Cadillac CUE Update Coming Soon

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac CUE Update Coming Soon

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Cadillac CUE Update Coming Soon

Update adding features, improving performance.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    February 5, 2013
    By: Nick Saporito

Software updates are already a part of life for smartphone and PC users, but this societal norm is starting to gravitate to the vehicle as well. In the next few weeks Cadillac will roll out the first significant update to it’s Cadillac User Experience (CUE) infotainment system. The update is expected to provide stability enhancements to address complaints, as well as a few new features.

Most notable, the update is enabling Cadillac drivers to leverage their phone’s voice assistant via the steering wheel. For Apple iPhone users, this means that Siri will be able to be utilized through the car’s audio system. Apple calls this Siri “Eyes Free” meaning certain functions typically available through Siri—such as asking the meaning of life—will not work through CUE. The system will also work with other smartphone voice assistants so long as the phone is using a Bluetooth profile that’s loaded into the CUE system.

Additionally, the update will increase functionality to more media players through the USB port, and for the extremely popular Cadillac owners, CUE will download up to 3,500 phone contacts, up from today’s 1,000.

Cadillac says to expect an overall increase in CUE’s performance. Specifically, certain gestures on the touchscreen, and the capacitive touch button reaction times are to be improved with the update. The CUE system, not unlike other automakers’ infotainment systems, has come under scrutiny for being sluggish and buggy, which Cadillac states is feedback they've received and considered with this update.

Rounding out the updates is a mild reworking of the navigation functionality. While mapping data will remain the same, the system has been tweaked to display more street names, and the logic behind destination routing has been revamped.

Unlike some competitors, Cadillac is not having customers update their systems on their own. Instead, current CUE owners will receive a letter in early March informing them that they may voluntarily have their car updated at a dealership free of charge.

Once taking the vehicle to the dealership for the update, owners may opt to have a Cadillac loaner vehicle to drive while their car is receiving the update.

An ARM 11 3-core processor, with two of those processors dedicated to voice recognition, powers CUE. According to Cadillac the system also houses hardware that is currently not being used by the software, enabling the system to be “future proof” to a certain extent through future releases.

The extra hardware is likely to be utilized on the next update to CUE, which is allegedly going to enable app functionality on the system. GM recently released an API to developers to develop applications for CUE and the company’s other brand-specific infotainment systems. No timeline has been released regarding when customers and developers can expect applications to be ready for download.

Cadillac CUE is currently available on the 2013 ATS, SRX and XTS. All three vehicles will be eligible for the software update. Dealers are expected to receive the update and installation instructions later this month, with customer notification to follow after that.
    Last edited by nsap; 02-05-2013 at 09:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,738 Times in 3,902 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Cadillac CUE Update Coming Soon

Why can't they do an update via OnStar?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Why can't they do an update via OnStar?
    The download is "massive." Expect incremental updates via OnStar in the future, though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 556 Posts
    My Ride
    '18 Dodge Charger SXT Blacktop

Well I'm glad GM is going to update CUE to make it less laggy. That has been my only compliant with the system in the ATS' and XTS' i've driven.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,893 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Never realized Voice recognition used 2 cores by itself. As a computer engineer it sounds like that's over kill. They could swap that arrangement and I doubt you would notice much difference in voice recognition performance but definitely more GUI performance

Edit: I would also suggest that they should move to an ARM 15 based core moving forward
    Last edited by dslay04; 02-05-2013 at 09:42 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Glad to hear there's an update coming. I'm upset that this POS was shipped in the first place. Anybody actually try to use it when they were testing the car? EVERY reviews I read and seen has bashed the CUE. Not one has been positive. What a shame.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,355 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

I sat in an XTS Platinum a few months back and had figured out CUE in 5 minutes. It's not that difficult people.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm really interested to see what apps could be coming to the system.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 12’ Infiniti M37S
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 2,101 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    The download is "massive." Expect incremental updates via OnStar in the future, though.

What is "massive?" A couple hundred megs? 1-2 gigs?
    An OS installation can't be more than 1-3 gig. At which point, incremental updates should be less than that. CUE is *NIX underneath. A lot of this stuff should be done over air.

Tesla is doing it now. Mercedes and Chrysler are slated to do limited updates soon.

Hopefully Cadillac can get this done as well. It would be simpler. Also, Cadillac should force the update and not make it optional.

Thanks

I'm impressed that they're jumping on this immediately.

I can still remember the decade or so the auto industry required to figure out that CDs were the way music was being played.

This shows a significant shift in the thinking of the industry. They've always taken the view of "the design is frozen and we can't do squat 'til next year, or next major update." That they're doing this within months of introduction shows they've become a great deal more flexible.

Now if they'd just get more flexible with things like colors outside and colors and materials inside . . . .

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    I sat in an XTS Platinum a few months back and had figured out CUE in 5 minutes. It's not that difficult people.

I downloaded the CUE App and did all the "Advanced" features on the first try, except for 1-2 things.
    It's really self explanatory.

But, if you're new to these types of multi-menu car systems or are unfamiliar with tablet interfaces, then I think you'll have a pretty steep learning curve.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    Also, Cadillac should force the update and not make it optional.
    I'll take a wild guess that forcing updates would be legally no bueno.

Besides, the dealer update provides a significant opportunity for engagement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    EVERY reviews I read and seen has bashed the CUE. Not one has been positive. What a shame.
    Time to broaden the scope of your reading material.

Not everyone likes CUE. But maintaining that it's been universally panned completely ignores the accolades and awards that the system has received.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    I'll take a wild guess that forcing updates would be legally no bueno.

Besides, the dealer update provides a significant opportunity for engagement.
    Why would it be a legal issue? Say, every time you start your car, there's a little message that says, "Please update your CUE." And it doesn't go away. iOS downloads the update and then asks if you want to install. Install at your own convenience.

I don't want to interact with my dealer unless I have no choice. GOing to a dealership is not convenient. Car purchases aren't something you do monthly or so, so building a relationship with your clothes/shoe salesperson is not analogous. So it's a different type of interaction.
    If I"m going to my dealership monthly or some period shorter than that, then there is something seriously, seriously wrong with my car. And that's an entirely different problem.

Thanks

Why would it be a legal issue? Say, every time you start your car, there's a little message that says, "Please update your CUE." And it doesn't go away.
    That's still a voluntary option. Forcing any type of upgrade without the consent of the user almost certainly contravenes the ownership agreement. There is simply far too much opportunity for something to go sideways.

I don't want to interact with my dealer unless I have no choice. GOing to a dealership is not convenient.
    I suspect GM elected to go this route because they either had limited options or they're using the engagement as a controlled roll-out. It's an expensive distraction for all involved but they may as well make the most of the opportunity and promote it as a positive: collect feedback, conduct diagnostic and do a little glad-handing.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information