Cadillac To Reveal Three New Products Next Year - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac To Reveal Three New Products Next Year

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,830 Times in 1,305 Posts

Re: Cadillac To Reveal Three New Products Next Year

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    GM does not have an appropriate diesel currently for the ATS unless they can engineer the 2.0 TTiD engine that was available in the Saab 95 for longitudinal placement post haste. The ELR coupe eliminates the need for a diesel variant, and would continue the success of the Opel Ampera.
    I don't understand your reasoning.

How does an ELR replace a diesel?

Why does an ATS coupe need a diesel if the sedan doesn't have one?
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a feeling that next year we will see 1-2 Cadillac "concepts", one of which I hope is a production Ciel, or at least Ciel-inspired.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 870 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

In the US due to the dearth of RS variants S model cars are typically considered cars in the vein of M, and AMG which are considered performance variants of normal production cars.
    This. The US does not regularly get all of the S + RS models. For instance there is no current S6 or S8, they are coming though. The only model the US regularly gets every generation of is the S4.

BTW they just stopped offering the V8 for the SC-v6, and you will find most of the manufacturers will follow suit as they get closer to the CAFE deadlines. V8 will still be offered in the performance versions for the forseable future, although now force fed.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    I don't understand your reasoning.

How does an ELR replace a diesel?

Why does an ATS coupe need a diesel if the sedan doesn't have one?
    I mistakenly thought you were talking about the ATS being launched in the European market.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

This line has me very excited... Not so much because of the Escalade itself, but what it may mean for GM's trucks in general. 6.2???

Details regarding the 2014 Escalade have been minimal, though GMI has been told to expect a lighter Escalade with more power.
    Hidden Content
    Current Vehicles: 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix SE, 2011 Suburban K2500 LT (pulling a 2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 31BHDS), 2007 Yukon Denali, 2016 Impala LTZ Midnight Edition

Past Vehicles: 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab; 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G (sold because the wife wanted something with 3rd row seating and I wanted a G8 GT or Camaro SS...so the compromise was a vehicle with 3rd row but with a 6.2L V8, ie, the Denali).

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AMcA View Post
    Of course they'll launch without suitable engine options! This is General Motors, and they weren't able to sell off the introduce-'em-half-baked department during bankruptcy. Besides, tradition's gotta count for something.
    In general, launching the new car with old engines is not a bad idea. Helps improve quality and makes of a significant boost to 2nd year sales. BMW does this quite well. The problem in this case is that the CTS is being re-positioned upwards and keeping the current engines is sub-optimal. Oh well, hopefully the (T)T-v6 will show up soon. And, yes, updated transmission is much more important than a new engine for the CTS.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    This line has me very excited... Not so much because of the Escalade itself, but what it may mean for GM's trucks in general. 6.2???
    The GL outsold the Escalade last year for the first time, and a new Escalade can not come soon enough. It is sad to me that GM and Ford allowed MB to muscle in on a segment that Lincoln , and Cadillac once owned. The Escalade will need to be exemplary because the competition in this segment just increased almost exponentially. The GL450 now is incredibly fleet of foot, and the GL550 with a 5.1 second 0-60 run is what would be considered swift in this segment. The next Range Rover will be 700 lbs lighter, and also offer performance that will easily shade the current Escalade as well.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 734 Posts
    My Ride
    Terrain Denali 2016, Black

Quote Originally Posted by VetteZ06 View Post
    So does this mean the CTS will not have all of its engine options at launch?
    GM seldom if ever has all engine options at launch and they always have their lame excuses already written for the PR release. I seldom dump on GM but this is a MAJOR failing.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jbartley's Avatar
    Thanks

I would guess reveal schedule as Detroit production ELR, New York production CTS, and Los Angeles 2013 as the Escalade reveal? Putting their reveal about 6 months prior to selling.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,720 Times in 5,624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Brutal but I understand it a little.

ATS needs a coupe next year. By taking two years it shows that the MCE won't happen until 2017 likely.
    ATS variants in 2015MY makes sense. Gives the 2014MY a whole year for the ATS. Same with the CTS for 2015MY.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Two things...

(1) The 3rd Gen CTS will not hit the market in 2013. If it is to do so, we'll already have uncloaked cars shown in the first half of this year. As a general rule, manufacturers also do not like to launch two core products in the same year; launches are usually staggered. You won't see the 3-series and the 5-series revamped in the same year for instance. Doing so dilutes marketing resources and market attention between the two. So you usually do not do it the same year. All indications point to a CTS renewal in 2014 as a 2015 model.

(2) If it's me, I'll forget the ELR as a Volt based Hybrid. The Volt isn't selling worth a damn. The body style is very attractive and I'll use it for the ATS coupe. As far as Hybrids go, a better investment will be an electrified rear differential probably on the order of 30hp and a 0.8kWh battery pack behind the rear seat backs. This will achieve better mileage improvement than eAssist -- it'll be 150% the motor power and electric storage. This is more than enough to fully capture regenerative energy and effectively reuse it in assist. It is also small and light enough not to seriously affect the mas of the vehicle. Most importantly though, such a setup can be used on just about every Alpha platform car with just about any of the existing engines. For the ELR, a 2.0 liter turbo re-tuned with a Miller cycle camshaft and providing about 200 hp will provide both very good (for a hybrid) overall performance and better economy than can be achieved with either the 2.5 or 2.4 NA engines. Alternatively, as a more performance biased Hybrid and it can use the 270hp 2.0T with the 30hp differential-generator-motor providing enough power to offset the ~200 lbs of extra weight. This will deliver uncompromising performance with enhanced economy. This is something the market sorely lacks.
    Last edited by dwightlooi; 08-17-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,720 Times in 5,624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfdenny View Post
    I saw the Converj Concept at the San Francisco auto show - it is amazingly beautiful, even better than in photograhs.
    I'd hope so. It looks like crap to me..

The CTS engine lineup already has me in nervous sweats, and moving forward Cadillac can ill afford to not compete directly with the Germans. I know Audi, and Lexus no longer offer a V8 in this class but the class leaders ( E Class, 5 series ) do offer a V8 engine. I feel that this car would benefit from having a V8 engine below the V series variant, and it would keep the car in Cadillac tradition as well as directly competitive with the E and 5.
    Was Cadillac tradition to offer a mid-sizer that laps the Nürburgring in record times? I get where you're going with the V8, but you can't use Cadillac tradition to justify it. I also believe the E and 5 are supposedly dropping their 8's, too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I have a feeling that next year we will see 1-2 Cadillac "concepts", one of which I hope is a production Ciel, or at least Ciel-inspired.
    Twooo more concepts. The Drive and Arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by jbartley View Post
    I would guess reveal schedule as Detroit production ELR, New York production CTS, and Los Angeles 2013 as the Escalade reveal? Putting their reveal about 6 months prior to selling.
    I'd agree, but they never debut anything at NY...

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

What happened to Cadillac's 2.9 diesel?
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

1992 Supra Turbo (Modified)
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS (Trifecta Tune Coming Soon)
    Past Rides:
    Nissan Murano SLE AWD
    Chrysler Conquest TSI (Modified)
    Toyota Celica ST
    '77 COTY Chevrolet Caprice Classic w/F41 option

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 734 Posts
    My Ride
    Terrain Denali 2016, Black

[QUOTE=dwightlooi;2564859]
    (2) The Volt isn't selling worth a damn. /QUOTE]

Getting your sales updates from Fox News?
    Compared to all other electrics out there it is kicking ass..more than 4 times Leaf sales and more than all other "main stream" electrics out there combined. But vs. Camry, you're right.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

I'd guess reveals go as follows:

NAIAS: 2014 CTS

CAS: 2014 Escalade

NYIAS: 2014 ELR
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information