Cadillac Reveals 2020 CT5 - Page 25

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Reveals 2020 CT5

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,720 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Re: Cadillac Reveals 2020 CT5

Quote Originally Posted by DaBangBang View Post
    Looks gloss to me. That's the sport.. Get the premium lux with chrome.. Problem solved. U want tacky??? Ugly??? Stick with Mercedes. They have U covered

The way the designers took the effort to make the fixed door glass go all the way to the edge of the door to eliminate another molding where it meets the C Pillar, is a nice touch. It looks great in that picture.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeauty7 View Post
    This car is the equivalent of the last gen GTO Pontiac launched which initiated the beginning of the end for Pontiac. A shame that GM squandered such proud name plates like Pontiac and now Cadillac. RIP.

Hey, Chicken Little, come back in 25 days when full details of CT5 are revealed and we'll see if your opinion changes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-21-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,480 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

This car is the equivalent of the last gen GTO Pontiac launched which initiated the beginning of the end for Pontiac. A shame that GM squandered such proud name plates like Pontiac and now Cadillac. RIP.
    Uhh. No. Pretty sure that was the G6 GTP.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,302 Posts

Overreact much?

Considering the current status of sedan sales at Cadillac (and others), maybe nothing can save the sedan market. But this really can't hurt. Frankly sedan sales can't get much lower and even if this car was really bad (which it doesn't appear to be) the worst it will likely do is match CTS sales. That isn't saying much, but CTS sales are probably at a floor now selling to the loyalists and sedan diehards. Hopefully his will look great when the introduction actually happens and will drag some people back from CUV hell.

You can point to a lot of things as "the beginning of the end" for Pontiac. Personally I'd say that the very beginning was when they stopped making their own V-8s in 1982. Dropping the Firebird in 2002 rather than launching a more modern version of it was the point of no return IMO. The soul of the brand was gone right there. There were other stupid mistakes to be sure. I think one of those was dropping the name "Grand Am," which was always a solid seller and replacing that with "G6". The G6 wasn't a great car and got overhyped when launched with that giveaway on the Oprah show. i think that built up expectations that the car couldn't hit. But it really wasn't a bad car either and got way more criticism that it deserved, It had a nice coupe and convertible too, all of which should have been called "Grand Am."
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-21-2019),DaBangBang (03-21-2019),dslay04 (03-21-2019),ryannel2003 (03-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,933 Posts

Huh?

What ARE you talking about?
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-21-2019),DaBangBang (03-21-2019),dslay04 (03-21-2019)

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,555 Times in 1,357 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    More like the G3. That thing was an embarrassment.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-21-2019),dslay04 (03-21-2019),rockyspaw (03-21-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,480 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Oh crap. I legit forgot about that thing.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Tupperware cladding spelled the end for Pontiac. And the Aztec.

By the time the late 2000's hit, the damage was done and even the awesome Aussie-built G8 couldn't save it. As another poster mentioned, the G3 certainly didn't help, and hell, the re-badged Nox (Torrent) didn't add the "Excitement" brand. Pontiac became nothing but Rental fodder, what Chevy is supposed to cater to.

RIP Pontiac.

...Sorry to drift OT.
    Last edited by Let Them Fail; 03-21-2019 at 11:50 AM.

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Oh yikes. Wasn't a G3 the very last "Pontiac" off the line too? What an embarrassment.

If it really was the Obama administration that demanded it, then there's no fire in hell hot enough for them.

Even though there were numerous mistakes made, it could been saved. Even at the very end, there were good and unique vehicles like the G8 and Solstice, and the G6 coupe and convertible were also only at Pontiac. I liked the G6 coupe until they stuck that ugly spoiler on the back and made other "performance" tweaks - wasn't that part of the GXP package?

One car can revive a brand. I know most people don't agree, but the 5th generation Camaro shouldn't have been a Camaro. It should have been a Firebird. People, including those at GM, referred to Pontiac as their "performance brand," yet Chevy got the Camaro and already had the Corvette. At the very least, there should have been a Firebird in addition to the Camaro.

Sorry, way off thread topic.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by DaBangBang View Post
    Looks gloss to me. That's the sport.. Get the premium lux with chrome.. Problem solved. U want tacky??? Ugly??? Stick with Mercedes. They have U covered
    Looking at that picture again, and noticing that the molding is much blacker than the faux window, make me think that it is black glass and not paint, otherwise it would match that molding. Hopefully that is the case.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSA View Post
    How the hell do you work 3 jobs? I can barely stay awake at my one job! And lets be honest, you want someone to ride down hard on you, real hard!
    Data Security by day for the Chicago Public school district, Chef/Cater nights and I work Sundays at a clothing store.

Oh and I spit out my juice at that last comment of yours! LMAO!
    RedSkyBlackDreamô

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSkyBlackDream For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-21-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member yello430's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Overreact much?

Considering the current status of sedan sales at Cadillac (and others), maybe nothing can save the sedan market. But this really can't hurt. Frankly sedan sales can't get much lower and even if this car was really bad (which it doesn't appear to be) the worst it will likely do is match CTS sales. That isn't saying much, but CTS sales are probably at a floor now selling to the loyalists and sedan diehards. Hopefully his will look great when the introduction actually happens and will drag some people back from CUV hell.

You can point to a lot of things as "the beginning of the end" for Pontiac. Personally I'd say that the very beginning was when they stopped making their own V-8s in 1982. Dropping the Firebird in 2002 rather than launching a more modern version of it was the point of no return IMO. The soul of the brand was gone right there. There were other stupid mistakes to be sure. I think one of those was dropping the name "Grand Am," which was always a solid seller and replacing that with "G6". The G6 wasn't a great car and got overhyped when launched with that giveaway on the Oprah show. i think that built up expectations that the car couldn't hit. But it really wasn't a bad car either and got way more criticism that it deserved, It had a nice coupe and convertible too, all of which should have been called "Grand Am."
    Bob Lutz didn't like the Grand Am name. Said it was the 'old' Pontiac.
    Hidden Content

twitter: forzablitz

20. The Following User Says Thank You to yello430 For This Useful Post:

Syclone478 (03-28-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Overreact much?

Oh yikes. Wasn't a G3 the very last "Pontiac" off the line too? What an embarrassment.

If it really was the Obama administration that demanded it, then there's no fire in hell hot enough for them.

Even though there were numerous mistakes made, it could been saved. Even at the very end, there were good and unique vehicles like the G8 and Solstice, and the G6 coupe and convertible were also only at Pontiac. I liked the G6 coupe until they stuck that ugly spoiler on the back and made other "performance" tweaks - wasn't that part of the GXP package?

One car can revive a brand. I know most people don't agree, but the 5th generation Camaro shouldn't have been a Camaro. It should have been a Firebird. People, including those at GM, referred to Pontiac as their "performance brand," yet Chevy got the Camaro and already had the Corvette. At the very least, there should have been a Firebird in addition to the Camaro.

Sorry, way off thread topic.
    You can all GTH!

I love my G6 GXP coupe! Replaced my Grand Am GT1 coupe, which I also loved, except wished it had a little more power, which the GXP does - by about 80HP. I specifically looked for a GXP without that horrible whale-tail!

Funny thing is, when the G6 first came out, I wasn't crazy about their interior - seemed a little cheap/vinyl-covered cardboard to me - and the center stack was GM parts bin. After owning it for over 4 years, I hardly notice those nitpicks. The only thing I wish it had was Bluetooth, which was added to the 2009 1/2. Shortly before the last Pontiac - a G6 model was built.

I must say that my expectations for the G6 were not the same as what I had for the CTS coupe, but I also didn't want to spend an extra $6-7k for a daily driver/work car.
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yello430 View Post
    Bob Lutz didn't like the Grand Am name. Said it was the 'old' Pontiac.
    Grand Ams weren't always great cars to be sure. But they were decent for an entry-level buyer who wanted a little more than a Sunfire/Sunbird. I think Lutz was wrong. There was a lot of equity in that name.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (03-23-2019),Syclone478 (03-28-2019),yello430 (03-21-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockyspaw View Post
    You can all GTH!

I love my G6 GXP coupe! Replaced my Grand Am GT1 coupe, which I also loved, except wished it had a little more power, which the GXP does - by about 80HP. I specifically looked for a GXP without that horrible whale-tail!

Funny thing is, when the G6 first came out, I wasn't crazy about their interior - seemed a little cheap/vinyl-covered cardboard to me - and the center stack was GM parts bin. After owning it for over 4 years, I hardly notice those nitpicks. The only thing I wish it had was Bluetooth, which was added to the 2009 1/2. Shortly before the last Pontiac - a G6 model was built.

I must say that my expectations for the G6 were not the same as what I had for the CTS coupe, but I also didn't want to spend an extra $6-7k for a daily driver/work car.
    I wasn't a big fan of the front-end changes on the later G6 either, but really my only real issue with the car was that awful spoiler. Two of my nephews made the G6 coupe their first car out of college. They really liked them. Times have changed, but I think GM as a whole lacks this sort of car to appeal to the young buyer.

The interiors of their G6 coupes and of the G6 sedan that one of my sisters had weren't 10% as bad as the critics made them out to be.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

rockyspaw (03-21-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread Information