Cadillac Reveals 2020 CT5 - Page 26

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Reveals 2020 CT5

Thanks
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,068 Posts

Re: Cadillac Reveals 2020 CT5

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    I really like the current CTS, but I think the gen 2 version had a more dynamic design that had a tautness and tension to the look that the Gen 3 couldn't quite capture. Gen 3 is a more sophisticated piece of styling but isn't as dramatic as Gen 2. The CT5 seems to be closer to the spirit of Gen 2. Now if they get the interior right, we'll be off to the races!
    What's dynamic about using a ruler to draw a car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Comparison time! The all-new CT5 v. my CTS.

And before we start, yes the car needs to be washed, I'm aware. And the parking job is why you don't let anyone else drive your car, even if you're dating them.

Anyways:

Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-21-2019),DequindreToo (03-21-2019),SP1966 (03-21-2019),The Handler (03-21-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

So speaking as a CTS owner, I do not like the design of this car. It just looks amateur and generic. A Cadillac sedan should have a powerful DLO and stately appearance, i.e. CT6 and CTS. To me, this car, especially with that C-pillar, just does not look the part of a D-segment luxury sedan. Front end reminds me too much of a Cruze, but the rear end is very well done. It looks great from the back. Interior, from what we can see, looks nice, but the devil is in the details. Too early to make a judgement there.

But given the choice between the two? I'll stick with my CTS.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

C-pillar looks dated on black CTS :|

8. The Following User Says Thank You to samesun For This Useful Post:

megeebee (03-21-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by samesun View Post
    C-pillar looks dated on black CTS :|
    Keep in mind one is a heavily edited press photo, while one is something I literally ran outside to take a picture of in my shorts.

Here is something that will level the field a bit:

In my view, the CTS is the superior design, by a wide margin. It looks upscale and expensive, all without the cartoonish C-pillar theatrics of its replacement.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-23-2019),SP1966 (03-21-2019),steve333 (03-22-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member mkwelbornjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 VW GTI

It better have auto start stop deactivate. The most annoying car feature second to radios/climate control with no knobs or buttons.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkwelbornjr For This Useful Post:

jesda1 (03-21-2019),steve333 (03-22-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Chill. After 20+ pages of this C-pillar nonsense, I was just being tongue in cheek.

I actually do like the CTS green house. However, CTS’s plump rump and trunk is completely anonymous and doesn’t exude luxury. And as someone else pointed out, it’s wheel wells make the car look awkward. CT5 is much more interesting. IMO of course.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Comparison time! The all-new CT5 v. my CTS.

And before we start, yes the car needs to be washed, I'm aware. And the parking job is why you don't let anyone else drive your car, even if you're dating them.

Anyways:

As much as I wanna like the new CT5, I'm liking yours a lot more. That's a beauty even if dirty.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (03-21-2019),SP1966 (03-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,748 Times in 3,905 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by yello430 View Post
    Bob Lutz didn't like the Grand Am name. Said it was the 'old' Pontiac.
    Well, turn around "Am" and you have "Ma", "Grand Ma".

I liked the last gen G6, just couldn't get the right engines in the configurations I wanted. I would have gone for the G6 GXP, but the grill and wing were too much for me, and you couldn't get that engine in any other iteration, and I wasn't going for the 3.4L from China....

Banned
    Thanks

Envoy.. I too have a CTS.. and to be honest I like the changes they have made to the Cadillac. They did a great job.. and I think people are gauging a great deal of this wrong. THIS IS NOT A DIRECT REPLACEMENT for the 3rd Gen CTS. The 3rd Gen CTS was a replacement for the STS. I think Cadillac effectively gave us a replacement for the 2nd Gen CTS.. hence the reason why its being called a Tweener, like the CT6, straddling the fence, possibly re-inventing the segment the way Cadillac wishes to present itself. Size, same, priced lower in the beginning, but then equaling out as options or packages are added. I almost wish they aould keeping making the CTS along with the CT5.. but WOW if the CT5 looks anything like the '19 CT6 with the Escala looks then styling then.. a lot of people are going to be surprised

Anyhooo.. U're comparing a real pic to a air-brushed one.. I have a feeling that's gonna come back to haunt a bunch of U.

I say that stepping out of this...

Last edited by DaBangBang; 03-21-2019 at 07:39 PM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaBangBang For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (03-21-2019),Dheart (03-21-2019),Evo69 (03-23-2019),megeebee (03-21-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,250 Times in 2,445 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I need to see the CT5 but there are aspects I like about the CTS and CT5. I do like the fastback CT5 look better but the front 1/4 shot makes the CTS look better.

All in all, they're both damn good.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

Dheart (03-21-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Thanks for the overlays, Envoy.

It doesn't look like the roofline changed much at all, just the rear door opening and windows. They should have just flattened the beltline for larger side windows and left the sail panel pretty much as is, but I think people complained about the door shape hurting access to the rear seat.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy Trail Blazer

Quote Originally Posted by DaBangBang View Post
    Went to prom in one. An 84, off-white with a blue carriage top. My parents'. Everyone thought I was the richest sob in school when I drove that. Definitely not, but the car was absolutely money
    Now that have to been cool, despite the critics of the design. That generation of Seville was something special to see driving around. My uncle had one he brought brand-new in 1983, it was the first Cadillac I ever rode in as a kid. His was a two tone tan and brown metallic one. It was his second Cadillac Seville, he had own a all red 1976 or 1977 Seville. Pretty much I had grown up around Cadillacs, most of my great uncles had Cadillacs. My Dad best friend always had a brand-new Cadillac, he trade then in after 3 years for newest improve model. So maybe I am little bias in my support for the brand, but I always shook my head when I see them take what I think is a step backwards or try copy the Germans too closely. I was never a fan of the 1st Gen CTS, prefer the 2nd Gen and 3rd gen over design and style. Was not impress with the XLR design when it first came out, but I end up liking the design more as years went by. The rear wheel drive STS of the early 2000s design didn't impress me at first either, now it funny it became the first Cadillac I ever drove. I was impress with how good it drive and handle, how responsive that gen 1 3.6 V6 was. To me that car was not as bad as it was made out to be, yeah I wish more effort was put in the interior design. But it seem pretty solid car to me. I say this Cadillac need to look back at what made it great and The Standard of the World even when it had Duesenberg's and Roll Royce Phantoms and Sliver Wraiths completing with them. They have to keep building up quality to be good enough for the price or better and have the comfort and tech features in reasonable packages. Make folks second guess the idea of over spending on a base or midlevel BMW 3, 5, 7 series or Mercedes C, E class. That's the ticket to Cadillac success, they need to go back to the value and quality strategy that work for them from 1949 to 1980. Combine that with driver performance car strategy they using now and boom they got the perfect strategy. They could tweak there styling but then style is subjective, every body dont like the same thing and Cadillac should always stay unique and even have controversial designs. It wouldn't be Cadillac without them. The new CT5 will have it fans, critics and distracters just like the 2nd gen Seville did.
    Last edited by Dheart; 03-21-2019 at 09:04 PM.

SKH
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,715 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    Thanks for the overlays, Envoy.

It doesn't look like the roofline changed much at all, just the rear door opening and windows. They should have just flattened the beltline for larger side windows and left the sail panel pretty much as is, but I think people complained about the door shape hurting access to the rear seat.
    And likely a lot complaint of people wracking their heads getting in. The CT5 looks like you’d be less likely to suffer a cranial catastrophe when entering the rear in a hurry.

Looking at all of these CTS/CT5 comparisons, it looks like the center of the car including wheelbase is dimensionally identical. The front and rear overhangs is where it gets fuzzy. In the CT5 profile pictures the front overhang looks to be less than on CTS. It could be that the CT5 was at a slight angle relative to the photographer, and it just created the illusion that there is less overhang.

The rear looks a couple of inches shorter as well, but again was the photographer completely perpendicular to the side the car, or at a slight angle? I wish Cadillac would at least release a few technical details, but they’ll probably keep us guessing until April 16th.

SKH
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,715 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

I really think that when CT5 it is fully revealed, it’s going to surprise a lot people:

“Boring sedans are dead. I think awesome sedans are going to be around for a while”

Andrew Smith, Cadillac executive director of global design.

Mr Smith also confirmed that Cadillac will try to offer customers “Driver’s car” as an alternative to the booming SUV and Crossover segments.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...confirmed/amp/
    Last edited by SKH; 03-21-2019 at 09:54 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

Dheart (03-21-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread Information