Cadillac EV SUV called Lyriq + flagship EV sedan coming (called Celestiq?)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac EV SUV called Lyriq + flagship EV sedan coming (called Celestiq?)

Thanks

Cadillac EV SUV called Lyriq + flagship EV sedan coming (called Celestiq?)

GM’s EV Day is today and Cadillac's upcoming EV SUV is reportedly named Lyriq... and supposed to be previewed during the presentation! Even more interesting (at least to me) are reports that an all-new, full-size flagship EV sedan is upcoming and will be previewed today as well; her name is believed to be Celestiq. I had a feeling Cadillac's CT6-level of sedan was not gone but essentially on hiatus pending reinvention and rechristening.

Today's presentations should whet our appetites until April 2 when Cadillac is supposed to show a whole lot more of the Lyriq.

Upcoming Cadillac Electric Crossover Rumored To Be Called Lyriq

Future Cadillac Flagship Sedan To Be Electric, Will Be Called Celestiq

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Syclone478 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-04-2020),BlackGTP (03-04-2020),dannyg (03-04-2020),DequindreToo (03-04-2020),EJD1984 (03-04-2020),nadepalma (03-05-2020),rand49er (03-05-2020),SP1966 (03-04-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

Re: Cadillac EV SUV called Lyriq + flagship EV sedan coming (called Celestiq?)

Cadillac Lyriq:

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-04-2020),BlackGTP (03-04-2020),DequindreToo (03-04-2020),EJD1984 (03-04-2020),rand49er (03-05-2020)

Thanks

Sounds like Celestiq is aiming waaaay higher than where CT6 left off. Hand built.

Probably what I found most interesting in this Motor1 article is that Cadillac said, despite the Lyriq being their first EV out, they designed the Celestiq sedan FIRST. The flagship sedan set the tone and the reports are coming out that it is breathtaking.

According to Motor1:

General Motors gave the automotive media a huge taste of its all-electric future today, previewing the new GMC Hummer EV, the Chevrolet Bolt EUV, the upcoming Cadillac Lyriq, and a number of other early models of other electric crossovers. And at the end of the veritable fire hose of information, GM previewed an additional vehicle in a Steve Jobs-worthy “one more thing”: the Cadillac Celestiq.

Pronounced “suh-less-tik,” this huge, sleek, fastback sedan is Cadillac's latest attempt at a flagship. It's difficult to emphasize just how much design there is in this enormous sedan, as Cadillac didn't allow any photography at the event or indicate when the Celestiq would debut. Before we make that attempt, though, here are the things we know for certain

For a start, the Celestiq will be a proper flagship, with a limited production run. Each example will also be hand-built, aside from the Ultium battery platform it rides atop. That means a custom-crafted two-plus-two cabin. Cadillac is promising warm, gorgeous woods and attractive leather, although this old-world charm might clash with the screen-intensive cabin. We didn't think it possible, but the Celestiq's dash display will dwarf even the Escalade, because the entire dash is a display. That's right, this big sedan adopts a dash-spanning screen that looks like a more attractive version of what Byton is doing.

As for the design, we suggest looking to the Cadillac Lyriq crossover. While that car will debut well before the Celestiq – April 2, to be precise – Cadillac Lead Exterior Designer Magalie Debellis and her team penned the sedan first and the CUV second. The Celestiq is far longer, much lower, and significantly wider than the Lyriq – it's a striking piece of design, if not an especially attractive one.

The fascia on the Celestiq and Lyriq are remarkably similar, with an identical grille design down to the lighting effects. The vertical headlights and the subtle LED slivers that serve as turn signals remain as well. Smooth and rounded, the Celestiq is subtly tear-drop shaped, with hints of the current Jaguar XJ in its sumptuous shape and a more aggressive take on the first-gen Audi A7 in the profile.

But that undersells just how much visual mass sits behind the spacious passenger compartment. The C-pillar is quite simply the largest we've ever seen on vehicle. It's not merely a slab of sheetmetal, though. Cadillac's designers split the taillights into two distinct L-shaped elements, with the upper half wrapping forward into that huge pillar. These units serve as taillights and turn signals. The lower portion cuts into the lower portion of the bumper cover and fender before terminating behind the rear wheel – it functions as both running light and brake light.

Cadillac was tight-lipped about when and where the Celestiq will debut, although it will almost certainly come after the Lyriq's April 2 introduction and New York Auto Show debut. Naturally, we'll keep an eye open for images of this massive sedan. It needs to be seen to be believed.
    Here are some smuggled images of an interior (not sure of what vehicle). Are those 'suicide' rear doors?

https://www.motor1.com/news/402341/c...tric-flagship/
    Hidden Content
    Autos of Interest is a collection of media and information covering automobiles of all forms, from conceptual artwork to production models, and everything in between. Features include backstories and exclusive content, with a focus on often overlooked models. Hidden Content

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Syclone478 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-04-2020),BlackGTP (03-04-2020),dannyg (03-04-2020),DequindreToo (03-04-2020),EJD1984 (03-04-2020),rand49er (03-05-2020),Robert1969 (03-04-2020),wallus13 (03-04-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 676 Posts

This will be interesting to watch as GM rolls these EVehicles out.

Not sure if I'm sold on the names of these EVehicles (yet). Is there a theme to the names? or are they just random words with "Q" stuck on the end?

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,395 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone478 View Post
    Sounds like Celestiq is aiming waaaay higher than where CT6 left off. Hand built.

Probably what I found most interesting in this Motor1 article is that Cadillac said, despite the Lyriq being their first EV out, they designed the Celestiq sedan FIRST. The flagship sedan set the tone and the reports are coming out that it is breathtaking.

According to Motor1:

Here are some smuggled images of an interior (not sure of what vehicle). Are those 'suicide' rear doors?

https://www.motor1.com/news/402341/c...tric-flagship/
    Someone managed to smuggle photos and those are the only two they came away with???
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (03-04-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Someone managed to smuggle photos and those are the only two they came away with???
    Seriously, although it looks like they might be planning on trickling them out because a new one is up and it shows a tech-laden rear cabin.

I also noticed in one of the shots above it appears the steering wheel/column fold into the dash when not in use. It would be nice if that survives to production; with drive-by-wire I would think there is little holding the idea back. They did tell us to expect some interesting things...

Anyway, check out this rear seating area.

Hidden Content
    Autos of Interest is a collection of media and information covering automobiles of all forms, from conceptual artwork to production models, and everything in between. Features include backstories and exclusive content, with a focus on often overlooked models. Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone478 View Post
    Seriously, although it looks like they might be planning on trickling them out because a new one is up and it shows a tech-laden rear cabin.

I also noticed in one of the shots above it appears the steering wheel/column fold into the dash when not in use. It would be nice if that survives to production; with drive-by-wire I would think there is little holding the idea back. They did tell us to expect some interesting things...

Anyway, check out this rear seating area.

I guess no little kids hoping in the backseat of that ride.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 621 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

It will arrive by 2025....2025? Why show a vehicle in 2020 that is 5 years out? Why does GM continue to do this?! And what's with the square steering wheel?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,881 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post

Not sure if I'm sold on the names of these EVehicles (yet). Is there a theme to the names? or are they just random words with "Q" stuck on the end?
    They're names that Skoda and Nissan rejected!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (03-04-2020),Neanderthal (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 539 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    It will arrive by 2025....2025? Why show a vehicle in 2020 that is 5 years out? Why does GM continue to do this?! And what's with the square steering wheel?
    Because square steering wheel = future. Duh.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (03-06-2020)

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,395 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    Lyriq is due in 2022, it's the Celestiq that's still years out and they only showed teasers to just journalists at the event today.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (03-06-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,881 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
    Cadillac Lyriq:

Don't like the tailgate angle - looks like they can't decide whether to compete with X5 or X6

Thanks

I guess no little kids hoping in the backseat of that ride.
    Would hard plastics be better?

It's like Cadillac is damned if they do (something nice) and damned if they don't (do something nice).
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 539 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

If you cliq on the linq, you'll notice a great strategiq plan for the names of all the electriq models coming out of GM's great dramatiq electriq push.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-04-2020),bballr4567 (03-04-2020),DequindreToo (03-04-2020),Evo69 (03-05-2020),gkr778 (03-04-2020),Mr.Buttons (03-04-2020),richmond2000 (03-06-2020),Ruperts Trooper (03-04-2020),The Handler (03-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,304 Times in 4,554 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

This is exciting!!!!!!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (03-04-2020),richmond2000 (03-06-2020),Robert1969 (03-04-2020),Syclone478 (03-04-2020)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information