Cadillac Explains CT5's C-Pillar - Page 4

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 81

Thread: Cadillac Explains CT5's C-Pillar

  1. #46
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,090
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 759 Times in 406 Posts

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    All of the nit picking on CT5 styling misses the problem and the point. It just isn’t good enough. Even if we assume the CT5 stands to toe with the best existing German car in the segment it still wouldn’t be good enough. Both Cadillac and Lincoln have put themselves in a position where simply bringing sedans and coupes on par with the competition isn’t good enough. And that is the real story here. Unless and until Cadillac starts building cars that are closer in style and character to the Elmiraj and Ciel than CT5 and CT6 it just won’t matter. And on the flip side, when and if they do execute like that, it won’t matter that the Germans have dominated here for decades now either.

    Crossovers and sport utility vehicles offered by Cadillac and Lincoln don’t suffer under this same reality for a few reasons.
    Last edited by SVT74; 04-25-2019 at 09:54 AM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

    377Z (04-25-2019),Scrambler (04-25-2019)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  4. #47
    ksr
    ksr is offline
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head Island, SC
    Posts
    6,595
    Thanks
    901
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,311 Posts

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    All of the nit picking on CT5 styling misses the problem and the point. It just isn’t good enough. Even if we assume the CT5 stands to toe with the best existing German car in the segment it still wouldn’t be good enough. Both Cadillac and Lincoln have put themselves in a position where simply bringing sedans and coupes on par with the competition isn’t good enough. And that is the real story here. Unless and until Cadillac starts building cars that are closer in style and character to the Elmiraj and Ciel than CT5 and CT6 it just won’t matter. And on the flip side, when and if they do execute like that, it won’t matter that the Germans have dominated here for decades now either.

    Crossovers and sport utility vehicles offered by Cadillac and Lincoln don’t suffer under this same reality for a few reasons.
    If you're right, then both are doomed as far as cars go. And maybe they both are doomed, because I think there is some truth in what you say. They can build cars that are as good as or better than anything in that segment, which the CT5 may well be, and a lot of the market will still buy German cars by default. Just because they are German cars.

    If they built the Elmiraj or Ciel, it would be very expensive. And because of that, it won't sell. And the whining about price here on GMI will be epic (which would be fun to read if nothing else).
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

    In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

    megeebee (04-25-2019)

  6. #48
    GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,042
    Thanks
    1,626
    Thanked 7,151 Times in 3,250 Posts

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    All of the nit picking on CT5 styling misses the problem and the point. It just isn’t good enough. Even if we assume the CT5 stands to toe with the best existing German car in the segment it still wouldn’t be good enough. Both Cadillac and Lincoln have put themselves in a position where simply bringing sedans and coupes on par with the competition isn’t good enough. And that is the real story here. Unless and until Cadillac starts building cars that are closer in style and character to the Elmiraj and Ciel than CT5 and CT6 it just won’t matter. And on the flip side, when and if they do execute like that, it won’t matter that the Germans have dominated here for decades now either.

    Crossovers and sport utility vehicles offered by Cadillac and Lincoln don’t suffer under this same reality for a few reasons.
    The CT5 is good enough, I believe. But it's design lacks the inspiration it really deserves and will go unnoticed.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

    Mr.Buttons (04-25-2019)

  8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  9. #49
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 764 Posts

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    I think a lot of the controversy in general concerning the CT5's styling really stems from Cadillac dramatically changing it from what the Art and Science approach to luxury that it has been pushing for almost two decades. "We started off with lines.. then those lines began to curve.. now we are into circles." I brought up the move from the Corvette moving to the C7 a while ago now.. in this CT5 debate.. and I think it sticks. There were some over at the Corvette forums... that absolutely hated the fact that the lights looked like this in the rear..




    instead of this:



    I actually remember one dude threatening to never even look at a Corvette again unless Chevy came out with a retro fit kit.

    So goes the idea of change.. And some just can't stand it. Gen3 CTS didn't sell... So GM, bless their hearts decided that instead of following the Gen2 formula in the first place with variants and promotion, have decided to go back to Gen1 as a tweener. Hopefully they wise up and utilize this fastback looking vehicle and morph a real coupe out of it too add sales. Hopefully the pricing is not to high, but still not to low. And on that I believe they are going to have a "Snow Leopard" base model that exists at 3 dealers thru out the country... I constantly rant on the fact that finding a 2.0L CT6 is an exercise in futility.. With what I just counted as 5 in all miles in the US from where I am. And even they start above $55K.. none at that supposed $50K starting price. Of course I have zero problem with that because my thought is that the CT6 should be starting at the same price point of a 720i if it existed here.. And that would most likely be in the high $60K range. I'd never buy it... Opting for the 750i or B7 equivalent everytime at a higher price. Because why posture at this level. The CT5 will most likely be the exact same I regards to price. From. The vehicle I saw at the show. The Premium Lux.. There was not one E450 or A6 there that looked as luxury or as good. They were pricing them at $60K and I think the CT5, for the sake of argument should, in Premium Lux be no less than $56K...even though if they priced it at the same as the Germans I wouldn't squawk..
    You sure the guy who b---d about the C7 wasn't fastbal1?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6


    Hidden Content

  10. #50
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    5,344
    Thanks
    6,674
    Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,192 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz
    Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    I think a lot of the controversy in general concerning the CT5's styling really stems from Cadillac dramatically changing it from what the Art and Science approach to luxury that it has been pushing for almost two decades. "We started off with lines.. then those lines began to curve.. now we are into circles." I brought up the move from the Corvette moving to the C7 a while ago now.. in this CT5 debate.. and I think it sticks. There were some over at the Corvette forums... that absolutely hated the fact that the lights looked like this in the rear..




    instead of this:



    I actually remember one dude threatening to never even look at a Corvette again unless Chevy came out with a retro fit kit.

    So goes the idea of change.. And some just can't stand it. Gen3 CTS didn't sell... So GM, bless their hearts decided that instead of following the Gen2 formula in the first place with variants and promotion, have decided to go back to Gen1 as a tweener. Hopefully they wise up and utilize this fastback looking vehicle and morph a real coupe out of it too add sales. Hopefully the pricing is not to high, but still not to low. And on that I believe they are going to have a "Snow Leopard" base model that exists at 3 dealers thru out the country... I constantly rant on the fact that finding a 2.0L CT6 is an exercise in futility.. With what I just counted as 5 in all miles in the US from where I am. And even they start above $55K.. none at that supposed $50K starting price. Of course I have zero problem with that because my thought is that the CT6 should be starting at the same price point of a 720i if it existed here.. And that would most likely be in the high $60K range. I'd never buy it... Opting for the 750i or B7 equivalent everytime at a higher price. Because why posture at this level. The CT5 will most likely be the exact same I regards to price. From. The vehicle I saw at the show. The Premium Lux.. There was not one E450 or A6 there that looked as luxury or as good. They were pricing them at $60K and I think the CT5, for the sake of argument should, in Premium Lux be no less than $56K...even though if they priced it at the same as the Germans I wouldn't squawk..
    You sure the guy who b---d about the C7 wasn't fastbal1?
    Ha! I was thinking the same thing, now he's arguing it's great don't change it.

  11. #51
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Posts
    1,585
    Thanks
    318
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Long winded? Do you not like reading? I counted 3 sentences on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Three concise sentences, one paragraph?

    Maybe he can just grunt if asked again.
    Yes, three sentences trying to cover their butt that do not clarify anything, and just sounds like some canned response they worked out with marketing beforehand to try and address it. I'll say it again, if you have to explain it AT ALL, it's not a good design. Just because this guy thinks "it’s a nice solution for the rear occupant" and "graphically likes where it sits on the car and the whole stance of the vehicle" isn't going to make me like something I don't like. Amazing things can be designed with all the technology and simulation software we have today, looks like they just gave up a bit too early on this design for me.
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

    Mr.Buttons (04-25-2019)

  13. #52
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    34,109
    Thanks
    8,270
    Thanked 6,684 Times in 4,146 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    What's controversial? It's like a six-window Sedan deVille, slightly updated. Like the little front quarter windows some cars have. I like those too, the more I can see the more I like it.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

    The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

  14. #53
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 764 Posts

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    It's weird...my first take was that I hated the C-Pillar then after a few mins of looking at it, the only thing I don't like about the CT5 is the quarter window ahead of the C-Pillar plastic/glass/metal piece. IMO, it would've looked much cleaner to sacrifice 100% rolldownability to use a single pane on the window.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6


    Hidden Content

  15. #54
    ksr
    ksr is offline
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head Island, SC
    Posts
    6,595
    Thanks
    901
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,311 Posts

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by fastrehotrods View Post
    Yes, three sentences trying to cover their butt that do not clarify anything, and just sounds like some canned response they worked out with marketing beforehand to try and address it. I'll say it again, if you have to explain it AT ALL, it's not a good design. Just because this guy thinks "it’s a nice solution for the rear occupant" and "graphically likes where it sits on the car and the whole stance of the vehicle" isn't going to make me like something I don't like. Amazing things can be designed with all the technology and simulation software we have today, looks like they just gave up a bit too early on this design for me.

    "... if you have to explain it AT ALL, it's not a good design."

    So what should he have done when asked the question, just stood there and stared the interviewer down?

    Or do you think the design should not have prompted any such questions? At launch, designers are always asked questions about different elements of a car's design. And if no such questions are asked, it probably means that the car is bland and forgettable.

    Remember when the first CTS was launched in 2002? It was a controversial design to say the least and there was a lot of explanations. It was definitely a love-it-or-hate-it design. That's a good thing, since it gets people talking. In the case of the first CTS, there was enough love to make the car a big success. Hopefully the CT5 will have some measure of that.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

    In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

    CMiatso DaBang (04-25-2019),jzchev28 (04-26-2019),megeebee (04-25-2019)

  17. #55
    Corvette C7 megeebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    16,689
    Thanks
    5,072
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,933 Posts

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    "If you are explaining, you are losing"
    Yep.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed753

    It was a brilliant marketing campaign that generated almost [EDIT] 10 million dollars and can't help but sell more regular Continentals.

    When should we see evidence of this?

    https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...q-19-sales.pdf
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

    W.B. Yeats- 1919



    .

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

    jzchev28 (04-26-2019)

  19. #56
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    15,352
    Thanks
    275
    Thanked 211 Times in 131 Posts
    My Ride
    FORD

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    If the whisperings of Jaguar, and the appeal of the XJ with a soon to be extinct 5.0 liter Supercharged V8 were not so strong in my ear I could definitely seen a CT5-V in my immediate future.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  20. #57
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid sfbreh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    19,226
    Thanks
    7,606
    Thanked 8,734 Times in 5,629 Posts

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    About the CT5’s controversial rear pillar design. “What we wanted to do was have an element that gave you a really fast upper while still maintaining good headroom,” Smith said. “The Interesting thing there is we could have gone and put in a sixth window in, but to me it’s less efficient and it’s a nice solution for the rear occupant as well. Graphically I like where it sits on the car and the whole stance of the vehicle.”
    Could have put in a sixth window, but it's less efficient and a nice solution for the rear occupant... but you still pretended to put in a sixth window because the car would look retarded without it, so you just saved the cash and made it a piece of black plastic.

    If you didn't think the car needed it, why did you fake one? It needed the look, but you can suck on it and take the plastic fake window over more glass?

    Nobody else does this, why do you? It's the attitude of an organization doomed for failure.

  21. #58
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid sfbreh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    19,226
    Thanks
    7,606
    Thanked 8,734 Times in 5,629 Posts

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    The CT5 is cybersecure. “Our next-generation electrical architecture has encryption tech that will really set us apart,” said Vivian. “We will have some upgrades and enhancements in the future that you’re going to hear about shortly.”
    It's hopeless. Do they think this is going to sell any cars?

  22. #59
    GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,042
    Thanks
    1,626
    Thanked 7,151 Times in 3,250 Posts

    Re: WHAM!!! Cadillac Explains the C-Pillar in Interview with Automobile Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Could have put in a sixth window, but it's less efficient and a nice solution for the rear occupant... but you still pretended to put in a sixth window because the car would look retarded without it, so you just saved the cash and made it a piece of black plastic.

    If you didn't think the car needed it, why did you fake one? It needed the look, but you can suck on it and take the plastic fake window over more glass?

    Nobody else does this, why do you? It's the attitude of an organization doomed for failure.
    Pretty much how I read it too.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

  23. #60
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 792 Times in 372 Posts
    How much cash do U people think was saved fabricating a piece of dedicated plastic over a piece of glass? The statements here, not to mention the obsession over this teeny tiny piece of the car is unreal.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special

  24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 All Stars Contender: Cadillac CT6 | Automobile Magazine
    By Robert1969 in forum Global Cadillac News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2017, 02:22 PM
  2. Automobile Magazine's 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Long-Term Test
    By asrapid1 in forum Cadillac & Buick Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-29-2015, 02:37 PM
  3. Automobile Magazine's 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Long-Term Test
    By asrapid1 in forum Suggest A News Article
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2015, 02:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2