GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac XT4 Review | Kelly Blue Book

8K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  Mr.Buttons 
#1 · (Edited)
Cadillac XT4 Review
Kelly Blue Book
October 19, 2020
By: Collin Ryan

The ride quality of the 2021 XT4 is really good for the class. The turbocharged engine’s maximum thrust chimes in from just above idle right up to 4,000 rpm, with plenty of punch remaining for another 1,000 rpm beyond that. Zipping away from standstill, darting through traffic, and overtaking are all made more enjoyable by the presence of a smooth-shifting 9-speed automatic transmission.

With the optional all-wheel-drive (AWD) system, the driver can toggle through four settings: Touring (where drive goes just to the front wheels), AWD (on demand), Off Road (AWD), and Sport (full-time AWD with sharper changes to transmission shift points, steering feel and the optional Active Sport Suspension).

On tricky surfaces in the AWD modes, close to 100 percent of available torque can be sent to the wheel (or wheels) with the best traction. Front-drive versions of this little Caddy crossover SUV offer a 3-mode setup that includes a Sport setting.

The brakes bite early, but their action quickly becomes second nature. Steering response is rewarding (especially in Sport mode), and the vehicle’s weight has no problem keeping up with quick changes of direction. As a parking and U-turn bonus, the XT4 is capable of turning in a tidy 38-foot-diameter circle.

DRIVETRAIN SYNERGY

Sometimes, all the propulsion hardware comes together in a particularly pleasing way: the amount and delivery of power, the sweet transmission, and the all-wheel-drive system (when selected, which we recommend in this instance). The Cadillac XT4 is one of those times.

STRUCTURAL SYNERGY

And sometimes all the other major aspects harmonize as well. For example, the XT4’s excellent suspension (made possible in part by a super-rigid body structure) is confidence-inspiring on twisting roads, tranquil over fresh tarmac, and unfazed by rough surfaces.

Read more at link above...

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
But it doesn't have the prestige of the German brands...so they need to bring it. The XT4/5/6 don't, you want to see how to break into the market with good product, look at Genesis with the GV80 upcoming GV70, and Lincoln with the Aviator and Corsair...those products are how you gain credibility. TBH I stopped reading when the reviewer commented about how the turbo motor having plenty of punch...7.8s to 60 is plenty of punch now? Mediocre at best and not enough IMO. If it was enough we wouldn't be clamoring for a 2.7T that ain't gonna happen.

#9 ·
Still leaving money on the table by not offering a higher spec model. I get it, the new 9 spd can't handle the power, but that should have been designed in from the jump. And now with their focus on electrics, I don't see them making any significant changes to this car power wise.

#13 · (Edited)
a smooth-shifting 9-speed automatic transmission.
the sweet transmission
Sounds like GM fixed the shift quality issues for the 9-speed tranny when XT4 was first introduced for MY 2019. The 9Txx transmission in the 2019 XT4 I test drove was so uncouth in its behavior that my wife and I asked our salesman to head back to the dealership earlier than planned.

While the XT4's LSY 2.0T engine is still quite underwhelming (despite KBB's commentary) compared to 2.0 liter turbo gasoline engines from BMW, Daimler, VW, Honda, and FCA, I'm glad the GM addressed the transmission issues.

#14 ·
How did they address the transmission issues? Was it similar to the flush fix for the 8Ts?

#21 ·
It really is something the way the anti-GM and anti-Cadillac people always try to turn extremely favorable reviews and comparison victories into “see this is the proof that Cadillac is no good.”

It’s absolutely bizarre.

#24 · (Edited)
^^^Lets not get ahead of ourselves, we've had this talk before...a fully loaded XT4 Sport won a comparison against a base model GLC...that doesn't mean the XT4 is better than the GLC that just means that particular XT4 was better than that particular GLC.

Re bias...sure people are biased, hell I'm kinda biased about my shoes, I prefer Nikes but have a pair of adidas and a single pair of Fila's (Grant Hill 2s)...but for cars, they're a huge investment, I get what's best for me at that time for my money. I won't let some brand fanboyism drive me into a long term commitment especially if that particular brand I'm a fan of is clearly not the best.

#25 ·
^^^Lets not get ahead of ourselves, we've had this talk before...a fully loaded XT4 Sport won a comparison against a base model GLC...that doesn't mean the XT4 is better than the GLC that just means that particular XT4 was better than that particular GLC.
But that’s not how automobile segments work. Your entry level vehicle isn’t supposed to be as good as a fully loaded vehicle in the segment above. See, but you know that, because you are not an idiot. So, the reason you keep insisting that that is a reasonable comparison, is because you are being intentionally obtuse.

Yes, vehicles in above segments are better fully loaded than a vehicle from the lower segment fully loaded. There is not A SINGLE car or SUV that tops out at 56-60k that’s going to be as opulent as a vehicle costing more than 80k.

But you already know that, because you are not a raving idiot. You keep trying force that to be a legit comparison because you are being completely dishonest.

#43 ·
I try to look at something as a sum of its parts...so a 36k CT4 AWD w/ some black trim/MRC and a swapped out motor from a BASE Silverado and now is suddenly worth almost 20k more? IMO Nope

Re Cadillac's crossovers, IMO they're all aren't worth it. I had a friend stop by this weekend who just purchased a 2020 X5 MSport and that thing was amazing...nothing in Cadillac's lineup comes close. I remember a while back some guy said that the XT5 was more than comparable to the X5, but surely he had to be trolling because that X5 made my Buick look like a schoolbus in terms of overall presentation. and I hold my Buick in higher regard than those Caddy CUVs.

#44 ·
I try to look at something as a sum of its parts...so a 36k CT4 AWD w/ some black trim/MRC and a swapped out motor from a BASE Silverado and now is suddenly worth almost 20k more? IMO Nope
In fairness to CT4-V AWD, the starting price of that vehicle is actually $10k over a base CT4 Luxury 2.0T AWD ($46,590 for the former, $36,590 for the latter).

Still, I agree with you that the GM parts bin engine in the CT4-V is not appropriate for a Cadillac product, despite ample power and torque ratings. Also, specifying AWD sadly removes the amazing MRC 4.0 suspension from CT4-V. IMO, the best CT4-V configuration is a RWD version with few or no optional extras.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.