Cadillac Explains CT5's C-Pillar - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Explains CT5's C-Pillar

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,262 Posts

Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    How much cash do U people think was saved fabricating a piece of dedicated plastic over a piece of glass? The statements here, not to mention the obsession over this teeny tiny piece of the car is unreal.
    I haven't been in the car. Would it even be a functioning window if it were glass? Can you see though it, or is it purely a trim piece? From the pics of the car, located where it is it appears to be only a trim piece. So why make it glass? if it is a high quality plastic like the piano black in some interiors, then it's just fine. There really wouldn't be a difference in appearance between glass and glossy piano black.

If is a truly bizarre obsession.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

megeebee (04-28-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    I haven't been in the car. Would it even be a functioning window if it were glass? Can you see though it, or is it purely a trim piece? From the pics of the car, located where it is it appears to be only a trim piece. So why make it glass? if it is a high quality plastic like the piano black in some interiors, then it's just fine. There really wouldn't be a difference in appearance between glass and glossy piano black.

Like Glenn Close boiling a rabbit in a pot obsessive.

Here it is.. if it were glass.. one would have to be a rubber neck to contortion their head far enough back that they could see out of it

and here it is up close. I see zero need to obsess over it like this.. but alas.. if one of the German companies came out with it U'd never here a peep from the usual suspects.

My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special

Thanks

and apparently this is now the epitome of Good Looking mid-sized luxury :

My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

If they built the Elmiraj or Ciel, it would be very expensive. And because of that, it won't sell. And the whining about price here on GMI will be epic (which would be fun to read if nothing else).
    There's an old truism in the auto biz: it doesn't cost any more to design an attractive car than it does to design an unattractive car. There is no reason that Cadillac could not release a car with the styling of the Elmiraj or Ciel, for some inexplicable reason Cadillac chose not to. Meanwhile, they've spent more than a decade and untold $billions giving the market product that has not resonated (i.e. not good sales).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 62Lincoln For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (04-28-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
    There's an old truism in the auto biz: it doesn't cost any more to design an attractive car than it does to design an unattractive car. There is no reason that Cadillac could not release a car with the styling of the Elmiraj or Ciel, for some inexplicable reason Cadillac chose not to. Meanwhile, they've spent more than a decade and untold $billions giving the market product that has not resonated (i.e. not good sales).
    I can't say that I understand some of the design choices made at GM, in particular with the current Camaro.

But I think that "truism" is an oversimplification.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

megeebee (04-28-2019)

Thanks

One thing I will agree with is the fact that GM has a crazy habit of producing the most stunning concepts.. but never releasing the, I can only think of a few they have.. being the gen2 SRX, CTS Coupe, XTS, Gen2 Lacrosse and Converj. A release of the Sixteen, Cien, Ciel, ElMiraj, Escala, Avenir, Avista.. none of them made it, yet each would have completed their desired resurgence on looks alone.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 1,891 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

One thing I will agree with is the fact that GM has a crazy habit of producing the most stunning concepts.. but never releasing the, I can only think of a few they have.. being the gen2 SRX, CTS Coupe, XTS, Gen2 Lacrosse and Converj. A release of the Sixteen, Cien, Ciel, ElMiraj, Escala, Avenir, Avista.. none of them made it, yet each would have completed their desired resurgence on looks alone.
    True. Those latter mentioned ones would have done much to spur interest and a revival at Cadillac and Buick IMO.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (04-28-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Just get rid of that stupid appendage on the trim!

CT5 low res.jpg
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Was at NY auto show. While you can’t sit in the car, you can tell that this would not be a functioning window. Not even close. From the outside you’d be looking at what is behind the headrest or something more structural. If you had glass there, would need to be blacked out completely on the inside.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneakers For This Useful Post:

megeebee (04-28-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I certainly is a design that has grow on me since first seeing it. Looking at the offerings from BMW and MB, Cadillac has nothing to worry about in the styling dept. Now about that coupe version???

Thanks
    Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,932 Posts

There's an old truism in the auto biz: it doesn't cost any more to design an attractive car than it does to design an unattractive car. There is no reason that Cadillac could not release a car with the styling of the Elmiraj or Ciel,
    Generally speaking, true. But the cost to design a vehicle and the economics of building and selling them are completely different things. Either of the cars you list would be HELLA-expensive and sales would be nearly non-existent in a current market that doesn't like large expensive coupes or large expensive 4-door convertibles.

Have you ever seen a picture of the Ciel with the top up? You never will. It doesn't have one. The area needed in the trunk to accommodate the huge top required would have necessitated a much larger rear quarter area. That would have rendered a beautiful car very much LESS than beautiful.

The fewer of a vehicle that get built and sold, the higher the unit cost to the maker. In turn, the higher the price asked for the vehicle and the higher the potential losses. Look at the ELR. All but identical to its Concept.
    Last edited by megeebee; 04-29-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-28-2019),ksr (04-28-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 1,891 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Like Glenn Close boiling a rabbit in a pot obsessive.

Here it is.. if it were glass.. one would have to be a rubber neck to contortion their head far enough back that they could see out of it

and here it is up close. I see zero need to obsess over it like this.. but alas.. if one of the German companies came out with it U'd never here a peep from the usual suspects.

Ironic that some of us say that little rear fake window thingy and chrome treatment remind us of the new Accord, and right behind it is the big HONDA signage for the show. lol
    Last edited by 1958carnut; 04-28-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: I cain't spell.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

ksr (04-28-2019),megeebee (04-28-2019),Mr.Buttons (04-28-2019),ryannel2003 (04-28-2019)

Thanks
    ^^^ it was not lost on me

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-28-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Cadillac chose rear legroom and styling over headroom and trunkspace. That didn't pan out for Lacrosse, which sold in 2018 a quarter of 2010. The XTS, with plenty of trunkspace and decent headroom, only lost half its sales between 2014 and 2018, in fact rose a bit last year while outselling the less expensive Buick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    Cadillac chose rear legroom and styling over headroom and trunkspace. That didn't pan out for Lacrosse, which sold in 2018 a quarter of 2010. The XTS, with plenty of trunkspace and decent headroom, only lost half its sales between 2014 and 2018, in fact rose a bit last year while outselling the less expensive Buick.
    XTS also went Black Car heavy in 2017. I really thought they should have kept the XTS, Impala, and LaX.. the XTS if for no other reason than it was extremely profitable even in fleet duty

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information