Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 Times in 901 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

Canada's Steve Carlisle talks EV plan for luxury brand
    STEPHANIE WALLCRAFT
    April 26, 2019
    Automotive News Canada

Canada’s Steve Carlisle has plenty of priorities for Cadillac, the brand he has led for a year. But one of the biggest is to move the luxury line back to the “head of the pack” among General Motors brands, particularly where electrification is concerned.

However, he said at a recent conference that it will take three years for the brand’s first EV to join the line-up.

Carlisle explained the reasoning for the positioning shift for Cadillac as being based on the legacy notion that something that stands out in its field has long been referred to as the Cadillac of its kind.

“We’ve tried to out-German the Germans,” he said. “We can’t outdo what others have already done.

“Right now, we’re the underdog, and that gives us the opportunity to be the comeback kid.

“Maybe it’s time for Cadillac just to be Cadillac again and let it speak for itself, not be put into someone else’s box.”
    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 Times in 901 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Carlisle: Time for Cadillac to just to be Cadillac again

This is a few weeks old, but thought it was still worth posting if only because of the little nugget quoted above.

Carlisle's comments are interesting --- and potentially troubling.

One one hand, there's no doubt it's hard to chase other brands in areas they are well established in ("We’ve tried to out-German the Germans, and can't outdo what others have already done"). And yet, Caddy has made enormous progress in chasing the Germans and pushing their performance credentials.

On the other hand, there's also something to be said about "going back to your roots" and putting "luxury first" to consumers.

In a strange way, what Carlisle is saying sounds very much akin to what Lincoln has been pursuing the past few years (which has been even further realized as Lincoln re-embraces a "powerful, quiet luxury" direction and drops it's alphanumeric nomenclature and readopts actual names).

I obviously want Cadillac to improve in every way possible. However, I don't want them to fully abandon the things they've "done right" only because they've changed managers and there's new leadership in place.

Whatever they do, I just hope that Carlisle doesn't fully abandon some of the progress they've made in the past 17 years. No one would have thought to put "Caddy" and "Performance" (or "Caddy" and "German car brands") in the same sentence when they began their initial "turn around" with the first CTS in 2002/2003. Since then, Caddy has burnished their Crest and made lots of inroads among consumers -- but never went far enough and always feel slightly short of the marque. And yet, to abandon some of the good will (and improved-quality perceptions, improved brand awareness, etc) that they've cultivated over that time just for the sake of "doing something" would be foolish.

I wish them well.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 05-21-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 3,171 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

He is a Chevrolet man, This is what he means. He is a Reuss Stooge. I do not think Reuss knows how to make Cadillac great again..

This guy is not going to be good for Cadillac, I knew it the day I saw him. He is the discount and sales volume man.The DTS was Cadillac's low point.

The Johan strategy of two lines, Luxury and performance seems to be the best approach. This guy is going to put all Cadillac's on Chevy platforms, which are excellent for Chevrolet, but are not what Cadillac should be.

General Motors is really run by fools.
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 05-21-2019 at 11:39 PM.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-26-2019),CadillacSA (05-22-2019),Chassis Guy (05-23-2019),Engelman (05-31-2019),Evo69 (05-22-2019),SierraGS (05-25-2019),YEH (05-26-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,014 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

The second gen cts and cts v were cadillac values that rang true with consumers...

Thats my opinion..luxury, performance and value were all in cue with the second gen cts.

When JDN took over he literally told the consumer he was going to elevate pricing to create exclusivity which was consumer code word for german like rip off and unit sales at cadillac took a dump.

American style and luxury along with performance would be cool for cadillac to rebalance,
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (05-22-2019),Dheart (05-22-2019),jzchev28 (05-22-2019),ksr (05-22-2019),tripowergto Jan2003 (05-22-2019),yello430 (05-22-2019),Z Fury (05-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    He is a Chevrolet man, This is what he means. He is a Reuss Stooge. I do not think Reuss knows how to make Cadillac great again..

This guy is not going to be good for Cadillac, I knew it the day I saw him. He is the discount and sales volume man.The DTS was Cadillac's low point.

The Johan strategy of two lines, Luxury and performance seems to be the best approach. This guy is going to put all Cadillac's on Chevy platforms, which are excellent for Chevrolet, but are not what Cadillac should be.

General Motors is really run by fools.
    So the Catera was a point higher than the DTS?. I still see the DTS on the road and in nice shape. I can't say the same about the Catera......S**t, I can't remember when the last time I saw one on the road...Its had to have been about 15 years at the least.

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    So the Catera was a point higher than the DTS?. I still see the DTS on the road and in nice shape. I can't say the same about the Catera......S**t, I can't remember when the last time I saw one on the road...Its had to have been about 15 years at the least.
    Agree. There were certainly lower points than the DTS. Several.

As for the DTS, anyone with any sense knew from day one that it wasn't going to be a big hit. It was still a very traditional Cadillac. But it was a damn good one. It's buyers have died out.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with the sentiment in regards to the DTS. Man I hated that car.. was glad as **** when the XTS replaced it.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (05-22-2019),mbukukanyau (05-22-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    The second gen cts and cts v were cadillac values that rang true with consumers...

Thats my opinion..luxury, performance and value were all in cue with the second gen cts.

When JDN took over he literally told the consumer he was going to elevate pricing to create exclusivity which was consumer code word for german like rip off and unit sales at cadillac took a dump.

American style and luxury along with performance would be cool for cadillac to rebalance,

Hence the reason why many try and belittle American luxury... Won't take American luxury serious.. Because VALUE=COMPROMISE and should not be associated with Luxury. I understand not gouging the customer.. and keeping the price in line.. but the CTS, for instance, a better car in many ways than the E-Class or 5Series.. should not HAVE TO BE cheaper for Americans to look at it. Alas it still was less expensive, and still people complained that it wasn't a value oriented luxury car.. an oxymoron if ever there was one. In truth.. perhaps AMERICAN customers are really not what Cadillac should be after to make its way back to top dog. Its impossible.. and I bet a great reason why they are so focused on China. Which.. could prove to be a problem for other reasons. I mean how the hell can U be the best.. When your home market customers demand that not only should U be able to give them everything the competition does, but do it at a cheaper effing price? Where is the logic in that? The price difference between the E63Amg and my CTS-V is not the same as the difference between the turn stalks being used. In other words just because Cadillac has access to Chevy turn stalks doesn't mean that U should save $10K over a damn Mercedes
    Last edited by CMiatso DaBang; 05-22-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

Blackdynamite (05-22-2019),CadillacSA (05-22-2019),Dheart (05-22-2019),Evo69 (05-22-2019),glssmann1 (05-22-2019),jzchev28 (05-22-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Is emulating Lincoln such a great idea? Sales have not picked up that well over there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to joey For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (05-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 623 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Cadillac works when you get "more for the money luxury". CTS was bigger than other entry luxury cars but was a little bigger for the same price. Do that.

Would love to see the CT-5 and CT-4 priced very aggressively.

Escalade also needs an re-do yesterday. Can't let that slide too long.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    Cadillac works when you get "more for the money luxury". CTS was bigger than other entry luxury cars but was a little bigger for the same price. Do that.

Yeah because nothing spells luxury like a CT5 priced below a top of the line Camry.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

Blackdynamite (05-22-2019),CadillacSA (05-22-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 3,171 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Catera was indeed higher than DTS, consider it was aimed at the C Class and DTS at S Class.

So we are headed back to ruined luxury

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post

Even in the luxury world, there's nothing wrong with offering more for the money. Most luxury cars aren't Rolls-Royce where price doesn't matter, and they're not even an S Class. The vast bulk of the luxury market is offered at price points where price differences still do matter. People shopping for 3 Series, C Class, 5 Series, E Class cars still are swayed by price differences of $5K or $10K.

If Cadillac can offer a car as good as the competition at a lower price (a big "if"), then that's is a good thing.

Cadillac wants to compete at a higher price point. Fine. But you can't just make that jump all at once. They destroyed CTS sales by doing that. It has to be a gradual rise.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

ksr
    Thanks

Catera was indeed higher than DTS, consider it was aimed at the C Class and DTS at S Class.

Catera was perhaps Cadillac's first attempt at European style performance-oriented luxury. (Maybe you could say the first attempt was the original Seville. Or, yikes, the Cimarron.) I suppose you could say that it was aimed at a C Class.

The DTS was traditional Cadillac. If you need to line it up by model, I guess you could say it was aimed at the S Class, but I really don't think that iw accurate. It was a car from the old era when Cadillac only cared about Lincoln. In reality, the DTS was competition for the Town Car and nothing else (including the livery and funeral markets).

DTS was the last in a long line of big highway cruisers. Few people still cared about cars like that, but it was a fitting sendoff to that genre.
    Last edited by ksr; 05-22-2019 at 08:55 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-26-2019),MercerGrad (05-22-2019)

Thanks

The question is tho.. why are we even talking about he Catera in the modern age? Its been gone for 2 decades.. the DTS.. was still on sale as new up until 2013. It was not in IMAGE or STYLING what should have been offered by a luxury company. It literally looked like a GRANDFATHER'S Car. Ford GODSAKE.. I can smell the Bengay

This can actually be driven and no one ask U if U're borrowing your grandparents ride. Cadillac should keep building them (and Buick), if for no other reason than Black Car service

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-26-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information