Cadillac Lyriq EV Reveal - August 6th at 7pm EST - Page 11

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Lyriq EV Reveal - August 6th at 7pm EST

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,050 Times in 1,850 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Re: Cadillac Lyriq EV Reveal - August 6th at 7pm EST

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    100% Agree. More photos at Caddy site:

https://www.cadillac.com/showcar/lyriq
    The rear has a funky quality, but imo in a very good way. It stands out from the crowd like a Land Rover LR3/4 and that distinctiveness will grow on people. When it came out LR3 then LR4 were very polarizing. By the time LR3/4 left production many more people loved how they looked. That’ll be true for the Lyriq I’m sure.
    Last edited by SKH; 08-06-2020 at 07:03 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

dannyg (08-06-2020),Scrambler (08-07-2020),Ute (08-06-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
    The stance is good. I don't mind the front, though it looks busy with all those lines. The back, on the other hand, is horrible.
    Couldn’t disagree more...it’s elegant and powerful looking...not everything luxury needs to be Nautiasairgator-esque

Thanks
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 791 Posts

I'm not feeling this. I like the interior,but the exterior to me looks like the designers started with an XT-4 and twisted and contorted it from there.....

And the rear of the LYRIQ......hard pass. The LYRIQ not poster or wallpaper material for me.

I think I'm done with Cadillac after this reveal.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,465 Posts

The stance is good. I don't mind the front, though it looks busy with all those lines. The back, on the other hand, is horrible.
    The back isn't too bad...I would get rid of the lower vertical strip on the prod model. In the front I particularly like the glowing badge....its tacky in a good way, I'd change the LED pattern on the grille to mimic the current gen's grille patterns, this pattern on the concept is too busy. On the interior, I love Cadillac's take on the "Glued on iPad" dash...looks uniquely Cadillac and not Chevy+ like the CT4/5. I'd like to see the door detailing make it to prod w/ unique switchgear and not an homage to the concept w/ partsbin switchgear like they've done in the past. Overall solid effort but it is a concept, so I'll temper expectations a little.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 564 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by samesun View Post
    Couldn’t disagree more...it’s elegant and powerful looking...not everything luxury needs to be Nautiasairgator-esque
    I said I like this stance of it - I agree it does have an elegant shape to it, until you get to the back end. I never said anything about any Lincoln model, so not sure why you brought those up.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    The back isn't too bad...I would get rid of the lower vertical strip on the prod model. In the front I particularly like the glowing badge....its tacky in a good way, I'd change the LED pattern on the grille to mimic the current gen's grille patterns, this pattern on the concept is too busy. On the interior, I love Cadillac's take on the "Glued on iPad" dash...looks uniquely Cadillac and not Chevy+ like the CT4/5. I'd like to see the door detailing make it to prod w/ unique switchgear and not an homage to the concept w/ partsbin switchgear like they've done in the past. Overall solid effort but it is a concept, so I'll temper expectations a little.
    The interior does look nice, but I wonder how much of it (mostly the details) will make it to production.

---

I found their inspiration for the rear end:

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Wow, that was a cringe-fest, in terms of the staging of the reveal. Awkward beyond belief, the guy taking questions for the QA was sweating and looked like he just rolled out of bed. The panel responses were pretty wooden, except for the marketing chic.

It looks....good. I'm not sure its as revolutionary as they claim. It basically looks exactly like what I would expect a new cadillac to look like. Not that different than an XT4. The back is a little busy, but the front looks nice and its overall not offensive. It sort of looks like the Nissan Ariya. I think designers are really going for impactful, vertical design elements across the board, which is traditionally a cadillac thing but everyone's doing it these days. It looks way better than an ID4 thats for sure. But I think I actually prefer the lower ground clearance and more sports-car design elements of the mach-e. Still, it looks "cadillac". One thing I will say though is that I'm not a fan of the grey color they used, nor the monotonous interior. Everything is black and metallic. That's it. And that is not what I think of when I think cadillac. I think of natural hues like green and brown. Natural tanned leather interiors, comfort, warm ambient lighting, etc. This thing looks and feels like a stainless steel kitchen appliance. Nice, but not exactly warm and inviting. Little things, like using a black and white cadillac logo instead of the colored one. I don't like that. I want a warm, colorful experience not a cold trip into an industrial server room full of flashing lights. The interior shots were just painful for me to watch. Oddly shaped seats surrounded by screens and blue lights is absolutely not my thing. I believe the interior is very "concept" right now and I believe it will improve significantly.

On the engineering side, we got basically no information. 300-ish miles? That's not going to be competitive in 2 years when it goes into production. 150kw DCFC? Not going to be competitive. I think GM is going for battery reliability, safety, and longevity with that, which is fine. I don't need 300kw charging. But still, I would think they could push things a little more. Especially range...it really should be above 350 miles for a vehicle in this class. But GM tends to under-promise and over-deliver, so I'm content to watch and wait. 2 years until production is a very long time. I'm guessing in about a year the stats will get a bump to generate more hype closer to actual production.

At the end of the day, I'm just not a cadillac customer. I'm a cadillac observer, but not a buyer. I could afford one, but I'm really not interested in extreme design elements or the latest self-driving tech. I'm not interested in the metallic speaker coverings they spent 3 months thinking about, or other such gimmicks. I want a buttoned down, high performance vehicle that is comfortable and inviting, without extraneous bells and whistles. I'd love to see a Chevrolet branded performance electric CUV that looks like a Camaro and is aimed at every-day car enthusiasts, more akin to Ford's mustang mach-e. Mark Reuss was very avoidant when asked about performance and "what its like to drive". My first thought was that he's never driven one because they don't have a driveable prototype that passes safety checks. He kept on saying "its so customizable" but absolutely refused to say anything about it, just that they could "do whatever they want with it." Which I guess is true, technically. I just would've liked to hear more.

Ford's extended documentary about the inception and design of the mustang mach-e was phenomenal compared to this reveal. Ford's reveal left me inspired and feeling like they really went all out to make their Mach-e a true sports car in a CUV package. They had tons of interviews with the team, etc. This GM reveal read like a cardboard script read-through. It was super awkward which I think is a little strange. The marketing director person, female in the middle, was the best voice on the stage.

You can just tell that its very early days and they probably literally just built the show car. Virtually every shot of the car was CGI. They had the show car on stage, but no one touched it, no doors were opened. Whereas for the mustang mach-e reveal, they had tons of footage of it tearing around tracks, etc. This all tells me that GM is just straight up behind on this vehicle. I'm not worried and I'm sure it will come out when they say it will, but they aren't close at all.

For cadillac buyers, I think it checks a lot of the right boxes but its very "concept-y". I'm pretty skeptical of the limited information on specs at this point, and they will have to do a lot better if they want to be competitive. It won't sell just because "its a cadillac". Every manufacturer will have a from-scratch EV crossover on the market in that 2022-2023 time frame, and the Lyriq will simply have to be better, to have any chance. I don't see anyone rushing to place a reservation for this vehicle, that's my honest opinion. But that doesn't mean it won't be stellar

10. The Following User Says Thank You to protovack For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (08-07-2020)

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,050 Times in 1,850 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    I'm not feeling this. I like the interior,but the exterior to me looks like the designers started with an XT-4 and twisted and contorted it from there.....

And the rear of the LYRIQ......hard pass. The LYRIQ not poster or wallpaper material for me.

I think I'm done with Cadillac after this reveal.
    Let me wish you God Speed as you leave the Cadillac forums.
    Last edited by SKH; 08-06-2020 at 09:08 PM.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by protovack View Post
    Wow, that was a cringe-fest, in terms of the staging of the reveal. Awkward beyond belief, the guy taking questions for the QA was sweating and looked like he just rolled out of bed. The panel responses were pretty wooden, except for the marketing chic.
    True, but Elon Musk is probably one of the worst presenters I've ever seen. He's lucky he has great products to show. And try not to be sexist, please.

It looks....good. I'm not sure its as revolutionary as they claim. It basically looks exactly like what I would expect a new cadillac to look like. Not that different than an XT4. The back is a little busy, but the front looks nice and its overall not offensive. It sort of looks like the Nissan Ariya. I think designers are really going for impactful, vertical design elements across the board, which is traditionally a cadillac thing but everyone's doing it these days. It looks way better than an ID4 thats for sure. But I think I actually prefer the lower ground clearance and more sports-car design elements of the mach-e. Still, it looks "cadillac". One thing I will say though is that I'm not a fan of the grey color they used, nor the monotonous interior. Everything is black and metallic. That's it. And that is not what I think of when I think cadillac. I think of natural hues like green and brown. Natural tanned leather interiors, comfort, warm ambient lighting, etc. This thing looks and feels like a stainless steel kitchen appliance. Nice, but not exactly warm and inviting. Little things, like using a black and white cadillac logo instead of the colored one. I don't like that. I want a warm, colorful experience not a cold trip into an industrial server room full of flashing lights. The interior shots were just painful for me to watch. Oddly shaped seats surrounded by screens and blue lights is absolutely not my thing. I believe the interior is very "concept" right now and I believe it will improve significantly.
    I'm sure that it will come in other colors. But silver is a popular color (check Mercedes). One interesting question to the designer was why they didn't make a really radical design since the battery & electric tech means you could build all kinds of shapes for a car. He sort of answered it but I think the real answer is that they want something forward thinking but still familiar to the buyer. There are plenty of examples over the last 100 years of car designs ahead of their times that turned off buyers.

I like the bespoke dial for the UI system. That needs to look and feel really expensive since your fingers will be on it. The analogy during the demo was like a fine watch but I like the idea of a high end piece of home audio equipment. And the updated HUD is pretty cool. GM has been building HUDs into cars (and Cadillacs) for years. I've never understood why Tesla doesn't do this since Musk loves minimalistic dash design.

I don't think the thin seats will see production, at least not quite like that. That's show car stuff. The once piece OLED dash certainly will.

The monochromatic Cadillac logo has been done before....in the late 50s and again for a short time in the 70s. And you may not like the lit up logo but Mercedes, Lincoln and others have been itching to do this for years. The problem? Regulations.

On the engineering side, we got basically no information. 300-ish miles? That's not going to be competitive in 2 years when it goes into production. 150kw DCFC? Not going to be competitive. I think GM is going for battery reliability, safety, and longevity with that, which is fine. I don't need 300kw charging. But still, I would think they could push things a little more. Especially range...it really should be above 350 miles for a vehicle in this class. But GM tends to under-promise and over-deliver, so I'm content to watch and wait. 2 years until production is a very long time. I'm guessing in about a year the stats will get a bump to generate more hype closer to actual production.
    I think they are intentionally sandbagging the range stats since they are two years away and they probably don't want to give away everything they think the product may be. What you said of underpromise and overdeliver makes sense. I agree on 150kw DCFC. GM is super conservative and don't want to be on the news with battery fires like Tesla began their life. It probably won't stay that way and i imagine there are some limitations in battery life if you juice the charging capability too much. But competition is good here....we'll see what happens between now and then. 17 kw of charging in the home is good....pretty much the max you can get away with in residential 220v charging.

At the end of the day, I'm just not a cadillac customer. I'm a cadillac observer, but not a buyer. I could afford one, but I'm really not interested in extreme design elements or the latest self-driving tech. I'm not interested in the metallic speaker coverings they spent 3 months thinking about, or other such gimmicks. I want a buttoned down, high performance vehicle that is comfortable and inviting, without extraneous bells and whistles. I'd love to see a Chevrolet branded performance electric CUV that looks like a Camaro and is aimed at every-day car enthusiasts, more akin to Ford's mustang mach-e. Mark Reuss was very avoidant when asked about performance and "what its like to drive". My first thought was that he's never driven one because they don't have a driveable prototype that passes safety checks. He kept on saying "its so customizable" but absolutely refused to say anything about it, just that they could "do whatever they want with it." Which I guess is true, technically. I just would've liked to hear more.
    Actually, I do want Cadillac to sweat the details of things like speaker coverings since their competition certainly does (see: Burmeister radios in Mercedes). And this has been Cadillac's problem of recent years.....nice execution for some things only to fall down on details their competition doesn't miss. Even Lincoln got the memo with their current products. And as for performance, it's not that hard to build a high performance electric baby buggy. Anything below 4 seconds 0-60 is more than most people need. I'm thinking the base car will be low-5s with the V-series car (assuming they use that branding) will be 3.5 or less. One thing I'm looking forward to is GM's magnetic shocks in an EV application. That would be an industry first and with an electrical system more than 12 volts, you could really make some progress with a new system they aren't talking about yet.

Ford's extended documentary about the inception and design of the mustang mach-e was phenomenal compared to this reveal. Ford's reveal left me inspired and feeling like they really went all out to make their Mach-e a true sports car in a CUV package. They had tons of interviews with the team, etc. This GM reveal read like a cardboard script read-through. It was super awkward which I think is a little strange. The marketing director person, female in the middle, was the best voice on the stage.

You can just tell that its very early days and they probably literally just built the show car. Virtually every shot of the car was CGI. They had the show car on stage, but no one touched it, no doors were opened. Whereas for the mustang mach-e reveal, they had tons of footage of it tearing around tracks, etc. This all tells me that GM is just straight up behind on this vehicle. I'm not worried and I'm sure it will come out when they say it will, but they aren't close at all.
    Ford's Mustang-E is a lot closer to market.

For cadillac buyers, I think it checks a lot of the right boxes but its very "concept-y". I'm pretty skeptical of the limited information on specs at this point, and they will have to do a lot better if they want to be competitive. It won't sell just because "its a cadillac". Every manufacturer will have a from-scratch EV crossover on the market in that 2022-2023 time frame, and the Lyriq will simply have to be better, to have any chance. I don't see anyone rushing to place a reservation for this vehicle, that's my honest opinion. But that doesn't mean it won't be stellar
    The car is surprisingly similar to the concept renderings we got a while back so it looks like they are actually trying to build this car. I'm sure the base model will have smaller wheels and some other design choices. But I wouldn't be surprised to see pretty much this vehicle in showrooms.
    Last edited by Sevenfeet; 08-06-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

I posted it in the other Lyriq thread, but figured I'd post it here as well....

So I did some plastic surgery to the rear end and am curious what you guys think....

My update included extending the taillight upward to the upper greenhouse chrome strip and giving it a "fin" at the top to match the cut line of the chrome strip. I then made the portion of the d-pillar behind the taillight black to emphasize the unique upright body color d-pillar.

I also felt like there were a lot of unnecessary "tiers" or "levels" of lines for the sake of lines, so I cleaned it up by moving the license plate opening upward to underneath the main body "waistline" crease (the one that extends around the vehicle). Following this thought, I pulled the corner vertical lights up higher to reach this same "waistline"

This second variation takes the upper lights and makes them chrome - this effect can retain the unique upper+lower lighting signature combo I think they want to go for at night, while emphasizing the vertical fin taillights Cadillac is known for.

And here's the original for reference:

Here it is from the side profile, in the same order:

Update:

Update w/ chrome upper lights:

Original:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

4gm (08-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    Let me wish you God Speed as you leave the Cadillac forums.
    I'll still be here sugar buns,don't get too excited.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

So I did some plastic surgery to the rear end and am curious what you guys think....

My update included extending the taillight upward to the upper greenhouse chrome strip and giving it a "fin" at the top to match the cut line of the chrome strip. I then made the portion of the d-pillar behind the taillight black to emphasize the unique upright body color d-pillar.

I also felt like there were a lot of unnecessary "tiers" or "levels" of lines for the sake of lines, so I cleaned it up by moving the license plate opening upward to underneath the main body "waistline" crease (the one that extends around the vehicle). Following this thought, I pulled the corner vertical lights up higher to reach this same "waistline"

I like this better no doubt.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpens For This Useful Post:

4gm (08-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,465 Posts

IMO the designers missed out on an opportunity to have a little more "fun" with the front end. Seeing how they're doing LED accents in the grille area, perhaps they should've included some baked in customization in pattern dependent on drive mode selected. For regular mode, a dashed LED pattern mimicking the current CT4/5 grille pattern and if "V" Mode is in use, the grille pattern changes to a LED mesh pattern like the V series cars. That would've been sick.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 683 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

So I did some plastic surgery to the rear end and am curious what you guys think...

Update:

Original:

The rear is so “sculpted” I think you’d really have to see it for real before drawing a final conclusion, but overall I prefer the original. But your blacked out version could be the Lyriq-V with a zillion hp!
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    The rear is so “sculpted” I think you’d really have to see it for real before drawing a final conclusion, but overall I prefer the original. But your blacked out version could be the Lyriq-V with a zillion hp!
    I feel it gets worse the closer you get.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-08-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,114 Times in 3,934 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

The vehicle has a very athletic stance

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements