Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,139 Posts

Re: Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    The question is tho.. why are we even talking about he Catera in the modern age? Its been gone for 2 decades.. the DTS.. was still on sale as new up until 2013. It was not in IMAGE or STYLING what should have been offered by a luxury company. It literally looked like a GRANDFATHER'S Car. Ford GODSAKE.. I can smell the Bengay

This can actually be driven and no one ask U if U're borrowing your grandparents ride. Cadillac should keep building them (and Buick), if for no other reason than Black Car service

Showing one with an aftermarket soft top is hardly a fair representation of the DTS. And I've seen 2nd and 3rd gen CTS and the XTS with those tops. People want what they want and Cadillac can't stop them from modifying their cars. I've also seen Mercedes with those tops.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-26-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,958 Times in 1,627 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

This can actually be driven and no one ask U if U're borrowing your grandparents ride. Cadillac should keep building them (and Buick), if for no other reason than Black Car service

I stole the wife's car, so I'm driving one today.

The XTS and the Escalade are the most un-German Cadillacs and not surprisingly, very excellent sellers. Well, fancy that!
    But Carlisle got rid of the XTS, so he's talking jibberish with this "Let Cadillac be Cadillac stuff".
    If he really wanted to let Cadillac be Cadillac, the XTS would continue.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-26-2019),DequindreToo (05-22-2019),Extreme4x4 (05-26-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

I think when people talk about going back to Cadillac roots we shouldn't be talking about this:

But should be talking about this:

See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Showing one with an aftermarket soft top is hardly a fair representation of the DTS. And I've seen 2nd and 3rd gen CTS and the XTS with those tops. People want what they want and Cadillac can't stop them from modifying their cars. I've also seen Mercedes with those tops.
    I used Google.. U can too. The DTS without the aftermarket soft top still looks geriatric

My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears. Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    I stole the wife's car, so I'm driving one today.

The XTS and the Escalade are the most un-German Cadillacs and not surprisingly, very excellent sellers. Well, fancy that!
    But Carlisle got rid of the XTS, so he's talking jibberish with this "Let Cadillac be Cadillac stuff".
    If he really wanted to let Cadillac be Cadillac, the XTS would continue.
    At a certain point the XTS became unnecessary except as a fleet car. Once the CT6 arrived it was moot.. in fact.. they would have made things a lot easier had they called the CT6 the XTS.. or DT7 from the git. Stick to the effing names.. not necessary actual names.. just the names they had. Either way.. a CT6 is RWD based with AWD all the time now unless U want it to be biased RWD with a switch. PLUS U can now get it in a V8 TIMES 2 vs 1 V6. The V6 is now the economical option.. and hopefully loses its status as the goto. Sorta like if they decided to put a V6 in the Escalade.. most would still opt for the V8 I believe.

The CT6 is currently.. the most historically accurate representation of CADILLAC in terms of drivetrain, size, and being a CAR. Its missing the floaty boat, non-handling aspect sure.. but who wants that? On top of that.. if U drive a CT6 U are not gonna want for comfort on the road either. It is a very comfortable cruiser in Touring mode to be very honest. The Escalade certainly embodies certain aspects... but we have to remember that up until the Gen3 Escalade.. people were still crying that a Cadillac shouldn't be a TRUCK.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears. Hidden Content

ksr
    Thanks

I used Google.. U can too. The DTS without the aftermarket soft top still looks geriatric

Like I said before, it was designed to complete against exactly one car. The Lincoln Town Car. And it did that quite well. Both ceased production in 2011.

I really don't think it was a bad looking car. It was designed for a specific buyer, most of whom are now six feet under.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadill...02-29-2012.JPG
    Last edited by ksr; 05-22-2019 at 10:17 AM.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

yello430 (05-22-2019)

Thanks

Like I said before, it was designed to complete against exactly one car. The Lincoln Town Car. And it did that quite well. Both ceased production in 2011.
    Which shows U a huge problem with GM during that time period. 211,518 sales over 8 years in one market during CAR YEARS.. versus the XTS selling in two markets 288,176 over 7 years in CUV years.. at a higher price, and much more competitive with the REAL competition.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 933 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

It was designed for a specific buyer, most of whom are now six feet under.
    At least some of them were transported to their final resting place in a certain kind of Cadillac DTS:

God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-26-2019),ksr (05-22-2019),Mr.Buttons (05-22-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

I Prefer the DTS Design just with RWD Drivetrain. It would had been what the Chrysler 300 is today.....

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 69gtsdart For This Useful Post:

377Z (05-22-2019),Envoy4Life (05-23-2019),ryannel2003 (05-22-2019),The Handler (05-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,958 Times in 1,627 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

At a certain point the XTS became unnecessary except as a fleet car. Once the CT6 arrived it was moot.
    The CT6 would fit in my garage, just not as well as the XTS. it's actually 1/2" narrower than the likes of the G80 and RLX.
    But the wife insisted that her car will have a CD player, so I installed the glovebox unit. Like the G80 and RLX, it's 100% compliant.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

ksr
    Thanks

Which shows U a huge problem with GM during that time period. 211,518 sales over 8 years in one market during CAR YEARS.. versus the XTS selling in two markets 288,176 over 7 years in CUV years.. at a higher price, and much more competitive with the REAL competition.
    I'm not really defending the DTS as a car. It was well made for what it was under that outdated skin. And it certainly not something I'd have ever considered.

But I do defend that Cadillac built it. They were grasping with Lincoln at the last of the buyers for such cars. I wish they'd battle with BMW and the other Germans for coupe and convertible buyers rather than ceding whatever market is left for those cars.

Maybe it was a mistake since it was pretty obvious when the DTS launched that the buyers were dying out and that very few younger buyers would want a DTS even as they aged. But it launched in 2006. It's been gone for eight years now, so it's about as relevant as the Catera mentioned before.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

There's nothing luxurious about a cramped sedan with a stiff ride and barely enough trunk room for one set of golf clubs, much less weekend luggage for 3 or 4. It's almost as if they're forcing people to buy Escalades and Tahoes.

The 2nd gen CTS really stood out from the crowd, unlike their sedans since. Those pics of the CT5 on the street were encouraging, unlike the earlier photos. Just like the 2nd gen, the wider stance makes a difference.

Maybe it was a mistake since it was pretty obvious when the DTS launched that the buyers were dying out and that very few younger buyers would want a DTS even as they aged.
    I'm not dead yet, thank you.

I would not have bought either new, but my Deville and DTS have been great used cars and real bargains. My last new car, an Intrigue, was a huge disappointment in multiple ways. I've seen nothing that offers anything significantly better without major, non-start shortcomings.
    Last edited by ral1960; 05-22-2019 at 11:14 AM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Premium Member yello430's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

dts.jpg

Without ridiculous vinyl top
    Hidden Content

twitter: forzablitz

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Premium Member yello430's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride