Car & Driver: 2015 Cadillac Escalade / Escalade ESV First Drive - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car & Driver: 2015 Cadillac Escalade / Escalade ESV First Drive

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: Car & Driver: 2015 Cadillac Escalade / Escalade ESV First Drive

At 75690 there shouldn't really be much in the way of options especially the 8500 premium package. As usual GM is overpricing what is still essentially a gussied up Tahoe with a larger engine. Also the 8 speed should have been ready out of the gate at these price levels.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    This is going to be real interesting in terms of the Escalade's renewed battle with the Navigator.

I think the EB V6 in the 'gator is going to be a real selling point, and we know Ford will market the hell out of it. The recent redesign also improves the Navigator's previously tired maw. Factor in a lower base price, and we could actually see a real sales battle for the first time in nearly a decade.

For my dollar, I'd take the Cadillac every day of the week, but there's a great number of people who will fall for Ford's EcoBoost marketing.
    in reality they don't really compete that is unless Lincoln is going to be adding about 10k worth of options to the base model Navigator.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0T

In three years selling Cadillac, I got cross-shopped to a Navigator exactly 3 times. The Navigator hasn't been an Escalade competitor in a decade. The true competition is Range Rover, the Mercedes GL, and the Denali. No other vehicles really enter consumers' realm at this price point.

------

If I had my druthers, the Escalade would offer the LF3 at 400/400 as a no charge option to pull the 5 ppl who will care about Ecoboost and to [hopefully] squeeze out an extra MPG or two. For Premium and Platinum packages, I would offer a Vsport with the new TTV8 from the Elmiraj concept at 500/500. Make it a $7,000 upgrade just like it is on the XTS, and you have a 3-engine lineup for all buyers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,348 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I see the 'NAVI "playing" with the Denali OR LTZ TAHOE more then the 'SLADE EX as the 'SLADE is an IMAGE machine which was "stollen" from the NAVI
    I think the 'NAVI will give the LTZ's a run on value/capability front

and as for the review I can see C&D not being excited about it as all the + reasons for it are not present in a quick road test IE "bling factor" / the need for Luxury after a "hard" day ETC

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DenaliHD66 View Post
    There is no competition for the Escalade. The navigator? PUHLEASE. Not even close. The gap is only going to grow since now they are only offering it with the crappy ecoboost engine. 6.2L > 3.5L. When was the last time someone bragged about owning a Navigator? Escalade is the American icon that spells out success and functionality, and 'I'm not a huge douche so I didn't buy some overrated mercedes or audi...'

Escalade. Best. SUV. Ever. Made.
    The problem is, the car-buying public doesn't share your low opinion of EcoBoost. Yes, you and I are going to agree that it's just hype, but it's been very effective. And while the Navigator is still the same tired-old lux-truck under the skin (motor excepted), Ford has managed to freshen up that pig with a lot of lipstick so that it, at least, LOOKS competitive and is cheaper to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    in reality they don't really compete that is unless Lincoln is going to be adding about 10k worth of options to the base model Navigator.
    They may not compete right now, but I do not underestimate the value that the EB hype brings to the line. And in an economy that's not improving, even folks in the target demographic might perceive the Navi as offering superior value for the money, which could cost the Escalade some sales.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewStandard View Post
    In three years selling Cadillac, I got cross-shopped to a Navigator exactly 3 times. The Navigator hasn't been an Escalade competitor in a decade. The true competition is Range Rover, the Mercedes GL, and the Denali. No other vehicles really enter consumers' realm at this price point.
    Your personal experience is very insightful, and I agree 100% that the Navigator has not been an Escalade competitor since GWB's first term. Thing is, the Navigator was pretty much the same truck in all of that time . It's now seen a pretty significant update, especially in the poweretain department, so I would guess that you'll see it cross-shopped a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I see the 'NAVI "playing" with the Denali OR LTZ TAHOE more then the 'SLADE EX as the 'SLADE is an IMAGE machine which was "stollen" from the NAVI
    I think the 'NAVI will give the LTZ's a run on value/capability front
    Agreed on the impact to the Tahoe LTZ and Yukon Denali. It will be interesting to see how the sales break out amongst these 4 vehicles in the next year or so.
    Last edited by vanshmack; 04-08-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Think about it. Where do they go with pricing if they are going to be able to hit fuel economy targets. They have to get lighter, plus there is a segment that wants IrS and real fold down third, not the bumped up floor they have now. So adding lightness adds cost. These things need to be unit body. And there is no reason why they can't have the same towing capability with a unit body.

And while they are at it lose the fender gap. Geez GM why can't you just stop with the tire to fender gap?
    I don't know if GM has done it purposely or not but I think the fender gap is beneficial. The amount of current gen Escalades I see with larger than factory rims and tires is crazy. The extra space prevents the need for lift kits or having the wheel wells shaved for clearance. Also helps retain some value when putting the factory setup back on when it comes time to sell or trade.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,059 Posts

The new Escalade should be a big seller for Cadillac. The price increase may lead some buyers into the German camp, but its now worthy of commanding a higher price (more profit).

When is the Platinum supposed to come out?

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ill stick to my tahoe ltz just saying....lade nice though

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 boblutzfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy SS / 2015 / 6M

I think Lincoln will try their best to market Ecoboost for the Navigator and it may work for some. But I think the Navigator will compete more directly with the Tahoe/Yukon than the Escalade. Luxury buyers want world class interiors. Getting into a Navigator and seeing basically the same dials as in the cheaper Ford Fusion will be a turn off. The interior is outclassed by the Chevy LTZ and Yukon Denali. That is if they can get past the terrible looking dare I say wimpy clown faced exterior.

The Cadillac will win buyers by offering a world class interior completely covered in real wood and leather. Very few touch points have plastic. Hell, even the area between the door and dash that is only seen when the doors are open are covered in leather. Cadillac put the money where it will sell...into the interior. The dash, seats, gorgeous wood, door coverings and even the blu ray players leave me wondering what will they do to bring a Platinum model out?! I have sat in the Escalade and it is nothing short of revolutionary. It is the nicest vehicle I have ever sat in period. The brown and black interior with the open poor wood is world class. This will draw in import buyers that have in the past demanded interior quality from Audi, MB and Range Rover.

The Navigator will not compete against this. The last gen Escalade handily outsold the Navigator with a much cheaper and plastic covered interior despite being more expensive. No amount of EcoBoost marketing can take away from the impact that buyers will have when they sit in the drivers seat. With GM's trick magnetic ride suspension, hushed interior and huge brand equity in the Escalade name lincoln will see continued market share erosion here.

Excellent job GM. Now figure out a way to start effectively marketing the CTS!!!
    My current ride - 2015 Chevy SS with a six speed manual and sunroof

Previous Rides:
    1996 Cougar XR7 4.6 V8 - retired at 121K trouble free miles
    1996 Nissan 240SX SE - retired at 111K trouble free miles
    2004 Mazda6S - retired at 65K trouble free miles
    2005 Cadillac CTS - worst car ever owned - got rid of at 52K miles
    2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6 with a six speed manual

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy SS / 2015 / 6M

By the way - Motor Trend has a new article up on the Escalade and a poll...the majority overwhelmingly prefer the Escalade. The article has some really great high resolution pictures of an ESV premium model.

Previous Rides:

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 98sonoma View Post
    Where are you getting this info from?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...er-models.html
    That was the data I was thinking of.

178K is average for the Escalade. Which means that 50% have less family income than that. Average transaction price about 75K. If you make 175K/year and spend 75 on a car, you're financially stupid. It's that simple. So the incremental price of gas is not going to mean much to someone like that.

Want a little more detail? TCO (true cost to own) for a midrange Escalade is about 100K over 5 years, or 20K per year. 175 means about 100K take home after all taxes, etc in an average state. Spending 20% of your family income on one vehicle ( a depreciating asset) is financially retarded.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post

178K is average for the Escalade. Which means that 50% have less family income than that. Average transaction price about 75K. If you make 175K/year and spend 75 on a car, you're financially stupid. It's that simple. So the incremental price of gas is not going to mean much to someone like that.

Want a little more detail? TCO (true cost to own) for a midrange Escalade is about 100K over 5 years, or 20K per year. 175 means about 100K take home after all taxes, etc in an average state. Spending 20% of your family income on one vehicle ( a depreciating asset) is financially retarded.
    You are describing the median, not the average (mean). The Bloomberg link states the numbers as a median, so you are correct that 50% have less income than that. But, 50% also have a greater family income than 175k. As for being financially stupid, how is that any different than someone making $40k a year and buying a $27k Honda Accord? Buying a brand new car, no matter how much money you, is almost never the financially wise choice to make.
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to impala02 For This Useful Post:

98sonoma (04-09-2014),boblutzfan (04-09-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

This is going to be real interesting in terms of the Escalade's renewed battle with the Navigator.

I think the EB V6 in the 'gator is going to be a real selling point, and we know Ford will market the hell out of it. The recent redesign also improves the Navigator's previously tired maw. Factor in a lower base price, and we could actually see a real sales battle for the first time in nearly a decade.

For my dollar, I'd take the Cadillac every day of the week, but there's a great number of people who will fall for Ford's EcoBoost marketing.
    There is no battle. The war is won/lost already. Cadillac won it decades ago.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mchicha For This Useful Post:

boblutzfan (04-09-2014)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy SS / 2015 / 6M

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post

Escalade is a huge seller in Texas which is not your average state - as we don't have state income taxes and have relatively cheaper fuel prices than the East or West coast. Not sure what the statistics are for last year...but it wasn't too many years ago that GM sales of their made in Texas full size SUVs to Texas residents were equal to all other states combined. With cheaper housing relative to other states - owning a massive SUV in Texas is much more affordable than the rest of the country. So - while in theory I agree with your statement - the states where these are big sellers are not your "Average State".

Previous Rides:

Thanks

The problem is, the car-buying public doesn't share your low opinion of EcoBoost. Yes, you and I are going to agree that it's just hype, but it's been very effective. And while the Navigator is still the same tired-old lux-truck under the skin (motor excepted), Ford has managed to freshen up that pig with a lot of lipstick so that it, at least, LOOKS competitive and is cheaper to boot.

They may not compete right now, but I do not underestimate the value that the EB hype brings to the line. And in an economy that's not improving, even folks in the target demographic might perceive the Navi as offering superior value for the money, which could cost the Escalade some sales.

Your personal experience is very insightful, and I agree 100% that the Navigator has not been an Escalade competitor since GWB's first term. Thing is, the Navigator was pretty much the same truck in all of that time . It's now seen a pretty significant update, especially in the poweretain department, so I would guess that you'll see it cross-shopped a bit more.

Agreed on the impact to the Tahoe LTZ and Yukon Denali. It will be interesting to see how the sales break out amongst these 4 vehicles in the next year or so.

If you think people will be cross shopping them because of EB your kidding yourself. Navi "MIGHT" be cross shoped with Yukon or Yukon Denali but Escalade is a subcompact away in price.

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information