Cadillac Ranked 17th in 2019 J D Power Initial Quality Survey

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Ranked 17th in 2019 J D Power Initial Quality Survey

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Cadillac Ranked 17th in 2019 J D Power Initial Quality Survey

Cadillac has been ranked 17th in the just released 2019 J D Power Initial New Vehicle Quality Survey, and the top three positions were Korean manufacturers:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...gs/1488480001/
    Last edited by Envoy4Life; 06-19-2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added correct link.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-19-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,982 Times in 3,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Cadillac Ranked 17th in 2019 J D Power Initial Quality Survey

That link wouldn't load for some reason. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...gs/1488480001/
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (06-20-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Wow Lexus/Toyota down to 9 & 10, don’t they usually come in 1 & 2. Glad to see Malibu/Fusion tied for the Midsize category.

Cadillac midrange at 17 of 32, higher than major competitors like BMW and Audi, not as good as others.

But this is Initial Quality, I’m more interested in the 3 year test myself.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,208 Times in 3,709 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Wow, major changes in the ranking. I see the rankings, yet I can't get my hands around the Japanese no longer dominating the top 10. They've been at the top most of my life. I'd love to know what drove Chevy so high and Honda so comparatively low. Either way, go USA!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

dannyg (06-20-2019),Dheart (06-20-2019),richmond2000 (06-20-2019),wallus13 (06-19-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,497 Times in 3,761 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Here's the full list:

2019 J.D. Power Initial Quality Rankings

1.) Genesis
    2.) Kia
    3.) Hyundai
    4.) Ford
    5.) Lincoln
    6.) Chevrolet
    7.) Nissan
    8.) Dodge
    9.) Lexus
    10.) Toyota
    11.) Buick
    12.) GMC
    13.) Mazda
    14.) Mercedes-Benz
    15.) Porsche
    16.) Honda
    17.) Cadillac
    18.) Jeep
    19.) Infiniti
    20.) BMW
    21.) Ram
    22.) Audi
    23.) Mini
    24.) Acura
    25.) Chrysler
    26.) Subaru
    27.) Volkswagen
    28.) Volvo
    29.) Alfa Romeo
    30.) Mitsubishi
    31.) Land Rover
    32.) Jaguar
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-21-2019),BlackGTP (06-20-2019),buildacariwant (06-20-2019),Neanderthal (06-19-2019),rand49er (06-22-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Hmmmm. Waiting for the KIA- and Hyundai-haters to come out of the woodwork.

Otherwise, Dodge at 8, above Lexus and Toyota? Ford and Lincoln at #4 & #5? Chevy right behind them? Zouds.

Hell, I'll just copy it, it's easier. The way I do my math, 16 is the halfway point.

1.) Genesis
    2.) Kia
    3.) Hyundai
    4.) Ford
    5.) Lincoln
    6.) Chevrolet
    7.) Nissan
    8.) Dodge
    9.) Lexus
    10.) Toyota
    11.) Buick
    12.) GMC
    13.) Mazda
    14.) Mercedes-Benz
    15.) Porsche
    16.) Honda
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-19-2019 at 10:57 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

What helped brands like Toyota and Honda was a lack of new major mechanical parts in their cars, though now with current market conditions they have had to bring new mechanical parts to market in a lot of vehicles at roughly the same time. It is just that for a long time the Japanese havn't had to bring new gear to the market until now in order to stay competitive. When the more recent Lexus IS came out the engines were carry overs meaning expect little to no issues with them as those have been ironed out. There is also a glut of new technologies coming out which is also likely causing problems for consumers, this is pretty much going to hurt all brands.

With that being said Chevy has had a lot of carryover engines as of late to the point in which I don't think there was a single new engine introduced for the 2019 model year. Cadillac on the other hand is on a product assault so expect them to perform poorly probably until 2021 model year.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roadkillz For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-21-2019),BlackGTP (06-20-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Sometimes it takes a while for perception to catch-up with reality. I was always a fan of Honda reliability and quality right up until the point that Honda stopped being a fan of Honda reliability and quality.The late 90’s to mid 2000’s were a terrible time for Honda reliability in general, with some vehicles being truly awful (Odyssey, I’m looking at you) Amazingly, a significant number of people still have no idea.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (06-20-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

detroitnews needs to proofread it a bit...which one is it, the Tahoe or the Sequoia?

Minivan: Kia Sedona
    Large SUV: Chevrolet Tahoe
    Toyota Sequoia
    Large premium SUV: Cadillac Escalade

I find these ratings totally irrelevant. All my co-workers/friends that have Kia's and Hyundai's run into problems of all kinds.
    Volvo at 28? Seriously? Nissan on 7? Are they on crack??

This is another reason to stop reading into JD crap that never translates into anything constructive into the real-world. People wont buy a Toyota cause it is on the 9th spot in initial quality ? LOL.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-22-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,165 Posts

I don't know how much people really care. So many people are married to the car brands and assume anything negative is because competing brands bought off the survey people. But Chevy's performance in recent years in IQS and long-term quality really is outstanding.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

ksr
    Thanks

My ATS has been great and I answered a JPD survey and a couple of other surveys about it (Auto Pacific and some other company). I gave it great scores because it has been great.

But I did have an issue recently (post survey). Not so much with the car, but with something else that is more annoying than a simple car problem. If something was wrong with the car, I can accept that this sort of thing can happen. My car was fine. But I wonder how many people trash Cadillac for what happened with me.

The fine folks at Cadillac sent out a software update to CUE. Since then, I've had issues with XM Radio and with my USB music library. When i called support, the cheery answer was, "Oh, just go to your dealer and have them look at it." Great, because it's not like I have a job or anything better to do! Since the update, my XM Radio often says that it's initializing or "tuner not available" for several minutes after starting the car. My stored XM favorites are sometimes unavailable. Then they'll come back. Or not. Or they'll be partially available and I actually have to re-select all the ones that are not available. With my USB, voice recognition wasn't recognizing album titles. I finally pulled the USB and cleared the index. The USB seems to be working well now, but XM is still iffy.

I like CUE. I think the interface is really easy to use. But it pisses me off when people in Michigan or Bangalore or wherever can transmit updates to my car (which was working fine) and screw things up. My car is my sanctuary, and while this may seem like a minor issue, it really has gotten under my skin. CUE sends out a monthly warning about distracted driving. This update has caused me more distraction than anything else in my driving time. Even at it's best, while the interface is fine, the programming behind the CUE interface has never been as good as what you'll get in an FCA product. My old Cherokee had great software. Cadillac should fire the CUE Clowns and poach the programmers from over at FCA.
    Last edited by ksr; 06-20-2019 at 08:18 AM.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (06-20-2019),BlackGTP (06-20-2019),richmond2000 (06-20-2019),rougeriver (06-22-2019),ryannel2003 (06-21-2019),tnmats (06-20-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    My ATS has been great and I answered a JPD survey and a couple of other surveys about it (Auto Pacific and some other company). I gave it great scores because it has been great.

But I did have an issue recently (post survey). Not so much with the car, but with something else that is more annoying than a simple car problem. If something was wrong with the car, I can accept that this sort of thing can happen. My car was fine. But I wonder how many people trash Cadillac for what happened with me.

The fine folks at Cadillac sent out a software update to CUE. Since then, I've had issues with XM Radio and with my USB music library. When i called support, the cheery answer was, "Oh, just go to your dealer and have them look at it." Great, because it's not like I have a job or anything better to do! Since the update, my XM Radio often says that it's initializing or "tuner not available" for several minutes after starting the car. My stored XM favorites are sometimes unavailable. Then they'll come back. Or not. Or they'll be partially available and I actually have to re-select all the ones that are not available. With my USB, voice recognition wasn't recognizing album titles. I finally pulled the USB and cleared the index. The USB seems to be working well now, but XM is still iffy.

I like CUE. I think the interface is really easy to use. But it pisses me off when people in Michigan or Bangalore or wherever can transmit updates to my car (which was working fine) and screw things up. My car is my sanctuary, and while this may seem like a minor issue, it really has gotten under my skin. CUE sends out a monthly warning about distracted driving. This update has caused me more distraction than anything else in my driving time. Even at it's best, while the interface is fine, the programming behind the CUE interface has never been as good as what you'll get in an FCA product. My old Cherokee had great software. Cadillac should fire the CUE Clowns and poach the programmers from over at FCA.
    Call Tesla and ask for an over-the-air update!

Can't Caddy do that? No?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Call Tesla and ask for an over-the-air update!

Can't Caddy do that? No?
    The over-the-air update is the source of my problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 581 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Have not had one issue with my XT5 in the first 2 years. Very well made vehicle, that's why I bought the lease out.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Once you get below 1 problem per hundred the study becomes completely meaningless. . Splitting tenths has no relevance to the real world.
    Quality across the board....all manufacturers...has never been better. Infotainment systems account for most of the demerits and that is a personal preference issue, not a defect.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to criticalmass For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-21-2019),ksr (06-20-2019),Neanderthal (06-20-2019),richmond2000 (06-20-2019),rougeriver (06-22-2019),SP1966 (06-20-2019),Z Fury (06-24-2019)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast