GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac May Go All Electric By 2025 To Chase Tesla

12K views 110 replies 34 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 ·
Automotive News
November 18, 2020

General Motors plans to roll out details of an expanded and accelerated electric vehicle strategy on Thursday in an effort to convince investors it can be a serious competitor to Tesla Inc., people familiar with the plans told Reuters.

GM CEO Mary Barra, who is scheduled to speak at a conference hosted by Barclays, is expected to say the automaker is ready to spend more on electric models by 2025 than the $20 billion previously outlined, the sources said.

Supplier sources said previous plans to make the Cadillac brand all electric by 2030 are being sped up, possibly to 2025, and other sources said that acceleration will be repeated in other brands and in segments such as commercial vans.

Last week, a GM executive said the company had pulled forward the rollout of two "major" EV programs, and GM officials have touted the faster 18-month development time for the Hummer truck.

Tesla's soaring market capitalization, and growing pressure from regulators to phase out carbon-emitting engines, has put pressure on established automakers to respond to investors who view their internal combustion lineups as outmoded and doomed in the long run.

Asked about the Thursday appearance, a GM spokeswoman called talk of increased spending speculative and declined to give details.
GM Stock
Closed: Nov 18, 9:03 AM EST · $ 41.98
Pre-market 42.33 +0.35 (0.83%)

See less See more
#3 ·
The future is apparently arriving at GM sooner than later, thanks to Tesla & Company.
The "thanks" should actually go to government officials throughout the globe who have announced bans on the sale of new gasoline and diesel powered motor cars along with other globaloney warming related regulatory actions. That's what underlies real automakers' decisions (including General Motors) to accelerate their plans for EV deployment.

#4 ·
If Ultium is truly a revolutionary advancement in EV technology (and not just marketing hype), then going all in makes eminent sense especially with President-Elect Biden's statements to rejoin the Paris Agreement after January 20th.

#12 ·
Definitely will be exciting.

I'm going with there must be a profitable business model supporting this rapid change. I can see the old GM rushing things out with no path to profitability, but I find it hard to believe MB would do such a thing. Or, could be that these generation of electrics will produce a smaller loss than projected from the existing ICE chassis vehicles - I assume the alpha vehicles make little or no profits, not sure about the CUV's on shared chassis. I assume any BEV Escalade can command such a high price that they'll be profitable no matter what.

#18 ·
Until a national charging infrastructure is put in place, I can't see everybody wanting to move to EVs. Maybe this works in the congested states on the west and east coasts, but middle America is not close to being ready for this. Range anxiety and slow charging times will keep people away until viable solutions are put into place.

Nobody wants to spend 30 minutes waiting for a charge while on a road trip. Somebody needs to partner up with McDonalds or Subway or Chick-fil-A and figure out a way to put chargers at every location. Then offer free/cheap charges with a meal purchase. But converting a crappy gas station to an EV charging station isn't going to work.

#20 ·
Until a national charging infrastructure is put in place, I can't see everybody wanting to move to EVs. Maybe this works in the congested states on the west and east coasts, but middle America is not close to being ready for this. Range anxiety and slow charging times will keep people away until viable solutions are put into place.
One of my very good buddies bought a Tesla Model S P75D in California and drove it back to Nebraska where he lives, it wasn't a problem going from charger to charger to charger. He even stopped here in Western Colorado and was able to charge it at our local mall (for free). And when he got it back to Omaha he just charges it in his garage at night. I don't see the charging infrastructure as a problem at all.

Now getting them serviced is another story, luckily his has been rock solid reliable.

#36 · (Edited)
Indeed. There are always bumps in the road, unforeseen by those wearing rose-tinted glasses and thinking that there's an electric ecstatic nirvana just around the corner. The toxic qualities of windmill parts and solar panels will one day be revealed, as if it's a big surprise to anyone but the la-la-land inhabitants.

Problems with the electric vehicles themselves may crop up. It took 70 years before hominids decided to cut down on the emissions from petrol mills. And go from leaded gas to unleaded. Stuff happens. Even the brilliant :rolleyes: Bill Gates can't foresee everything.

Petrol is not going away for a long long time. Unless the Enlightened Ones opt out of central heat and air, flying, electricity, food production...:fall:

The hatred for petrol is just part of the enlightened hatred of Western Civilization. No petrol, no ICE, no Henry Ford, no John D. Rockefeller, it would still be 1890. Hitch up them hosses, Hoss!

I’ve said it before - I’m not giving up my manual transmission, let alone gasoline internal combustion engine.

Ford just announced an all new 6.8 liter V8 for future Mustang and F-150s.

Jeep just announced they’re throwing the 392 under the hood of the Wrangler. It might only be available from the factory with the 8 speed auto but I guarantee you Dennis Collins’ crew (among others) has the 6 speed conversion all worked out already.

I love my Camaro SS and would prefer to stay with GM my whole life but apparently Mary Barra doesn’t care about us deplorable Neanderthals :yup:
Neanderthal are an advanced species, only underinformed primates think they know otherwise. Consider the title an honor. :cool:

BTW, does anyone know what Queen Mary's daily driver is?

So what happens when all the cars are going electric and carbon still does not decrease? Then what, we start killing animals and people? Electric cars use far more power to build and dispose of. This is just like the idiots who thought plastic bags were going to be recycled as well as bottles. This is fine to have them as a alternative but thinking its going to stop carbon in the air is pipe dream. One Volcano going off massively will create more carbon than humans can create in 10 years. Also the weather is not going to change because of any of this. Weather does what it does and one country is not going to change the weather for the globe. Its just all nonsense and way for certain people to rip off working people.
The Enlightened Ones will find a way to blame the oil industry and Western Civilization. They hate Western Civ, they love Communist China, it will always be so. Facts and reality are not part of the discussion. Emotions rule. Logic is being erased from our schools.

BTW, carbon is GOOD. No carbon, no life. EASY button.

Yep. There's a lot of garbage in the minds of the tree huggers. They use only part of the science that fits their narrative. The other parts that complete the pictures, thus making their narrative moot, they ignore or don't want you using.

If America cleaned up every ounce of every kind of pollution our country puts out at the current rate, that would basically eliminate about 15% of the entire world's pollution.

Where they gonna go after that? Good luck getting India and China under control lol

#30 · (Edited)
I’ve said it before - I’m not giving up my manual transmission, let alone gasoline internal combustion engine.

Ford just announced an all new 6.8 liter V8 for future Mustang and F-150s.

Jeep just announced they’re throwing the 392 under the hood of the Wrangler. It might only be available from the factory with the 8 speed auto but I guarantee you Dennis Collins’ crew (among others) has the 6 speed conversion all worked out already.

I love my Camaro SS and would prefer to stay with GM my whole life but apparently Mary Barra doesn’t care about us deplorable Neanderthals :yup:

#34 ·
So what happens when all the cars are going electric and carbon still does not decrease? Then what, we start killing animals and people? Electric cars use far more power to build and dispose of. This is just like the idiots who thought plastic bags were going to be recycled as well as bottles. This is fine to have them as a alternative but thinking its going to stop carbon in the air is pipe dream. One Volcano going off massively will create more carbon than humans can create in 10 years. Also the weather is not going to change because of any of this. Weather does what it does and one country is not going to change the weather for the globe. Its just all nonsense and way for certain people to rip off working people.

#35 ·
Yep. There's a lot of garbage in the minds of the tree huggers. They use only part of the science that fits their narrative. The other parts that complete the pictures, thus making their narrative moot, they ignore or don't want you using.

If America cleaned up every ounce of every kind of pollution our country puts out at the current rate, that would basically eliminate about 15% of the entire world's pollution.

Where they gonna go after that? Good luck getting India and China under control lol

#41 ·
Just an FYI...

There are approximately 273.6 million vehicles registered in the USA. About 6M new vehicles are sold each year. If the USA went all electric today, it would still take 15-20 years to put a significant dent in the ICE population. >40 years to replace all of them. I'd bet that we're still 20 years away from EVs being the majority of new car sales.

#46 ·
Yeah that's wrong. US sales are about 17m a year. And that 173m figure includes busses, large commercial trucks, motor homes and motorcycles. And no manufacturer is going to produce ICE cars until the date their sales will be banned, they will stop years before as they invest all their capital in the future technology and start to convert their plants to EV production.

#80 ·
If all the automakers build the electrics that they say they will by 2025, it will be interesting to see how they all split the total actual "sold" units. Somebody is in for a huge awakening when the market is about 10% of estimates. States like California who ban new ICE vehicles will assure used car prices are sky high and new car dealer counts tumble.
There seems to me to be a HUGE disconnect between BEV forecasts and infrastructure change forecasts.

#103 ·
The gang at Caddy Society are saying all current ICE Caddys will still be for sale in 2025:

https://cadillacsociety.com/2020/12...lineup-will-likely-be-fully-electric-by-2025/

In other words the EVs will be added to the ICEs not replace them, at least initially. If this is correct, CT4/CT5 doesn’t die in 2023/2024 as has been rumored.

“Though Caddy’s forthcoming EV revolution appears to be just over the horizon, it won’t spell the discontinuation of models powered by internal combustion engines, at least not by 2025.”

Of course the ICEs will eventually die off, but doing it this way would let Caddy manage the transition over the years. Again, assuming this is correct.

#108 ·
That sounds like the smart move. Keeping the ICE around for a time as customers and buyers slowly get used to this supposed EV takeover of our way of transport. I think it's going to be well after 2025 before they fully get there though, or risk "cutting their nose off in spite of the face" as they say sort of.....

#104 ·
Ed has supplier level information that has 2023 as a drop dead date on the CT4/5...remember LGR will undergo a retooling to convert to 100% EV production by 2024. I take that information that we already know over this general article that doesn't mention those two specifically as staying on for 2025. If anything, it points to the more logical conclusion that their crossovers XT4/5/6 are the most likely to make it to 2025.

#105 ·
Thanks for the info, yes I had seen Ed’s posts about 2023. I don’t remember hearing LGR was definitely going EV, is that officially announced at this point? The stuff I’ve seen says it’s possible but not a done deal.

gm authority dot com/blog/2020/07/general-motors-may-begin-building-evs-at-lansing-grand-river-plant-by-2024/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.