Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again - Page 10

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    China was in the back of my mind, but I wasn't going to propose keeping the XTS alive by importing it from China...that tends not to be a well received idea.

Economics of a US-built XTS for the US market simply aren't there now that the LaX and Impy are gone and sales are low. And the car doesn't help Cadillac's image as a credible luxury competitor, though if Carlisle's executive word salad of "let Cadillac be Cadillac" just means value priced luxury like it was 20+ years ago then I suppose there's a case for this poorly proportioned DTS replacement.
    I thought I was the only one who found the proportions of the XTS incredibly odd. Both the Hood and trunk are incredibly stubby. The Lacrosse and Impala arent stricken w/ these proportions...if they are, it isn't as obvious.
    It was a weird translation of art and science back then coming from the '08 changeover (CTS) .. Which is more upright.. Hence the CT5 and 4 are evolving the language

Anyway.. Proportions be damned... It was a way of keeping the CT6 out of fleet duty.. As their has to be a Cadillac car in Black Car services. Then again.. Black Car is not rental so I guess it's cool.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Re: Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I thought I was the only one who found the proportions of the XTS incredibly odd. Both the Hood and trunk are incredibly stubby. The Lacrosse and Impala arent stricken w/ these proportions...if they are, it isn't as obvious.
    The hood is very stubby and on the XTS the rear overhang is just so ungainly. I assume they couldn't stretch the epsilon wheelbase any further so to maximize rear seat room and make a cavernous trunk befitting of a large Cadillac the answer was a huge overhang out back. The greenhouse appears very narrow and upright too. Basically the complete opposite of the CT6 proportions which are long, low slung and stately.

The original Seville and Deville/DTS K/G bodies even though FWD had far better proportions.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

ryannel2003 (05-29-2019)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    It was a weird translation of art and science back then coming from the '08 changeover (CTS) .. Which is more upright.. Hence the CT5 and 4 are evolving the language

Anyway.. Proportions be damned... It was a way of keeping the CT6 out of fleet duty.. As their has to be a Cadillac car in Black Car services. Then again.. Black Car is not rental so I guess it's cool.
    I just don't think a CT6 as black car service would be as damaging. After all the S-Class fills this role in Europe and even some US locations. The XTS just seems like it's ONLY purpose is limo fleets, like the long-running Town Car.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,230 Times in 1,931 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Then again.. Black Car is not rental so I guess it's cool.
    Livery Service sales are not a problem as long as the number isn't more than 10-12% of total sales. Properly managed, there is no damage to the brand.

1: Livery cars are purpose built and usually have specific features (like being painted black, for example). Rental fleet cars are the same product sold at retail by dealers.

2: To the point above, the sheer number of Livery cars sold is a fraction of the usual "Fleet Dump" to Avis, Budget et al.

3: Livery cars are in service for years. Rental fleets usually sell, or worse auction their vehicles off after about a year causing a glut on the market and lowering residual values.
    Last edited by megeebee; 05-29-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

Walking
    Thanks

I have loved Cadillacs for almost my entire life. My great uncle worked for Cadillac and his visits were always exciting since he was driving a car with something that was "experimental." When I was finally able to purchase a Cadillac it was a 2010 CTS. We still have that car and it is wonderful in all aspects that appeal to the general consumer. Fast forward nine years and I purchased the "top of the line" XT4 Sport model. It is stylish, loaded with extras and I wanted one the first day that I saw a promotional video. Sadly, it is a disappointing car for me. I have had several problems that I would attribute to production quality control. Of greatest significance is the engine and the transmission. They are not a marriage made in heaven and do not seem to be able to communicate with one another. This car was towed twice before it had 1000 miles. My purpose is not to complain, but rather to suggest that my 2010 is a Cadillac and this very expensive high end 2019 doesn't know what it is and performs in such a manner as to suggest that it was not ready for the market, especially as a "luxury" automobile. Their future productions certainly require a better introduction to the market than the XT4. (I should add that I am not alone in having some of these issues)

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information