The Cadillac CT6-V Is Officially Faster Than The Dodge Charger Hellcat & BMW M5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cadillac CT6-V Is Officially Faster Than The Dodge Charger Hellcat & BMW M5

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,103 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

DriverTribe
    By Jason Haddad
    November 5, 2019

Remember when American luxury meant stuff like Lincoln Continentals and Towncars, Cadillac Devilles, Sevilles and Fleetwoods, Buick Park Avenues and Roadmasters, and the like? Not anymore! The Cadillac CT6-V, which ironically is cheaper than the "base" 4.2-liter V8 model (which is starting at the Platinum trim level), produces 550 horsepower and 640 lb-ft of torque. Those 640 foot-pounds start at 3,400 rpm, which is comparable to the Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat's 650 lb-ft at 4,800 rpm, as well as the BMW M5's 553 lb-ft from 1,800 to 5,700+ rpm. Oh, and the CT6-V comes with all-wheel-drive. The Mercedes-AMG E 63 S produces 627 lb-ft from 2,500 to 4,500 rpm.

The CT6-V is governed to 149 mph, but with the speed limiter lifted it can hit 200 mph (or even more), which beats the M5's 189 mph and the Mercedes-AMG E 63's 186. The Hellcat can hit 204 mph in standard-body form and 196 mph in Widebody form.
    *Full Article at Link

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (11-12-2019),dannyg (11-12-2019),jzchev28 (11-12-2019),Self Reliance (11-12-2019),SierraGS (11-17-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,311 Posts

Re: The Cadillac CT6-V Is Officially Faster Than The Dodge Charger Hellcat & BMW M5

Damn. That's awesome.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Re: The Cadillac CT6-V Is Officially Faster Than The Dodge Charger Hellcat & BMW M5

Not to be a "hater" but this was done on a simulator. Do we even know the accuracy of this simulator...? Does this even matter?

I won't say I'm not impressed - this is very good for the future of the real V Caddies. It just doesn't speak to the target market that much. Faster than the Hellcat? Not sure how many people are cross-shopping those vehicles. Faster than the M5 and E63? Not sure how many BMW & MB loyalists care.

People are unlikely to care about this, especially coming from a simulator. People need a reason beyond top speed to jump brands.

That said, as a GM fan, this engine looks pretty impressive!
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Z Fury For This Useful Post:

canadian.bacon (11-15-2019),CJH (11-13-2019),eklauss (11-12-2019),Robert1969 (11-13-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,311 Posts

Does it matter? Perhaps not. No one who buys these cars ever hits the top speed. But they may like hearing which car is fastest. Bragging rights. Likely won't sway many BMW or M-B loyalists, but maybe a couple. And it could attract a new buyer in this tiny segment.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-12-2019),eklauss (11-12-2019),gkr778 (11-12-2019)

Thanks

Why do you put that much power in a car, then limit it to 149 MPH? That doesn't make any sense. I know no one will drive these cars that fast, but if you are going to give it that much power, let the car use it all.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,743 Times in 3,267 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

This is still not a real V Cadillac.. it’s a V Spprt

Thanks
    Thanked 7,920 Times in 3,971 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Awesome! Nothing else to be said about this car!

I didn't realize that Ford and FCA measure their hp differently than GM. Is this true for all of their vehicles or just these high hp engines? I had no idea that Dodge's huge 700+ hp beast is actually a little less hp than Chevy's best when using the same forms of measurements.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by zeobandit View Post
    Why do you put that much power in a car, then limit it to 149 MPH? That doesn't make any sense. I know no one will drive these cars that fast, but if you are going to give it that much power, let the car use it all.
    Could be anything. Heck the wiper blades on my vagon are different than the non-V version because of speed. Hoods have occasionally come flying off at high speeds. There is more to going fast than having a big engine.

Consider, 150 is like a strong hurricane or tornado wind speed and you have to add in another 20/30 if you have a normal headwind. Pretty awesome forces at play on the exterior.
    Last edited by Vagon11; 11-12-2019 at 10:37 AM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-12-2019),Cobaltss_King (11-12-2019),eklauss (11-12-2019),mbukukanyau (11-12-2019),Self Reliance (11-19-2019),wallus13 (11-12-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Great car Caddy. One glaring omission though is the Dodge's are RWD-only, while the rest are AWD. I think the M5 allows the user to disconnect the fronts if desired. I wish Caddy would do the same or do a RWD-only option. My money would still be on a Scat Pack at around $50K loaded up. Yes you lose a second 0-60 and the 1/4, but you get to have a lot more fun (arguably). I get that they are not in the same class. Nice to have options if you want. I think if I had money to burn I would by the Caddy CT6-V even with the AWD I don't like.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 764 Posts

Ok...so no one here is going to mention that the "Officially" in the title of the article is BS. This 212mph top speed is theoretical based on a computer sim where in reality its limited to 149mph.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

CJH (11-13-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (11-13-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Monaro converted GTO; '69 442

After reading these two sentences, the author lost any shred of credibility in my mind:

It should be noted that Dodge (along with Jaguar and Ford) rates their cars in bhp, rather than wheel hp like Cadillac, BMW, or Mercedes. The "550-hp" Cadillac might actually be 650-hp.
    Seriously, manufacturers rating hp at the wheels? Iím sure that C8 dyno was totally accurate, too. GM, at least, certifies hp using the SAE J1349 standard, and they have starting with the LS7 back in Ď06. That was 505 hp using that standard and usually dynoed in the 440s at the tire. Are there cars that are underrated out there? Iím sure there are, but by 100 hp? I also take issue with the assertion that several manufacturers are either over or underrating ALL of their cars by 15%. As heavily scrutinized as this industry is today, does that seem like itíd really be possible? Itís the sort of rumor that might have legs back before the internet and dynos became common, but I donít know how it does today. Certain cars and engines over or underrated? Sure, Iíd believe that, but manufacturers categorically? No, I donít think so.

Then thereís the headline. How can it be ďofficiallyĒ faster if it canít go that speed in stock form and it was all based on a simulation using, Iím not kidding, Adobe Flash Player? Serious engineering simulations going on there.

Iím sure the numbers on the car will be good. I just donít think we need to rely on hyperbole to hype up the performance of a 550 hp car.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chris442 For This Useful Post:

CJH (11-13-2019),Extreme4x4 (11-13-2019),sdotjeezy (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,920 Times in 3,971 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNJ View Post
    Great car Caddy. One glaring omission though is the Dodge's are RWD-only, while the rest are AWD. I think the M5 allows the user to disconnect the fronts if desired. I wish Caddy would do the same or do a RWD-only option. My money would still be on a Scat Pack at around $50K loaded up. Yes you lose a second 0-60 and the 1/4, but you get to have a lot more fun (arguably). I get that they are not in the same class. Nice to have options if you want. I think if I had money to burn I would by the Caddy CT6-V even with the AWD I don't like.
    I don't know if this holds true for the CT6-V, but putting my AWD ATS into sport mode for all intents makes it RWD, making it pretty easy to swing the back end out. I learned this the hard way after taking a left out of my car wash (after having the black stuff put on my tires which makes them a little slick for a minute) and almost lost control of the car, fishtailing down the road. I was in sport mode, I now make sure I'm in touring when I get my car washed

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 764 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chris442 View Post
    After reading these two sentences, the author lost any shred of credibility in my mind:

Seriously, manufacturers rating hp at the wheels? I’m sure that C8 dyno was totally accurate, too. GM, at least, certifies hp using the SAE J1349 standard, and they have starting with the LS7 back in ‘06. That was 505 hp using that standard and usually dynoed in the 440s at the tire. Are there cars that are underrated out there? I’m sure there are, but by 100 hp? I also take issue with the assertion that several manufacturers are either over or underrating ALL of their cars by 15%. As heavily scrutinized as this industry is today, does that seem like it’d really be possible? It’s the sort of rumor that might have legs back before the internet and dynos became common, but I don’t know how it does today. Certain cars and engines over or underrated? Sure, I’d believe that, but manufacturers categorically? No, I don’t think so.

Then there’s the headline. How can it be “officially” faster if it can’t go that speed in stock form and it was all based on a simulation using, I’m not kidding, Adobe Flash Player? Serious engineering simulations going on there.

I’m sure the numbers on the car will be good. I just don’t think we need to rely on hyperbole to hype up the performance of a 550 hp car.
    I once got a Stock Challenger Hellcat up to 220 playing Forza on my xbox one...so I guess by his standards its officially faster right?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

CJH (11-13-2019),Extreme4x4 (11-13-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 662 Posts

The Yugo X90 is even Faster!

#1 Where is the CT6-V? I have heard talk, even know someone waiting for His, still No Car! And it's a 2019 Model!
    #2 On Paper, on In Space or maybe on Disney's Rock n Roll Rollercoaster. I will wait for the Real Numbers.
    #3 149 mph is not 204 mph. A Stock Vehicle is the way it left the Factory. A Modified Vehicle is a Modified Stock Vehicle, so a Yugo might go 205 mph.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

I'm just glad this wasn't released by GM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to big swede For This Useful Post:

CJH (11-13-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information