GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac CT6 Drops Another Engine, Only Two Left

5K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  Envoy4Life 
#1 ·
Cadillac CT6 Drops Another Engine, Only Two Left
MAY 18, 2019
BY: JACOB OLIVA
Motor1

We reckon that some fans of the CT6 are still in the mourning for the death of the 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine last month, but Cadillac seems to be eager to cut down the engine options for its full-size luxury sedan.

According to AutoVerdict, the American marque has released the ordering guide for the 2020 CT6 and buyers would be left with only two engine choices in the upcoming model year. Only the naturally-aspirated 3.6L V6 and the 4.2L twin-turbo V8 will allegedly remain as the options for next year – both all-wheel drive and coupled to a 10-speed automatic slushbox.

As you know, discounting the hot V8 mill of the CT6 Platinum, the 3.0L twin-turbo engine serves as the range-topping and more powerful choice. It produces 404 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque, which is a lot more than the 335-hp and 284 lb-ft of the naturally-aspirated 3.6L V6. Both are also paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission.

With this in mind, the top choice if you want a powerful CT6 would be the 4.2L V8, albeit, the 2020 ordering guide hasn't disclosed the final output rating just yet, according to Auto Verdict.

#2 ·
So only three engine configurations in the US.? But I wonder why they didn't kill the 3.6 instead of the 3.0. So now the 335 hp 3.6L and two 4.2Ls at 500hp and 550hp.

Now Before we jump to the inevitable GMI conclusions.. What do the competition offer in non-hybrid choices? Sclass has the 3.0LTT at 362hp and 4.0 at 463HP, before AMG.

Reactions: SierraGS
#25 ·
So only three engine configurations in the US.? But I wonder why they didn't kill the 3.6 instead of the 3.0. So now the 335 hp 3.6L and two 4.2Ls at 500hp and 550hp.
I don't think having an available non-turbo motor is a bad thing.
I'm also going to guess that the 3.6 CT6 is most popular. It's the version I'd choose.

#SideNote This does bring me to ponder what will be under the hood of the CT4. One engine in non-V? The 2.0L?
I will be shocked if they offer a 3.6 CT4. But if they offered it, it's the version I'd want.

Alfa only offers a 2.0T and 2.9TT in the Giulia, so one competitor has gone the two engine route.
IMO, that car with the 280 hp 2.0T is plenty fast. The 505 hp Quadifoglio must be one hell of a wild ride.

#17 ·
While I agree, how refined is it for a car of CT6's status? If that's the case, they could have already had a 'V' version near CT6's initial launch by dropping in the 6.2L from the CTS-V.

Wait, is the ATS-V 3.6L Twin Turbo and the XTS V-sport a Single Turbo of the same basic engine? If so, how? One is FWD and one is RWD! I never really paid attention.

#6 ·
If the info is correct I'm thinking maybe it would be better if they went with detuned 3.0 l TT V6, for that "low" power (around 350 hp) instead of keeping 3.6 l V6.
But i guess since 3.0 l v6 TT (LGW) is only used in Cadillac and 3.6 V6 (LGW) is used in Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, GMC, truck, sedans etc...so everywhere :)...maybe GM can't justify the cost. And since XTS is ending production it would be used only in CT6.

Is there any sales number comparison between Cadillac CT6 with 3.6 l v6 and 3.0 l v6 TT?

#13 ·
Cadillac’s configurator has also dropped the Luxury trim. The CT6, therefore, only has three trims: Premium Luxury, Sport, and Platinum with a starting price of 63,590.

#14 · (Edited)
Someone, rightfully so, realized that offering a cheap intro model or two was ridiculous and finally decided to price it at a starting price more appropriate, though still lower than where I would have it. A platinum 4.2L should be over $100K I'm thinking.

Interesting that the 3.0L is still listed though

Reactions: Robert1969
#16 ·
Whereas no one will truly care in their crossovers (although I do), I think they need to rid themselves of using GM's parts bin shelf in their cars so they look like something special. I know it may be far more economical to use the 3.6L but since the CT5 is using the 3.0L their bigger car should take over where it leaves off. 3.0L and detuned 'Blackwing' should be CT6's only offerings when not in 'V' form.

#SideNote This does bring me to ponder what will be under the hood of the CT4. One engine in non-V? The 2.0L?

#21 ·
Whereas no one will truly care in their crossovers (although I do), I think they need to rid themselves of using GM's parts bin shelf in their cars so they look like something special. I know it may be far more economical to use the 3.6L but since the CT5 is using the 3.0L their bigger car should take over where it leaves off. 3.0L and detuned 'Blackwing' should be CT6's only offerings when not in 'V' form.

U know why BMW and Benz are perceived as special in that regard??? Because they don't have a PARTS BIN. If they did.. I bet they would raid it. There is nothing wrong with Cadillac Escalade having a turn stalk that is also present in the Tahoe.. it just needs to be dressed up a bit. Problem is that even if it is.. dressed up... U will have some hater come in a break it apart to FIND that Chevy part underneath. I also bet I can get into a VW and find parts that Audi swiped.. but no one else will... because they absolutely can't fathom hating on the Germans

Reactions: Dheart
#20 ·
Simply seems as though they went the 7Series route in offering only three engines. The 3.6L I really don't get considering the smaller CT5 will have the 3.0LTT instead of the 3.6L. Its almost A$$ backwards, unless the strategy is to push more people into the Blackwing. As it stands.. the CT6 will have:

335HP/284 lb-ft vs the 740 at 335HP/330lb-ft
500HP/574 lb-ft vs 750 at 523HP/535 ft-lb
550HP/627lb-ft vs the M760 having 600hp/627lb-ft

In terms of performance.. Cadillac may make up for the lessor HP in some categories with the lighter weight (AWD vs AWD is a 200lb advantage to Cadillac.) and 10 speed

#28 ·
Zfor the volume being sold two engine choices is fine. Gm should have just done the v6 and v8 turbo motors..

Offer something better than the competition at a better price does in fact help motivate sales..

Why not build a reputation of hot rod for the best price...stop going toe to toe with the germans ...

Not enough to motivate consumers and the residuals will be higher as consumer love hot rods especially wjen buying second hand...

Dump the four and naturally aspirated v6 would have been a smarter move...profits might be less at msrp but unit sales would be less embarrassing.

#31 · (Edited)
Its a CADILLAC.. now that the V8 is available.. why buy anything else? The CT6 now has a choice of two.. I have no real issue with the 4.2L being the main engine.. kill the 3.6L as well. Start pricing at $75,300 in the 500/574 4.2LTTurbo and go after the TTV6 Lexus LS sales with 84 More HP and 132 more lb-ft of torque wrapped in a car that looks like a bigger, more elegant CTS versus one that looks like a last generation Camry with a Predator face. Offer as many options though.. and we would have a perfect recipe

That's right I said the Lexus LS500.. Lexus' flagship sedan has a V6 as its sole motivation barring the hybrid.. and Cadillac, the other non-German is still touting 3 engines.. two of which are V8s

#51 ·
I am actually surprised there is a 2020 model, period. Thought they wouldbuild out the 2019 till end of December. The Detroit Hamtamack facility where the CT6 (and Impala) are built is schedule for permanent shutdown in January 2020. So the 2020 CT6 will have a short production run (Aug 5 to Jan xx) about 5+ months. So they are probably limiting the engines and options (certifications/paperwork) for such limited production.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.