Cadillac Ranked 17th in 2019 J D Power Initial Quality Survey - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Ranked 17th in 2019 J D Power Initial Quality Survey

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,066 Times in 3,853 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Cadillac Ranked 17th in 2019 J D Power Initial Quality Survey

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    The over-the-air update is the source of my problem.
    OK, sorry, I was under the impression the dealer did something. In that case, I'd buy up a good stock of aluminum foil.

Quote Originally Posted by criticalmass View Post
    Once you get below 1 problem per hundred the study becomes completely meaningless. . Splitting tenths has no relevance to the real world.
    Quality across the board....all manufacturers...has never been better. Infotainment systems account for most of the demerits and that is a personal preference issue, not a defect.
    Agree. But the Chinese I mean JDPower wants to stay relevant because that means you make money vs. not make money.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,117 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

My ATS has been great and I answered a JPD survey and a couple of other surveys about it (Auto Pacific and some other company). I gave it great scores because it has been great.

But I did have an issue recently (post survey). Not so much with the car, but with something else that is more annoying than a simple car problem. If something was wrong with the car, I can accept that this sort of thing can happen. My car was fine. But I wonder how many people trash Cadillac for what happened with me.

The fine folks at Cadillac sent out a software update to CUE. Since then, I've had issues with XM Radio and with my USB music library. When i called support, the cheery answer was, "Oh, just go to your dealer and have them look at it." Great, because it's not like I have a job or anything better to do! Since the update, my XM Radio often says that it's initializing or "tuner not available" for several minutes after starting the car. My stored XM favorites are sometimes unavailable. Then they'll come back. Or not. Or they'll be partially available and I actually have to re-select all the ones that are not available. With my USB, voice recognition wasn't recognizing album titles. I finally pulled the USB and cleared the index. The USB seems to be working well now, but XM is still iffy.

I like CUE. I think the interface is really easy to use. But it pisses me off when people in Michigan or Bangalore or wherever can transmit updates to my car (which was working fine) and screw things up. My car is my sanctuary, and while this may seem like a minor issue, it really has gotten under my skin. CUE sends out a monthly warning about distracted driving. This update has caused me more distraction than anything else in my driving time. Even at it's best, while the interface is fine, the programming behind the CUE interface has never been as good as what you'll get in an FCA product. My old Cherokee had great software. Cadillac should fire the CUE Clowns and poach the programmers from over at FCA.
    2018 RAM and the Grand Cherokee with the 8" radio had an update pushed to them and it "broke" the sound quality to the point that it is not usable and FCA's response is see the dealer and the dealers swap the radio and the NEW ONE has the same firmware OR the dealer flashes it to the latest as PER the requirement of the warranty coverage breaking the NEW radio

I also had heard that the rebadge cars get LOWER ratings due to the bad dealer experience IE expecting a Pontiac dealer to be trained on Toyota and fully stocked on Toyota parts (matrix/vibe) same car worse dealer experience and greater chance of non successful repairs or DELAYS on repairs

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,185 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    2018 RAM and the Grand Cherokee with the 8" radio had an update pushed to them and it "broke" the sound quality to the point that it is not usable and FCA's response is see the dealer and the dealers swap the radio and the NEW ONE has the same firmware OR the dealer flashes it to the latest as PER the requirement of the warranty coverage breaking the NEW radio

I also had heard that the rebadge cars get LOWER ratings due to the bad dealer experience IE expecting a Pontiac dealer to be trained on Toyota and fully stocked on Toyota parts (matrix/vibe) same car worse dealer experience and greater chance of non successful repairs or DELAYS on repairs

When they pushed out the update, I did get an "I accept" screen that I'm sure absolves Cadillac of any blame. It was working fine without the update. I foolishly trusted that their update would be for the better. If it ever starts working as well as it used to, I'll reject future updates.

I've been a software developer for over three decades. I'd be fired if I pushed something like this out to our customers.
    Last edited by ksr; 06-20-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

rougeriver (06-22-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

As far as the Battle of the IQS Press Release goes, HK walked away as 'the' big winner - basically versus all others combined..... when seconds and thirds are counted.

So yeah, the shock here is not only ..... how thoroughly the Koreans displaced the Japanese for 1 -2 -3, but also how they elbowed everyone else out almost as well - where they competed.

One of the more interesting IQS Press Releases in a really, really long time and not just because of what is written but also just as much so because of what is not written.

Anyway, they did manage to point out some things besides what they passed on.

From the Presser - and I prefer they way they present it here;

Initial quality is measured by the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) during the first 90 days of ownership, with a lower score reflecting higher quality.

In this year’s study, only13 brands improved, while 18 worsened.

The industry average remained unchanged at 93 PP100. Following are < some of the > key findings of the 2019 study:

Gap between Korean brands and others continues to widen:The three highest-ranking brands—Genesis, Kia and Hyundai—are all from Korean manufacturer Hyundai Motor Group, and the gap between these three brands and all others has widened considerably.

Remarkably, 16 of 18 models from Hyundai Motor Group rank in the top three in their respective segments.These vehicles tend to perform especially well in the areas of infotainment and other electronic components.

Domestic brands above average:Ford (83 PP100), Lincoln (84 PP100), Chevrolet (85 PP100), Dodge (90 PP100) and Buick (92 PP100) all perform better than the industry averageof 93 PP100.

Overall, Domestic-branded vehicles perform close to the average in most areas.

All European brands are below average: In contrast to the success of the Korean automakers and the leading domestic and Japanese brands, all 10 European marques are below average. The largest gaps for the European vehicles are infotainment and other electronics.

Porsche 911 again achieves the best score of any model: The Porsche 911, with just 58 PP100, has the best score of any model for the second consecutive year.

Infotainment problems are decreasing: Infotainment remains the most problematic category for new-vehicle owners. However, this area is the most improved from 2018, led by fewer problems for voice recognition and Bluetooth.

Problems with driver assistance systems are increasing: As advanced driver assistance systems become more widespread and increasingly complex, more owners are indicating problems. The average for premium brands is 6.1 PP100, up from 5.0 last year, while the average for mass market brands is 3.5 PP100.

New and redesigned vehicles still trail carryover vehicles: Vehicles that were launched in 2019 have an average problem level of 103 PP100, which equals the best score ever. However, this is still well below the score for carryover models, which have an average problem level of 91 PP100.

And then this. Again, just look at who is missing.....

Highest-Ranking Brands and Models

Genesis ranks highest in overall initial quality with a score of just 63 PP100. Kia (70 PP100) places second and Hyundai(71 PP100) ranks third. This is the second year in a row that the three Korean brands are at the top of the overall ranking, and it is the fifth consecutive year that Kia is the highest-ranked mass market brand.

Ford (83 PP100) ranks fourth and Lincoln (84 PP100) ranks fifth, marking the first time both Ford Motor Company brands place in the top five in the same year.

Land Rover is the most-improved brand, with owners reporting 37 PP100 fewer problems than in 2018.

Other brands with strong improvements include Jaguar (18 PP100 improvement), and Dodge and Volvo (each with 8 PP100 improvement).

This is the highest Dodge has ever ranked in the study. < Above Average - #8 - ahead of Lexus #9, Toyota #10, and Buick #11 >.

The parent corporation receiving the most model-level awards is Hyundai Motor Group(six awards), followed by General Motors Company (five);BMW AG (three);Ford Motor Company (two) and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. (two).

Hyundai Motor Group models that rank highest in their respective segments are Genesis G70; Hyundai Santa Fe; Kia Forte; Kia Rio; Kia Sedona;and Kia Sportage.

General Motors Company models that rank highest in their segments are Cadillac Escalade; Chevrolet Equinox; Chevrolet Malibu; Chevrolet Silverado HD;and Chevrolet Tahoe.

BMW AG models that rank highest in their segments are BMW 2 Series; BMW X4; and MINI Cooper.

Ford Motor Company models that rank highest in their segments are Ford Fusion and Ford Ranger.

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. models that rank highest in their segments are Nissan Maxima and Nissan Titan.

Other models that rank highest in their respective segments are Dodge Challenger, Lexus RX and Mercedes-Benz CLS.

Wow, just Wow.

One Toyota / Lexus in first ? And really, about the same kinda' showing when all the larger amounts of seconds and 'thirds' are added up ?

One of the many that is just so interesting is -

Midsize Car

Highest Ranked: Chevrolet Malibu (Tie) Highest Ranked: Ford Fusion (Tie)

Hyundai Sonata (Tie) Kia Optima (Tie)

No Camry

No Accord

No other Japanese

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...lity-study-iqs
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 06-30-2019 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Corrected "Japanese" to "Toyota / Lexus"
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain " Matt Taibbi

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AMERICA 123 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-21-2019),1999 White C5 Coupe (06-20-2019),ksr (06-20-2019),Neanderthal (06-20-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,185 Posts

I think Dodge has figured out the secret to quality. Build fewer and fewer models, and keep building only the ones that have been around forever. Doesn't seem to work for Chrysler though.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

Thanks
    My Ride

When they pushed out the update, I did get an "I accept" screen that I'm sure absolves Cadillac of any blame. It was working fine without the update. I foolishly trusted that their update would be for the better. If it ever starts working as well as it used to, I'll reject future updates.

I've been a software developer for over three decades. I'd be fired if I pushed something like this out to our customers.
    I'm always leery of an update on my iPhone. I usually ask a buddy if he's installed it yet, then wait a week or two to see if it blows up or actually works. Sometimes "new and improved" isn't, so much.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post

Agree. But the Chinese I mean JDPower wants to stay relevant because that means you make money vs. not make money.
    Exactly. Back in the day I met JD in his office in California and also his son who managed the Detroit office. He created quite an industry and catapulted the JD Power brand into the most sought after and recognized award in the ranking space. Brilliant marketing that has CEOs licking his boots (or whatever) to garner the coveted JD accolades. GM at one time even had a small dept. dedicated to nothing but capturing that award by any means possible.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to criticalmass For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-20-2019),rougeriver (06-22-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

My 2018 ATS 8 speed transmission is horrible. Very rough 1st to 2nd upshift. Took it to dealer and they updated software.....did nothing.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,072 Posts

Once you get below 1 problem per hundred the study becomes completely meaningless. . Splitting tenths has no relevance to the real world.
    I agree, when the line is that fine it's easy to see big drops, and quite difficult to make big gains.

Quality across the board....all manufacturers...has never been better. Infotainment systems account for most of the demerits and that is a personal preference issue, not a defect.
    Again, I agree, it's virtually impossible to buy a bad vehicle these days. Is anybody feeling nostalgic for the good old days of Yugo?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Member17739 View Post
    My 2018 ATS 8 speed transmission is horrible. Very rough 1st to 2nd upshift. Took it to dealer and they updated software.....did nothing.
    My '13 Charger 8A was flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    I agree, when the line is that fine it's easy to see big drops, and quite difficult to make big gains.

Again, I agree, it's virtually impossible to buy a bad vehicle these days. Is anybody feeling nostalgic for the good old days of Yugo?
    But there's the occasional lemon or at least troublesome one. I had a Charger like that. My GP had issues too.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Call Tesla and ask for an over-the-air update!

Can't Caddy do that? No?
    I sent an Email to Mary asking about on air updates. She sent back a drawing of it and said it's coming soon...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-21-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

I assume you mean 1 problem per vehicle? The study indicates an industry average of 93 problems per 100 vehicles, or a little less than 1 per vehicle. The best is Genesis (63 per 100) the worst is Jaguar (130 per 100) or about a X2 spread.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...lity-study-iqs

Agree, today's cars are way more reliable than in the "good old days". But there are still issues/problems.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (06-21-2019),Neanderthal (06-21-2019)

Thanks

Lets also not forget that many of the problem are not traditional failures, but design or performance issues, such as the behavior of a transmission or infotainment system. I've even seen under achieving fuel economy to be counted as a problem.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-21-2019),BlackGTP (06-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,662 Times in 4,563 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

I prefer "15th runner-up" sounds less-bad...................
    Current: Hidden Content Hidden Content

Past: '17 Cruze; '15 F150; '14 Volt; '13 MKX; '13 Silverado; '13 Fusion; '11 Ram; '10 Commander; '08 Sierra; '07 Rendezvous; '05 Ram; '04 Grand Cherokee; '03 F150; '01 Silverado; '00 Jimmy; '99 Sierra; '97 Ram; '96 Mustang GT; '96 Jimmy; '90 Escort GT; '89 Ranger; '84 Omni; '76 Malibu; '78 LeMans; '85 Escort; '82 Lynx; '75 Sierra

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    Lets also not forget that many of the problem are not traditional failures, but design or performance issues, such as the behavior of a transmission or infotainment system. I've even seen under achieving fuel economy to be counted as a problem.
    Yes, this is the initial quality study that looks at only the first 90 days. Not too many blown trannies or battery failures in the first 90 days...I hope! Their 3yr study looks at more of that stuff. The last one lookes at 2016s.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...ility-studyvds
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast