Car & Driver: 2015 Cadillac Escalade / Escalade ESV First Drive - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car & Driver: 2015 Cadillac Escalade / Escalade ESV First Drive

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Car & Driver: 2015 Cadillac Escalade / Escalade ESV First Drive

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    If you think people will be cross shopping them because of EB your kidding yourself. Navi "MIGHT" be cross shoped with Yukon or Yukon Denali but Escalade is a subcompact away in price.
    It's not just EB, as I indicated in my post.

But it would seem that Ford could slap an EcoBoost emblem on a Big Wheel and it will sell because of it. This will help A LOT, and while agree that the Denali and LTZ will be cross-shopped more often, the Escalade is also going to be in the crosshairs for some for the first time in years.
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    That was the data I was thinking of.

178K is average for the Escalade. Which means that 50% have less family income than that. Average transaction price about 75K. If you make 175K/year and spend 75 on a car, you're financially stupid. It's that simple. So the incremental price of gas is not going to mean much to someone like that.

Want a little more detail? TCO (true cost to own) for a midrange Escalade is about 100K over 5 years, or 20K per year. 175 means about 100K take home after all taxes, etc in an average state. Spending 20% of your family income on one vehicle ( a depreciating asset) is financially retarded.
    Have you heard of this new thing called "leasing"?

If you make 178k/year, you gross almost 15k a month. An Escalade for $75k is probably around 1100/mo here. Big deal.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    You are describing the median, not the average (mean). The Bloomberg link states the numbers as a median, so you are correct that 50% have less income than that. But, 50% also have a greater family income than 175k. As for being financially stupid, how is that any different than someone making $40k a year and buying a $27k Honda Accord? Buying a brand new car, no matter how much money you, is almost never the financially wise choice to make.
    I would completely agree buying an Accord on 40 is just as ill advised.

There's exceptions to everything, my point was if you're going to spend 80K on a car, and the incomes are as low as they are implying this vehicle is bought on impulse and desire, then those individuals on average aren't going to worry about a few bucks in gas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information