Cadillac to Retain Manual Transmissions for V-Series - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac to Retain Manual Transmissions for V-Series

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,018 Times in 3,212 Posts

Re: Cadillac to Retain Manual Transmissions for V-Series

A ray of sunshine.......
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

I would much rather see the actual Blackwing V8 in the Blackwing cars being that I live in the third largest city in the USA (behind NYC and LA) and traffic can be a b*tch at times here in Chicago but I'm all for this news!!! Although the take-rate for manuals is slim, it will definitely gravitate eyes over to Caddy for a drive among the true car driving enthusiasts left.

#ThankYouCadillac
    RedSkyBlackDream

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,771 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Maybe something that even the Cadillac critics on GMI can finally applaud.
    Yeah, there is a God and he answered their prayers. Even though I'm not in to them any more, I went shiftless 20 years ago or so, I'm glad to hear this for the sake of those who want one or gotta have it that way.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

This is a good move in my part, modern manual transmission cars are super easy to drive even though you have people who don't know how to drive a stick and are intimidated by the idea of doing so.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,703 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillz View Post
    This is a good move in my part, modern manual transmission cars are super easy to drive even though you have people who don't know how to drive a stick and are intimidated by the idea of doing so.
    Yes they are a lot easier! Clutches are a million times easier and no rolling backwards! I remember the terror I felt when learning to drive on my 76 Chevy Monza with a 4 speed stick and the base 4 (68 hp) when I had to stop on a steep hill and there was a car behind me....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (07-10-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkillz View Post
    True! My Sonic is about a thousand times easier to drive than say my brother’s 3sp AMC Gremlin in high school. Easy clutch, no roll back, every gear is easy to find. Ironic that manuals are going away when they’re finally easy-peasy to drive.

Hoping for a manual 2.0T CT4, but not holding my breath...
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (07-10-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    A ray of sunshine.......
    But not even sunshine can escape the all consuming black hole that is GM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,634 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Maybe something that even the Cadillac critics on GMI can finally applaud.
    And then not buy.

I'm not going to go all gaga over manuals and then not purchase.
    My next car will have an automatic transmission... or no conventional transmission at all.
    Last edited by eaton53; 07-06-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,802 Times in 956 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    I've been busy getting a Harley.. but I'm back. All the People say "AMEN!"
    Congratulations, and AMEN! I'm sure your Harley has a manual transmission.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    But not even sunshine can escape the all consuming black hole that is GM.
    "But not even sunshine can escape the all consuming black hole that is GMI"

Fixed it for ya.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

Dheart (07-10-2019),SKH (07-06-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    "But not even sunshine can escape the all consuming black hole that is GMI"

Fixed it for ya.
    There is nothing wrong with GMI, some of here are realist GM fans and some of us are pie in the sky GM fans. If we were all here kissing GM's ass what would be the fun in that?

I just want GM to make cars I want again.....Nothing about GM's current product offerings stir me to want them (10-15 years ago that wasn't the case)..Cadillac was my last best hope (the ATS and CTS the finally two I would want),but Cadillac got Escala'ed and now Caddy is off the table for me as well.

I went from liking everything (mostly) GM made to nothing.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-07-2019),BlackGTP (07-07-2019),Neanderthal (07-07-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

There is nothing wrong with GMI, some of here are realist GM fans and some of us are pie in the sky GM fans. If we were all here kissing GM's ass what would be the fun in that?

I just want GM to make cars I want again.....Nothing about GM's current product offerings stir me to want them (10-15 years ago that wasn't the case)..Cadillac was my last best hope (the ATS and CTS the finally two I would want),but Cadillac got Escala'ed and now Caddy is off the table for me as well.

For cars that interest me we're basically down to the Cadillac CT-Triplets and the Camaro/Corvette. Kinda sad. But at Ford it's down to one - the Mustang. And at FCA it's the 300-Charger- Challenger which are really aging. Sad times for American cars for enthusiasts.

They're going to regret turning almost all the entire sedan/coupe-convertible market over to the foreign brands

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

Dheart (07-10-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (07-10-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,957 Times in 3,792 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Bingo. What some call "trashing everything GM" is IMO simply pointing out flaws, many that have been painfully obvious for years or decades.

Unconditional love is fanboizism. Realistic criticism is somehow "hate on GM."
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-07-2019),Z Fury (07-09-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Funny how GM went from making stuff we all liked, but unprofitable, to hugely profitable but making some unhappy.

I myself am happy to see GM make profits and strong. I'm also happy to see Cadillac offering product that young people can like, maybe not you, but they aren't strictly old man cars. I'm really happy that Cadillac will offer lower level performance trims, I don't give a rats ass what they'll call them. My ATS may not be perfect, but I love it - it is a lot of fun to drive.

I'm also happy that when auto mags do comparisons, GM doesn't automatically end up at the bottom, they may not be #1, but they aren't the newest entrant and already the worst on the market. I do miss all of the performance variants (Z24's, GTP's, etc), but I don't think the market is looking for those cars anymore, and the financial side of me can't fault GM for not building them in today's market. If Cadillac wasn't building what I like, I don't know what I'd end up buying - maybe the Buick Regal, but I'm not crazy over the exterior and Chevy doesn't offer any cars that interest me (and the Camaro's rwd only is a deal killer for me and I'm not sure if I'd get over the high beltline).

And I do get people being unhappy - if you don't like Cadillac's styling direction, then there isn't much performance related vehicles left in GM's stable other than the Vette and Camaro. What does upset me is the attitudes on GMI - I like what Cadillac is doing, but because I like it I am labeled - and I'm not saying this to start a fight, but just to point out how many of us feel - is that I'm labeled as a pie in the sky fan, and you view yourself as a realist. I get it that you and many others don't like GM's direction and respect that, but I don't feel like it is respected that I do like Cadillac's direction. Again, I am not trying to start a fight, I am respectfully asking a question to you or anyone else that doesn't like GM's direction - why do I have to be a "GM apologist" because I like what Cadillac is doing and you guys are the "grounded sanity" because you don't? Again, not trying to start a fight, but rather throwing it out there for everyone to get a better understanding of each other. I'm not a sensitive touchy-feely guy as some have labeled me, I just like to stand up for myself and not just "take it" - I don't sit at home crying all day because of GMI (other than the time I was called a racist - that had steam coming out of my ears).

And yes, I do also agree that having differing viewpoints makes GMI a better place, I just don't like being inferred that I'm an idiot because I like something - I hope I've never made someone feel like that if my viewpoint is different.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-07-2019),Cobaltss_King (07-07-2019),Dheart (07-10-2019),jzchev28 (07-10-2019),wallus13 (07-07-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Bingo. What some call "trashing everything GM" is IMO simply pointing out flaws, many that have been painfully obvious for years or decades.

Unconditional love is fanboizism. Realistic criticism is somehow "hate on GM."
    But - see my post above - why am I a fanboi because the CT5 c-pillar kink isn't the end of the world for me? Why is criticizing the kink realistic and being fine with it not? I think that is where "things deteriorate" on GMI.

There is clearly a group of people that lean heavily (and some exclusively) to criticism and obviously a group that goes in the other direction. Why is criticism "realistic" and liking something "unrealistic"?

For me the overall shape of the car is the most important piece, and I love the overall shape of the CT5, the details are secondary (but still important). I think for many the details come first and the overall shape is secondary. So I get it that a lot of people don't like the C pillar - but again, why is that viewpoint realistic but mine isn't?

Again, as I said in the post above, I'm not trying to get everyone all riled up and angry - I say this as a talking point for understanding.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-07-2019),Dheart (07-10-2019),jzchev28 (07-10-2019),Neanderthal (07-07-2019),wallus13 (07-07-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information