Cadillac Resets Itís Sight - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Resets Itís Sight

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,759 Times in 1,805 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Cadillac Resets Itís Sight

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Divorcing Cadillac and GM is the best course of action for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    No, that would be a disaster for Cadillac, who has the money to keep Cadillac going?
    A divorce of sorts, kind of like this analogy: Time to let Cadillac be Cadillac means Cadillac is an adult now. GM needs to quit being the helicopter parents and quit hovering.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-09-2019),Extreme4x4 (06-09-2019),Syclone478 (06-09-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,039 Times in 3,219 Posts

You have to wonder how people like her end up getting jobs like this. It's obvious she's not in this position because of her passion for the Cadillac brand. Once you get your foot in the door in the corporate world, just don't say the wrong things and sooner or later you climb the ladder.

It's too bad our current corporate culture doesn't allow for people like her to be called out as incompetent. It's too bad our current corporate culture requires the neutering of strong opinions and actions. As far as I can tell she adds nothing to the marketing and branding of Cadillac. She and people like her, are exactly the reason Cadillac is shrinking, even though billions of dollars and years have been invested.

We need someone bold and brash in this position, someone that is willing to kick over the kitchen table and fulfill a vision for the brand.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-09-2019),CadillacSA (06-09-2019),ClassyEldo (06-11-2019),Extreme4x4 (06-09-2019),rockyspaw (06-09-2019),Syclone478 (06-09-2019),The Handler (06-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Oh Please. Some of U are so dramatic it hurts to read. GM has maintained Cadillac as a premier luxury brand since 1909. That's 110 years longer as a luxury car company than any other luxury car maker on the planet. No other luxury car maker has had to be luxury that long. The rest of the brands are baby brands. Even Mercedes... It was not always considered luxury. Cadillac has been nothing but.. and it had to reinvent itself mid-drift with one portion of the population wanting it to be one thing, while the other wanted it to be a hybrid of two. Sport luxury like the Europeans...

This interview was marketing 101. It was to kill and banish the whole talk of Cadillac trying to be European.. Trying to be BMW. Cadillac being Cadillac means Cadillac going its own route and doing what it does best. Forgoing the rules and creating their own. The tweener strategy is an example. Someone in another thread said:

Its as if.. The problem is that people who were not apart of the time of the legend.. didn't experience the legend first hand. I liken Cadillac to Prince thru out his career. Most people know his legend because of Purple Rain, but he was so much more.. before Purple Rain there was the genius of Dirty Mind... after Purple Rain there was the supper brilliance of Sign o The Times and Musicology.. But in between them there were a few weak albums. But overall the legend remains... the legend was real.. and deserved. Cadillac doesn't need to reinvent itself. It just needs to be Cadillac.. which is simply not like the cookie cutter European luxury brands some hold in such high regard, for no other reason than they are European.
    GM has not maintained Cadillac as premier luxury brand for as long as you say because the products started faultering in the 1970s and 1980s. This led to Sevilles that were intended to capture the flow of customers switching to quality German imports but instead were re-engineered Novas which only sold to Grandmothers wanting a more compact manuverable Cadillac. Following that there are the shotty Diesel V8 engines, unreliable V-8-6-4 engines, badge engineered Cavaliers with leather and dwarfed mid-size and full-size FWD cars that were boxy and undistinguishable from lesser GM offerings. Throw in there a luxury roadster which they spent all their R&D having it be a hand built body sent from Italy instead of investing it in a fully powered convertible top and other needed electrical reliability. They were all vehicles that were neither class leading nor on par with imported luxury brands. Repeated attempts to compete with luxury imports has only resulted in products that fall short and never re-established the brand as top tier, especially when it concerns brand image no matter how close some of the latest offerings have become more competitive. Now Cadillac is just another average brand on par with most any other brand with expected reliability and higher content levels. Cadillac has to start giving customers a reason to buy their product over everything else.
    Last edited by Watchdevil; 06-09-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    ---

1998 Bwurick Regallbladder Ellis Thurddy-ate Hunnit Vee Six.

Featuring the same quality interior as a Chevy Cavalier... But with leather...

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Watchdevil For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-09-2019),Extreme4x4 (06-09-2019),gkr778 (06-09-2019),Mr.Buttons (06-09-2019),ryannel2003 (06-09-2019),The Handler (06-10-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Also, I wonder if both her and Mary buy their leather jackets at the same store?
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (06-11-2019),Mr.Buttons (06-09-2019),yello430 (06-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    You have to wonder how people like her end up getting jobs like this. It's obvious she's not in this position because of her passion for the Cadillac brand. Once you get your foot in the door in the corporate world, just don't say the wrong things and sooner or later you climb the ladder.

It's too bad our current corporate culture doesn't allow for people like her to be called out as incompetent. It's too bad our current corporate culture requires the neutering of strong opinions and actions. As far as I can tell she adds nothing to the marketing and branding of Cadillac. She and people like her, are exactly the reason Cadillac is shrinking, even though billions of dollars and years have been invested.

We need someone bold and brash in this position, someone that is willing to kick over the kitchen table and fulfill a vision for the brand.
    It's a far cry from the days when the industry was made up of people that had inventive passion for automobiles. Now they are just cheerleaders for stockholders.
    ---

1998 Bwurick Regallbladder Ellis Thurddy-ate Hunnit Vee Six.

Featuring the same quality interior as a Chevy Cavalier... But with leather...

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Watchdevil For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-09-2019),AMERICA 123 (06-09-2019),CadillacSA (06-09-2019),rockyspaw (06-09-2019),The Handler (06-10-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Oh Please. Some of U are so dramatic it hurts to read. GM has maintained Cadillac as a premier luxury brand since 1909. That's 110 years longer as a luxury car company than any other luxury car maker on the planet. No other luxury car maker has had to be luxury that long. The rest of the brands are baby brands. Even Mercedes... It was not always considered luxury. Cadillac has been nothing but.. and it had to reinvent itself mid-drift with one portion of the population wanting it to be one thing, while the other wanted it to be a hybrid of two. Sport luxury like the Europeans...

This interview was marketing 101. It was to kill and banish the whole talk of Cadillac trying to be European.. Trying to be BMW. Cadillac being Cadillac means Cadillac going its own route and doing what it does best. Forgoing the rules and creating their own. The tweener strategy is an example. Someone in another thread said:

Its as if.. The problem is that people who were not apart of the time of the legend.. didn't experience the legend first hand. I liken Cadillac to Prince thru out his career. Most people know his legend because of Purple Rain, but he was so much more.. before Purple Rain there was the genius of Dirty Mind... after Purple Rain there was the supper brilliance of Sign o The Times and Musicology.. But in between them there were a few weak albums. But overall the legend remains... the legend was real.. and deserved. Cadillac doesn't need to reinvent itself. It just needs to be Cadillac.. which is simply not like the cookie cutter European luxury brands some hold in such high regard, for no other reason than they are European.

I'm not taking away the history of Cadillac...Let me put it to you like this. Today's Cadillac to me is like when Prince was with Tony M, the GameBoyZ and Carmen Electra. Were there some gems? Hell yeah,but you had to sift through a lot of *hi* to get to them and let me tell you I have been sifting.
    Last edited by Mr.Buttons; 06-09-2019 at 11:13 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-09-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Also, I wonder if both her and Mary buy their leather jackets at the same store?
    They probably do. From the same store at the same time and Hi-5 each other on the way out.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (06-09-2019),Z284ever (06-09-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdevil View Post
    GM has not maintained Cadillac as premier luxury brand for as long as you say because the products started faultering in the 1970s and 1980s leading to Sevilles that were intended to capture the flow of customers switching to quality German imports but instead were re-engineered Novas only sold to Grandmothers wanting a more compact manuverable Cadillac. Following that there is the shotty Diesel V8 engines, unreliable V-8-6-4 engines, badge engineered Cavaliers with leather and dwarfed mid-size and full-size FWD cars that were boxy and undistinguishable from lesser GM offerings. All vehicles that were neither class leading nor on par with imported luxury brands. Repeated attempts to compete with luxury imports has only resulted in products that fall short and never re-established the brand as top tier, especially when it concerns brand image no matter how close some of the latest offerings have become more competitive. Now Cadillac is just another average brand on par with most any other brand with expected reliability and higher content levels. Cadillac has to start giving customers a reason to buy their product over everything else.
    30-40 years ago!!!

and U're still bringing it up.... BMW currently, in 2019, has engines burning down people's houses and nothin.. TODAY!!! I won't even get into the Audis and Benz shortcomings...

In the mean time we have gotten one of the absolute iconic SUVs in history.. a bespoke rebadge of the $70K Tahoe.. a car that hands down reigned supreme as the best engineered compact luxury segment buster to date.. of course we focused on the back seat room and instrument gauges.. one of the most awarded and svelt mid-sizers ever... two generations going.. the CT6.. a challenger to the class leader S-Class for $20K less. Wonder what the CT6 would be if they took that equivalent $20K.. raised the price as much.. and put back into the car, giving the middle finger to the cheap sobs out there who say they shouldn't charge as much..

Repeated attempts? I said it once and I'll say it again.. Cadillac isn't let down by GM as much as it is let down by negativity perpetrated by AMERICANS who want discount luxury while at the same time wanting Cadillac to offer everything.. and I mean EVERYTHING.. the Germans offer without raising the price. The CTS was a great example. CADILLAC GAVE THE CUSTOMERS A REASON TO BUY FOR STILL LESS AND PEOPLE STILL BOUGHT AN INFERIOR E-CLASS OR 5SERIES because the price was supposedly too high. LMFAO. I bought my CTS-V after looking at the BMW M5 and E63AMG for comparison sake.. and couldn't find one reason why I should have bought one of those German super sedans over my Caddy. Not even AWD.. since I don;t even remotely drive my car when its raining.. let alone snow. Just don't want to get her dirty LOL

man I wish I could really express what I think
    Last edited by CMiatso DaBang; 06-09-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust Hidden Content

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-09-2019),ehaase (06-09-2019),glssmann1 (06-10-2019),jzchev28 (06-09-2019),rockyspaw (06-09-2019),Scrambler (06-09-2019),Syclone478 (06-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    I'm not taking away the history of Cadillac...Let me put it to you like this. Today's Cadillac to me is like when Prince was with Tony M, the GameBoyZ and Carmen Electra. Were there some gems? Hell yeah,but you had to sift through a lot of *hi* to get to them and let me tell you I have been sifting.
    Nice... And helluva great analogy. but U gotta remember the commercial fluff was usually accompanied by brilliant excess. Those willing to "sift" found it with ease.. ignoring the commercial stuff, or at the very least, realizing it was for the masses. The CT6V is for the enthusiasts.. as is the CT4/5V BASED ON ENGINE DESIRE when they are revealed fully.. The XT6, XT5.. even XT4 in their current forms are for the masses. There is nothing inferior about them.. they just aren't for U if your needs are for hi-po. Caddy should address this... but just because the hi-po versions don't exist doesn't make the regular versions sub-par. Currently, is a Stingray a bad vehicle suddenly if they didn't have a Z06 or ZR1?
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust Hidden Content

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (06-09-2019),Mr.Buttons (06-09-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rand49er's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm thinking I may have been a bit harsh on Ms Wahl in that video in my previous post. I'm thinking, what is she suppose to do and say in an interview like this? Tell the world including competitors what Cadillac's marketing strategy is? ... in detail? ... in terms other marketing people understand? That would be pretty stupid actually. I think maybe she's just dancing around as she "answers" questions and is trying to be elusive. If that's the case, she's doing a marvelous job ... at saying nothing. John McElroy realizes it, I'm sure. He's been around.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rand49er For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-09-2019),ClassyEldo (06-11-2019),CMiatso DaBang (06-09-2019),jzchev28 (06-09-2019),richmond2000 (06-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    I'm thinking I may have been a bit harsh on Ms Wahl in that video in my previous post. I'm thinking, what is she suppose to do and say in an interview like this? Tell the world including competitors what Cadillac's marketing strategy is? ... in detail? ... in terms other marketing people understand? That would be pretty stupid actually. I think maybe she's just dancing around as she "answers" questions and is trying to be elusive. If that's the case, she's doing a marvelous job ... at saying nothing. John McElroy realizes it, I'm sure. He's been around.
    Marketing!!! Go figure. GMI wants GM to tell them everything .. all the secrets.. or she's a hack. This woman is doing her job. Mary is doing her job. And speaking of Mary.. I have seen nothing that she has done that is not in the best interest of the corporation.. which is a CEO's job.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (06-09-2019),megeebee (06-09-2019),rand49er (06-09-2019),richmond2000 (06-09-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

She mouthed a lot of corporate speak which is what you do in that position. She's head of marketing not engineering. I do think the most recent commercials are a lot better. They were awful under DeNyschenn (or however you spell his name).

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (06-11-2019),CMiatso DaBang (06-09-2019),jzchev28 (06-09-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdevil View Post
    GM has not maintained Cadillac as premier luxury brand for as long as you say because the products started faultering in the 1970s and 1980s. This led to Sevilles that were intended to capture the flow of customers switching to quality German imports but instead were re-engineered Novas which only sold to Grandmothers wanting a more compact manuverable Cadillac. Following that there are the shotty Diesel V8 engines, unreliable V-8-6-4 engines, badge engineered Cavaliers with leather and dwarfed mid-size and full-size FWD cars that were boxy and undistinguishable from lesser GM offerings. Throw in there a luxury roadster which they spent all their R&D having it be a hand built body sent from Italy instead of investing it in a fully powered convertible top and other needed electrical reliability. They were all vehicles that were neither class leading nor on par with imported luxury brands. Repeated attempts to compete with luxury imports has only resulted in products that fall short and never re-established the brand as top tier, especially when it concerns brand image no matter how close some of the latest offerings have become more competitive. Now Cadillac is just another average brand on par with most any other brand with expected reliability and higher content levels. Cadillac has to start giving customers a reason to buy their product over everything else.
    Caddy's issue is very similar to all other American brands that've been around for 100 years. Back then, there actually was innovation, risk, and success across the world. But, after the two world wars in the 1st half of the 20th century, the only major economy untouched by all of that nonsense was the US. Any American company had the defacto hold on the global economy simply because it wasn't demolished by bombs. Fast forward 35 years and the rest of the world finally catches up the GM and all the rest in the US. Since then, it's been an uphill battle trying to maintain relevance in a world all trying to win in the US while at the same time successfully compete against the US.

So, yes Caddy was the standard of the world at one point, but, only because there really wasn't anybody else big and strong enough to successfully compete. Now, well the story is different and as a result Caddy needs to think differently.

This was a puff piece and like others said, it is just trying to let everyone know that Caddy is no longer the "me too" luxury car brand it's been for quite some time. So, let's see what happens. The ultimate vote is how much money will consumers be willing to part from their wallets so that it will land in Cadillac's coffers.
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

28. The Following User Says Thank You to GMOwner For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-09-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,469 Times in 3,138 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse
    Let's face if, Cadillac is still by far the most innovative auto brand, let's see, Omega construction techniques, super cruise literally takes cruise missile tech and adapts if for automobile, Alpha, first chassis to adopt serious weight loss technologies us in g regular materials, first direct injection pushed motor in the luxury space, magnetic ride control of in the 4 get.. First luxury brand to employ a lithium ion hybrid, two mode electric drive, night vision, vibration elders, fancy camera mirror.. etc, etc.. But will this pantie suit tell Cadillac's story?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Syclone478 (06-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Let's face if, Cadillac is still by far the most innovative auto brand, let's see, Omega construction techniques, super cruise literally takes cruise missile tech and adapts if for automobile, Alpha, first chassis to adopt serious weight loss technologies us in g regular materials, first direct injection pushed motor in the luxury space, magnetic ride control of in the 4 get.. First luxury brand to employ a lithium ion hybrid, two mode electric drive, night vision, vibration elders, fancy camera mirror.. etc, etc.. But will this pantie suit tell Cadillac's story?
    Cadillac has every tool it needs to dominate it's segment. Vehicle architectures, powertrains, technology, everything! It seems all the difficult stuff is at their fingertips. They just have a hard time with their branding, styling, positioning and marketing. They have the things which require mathematics down. What they lack are the things that require passion.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (06-09-2019),Mr.Buttons (06-09-2019),richmond2000 (06-09-2019),The Handler (06-10-2019),yello430 (06-10-2019)

33. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information