"Cadillacís latest harebrained scheme" - A Road & Track Editorial

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cadillacís latest harebrained scheme" - A Road & Track Editorial

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,150 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

"Cadillacís latest harebrained scheme" - A Road & Track Editorial

Road & Track magazine
    June, 2020

Editorial by Jason Cammisa, Road & Track magazine, June 2020, page 18.

Photo Credit: General Motors Corporation

FORTY YEARS AGO CADILLAC LEARNED THE HARD WAY THAT IT SHOULD NEVER PLACE ITS BADGE ON SOMETHING THAT HADNíT EARNED IT.

Does your garage door have a badge on it? No. Everyone knows itís a garage door. And nobody cares how wide it is, how quickly it opens, or which kind of helper spring it uses. Yet car companies slap badges all over their products in an attempt to broadcast different facts about them to the public, which probably doesnít care. Forty years ago Cadillac learned the hard way that it should never place its badge on something that hadnít earned it. The Cimarron was a rebadged Chevrolet Cavalier, a substandard economy car that now makes regular appearances on listicles of the worst cars of all time. Badge engineering an expensive ďluxuryĒ version without any actual engineeringóor additional contentó was a blatant insult to Cadillacís own customers, a ploy so disingenuous that it almost killed the whole brand. Luckily, Cadillac hasnít done anything so egregious since. But it did recently begin applying questionable badges to its otherwise fine products. I recently drove an XT6 with a ď400Ē badge. Upon seeing it, I thought perhaps Iíd missed the memo that Cadillac had installed a 400-hp version of the ATS-Vís twin-turbo V-6 in the new SUV. Silly me felt like stupid me when I matted the throttle and pulled out in front of traffic expecting violent rollercoaster fury and received tepid merry-go-round g-forces in response.

Iíd forgotten about Cadillacís latest harebrained scheme to deceive its customers: using a badge that looks like a horsepower rating, but is, in fact, not. The number isnít pure fiction: it touts the engineís torque rating, except that itís expressed in newton meters and rounded (upward) to an even multiple of 50. The XT6ís naturally aspirated 3.6-liter V-6 produces, at its peak, 271 lb-ft of torque. This converts to 373 Nm, which Cadillac then presents as an even 400. Using engine output to differentiate models is actually a great idea. Itís far better than engine displacement, for example. That method worked perfectly well for decades, with the Germans in particular implementing badging schemes that were easy to decode and, for a while there, accurate.

Audi chose eight arbitrary categories from 30 to 70. If you see a ď55Ē badge on the back of one of its vehicles, youíll need to consult your spreadsheet to discover its total output is between 328 and 368 hp. This is akin to measuring the flour in a cookie recipe using a size 11 sock. Thankfully, Audi of America decided not to apply these extraneous and confusing badges to cars sold here. Too bad Cadillac didnít make the same decision, because using torque is even worse. Torque is a metric thatís barely understood by most enthusiasts, much less the typical kid-hauler XT6 customer. But browsing through all the output specs for the V-6, youíll see power ratings of 229 kW or 310 hp and torque output of 271 lb-ft or 373 Nm. Of all four, the metric torque output is the highest number. To a simple-minded marketing person with no understanding of anything, the bigger the number the betteróand one suspects thatís why Cadillac chose to use newton meters. Itís the same flawed logic that led Cadillac to offer a high-priced Cavalier. And unfortunately, itís just as easy to understand how annoyed customers feel when theyíve been deceived by something as simple as a badge. Especially one we didnít need in the first place.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,150 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: "Cadillacís latest harebrained scheme" - A Road & Track Editorial

it touts the engine’s torque rating, except that it’s expressed in newton meters and rounded (upward) to an even multiple of 50
    True, but that "800 T" in the photo above really looks great...even though only about one out of a million people will know what it stands for.

It's just another form of marketing...let's hope it works!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

Al465 (05-19-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Did he also rant about putting a V on a V-Sport car?
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,627 Times in 3,686 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I stopped reading at the Cimmaron

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Citation84 (05-23-2020),Dovetonsils (05-19-2020),Evo69 (05-19-2020),glssmann1 (05-19-2020),rockyspaw (05-19-2020),Scrambler (05-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 645 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Please don't let this guy test drive a BMW 330i. He'll think it has 330hp and be disappointed.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,314 Times in 4,560 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Link doesn't work.....

But, not an original thought in what is posted , it is nothing but a rehash of other peoples thoughts. Next he'll regurgitate the "Cadillac trying to be German" gibberish and attack CUE even though it's almost out of production (and even though it works fine)…

I wonder what CUE 2.0 would've been like if Cadillac showed the press how to use CUE and had faster chips. I like the new CT4's interior, but really like the buttonless, haptic feedback on my ATS.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,482 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I wonder what CUE 2.0 would've been like if Cadillac showed the press how to use CUE and had faster chips.
    CUE 2.0 would still be a huge improvement. Even if it did incorporate faster hardware, the first version of CUE was riddled with enough UI and design issues to justify its inclusion on any list of unforgivable automotive sins.

Cadillac actually did show the press - as well as dealerships and consumers - how to use CUE. They even provided a free iPad containing a CUE tutorial to customers during the first year. It managed to demonstrate what an abomination the initial CUE was.

GM certainly learned from that debacle. The current gen Android Automotive based Infotainment 3 system is among the best in the business. And regarding Cadillac specifically, I appreciate the redundant knobs and buttons used for the infotainment system in MY 2019 and 2020 Cadillacs.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-20-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC cadsrbest's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Yamaha Zuma Scooter

My take is that the author does not understand, that as electric cars become more mainstream, this will be the way to discern the relative performance (output) of each model. GM is helping to ease us into electric vehicle culture.
    Hidden Content Cadillac Style . . . America's Best! Hidden Content

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cadsrbest For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (05-21-2020),richmond2000 (05-20-2020),sledgehammer777 (05-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,314 Times in 4,560 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    CUE 2.0 would still be a huge improvement. Even if it did incorporate faster hardware, the first version of CUE was riddled with enough UI and design issues to justify its inclusion on any list of unforgivable automotive sins.

Cadillac actually did show the press - as well as dealerships and consumers - how to use CUE. They even provided a free iPad containing a CUE tutorial to customers during the first year. It managed to demonstrate what an abomination the initial CUE was.

GM certainly learned from that debacle. The current gen Android Automotive based Infotainment 3 system is among the best in the business. And regarding Cadillac specifically, I appreciate the redundant knobs and buttons used for the infotainment system in MY 2019 and 2020 Cadillacs.
    I have that very iPad, sadly, I just cracked the screen. I hope I can get it fixed once the repair stores open up - not sure if there are still parts/glass for such an old iPad.

I'll go out on a limb and say most didn't look at the tutorials. I'll have to look at the tutorials again, but I'm not sure if they were 100% clear on using the pad of your fingertip vs. stabbing and where to touch CUE.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I stopped reading at the Cimmaron
    Amazing that this guy's memory is impeccable remembering a nearly 40 year old car, but he was totally lost on the new badging system introduced this year.
    Barry
    '04 Nocturne Blue Saab 9-3 2.0T, 1997 Catera (11/96 - 6/13)
    '13 Black Diamond / Black Regal T

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dovetonsils For This Useful Post:

09W (05-19-2020),criticalmass (05-28-2020),KingElv!s (05-26-2020),mbukukanyau (05-19-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I'm sure the badging is numerical gibberish to suggest a hierarchy, similar to the European automakers. They probably only have a passing interest in people understanding what it means. All they want is for people to see 800>>>>400. More importantly, it means Caddy wants you thinking more about performance.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    True, but that "800 T" in the photo above really looks great...even though only about one out of a million people will know what it stands for.

It's just another form of marketing...let's hope it works!

I thought it said "BOOT" at first...then I thought "Oh that must be the Euro export version,cause over there the Euros call the trunk the BOOT!,finally I remembered....Fig Newtons
    Last edited by Mr.Buttons; 05-19-2020 at 01:53 PM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (05-20-2020),IROCNROL1 (05-19-2020),JimmyDiablo (05-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    I thought it said "BOOT" at first...Then I remembered....Fig Newtons
    Can't unsee!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (05-23-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 742 Posts

So .... does an F-150 haul up to 150 figs?
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 659 Posts

Does this Road and Track writer do like the most basic research about the products he is discussing like reading Cadillacs own press releases? Because it’s not an attempt to make you think the XT6 has 400 horsepower. It’s factual representation of the torque the vehicle has in newton meters.

Does he think the Mercedes E 350 has 350 horsepower?
    Last edited by Robert1969; 05-19-2020 at 03:05 PM.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information