sized but 3 series priced.
    It really doesn't matter about the size/interior volume of a vehicle; what matters more is what segment an automaker intends a particular model to compete, as the competitive set within a segment can vary widely in size/interior volume from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The Infiniti Q50 is 188.3" in length.

The Lexus IS is 183.7", about 4.6" inches shorter.

And yet, they both compete in the compact segment.

Infiniti also offer the LWB version of the Q70 here at 202".

The Q70L is still a mid-segment offering and not one that goes against the LS 500, much less something like the S Class.

The Highlander is Toyota's 3-row CUV at 194.9" for the upcoming model (3.8" larger than the current Highlander).

That's still outclassed by the VW Atlas at 198.3", much less something like the Traverse at 204.3".
    Last edited by YEH; 05-27-2019 at 09:42 PM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YEH View Post
    It really doesn't matter about the size/interior volume of a vehicle; what matters more is what segment an automaker intends a particular model to compete, as the competitive set within a segment can vary widely in size/interior volume from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The Infiniti Q50 is 188.3" in length.

The Lexus IS is 183.7", about 4.6" inches shorter.

And yet, they both compete in the compact segment.

Infiniti also offer the LWB version of the Q70 here at 202".

The Q70L is still a mid-segment offering and not one that goes against the LS 500, much less something like the S Class.

The Highlander is Toyota's 3-row CUV at 194.9" for the upcoming model (3.8" larger than the current Highlander).

That's still outclassed by the VW Atlas at 198.3", much less something like the Traverse at 204.3".
    So...using that logic, Chevrolet can label the Impala a compact and a competitor to the Corolla if they wanted to. I get it...Cadillac is playing the offering more for less a.k.a. value card. I'm just not going to swallow the compact tweener crap when the CT5 is virtually the same size as everyone else's midsize.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

^ That's not using any logic.

Only way that would work is if Chevy shrank the Impala a good bit (while there are variances in size within segments, there are still limits - let's not get ridiculous now).

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 669 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

No one perceives the Impala to be a smaller car, and that's what counts regardless of wheelbase or width.

CT5 doesn't look particularly large to me, maybe because of the shape of the DLO or the perceived height. Cadillac will get away with its tweener strategy just fine.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 681 Posts

LcCrosse is wider, shorter and not nearly as well equipped.
    I thought the loaded ones I drove were very fine cars... as long as you don't check the Dynamic Ride option.
    LaX + 20" wheels = poor ride quality. Impala as well.

XTS has far more sophisicated suspension and can handle the 20's.
    Yeah,some of it's dimensions might be a little screwy,but it's still a bizzaro world XTS/Impala is it not?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    Yeah,some of it's dimensions might be a little screwy,but it's still a bizzaro world XTS/Impala is it not?
    Impala didn't fit in my garage. Plus it rode BAD on 20's.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 542 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Proof that the XTS is still profitable? It's platform mates weren't, thus headed to the executioner. What % of XTS sales since the CT6 bowed were fleet? Almost every XTS I see now, and every one with the front end refresh, are hired cars. It hasn't broke 20K in sales since '16 and looks like even 15k will be a stretch this year. With it's platform mates dead, you're not going to profitably produce a 15k annual unit run at any plant, particularly when probably close to half its sales is fleet cars.

I've never, ever seen a Vsport in person, I think they are more rare than even the older STS-V's were.
    I didn't say all fleet sales are not profitable.

I said fleet sales of a now standalone platform luxury car that moves but 15k units in a year is not profitable at this point in time.

You hit it - most people particularly in metro areas do not know if an XTS is a hired car or personally owned. How many potential owners do you think are turned off by that?

The XTS was/is profitable.. especially with the Impala and LaX in the mix.. I won't even go into the fact that it didn't even have to rely strictly on that basis as the Platform itself was/is profitable. Also U are thinking of strictly US sales.. and not that of China.. where the XTS sold damn near triple what they sold in the U.S.
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2017 Cadillac Escalade Premium Lux, 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 680 Posts

I wish Cadillac would bring back true hardtops as was demonstrated with Escala. Coupe and sedan hardtops and two door convertibles. I always felt that the hardtops and convertibles best expressed the true spirit of Cadillac. Interiors should be refined, sumptuous and a bit showy. These cars should be powered by a large NA V-8, (if not V-12 or V-16). They should have buckets of style and commanding presence. Some sort of James Bond type tech trick would be a bonus, if they could do it properly. (Of course they would probably do something really stupid, based on past performance.)

Escala itself can be the starting point. Cadillac must aim higher. Do not insult the intelligence of people that understand luxury goods. If you expect to charge for it, you have to bring it. I wish them well, but I'm not encouraged. It appears the bean counters are firmly in charge. There hasn't been a product guy in upper management since the departure of Bob Lutz.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    The XTS was/is profitable.. especially with the Impala and LaX in the mix.. I won't even go into the fact that it didn't even have to rely strictly on that basis as the Platform itself was/is profitable. Also U are thinking of strictly US sales.. and not that of China.. where the XTS sold damn near triple what they sold in the U.S.
    China was in the back of my mind, but I wasn't going to propose keeping the XTS alive by importing it from China...that tends not to be a well received idea.

Economics of a US-built XTS for the US market simply aren't there now that the LaX and Impy are gone and sales are low. And the car doesn't help Cadillac's image as a credible luxury competitor, though if Carlisle's executive word salad of "let Cadillac be Cadillac" just means value priced luxury like it was 20+ years ago then I suppose there's a case for this poorly proportioned DTS replacement.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (05-29-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,257 Posts

China was in the back of my mind, but I wasn't going to propose keeping the XTS alive by importing it from China...that tends not to be a well received idea.

Economics of a US-built XTS for the US market simply aren't there now that the LaX and Impy are gone and sales are low. And the car doesn't help Cadillac's image as a credible luxury competitor, though if Carlisle's executive word salad of "let Cadillac be Cadillac" just means value priced luxury like it was 20+ years ago then I suppose there's a case for this poorly proportioned DTS replacement.
    I thought I was the only one who found the proportions of the XTS incredibly odd. Both the Hood and trunk are incredibly stubby. The Lacrosse and Impala arent stricken w/ these proportions...if they are, it isn't as obvious.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 681 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I thought I was the only one who found the proportions of the XTS incredibly odd. Both the Hood and trunk are incredibly stubby. The Lacrosse and Impala arent stricken w/ these proportions...if they are, it isn't as obvious.
    Nah,you guys are not the only ones who think the XTS has odd proportions.

I once saw a Beluga whale beach itself on the turnpike trying to mate with an XTS...It got hit by a tanker truck before it could reach the XTS.
    Last edited by Mr.Buttons; 05-29-2019 at 01:31 PM.

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information