Cadillac XT6 Continues To Disappoint; Fuel Economy Numbers Are Out - Page 6

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac XT6 Continues To Disappoint; Fuel Economy Numbers Are Out

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,860 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Cadillac XT6 Continues To Disappoint; Fuel Economy Numbers Are Out

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Another one of the old guard. What's up Bro?

Here's the thing about the XT6.. As i kept having a pricing conversation I became convinced that the XT5-L idea might have been a better name.. then I saw a specific Caddy commercial and realized that Cadillac really is trying to take a on a different level of the market. Hence my references back to the "for women as an alternative to the Escalade." I truly believe that the target segment for the XT6, intentionally, is to cater to more females than the heavy skewed male target market of the Escalade garners. I bet good money that U will see more men, by percentage, in the Aviator than U will see in the XT6. Similar in the way the old QX56 and Infiniti FX35-45 pulled in more males, while the EX35 pulled in women. But, for the sake of argument I will wait and see. I truly believe that CAdillac specifically designed the XT4,5, and 6 as vehicles to bring more women into the CUV portion of the brand. The Escalade and ESV will continue to be pushed to men, with the XT7, possibly going RWD to attract men looking for a smaller SUV. CUVs are normally marketed towards women. That's not a statement of opinion, its fact. Also the highest demographic buying luxury CUVs is female
    ...And all those females will get their men to pay for the gas I suppose?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 657 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    As with other recently introduced GM vehicles, there is a large contingent of GM faithful (sheeple?) that will consider purchasing an XT6 despite its demerits.

Can't blame GM for its strategy here. Minimizing engineering and development costs and maximizing transaction prices with "good enough" products has helped it achieve pretty good EBIT numbers in the past couple years.
    You dont have to be GM faithful at all.

Look at how many of those awful Rogues are sold by Nissan. This segment requires zero effort.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (05-25-2019),wallus13 (05-28-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    ...And all those females will get their men to pay for the gas I suppose?
    LOL. These days it might be the opposite
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-25-2019),megeebee (05-24-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jesda1 View Post

Look at how many of those awful Rogues are sold by Nissan. This segment requires zero effort.
    So you say.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-25-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC KingElv!s's Avatar
    Thanks

Probably the natasp V6 Cad will do better in the real world anyway, since the turbo 4s usually get driven harder. Having more low end boost encourages lead feet, while the winding power of nat asp tends to limit lead-footery to highway passing or merging.

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,357 Times in 2,208 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by KingElv!s View Post
    Probably the natasp V6 Cad will do better in the real world anyway, since the turbo 4s usually get driven harder. Having more low end boost encourages lead feet, while the winding power of nat asp tends to limit lead-footery to highway passing or merging.
    What you're saying is that the 2.0T has quicker throttle "tip in" that gives a more geometric throttle feel going rapidly from non-boost to on boost and fuel enrichment.

In contrast, the 3.6 V6 has more progressive throttle that allows for greater part throttle fuel efficiency thanks to fuel enrichment deeper into the throttle giving plenty of top end horsepower. The V6 is like a smaller version of the Ford Coyote v8.
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-25-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,028 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Good points jesda1. Nissan's owner loyalty in the U.S. is lower than GM's, though. And Nissan has been struggling recently with profitability.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

Meh! Criticizing for criticizing sake of a another GM vehicle. Im not a big fan of the XT6, but Carbuzz just taking the piss here. I'll add them to those autorags that I'll avoid like the plague.
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KingElv!s View Post
    What you're saying is that the 2.0T has quicker throttle "tip in" that gives a more geometric throttle feel going rapidly from non-boost to on boost and fuel enrichment.

In contrast, the 3.6 V6 has more progressive throttle that allows for greater part throttle fuel efficiency thanks to fuel enrichment deeper into the throttle giving plenty of top end horsepower. The V6 is like a smaller version of the Ford Coyote v8.
    I think that has always been the consensus. I think the 3.6 is helluva motor, and since revisions nearly a decade ago for old timing belt issues it had been pretty solid as a 200k+ motor. I'm at 100k now in the Impala and zero issues, and still running like newish. Power is more abundant it seems in fact. My only issue with it being in the XT6 is that I truly believe Cadillac would be better off with its own exclusive engines. To me it makes zero sense to have the CT5 with a complete Forced Induction line up and the XT5 or 6.. Or even the CT6 still be using the the 3.6. The 3.0LTT could be THEIR engine for anything that needs a V6. The 3.0 in the CT5 is not the LGW.. It's a new build and was designed to be a replacement for the aforementioned 3.6. So.. Again.. Cadillac.. WTF are U not utilizing your exclusive designed and engineered tech beyond one car? GM wants to have consolidate platforms.. How about starting off with something simpler like consolidating powertrains with a division. Cadillac should have a differently tuned 2.0L, and exclusive 3.0LTT, and a 4.2LTT, with the latter two in different HP configs. If SAE certification is not a necessity.. Then screw it. Perhaps the cost of doing that over and over again is what's stopping certain actions
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (05-25-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

At worst, that's pretty average FE for a large crossover powered by a conventional low-tech V6, it's similar to the other GM midsizers using the same engine. GM doesn't have a huge selection of power plants, none of their utilities have anything potent or terribly sophisticated to offer. This is an area where GM has severely under-invested next to its competitors, presumably because they are saving that money for the next thing...one would hope. But it's also true that good enough is likely all that matters for their customer. Lincoln on the other hand is betting far more on utilities with a far grander technology and performance story, not to mention a higher price (at the top). It's possible Caddy will catch-up one day once they sort out their utility priorities, but I have no reason to believe the XT6 will suffer in terms of sales. The Aviator is Lincoln flagship, the XT6 is not Caddy's. The Aviator is Lincolns CT6, CT5, XT6 and Twin-Turbo V8 all rolled into one product. I think Lincoln probably put its best efforts into the right categories. I wouldn't be surprised if XT6 was largely rushed to market because of Aviator which was a very poorly kept secret for 5 years of development.

I will say that the XT6 looks fairly attractive on the road, especially with what appears to be standard body-colored trim, unlike Aviator which requires you to spend quite a bit more to get a truly upscale monocrhome look (Black Label or Grand Touring). So although the Aviator crushes XT6 on tech and proportions, a more accessible upscale trim package helps to compensate.

I generally hate defending products on the basis of a business strategy, so ultimately I prefer to root for the most ambitious product rather than the most adept profit generator which rewards strategy more than anything. This is how we use to defend Lincoln and now we're doing it with Caddy...which is a remarkable turn of events.
    Last edited by BORG; 05-25-2019 at 03:45 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (05-25-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

No one cares much about fuel economy in this segment.

But the styling and interior need some help. It doesnt look expensive enough to me.

But I still prefer its looks to the Q5 and Q7.
    True. I've always figured those people with the bucks to spend on this type of vehicle and brand, that the fuel economy is farther down the ladder. They can afford it even though not that much different than its competition, I agree with your comment on looks, but that's coming from one who also likes the old Ford Freestyle too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    At worst, that's pretty average FE for a large crossover powered by a conventional low-tech V6, it's similar to the other GM midsizers using the same engine. GM doesn't have a huge selection of power plants, none of their utilities have anything potent or terribly sophisticated to offer. This is an area where GM has severely under-invested next to its competitors, presumably because they are saving that money for the next thing...one would hope. But it's also true that good enough is likely all that matters for their customer. Lincoln on the other hand is betting far more on utilities with a far grander technology and performance story, not to mention a higher price (at the top). It's possible Caddy will catch-up one day once they sort out their utility priorities, but I have no reason to believe the XT6 will suffer in terms of sales. The Aviator is Lincoln flagship, the XT6 is not Caddy's. The Aviator is Lincolns CT6, CT5, XT6 and Twin-Turbo V8 all rolled into one product. I think Lincoln probably put its best efforts into the right categories. I wouldn't be surprised if XT6 was largely rushed to market because of Aviator which was a very poorly kept secret for 5 years of development.

I will say that the XT6 looks fairly attractive on the road, especially with what appears to be standard body-colored trim, unlike Aviator which requires you to spend quite a bit more to get a truly upscale monocrhome look (Black Label or Grand Touring). So although the Aviator crushes XT6 on tech and proportions, a more accessible upscale trim package helps to compensate.

I generally hate defending products on the basis of a business strategy, so ultimately I prefer to root for the most ambitious product rather than the most adept profit generator which rewards strategy more than anything. This is how we use to defend Lincoln and now we're doing it with Caddy...which is a remarkable turn of events.
    But only because Cadillac is holding back. The XT6 with a Twin Turbo and a hybrid would level the performance playing ground.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,085 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    But only because Cadillac is holding back. The XT6 with a Twin Turbo and a hybrid would level the performance playing ground.
    Did the Twin Turbo in the Continental level the performance playground with the CT6? The XT6 will NEVER be on a level performance playground with the Aviator, but that won't matter to 90% of buyers.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

For the mpg here I would recommend actually driving one.

My Denali on the same platform gets 21 city and 31.5 at 70 mph and I am not trying for mpg in sport AWD mode.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,181 Times in 2,406 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by scott3 View Post
    For the mpg here I would recommend actually driving one.

My Denali on the same platform gets 21 city and 31.5 at 70 mph and I am not trying for mpg in sport AWD mode.
    Actually calculated for a whole tank?? Those are the best numbers I've seen ever reported.

#suspense

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information