Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again - Page 7

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,403 Times in 3,116 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Re: Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Meanwhile on the not yet for sale Cadillac CT5, you won't get a digital gauge cluster...at least not initially. Hmmm
    I am not a fan of slabs of ipads

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-26-2019),KingElv!s (05-25-2019),Scrambler (05-25-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC KingElv!s's Avatar
    Thanks

Cadillac should pursue a strategy of offering lowest parts and repair costs. This is where Bimmer and Merc kill you. Then charging the same or a little more is like charging less over the life of the vehicle.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,072 Times in 3,649 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by KingElv!s View Post
    Cadillac should pursue a strategy of offering lowest parts and repair costs. This is where Bimmer and Merc kill you. Then charging the same or a little more is like charging less over the life of the vehicle.
    Ha! My buddy with a BMW X5 dropped his jaw on the ground when he found out an oil change in my ATS (with synthetic oil) costs only $50. He was paying north of $200.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    But Carlisle got rid of the XTS, so he's talking jibberish with this "Let Cadillac be Cadillac stuff".
    If he really wanted to let Cadillac be Cadillac, the XTS would continue.
    The XTSs demise was decided by Johann DeNysschen. Besides, it's just now ending its 7th year on the market. Its hardly worth the many millions it would take to move production for a product that old and with a declining customer base.
    "The Four Most Over-Rated Things In Life Are Champagne, Lobster, An*l Sex, And Picnics."

-Christopher Hitchens

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 637 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    No car burdened with the Northstar could ever be called dependable (coming from a former owner). It was improved from '04 on in the final DTS, but it won't ever shake the historical connection.
    True, but statistically it was among the most dependable cars in its class. Too bad it took GM over a decade to get it right.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 637 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    +1
    That was a cool design; I wish it was still offered. Do you know why GM got rid of it? Was the motor and related hardware reasonably reliable with years of use?

My Volvo S60 had a pop-up nav screen. Fantastic feature for keeping distractions hidden. And Saabs had a Night Panel mode that dimmed everything but the most essential gauges unless there was a warning condition.

I really, really miss when cars hid the features you didn't constantly need. My Q45 had a motorized door that covered EQ knobs with the push of a button and the Audi A8 had a display that rolled into the dash, concealing itself into the wood trim.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

dannyg (05-26-2019),The Handler (05-26-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,138 Times in 1,322 Posts

The only way Cadillac will be Cadillac again is if it goes back to using NA V8s in it's vehicles and the only one that does is the Escalade and we all know GM has no intention of using the 6.2L in any other Cadillac, so Cadillac will slowly drift into oblivion and I won't miss the brand for one second.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

jesda1 (05-26-2019),The Handler (05-26-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Not even gonna quote it so maybe it gives U an opportunity to rethink it.. But what U are saying is CADILLAC, in the modern age should start off as an entry.. With a 204 inch sedan costing $60k? That works if it were alone on the Luxury market.. But unfortunately it's competition has sedans that are on par with an upgraded Chevy Sonic.. So no

I rethought it and still believe Cadillac needs to go big or go home. Big, comfortable cruisers with the highest possible luxury.

And they’ve got to move on from affordable cars.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,072 Times in 3,649 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by jesda1 View Post
    My Volvo S60 had a pop-up nav screen. Fantastic feature for keeping distractions hidden. And Saabs had a Night Panel mode that dimmed everything but the most essential gauges unless there was a warning condition.

I really, really miss when cars hid the features you didn't constantly need. My Q45 had a motorized door that covered EQ knobs with the push of a button and the Audi A8 had a display that rolled into the dash, concealing itself into the wood trim.
    I thought the pop up screen was really cool too. Though I think the change to a fixed screen that is always visible reflects the changes in how the screens are used, when they were pop-ups they were mostly just GPS. Now they have HVAC, radio, etc.. Now we use them to much to hide 'em away when not in use. I do like how my CUE fades to only a few functions when not in use, then when I bring my hand close to the screen all the functions pop up.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,959 Times in 1,627 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    The XTSs demise was decided by Johann DeNysschen. Besides, it's just now ending its 7th year on the market. Its hardly worth the many millions it would take to move production for a product that old and with a declining customer base.
    Proof of his incompetance.
    Here's a profitable car that actually sells and we just refreshed in 2018, so lets get rid of it.
    Glad that goof is gone!
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (05-28-2019)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Proof of his incompetance.
    Here's a profitable car that actually sells and we just refreshed in 2018, so lets get rid of it.
    Glad that goof is gone!
    Proof that the XTS is still profitable? It's platform mates weren't, thus headed to the executioner. What % of XTS sales since the CT6 bowed were fleet? Almost every XTS I see now, and every one with the front end refresh, are hired cars. It hasn't broke 20K in sales since '16 and looks like even 15k will be a stretch this year. With it's platform mates dead, you're not going to profitably produce a 15k annual unit run at any plant, particularly when probably close to half its sales is fleet cars.

I've never, ever seen a Vsport in person, I think they are more rare than even the older STS-V's were.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Proof that the XTS is still profitable? It's platform mates weren't, thus headed to the executioner. What % of XTS sales since the CT6 bowed were fleet? Almost every XTS I see now, and every one with the front end refresh, are hired cars. It hasn't broke 20K in sales since '16 and looks like even 15k will be a stretch this year. With it's platform mates dead, you're not going to profitably produce a 15k annual unit run at any plant, particularly when probably close to half its sales is fleet cars.

I've never, ever seen a Vsport in person, I think they are more rare than even the older STS-V's were.
    Why do you think that Fleet sales are not profitable??

In many cases you can make more money on fleet sales than retail since you tend to get larger sales at one time without having to "stock" the vehicles after production, in fact Fleet sales (if properly done) can be far more profitable than retail sales that require more build variations and nearly all (except customer special orders) require logistical distribution costs. Of course in the luxury segment fleet sales are not the best way to promote the brand, OTOH most people do not know if the Cadillac they see on the street is a Fleet car or not since many of these services only put a discrete marking on their cars and their customers are the ones who demand a luxury vehicle so it is a viable (and profitable) part of the luxury segment - just needs to be properly implemented.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,739 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Bottom line is that "Just be Cadillac again" and being modern should, and easily could mean bringing back opulent direction. Powerful engines.. Need to have money to own.. customization.. great looks and individuality. Being Cadillac AGAIN does not have to be the days of floaty boats cruising down the blvd. Those days are done.. and there absolutely is little desire for them among the Gen X, Millennials, or Gen Z. Simple and plain. Striking, unique styling is a must. Cadillac's direction, outside of some people here, resonates strongly with the public.. especially in terms of recognition. There is no one who sees a Cadillac and does not know its a Cadillac. U can see a Cadillac from a mile away.. and know its a Cadillac. It does not mesh in and blend like the Euros and Japanese.. where I have to SQUINT REEAL HARD to know.. "Is that a 3 Series or a Jag Xe, Guilia, Q50, IS350, or A4" "Is that a EClass or a C-Class.. or a S-Class" YUP!!! I said it.. the S-Class is about as distinctive as a C-Class these days in terms of styling. Its pathetic. And even up close.. one has to look to the rear to confirm the model. The CT5 shows a direction of Cadillac design that pushes individuality. Sorry.. There is no luxury sedan on the market it will be confused with.

To VALUE PRICING

The one thing that truly comes to mind to really help Cadillac be Cadillac again.. and it might piss a lot of people off.. but remember when they moved from Detroit to New York? It was a great idea.. but they should have moved about 3400 miles more to the East. I am convinced that luxury cars can't be made in the U.S. because Americans really can't muster up a real interpretation of luxury what luxury is until someone else feeds it to us. We are simply too practical. A blessing and a curse. In truth.. think about individuals here who flinch at a higher. Cheaper pricing advocates are individuals who are either not buying luxury cars anyway or are used to a Walmart mentality concerning car purchasing in general. I sometimes sum it up that "if U're driving a Genesis or Acura U were looking for a deal or are married to Hyundai or Honda. "

Cadillac deserves higher pricing now based on the product that they are producing. Admittedly there are some annoying things that should be included here and there, but nothing I would sacrifice having to blend in with a BMW or constantly have to deal with maintenance in an Audi for.
    This one gets it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (05-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,739 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by The Handler View Post
    The older generations appreciated formal sedans along with dressing well in public. Their children and grandchildren are slobs and degenerates with no class or manners.
    Funny but my 83 yr old father and I had this very discussion just yesterday afternoon lol. But it is so so true.

Thanks

Hence the reason why many try and belittle American luxury... Won't take American luxury serious.. Because VALUE=COMPROMISE and should not be associated with Luxury. I understand not gouging the customer.. and keeping the price in line.. but the CTS, for instance, a better car in many ways than the E-Class or 5Series.. should not HAVE TO BE cheaper for Americans to look at it. Alas it still was less expensive, and still people complained that it wasn't a value oriented luxury car.. an oxymoron if ever there was one. In truth.. perhaps AMERICAN customers are really not what Cadillac should be after to make its way back to top dog. Its impossible.. and I bet a great reason why they are so focused on China. Which.. could prove to be a problem for other reasons. I mean how the hell can U be the best.. When your home market customers demand that not only should U be able to give them everything the competition does, but do it at a cheaper effing price? Where is the logic in that? The price difference between the E63Amg and my CTS-V is not the same as the difference between the turn stalks being used. In other words just because Cadillac has access to Chevy turn stalks doesn't mean that U should save $10K over a damn Mercedes
    The CTS is a perfect example of a Cadillac that had to offer a NA 6.2L in it, the 6.2L S/C is used on the CTS-V so the engine was already designed to fit in the CTS and a NA 6.2L CTS trim would have provided BOTH a unique (and desirable feature 455 HP) and a compelling value over BMW and Mercedes and been a "Cadillac" feature while GM made a handsome profit.

Same can be said for a NA 6.2L in the CT6 and CT5 but we know GM won't do it and thinks that copying the Germans is the way to go - not a good strategy to play the "me too" game in the luxury market, especially when you are playing someone else's game and need to jack up the price to be "the same as BMW/Mercedes" - where is the unique "Cadillac" strategy in that?

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information