GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac Introduces First-Ever CT5

29K views 426 replies 65 participants last post by  Envoy4Life 
#1 · (Edited)
Global debut of new American luxury sedan advances brand’s legacy by offering Super Cruise.
www.GMInsideNews.com
April 16, 2015
By: GMI Staff

NEW YORK – Cadillac recasts the concept of American Luxury with the global debut of the unrivaled 2020 CT5 sedan.

This all-new compact sedan advances the brand’s award-winning legacy with a distinctive fusion of design, performance and comfort, supported by Cadillac’s latest technologies — including Super Cruise1, the world’s first true hands-free driver assistance feature for limited-access freeways.

“The first-ever Cadillac CT5 showcases Cadillac’s unique expertise in crafting American luxury sedans,” said Steve Carlisle, Cadillac president. “Its details elevate every drive and reward the senses.”

An all-new fastback design underscores the CT5’s refined ride, complemented with a driver-centric interior that blends high technology and high-touch elements. Luxury and Sport models allow customers to tailor the car to their style preferences with unique design and trim.

“Cadillac is dedicated to building the world’s most exhilarating luxury sedans,” said Carlisle. “Every element of the CT5 is focused on delivering an unrivaled experience, from the 10-speed transmission to Cadillac’s Super Cruise technology. The expansion of Super Cruise to CT5 reinforces our commitment to bringing the most innovative technologies to our customers.”

Cadillac CT5’s Super Cruise technology will be available in calendar year 2020 on select models.

CT5 highlights:

• At launch, the model range will include Luxury, Premium Luxury and Sport, with a Platinum package available on Premium Luxury and Sport models.
  • A 2.0L Twin-Scroll Turbo engine is standard and Cadillac’s 3.0L Twin-Turbo V-6 is available on Premium Luxury and Sport models. Unique sound calibrations are tuned with the engines and each is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission.
  • The driving dynamics build on Cadillac’s award-winning RWD architecture and include standard Driver Mode Control. AWD is available.
  • The latest Cadillac user experience with a large 10-inch-diagonal screen, as well as intuitive controls, including a rotary controller.
  • A host of comfort and convenience features such as standard Adaptive Remote Start, cabin air purification ionizer and available front-seat lumbar massage.
  • Driver awareness technologies include standard Safety Alert Seat and Cadillac’s latest generation available Rear Camera Mirror with zoom and tilt adjustment.
  • Standard driver assistance technologies include Forward Collision Alert, Low Speed Forward Automatic Emergency Braking3 and Front Pedestrian Braking.
  • Available driver assistance technologies including Advanced3 Adaptive Cruise Control, Enhanced Forward Automatic Emergency Braking, Automatic Parking Assist with Braking, HD Surround Vision with Recorder, Rear Pedestrian Detection and Alert, Reverse Automatic Braking and more.

A New Design Profile

With a fastback profile inspired by the Escala concept, the first-ever CT5 charts a new direction for Cadillac sedan design that leverages the natural proportional advantage of the vehicle’s rear-drive platform to communicate power, presence and performance.

“From every angle, the CT5 exudes athleticism, sophistication and confidence,” said Andrew Smith, executive director of global Cadillac design. “Cadillac’s signature hard-edge cues have evolved to a more sculptural and fluid expression of the brand’s design language.”

A long, 116-inch wheelbase (2,947 mm) and lengthened side glass accentuate the car’s long, low proportion and sweeping fastback profile. Body sculpturing, including taut character lines, contributes to the car’s strong stance and speaks to Cadillac’s legacy of craftsmanship and technology.

An all-LED exterior lighting strategy features signature vertical lights at all four corners of the vehicle.

Bright exterior accents and unique grilles and fascias distinguish the CT5 Luxury and Premium Luxury models, while the Sport model is differentiated by darker accents and performance-inspired details, including unique grilles, fascias, rocker extensions, spoiler and standard 19-inch wheels.

High-Tech and High-Touch Interior

CT5’s interior features elegant, wide surface lines and simple interfaces, focusing on quality, attention to detail, authenticity of materials and impeccable craftsmanship.

Everything from the instrument panel to the center display is focused on the driver and essential touch points, emphasizing control. That includes a prominent, 1080dp high-definition full-color 10-inch-diagonal touchscreen mounted high within the instrument panel for visibility.

FEATURE FOCUS: PLATINUM PACKAGE

The Premium Luxury and Sport models are available with a Platinum Package featuring an exclusive Sedona/Jet Black motif with Opus semi-aniline leather seating surfaces in Sedona Sauvage. These surfaces are distinguished with a custom, layered fading perforation pattern, fine contrasting seat piping and decorative chevron accents. Both front, heated, ventilated and lumbar massage seats feature additional bolstering and 18-way adjustability. The package complements the seats with upgraded leather-trimmed armrests and center console, unique carbon fiber decorative trim and a thicker-rimmed steering wheel with authentic magnesium paddle shifters and alloy pedals.

Intuitive Technology and Connectivity

CT5 delivers thoughtful technology integration by offering an intuitive in-vehicle experience with a heightened sense of control. This is provided in everything from vehicle controls that conform to the driver’s driving style to the latest, more personal Cadillac user experience, which provides more intuitive ways to interface with the system, including phone pairing via Near Field Communication and a new rotary controller.

CT5 also features standard Adaptive Remote Start and an available hands-free power-release decklid to further customers’ convenience and comfort. Adaptive Remote Start automatically activates features such as the available adaptive heated/ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel and other climate systems, depending on the temperature. The hands-free decklid uses a motion sensor with Cadillac crest target projection that allows customers to activate the trunk release with their foot, supporting easy access.

FEATURE FOCUS: SUPER CRUISE

Cadillac demonstrates its commitment to technology by bringing the Super Cruise driver assistance feature to the CT5. Cadillac’s Super Cruise driver assistance feature enables customers to drive hands-free on more than 130,000 miles of limited-access freeways in the U.S. and Canada, using LiDAR map data, high-precision GPS, a state-of-the-art driver attention system and a network of camera and radar sensors. The driver attention system helps keep drivers engaged by detecting and signaling when drivers need to pay more attention to the road.

Turbocharged Performance

CT5 is powered by a 2.0L Twin-Scroll Turbo engine and 10-speed automatic transmission with Electronic Precision Shift. This standard propulsion combination offers responsive off-the-line performance with excellent low-end torque. The twin-scroll turbocharger and a unique three-step sliding camshaft help the engine optimize performance across the rpm band for a greater feeling of on-demand power at all speeds.

Cadillac’s powerful 3.0L Twin Turbo V-6 is available on Premium Luxury and Sport models, rated at an estimated 335 hp (250 kw) and 400 lb-ft of torque (542 Nm)5. Low-inertia turbochargers and a manifold-integrated liquid-to-air intercooling system help the engine produce exceptional power with virtually no lag and sustain it across most of the rpm band. Like the 2.0L Turbo, it is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission with Electronic Precision Shift.

Both engines employ technologies such as direct injection, camshaft phasing, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and automatic stop/start to balance performance, refinement and efficiency. Sound tuning via mechanical and electronic sources contributes to CT5’s optimized effect on the senses, with engine sounds tuned to augment the driving experience in a refined manner, while helping to minimize unwanted noise in the cabin.

Evolved Driving Dynamics

Building on the strengths of the superb RWD architecture that underpins Cadillac’s award-winning rear-wheel-drive sedans, the first-ever CT5 is designed to deliver an exhilarating driving experience while maintaining the brand’s signature blend of performance, comfort and refinement.

Evolutionary enhancements of the front and rear suspensions, including Cadillac’s signature double-pivot MacPherson-type front suspension, are designed to improve road isolation and driver feedback. At the rear, a five-link independent suspension contributes to the car’s excellent feeling of control.

Additional chassis and driving dynamics features:

• Standard Bosch premium electric, rack-mounted power steering system.
  • Capable, confident and precise eBoost brakes.
  • Brembo front brakes are standard on the Sport model.
  • Standard ZF MVS passive dampers.
  • All-wheel drive is available on all models.

Standard customer-selectable drive modes allow CT5 to adapt even better to driver preferences and changing road conditions. The modes — Tour, Sport, Snow/Ice and new My Mode — can alter the calibrations for transmission shifting, steering and brake feel, front/rear torque split (with the available AWD system) and vehicle sound character to customize the driving experience.

CT5 can handle a variety of road conditions no matter the climate, thanks to all-wheel drive available on every model along with a diverse range of tire choices, including 19-inch all-season run-flat tires and 18-inch Michelin self-seal tires. All tire options allow drivers to continue driving during most punctures that would sideline conventional tires, for immediate replacement/repair.

Coming Soon

The 2020 CT5 makes its public debut at the New York International Auto Show April 19-28 and will be available for ordering this fall. It will be manufactured at GM’s Lansing Grand River facility, which previously received a $211 million investment to build the next-generation Cadillac sedans. Pricing and additional information will be announced closer to the start of production.

Additional Images of 2020 CT5 Premium Luxury

2020 CT5 Sport​

See less See more
#73 ·
I think it's a tasteful design throughout, nicely proportioned and detailed. The C-Pillar is still weird, but I can be convinced it works with the design from other angles. Surprised the instrument panel is part old-school. It does look dated compared to Mercedes or Audi, it's hard to get around the fact that Caddy design and technology just isn't up to the state-of-the-art, but I suspect that's also reflected in the pricing. It definitely won't sell well, but those looking to keep buying a Caddy sedan will have something new.

#74 ·
I really want to like it but that greenhouse just ruins what to my eyes is an otherwise great looking car. The roofline reminds me of the original BMW GT which I always thought was ugly as hell. I love the front, back, and interior! I've been really down on Cadillac interior design, it just doesn't resonate with me, but this is really nice!

Oh, about that iPad tacked on the dash! LOLOLOLOL!

#76 · (Edited)
Some more observations now that I've had a little more time to study the cars:

- Looks like they got rid of some of the gimmicks on the CTS like the power cupholder cover and the power glovebox

- I generally like the exterior look of the sport more than the luxury, but I like the interior of the luxury better than the sport.

- I really wish they hadn't tacked that spoiler on the sport. It's silly and unnecessary and looks, well, tacked on.

- I'm not a big fan of the clear lens taillights on the sport.

- It looks like the back seat has easy access LATCH points. This is something I really appreciate considering how hard it is to hook up to them in my CTS.

- The font on the nav screen finally matches the font on the rest of the dash.

- Looks like they added a couple more reverse sensors in the back bumper.

- As usual for GM, no center seat headrest in the back.

#81 · (Edited)
I'll have to still see it in person to give a final judgement on the exterior. I looks ok, but it looks......funny. Either the belt line should be higher or that C-pillar is distracting my eyes from flowing over the profile and belt line design. maybe it needs a bit more trunk. I don't know.

The interior on the other hand looks to be top rate. I'll give the interior an A-. Very nice design compared to its competitors. I have just 2 picky gripes. The black plastic or leather surrounding the entertainment screen should have been wood/carbon fiber to add additional attention to detail for a more warm feel and I also think the shifter should move back and a bit to the left. Place the cup holders in front of the shift so passangers drinks can be on the respective sides and place the entertainment knob in the cup holders place. Very small complaints, but this may be the best interior GM has designed in my opinion.

#89 ·
Overall looks really good, I can’t wait to see the famous C pillar in person next week at NYAS some time. Wish I could go sooner!

My reading of the Press Release is the base Lux trim comes with cloth since “Leather appointed seats” is listed under Prem Lux.

I’m not a fan of iPad-on-dash look, but by angling it back and making it not just a boring rectangle it looks better than most maybe all.

Really liking the exterior/interior colors.

Plus I like the mixed analog/digital gauges with what looks like all-digital available as option. Automobile Mag guy complements the Caddy for analog speedo/tach.
Good on him.

#91 ·
So I wonder if Cadillac’s plan is to get the higher end D buyers and lower end E buyers to consider CT5, and eventually CT4 would go after the higher end C buyer and the lower end D buyer?

So ultimately CT4 and CT5 would each straddle two segments, (between them sharing the D segment) and effectively they would be the tweeners that everyone and their Mothers keeps talking about.

#97 ·
From what I can tell the Cadillac line-up will fall between the cars produced by the three German brands and price wise will fall like this.

CT4 = 2 series
CT5 = 3 series
CT6 = 5 series

While size wise the CT4 will likely be between the 2 and 3 with the CT5 coming between 3 and 5 and the CT6 being between 5 and 7 series sedans. Though this CT5 seems to be right on the size mark of the E class/5 series/ and Audi A6 this should give Cadillac a hand up when those next generations grow in size though the current Audi A6 is over 74 inches wide. Considering the extra width it is impressive that this car in base form has the same mass as the CTS (3,660 vs 3,652), to be honest I don't know what Cadillac is trying to do here as the size of this CT5 doesn't really make sense as a tweener however according to what is being said they are aiming this at the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, and Mercedes C class.

#98 ·
I have never in my life seen luxury automakers who downrate their 4 cylinder turbos from generation to generation. That better be the smoothest 237 hp one can even begin to experience or there had better be some revised ECU calibrations before launch. This car needs at the bare minimum 272 hp, and 295 lb ft. Even very conservative hp, and torque rating BMW claims a rated 295 lb ft from what is arguably the best entry luxury turbo 4 cylinder in all of the land!

Reactions: RedSkyBlackDream
#102 · (Edited)
I have never in my life seen luxury automakers who downrate their 4 cylinder turbos from generation to generation. That better be the smoothest 237 hp one can even begin to experience or there had better be some revised ECU calibrations before launch. This car needs at the bare minimum 272 hp, and 295 lb ft.
I'm guessing this version is tuned to get the best possible MPG from the CAFE tests. It might also perform better in everyday suburban driving if it doesn't at 4000+rpm. I've heard widely different reports on its quietness in the XT4.

The whole tweeter tag is ridiculous
It's supposed to be "tweaker," so you can drive around town for days all happy like the girls in the XT4 ad.

#106 ·
Massive Disappointment.....This is to compete with the 3 Series/ C Class/ A4........

The CT4 with the MB CLA and that segment....

So what is going to compete with the 5 Series/ E Class/ A6.......the CT6 ?

The TT 3.o will land later in a ....V Sport?......V ? or are they going to stick the 4.2 TT V8 in the V

They have no choice....the need the CT6.....

Is the Escala still coming ?........ What about the Coupe?

Cadillacs attempt to yet again reinvent itself is off to a bad start with an underwhelming group of vehicles including the XTs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.