Cadillac XT4 Review | Kelly Blue Book

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac XT4 Review | Kelly Blue Book

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Robert1969's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 774 Posts

Cadillac XT4 Review | Kelly Blue Book

Cadillac XT4 Review
    Kelly Blue Book
    October 19, 2020
    By: Collin Ryan

The ride quality of the 2021 XT4 is really good for the class. The turbocharged engine’s maximum thrust chimes in from just above idle right up to 4,000 rpm, with plenty of punch remaining for another 1,000 rpm beyond that. Zipping away from standstill, darting through traffic, and overtaking are all made more enjoyable by the presence of a smooth-shifting 9-speed automatic transmission.

With the optional all-wheel-drive (AWD) system, the driver can toggle through four settings: Touring (where drive goes just to the front wheels), AWD (on demand), Off Road (AWD), and Sport (full-time AWD with sharper changes to transmission shift points, steering feel and the optional Active Sport Suspension).

On tricky surfaces in the AWD modes, close to 100 percent of available torque can be sent to the wheel (or wheels) with the best traction. Front-drive versions of this little Caddy crossover SUV offer a 3-mode setup that includes a Sport setting.

The brakes bite early, but their action quickly becomes second nature. Steering response is rewarding (especially in Sport mode), and the vehicle’s weight has no problem keeping up with quick changes of direction. As a parking and U-turn bonus, the XT4 is capable of turning in a tidy 38-foot-diameter circle.

DRIVETRAIN SYNERGY

Sometimes, all the propulsion hardware comes together in a particularly pleasing way: the amount and delivery of power, the sweet transmission, and the all-wheel-drive system (when selected, which we recommend in this instance). The Cadillac XT4 is one of those times.

STRUCTURAL SYNERGY

And sometimes all the other major aspects harmonize as well. For example, the XT4’s excellent suspension (made possible in part by a super-rigid body structure) is confidence-inspiring on twisting roads, tranquil over fresh tarmac, and unfazed by rough surfaces.

Read more at link above...
    Last edited by Robert1969; 10-22-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-23-2020),Cobaltss_King (10-23-2020),gkr778 (10-23-2020),jzchev28 (10-23-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Re: Cadillac XT4 Review | Kelly Blue Book

All it needs are the 2.7T and an interior that isn't mostly black.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ral1960 For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (10-23-2020)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    All it needs are the 2.7T and an interior that isn't mostly black.
    Yep! I like the xt4 but it needs a digital gauge cluster, and a better engine.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    “Cadillac crest doesn’t have the same prestige as German badges”

When a reviewer lists this as an actual flaw, they lack credibility. A car reviewer should never judge a car based on its badge. Base it off the product itself.
    Last edited by JTL2017; 10-22-2020 at 09:21 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JTL2017 For This Useful Post:

ksr (10-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JTL2017 View Post

When a reviewer lists this as an actual flaw, they lack credibility. A car reviewer should never judge a car based on its badge. Base it off the product itself.
    But it doesn't have the prestige of the German brands...so they need to bring it. The XT4/5/6 don't, you want to see how to break into the market with good product, look at Genesis with the GV80 upcoming GV70, and Lincoln with the Aviator and Corsair...those products are how you gain credibility. TBH I stopped reading when the reviewer commented about how the turbo motor having plenty of punch...7.8s to 60 is plenty of punch now? Mediocre at best and not enough IMO. If it was enough we wouldn't be clamoring for a 2.7T that ain't gonna happen.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 10-22-2020 at 11:40 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (10-23-2020),Mr.Buttons (10-23-2020)

Thanks

The flip side of this is that they are demonstrating how little there is to criticize the XT4. So, in that regard it is actually a compliment.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-23-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    But it doesn't have the prestige of the German brands...so they need to bring it. The XT4/5/6 don't, you want to see how to break into the market with good product, look at Genesis with the GV80 upcoming GV70, and Lincoln with the Aviator and Corsair...those products are how you gain credibility. TBH I stopped reading when the reviewer commented about how the turbo motor having plenty of punch...7.8s to 60 is plenty of punch now? Mediocre at best and not enough IMO. If it was enough we wouldn't be clamoring for a 2.7T that ain't gonna happen.
    The review is very clear. KBB thinks Cadillac brought it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-23-2020),dannyg (10-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,174 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

I take that as a compliment, they are basically saying it is a really good vehicle - if Cadillac keeps building desirable vehicles the public perception will eventually change. People will someday stop joking that I have an old mans car.

They do need to drop the 2.7 in for those that want more power. But, I rate the XT4 for what it is - for people that don't have a need for drag racing (which is most) this is an excellent vehicle. By not having more power doesn't make this vehicle bad, it just means there is room for growth to attract that other 10% who do want that power.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Robert1969 (10-23-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

Still leaving money on the table by not offering a higher spec model. I get it, the new 9 spd can't handle the power, but that should have been designed in from the jump. And now with their focus on electrics, I don't see them making any significant changes to this car power wise.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 91fairladyZ For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (10-23-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Virtually every first drive review said that the engine felt very punchy. Both Car and Driver and Motor Trend made similar remarks.

Sometimes vehicles can feel faster and punchier than they actually are.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    Virtually every first drive review said that the engine felt very punchy. Both Car and Driver and Motor Trend made similar remarks.

Sure it'll feel punchy in isolation, the CX-5 I drove a few weeks ago felt punchy at the time, but get out of that and drive anything else and well...it'll feel as mediocre as it actually is. That is why I don't put much weight in an individual car reviews, comparisons are where cars earn their stripes. How does the XT4 stack up against the Corsair, GLB, GLA, X1, Q3, NX, UX, XC40, etc is the question that you won't like the answer to.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 10-23-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (10-23-2020),Mr.Buttons (10-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,174 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

it is a peppy engine/transmission combo. If I was smart I'd have gotten the 2.3 vs. the V in the CT4.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,596 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

a smooth-shifting 9-speed automatic transmission.
    the sweet transmission
    Sounds like GM fixed the shift quality issues for the 9-speed tranny when XT4 was first introduced for MY 2019. The 9Txx transmission in the 2019 XT4 I test drove was so uncouth in its behavior that my wife and I asked our salesman to head back to the dealership earlier than planned.

While the XT4's LSY 2.0T engine is still quite underwhelming (despite KBB's commentary) compared to 2.0 liter turbo gasoline engines from BMW, Daimler, VW, Honda, and FCA, I'm glad the GM addressed the transmission issues.
    Last edited by gkr778; 10-23-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 539 Posts
    My Ride
    16 ATS 3.6 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Sounds like GM fixed the shift quality issues for the 9-speed tranny when XT4 was first introduced for MY 2019. The 9Txx transmission in the 2019 XT4 I test drove was so uncouth in its behavior that my wife and I asked our salesman to head back to the dealership earlier than planned.

While the XT4's LSY 2.0T engine is still quite underwhelming (despite KBB's commentary) compared to 2.0 liter turbo gasoline engines from BMW, Daimler, VW, Honda, and FCA, I'm glad the GM addressed the transmission issues.
    How did they address the transmission issues? Was it similar to the flush fix for the 8Ts?
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2009 G6 GXP (Love/Hate/RIP), 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post

Well, in Car and Driver’s first drive review, they also commented on the smoothness of engine-transmission combo. KBB and C&D were not alone in that. So, the question I would have here is did C&D and KBB and the others get lucky and beat the odds? Or did you and your wife got unlucky and beat the odds?

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information