Cadillac CT5 Review: A Step Backwards

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac CT5 Review: A Step Backwards

Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,086 Posts

Cadillac CT5 Review: A Step Backwards

New Cadillac CT5 Is a Step Backwards
    CarandDriver

For 2020, Cadillac updated the CTS and renamed it the CT5. While much is shared with its CTS predecessor, the new name is part of Cadillac's attempt to hone its sedan strategy. Cadillac's previous strategy created two sedans that didn't quite line up in size against the competition. The CT5 is significantly revised, but the 350T version powered by the turbocharged 2.0-liter four cylinder isn't going to upset the sports-sedan order. While it might be better positioned against the BMW 3-series in terms of price and size, it has lost some of the satisfying handling and performance that distinguished the CTS and ATS sedans...

Full article at CarandDriver
    Starting a new thread for review discussion so that you guys can keep the Escalade thread clean....You're welcome
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

CJH (02-06-2020),dslay04 (02-09-2020),gkr778 (02-07-2020),nadepalma (02-06-2020),steve333 (02-06-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: C/D 1.30.20 New Cadillac CT5 Is a Step Backwards

My take...GM needs to stop introducing sedans from the bottom trims up and start rolling out the HiPo variants first and lower trims later, use the Porsche model. Sedans on the whole are becoming niche and Cadillac's volume is low as is, start off with the High performance models to gen up interest and let the lower end get trickle down sales from the high end.

This review is going to be a lot of people's first exposure to the CT5, and it ain't good and it isn't the only negative review on the CT5. The 2.0T is less powerful than it's predecessor and slower by a considerable margin, the powertrain negativity is warranted. Another thing that is crippling it is that while it's a full size bigger than it's competition, it's size lends itself to be not as precise, so the handling complaints are warranted as well. And again, GM with the feature mish mash, I can get adaptive cruise on an LS Equinox standard but I have to option up here, shame how it's being handled because it is a sharp looking car.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (02-09-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    My take...GM needs to stop introducing sedans from the bottom trims up and start rolling out the HiPo variants first and lower trims later, use the Porsche model. Sedans on the whole are becoming niche and Cadillac's volume is low as is, start off with the High performance models to gen up interest and let the lower end get trickle down sales from the high end.

This review is going to be a lot of people's first exposure to the CT5, and it ain't good and it isn't the only negative review on the CT5. The 2.0T is less powerful than it's predecessor and slower by a considerable margin, the powertrain negativity is warranted. Another thing that is crippling it is that while it's a full size bigger than it's competition, it's size lends itself to be not as precise, so the handling complaints are warranted as well. And again, GM with the feature mish mash, I can get adaptive cruise on an LS Equinox standard but I have to option up here, shame how it's being handled because it is a sharp looking car.
    Agree. Should drop the good one first to build excitement and sizzle around the model then drop the others to fill out the range.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 91fairladyZ View Post
    Agree. Should drop the good one first to build excitement and sizzle around the model then drop the others to fill out the range.
    At least have the 3.0T PremLux available @ launch. Flooding the market w/ the mediocre 2.0Ts is cutting it's feet off before it can walk.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

dannyg (02-06-2020),dslay04 (02-09-2020),eb110americana (02-07-2020),richmond2000 (02-09-2020),Z Fury (02-07-2020)

Thanks

Re: Cadillac CT5 Review: A Step Backwards

I've mentioned this article in the new Escalade thread. It's so typical a GM hit piece from C/D. The only thing I can agree with in this article is that they should have more standard power, even though most people won't care. C/D buries all the good news (like good brakes, accurate steering, stiff structure, good rear legroom) inside of their poison pen that basically dismisses the car as a total fail. Too bad it didn't have a Korean badge on it, it would be written about the second coming of the cruiser sedan.

My bet is that a softer ride is much more pleasing to most of the luxury buyers, and they can still offer a track-oriented suspension in their V type variants. And the interior is at least 3 times nicer in real life than their jaundiced eyes see it as (especially the wood trim versions while theirs was the carbon trim-- one of the things they deem too many textures). It's a truly upscale sedan at a very attractive price, and soon it will have SuperCruise available that will be the icing on the cake.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yamahr1 For This Useful Post:

dannyg (02-06-2020),Evo69 (02-06-2020),jzchev28 (02-07-2020),SRFCTY (02-07-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 hydrogen's Avatar
    Thanks

Ugliest Cadillac model to hit showrooms in the last decade, no question. I literally hate everything about the car other than acceptable interior. How can Cadillac execute to the highest degree with the all-new showstopper Escalade and fail terribly with the CT5?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hydrogen For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (02-06-2020),yello430 (02-08-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
    Ugliest Cadillac model to hit showrooms in the last decade, no question. I literally hate everything about the car other than acceptable interior. How can Cadillac execute to the highest degree with the all-new showstopper Escalade and fail terribly with the CT5?
    YET!!! Everyone who was within spitting distance of some cat at the Costco fueling his up was in awe and gave the guy mad props on his CT5. It was a Sport model due to the Black trim
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (02-06-2020),jzchev28 (02-07-2020)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Prior CTS was a great car with a price jump that the buyers of the gen 2 car were unwilling to swallow. Cadillac sunk it's most successful nameplate in years.

This car may fall short of the CTS, but the price is right. Hopefully they can regain some of the old CTS buyers and boost sedan sales a bit. There's a lot right with this car and I think the gen 2 CTS buyers may see Cadillac coming back to them
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,518 Times in 2,282 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    YET!!! Everyone who was within spitting distance of some cat at the Costco fueling his up was in awe and gave the guy mad props on his CT5. It was a Sport model due to the Black trim
    You know how it goes. The haters are always going to hate, and that also includes the auto rags as well as the keyboard jockeys here, there, and everywhere.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (02-07-2020),SRFCTY (02-07-2020),yamahr1 (02-06-2020)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Why do multiple textures bother them?

I've read the same about my ATS. So what? Yes, multiple interior materials. But all of them of good quality with great build quality.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (02-07-2020),SRFCTY (02-07-2020),wallus13 (02-06-2020),yamahr1 (02-06-2020)

Thanks

Here's the thing.. and the reason why I really wish GM would stop listing to certain individuals because we are back to the old "Let's compare the CTS numbers against the 3Series/etc.. even tho we know its the same size as the 5Series.. but its priced closer the 3Series."

Check this out..
    Shortened overhangs reduce overall length compared to the CTS, but the CT5's measurements are still closer to a BMW 5-series than a 3-series. Despite having a larger footprint than a 3-series, our rear-drive CT5 with the turbo four weighed a mere 41 pounds more than a similarly equipped BMW 330i.
    On those all-season tires, the CT5 managed 0.92 g of grip on the skidpad and its 70-to-zero-mph braking distance of 161 feet. Those numbers aren't bad, but they would have landed the CT5 near the back of the pack in our recent comparison test of the segment.
    C&D

Those two quotes are perhaps they greatest and most blatant omissions of logic and contradiction in automotive press history. LET ME EXPLAIN.

"We know the CT5 is literally the same size as the 5 Series.. BUUUUT we are gonna compare it to smaller 3Series.. and HEY.. Despite the engineering feat of actually producing a car that is as large as the BMW 5 and larger than the smaller 3.. it WEIGHS about the same as the 3.. We won't really play up that feat as a stroke of genius engineering.. F**K that!"

Then..

"We're making this statement for the hell of it.. the CT5, again is larger, but we're gonna say that it would have, in braking distance and lateral gs on the 300ft skidpad, landed in the back of our last comparison of small compact luxos.. even tho we admitted it was a mid-size (by stating that it competes in size with the 5Series. Yeah.. the CT5.. the larger car only handles as well as the Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q2 and 2020 Volvo S60 T5 Momentum."

Other Cars it was being Compared to in C&D

Again the CT5 is almost 7 inches longer than the Volvo and almost a FOOT longer than the Guilia.

The GAME IS RIGGED.. and U all know I'm telling the truth. GM should have never went back to the tweener price strategy.. The CTS lost sales because they FAILED at supporting it with variants and proper marketing even when it won COTY.. not because it was too big or cost more
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

bronco5280 (02-07-2020),dslay04 (02-09-2020)

Thanks

I don't think the CT5 is a bad car...there are some questionable bits about the interior (my peeve, the redundant volume controls below the screen) and the likely lower door plastic gripe. BTW constantly bitching about mags ragging on the lower door trim doesn't change the fact that GM does indeed use some of the flimsiest materials down there. You want mags to stop mentioning lower door trim, GM needs to spend the extra 40-50 bucks per unit to upgrade the material. I've bought 3 cars in the past year and a half and test driven god knows how many from crapboxes, prem midsize sedans to entry premium CUVs and GM along w/ Nissan were the worst offenders w/ infrequently touched interior materials.

Anyway, on to the CT5 - I don't think GM wants the CT5 to succeed, it may be a money loser at that pricepoint and they're probably thinking that financially they'd be better off without it ala Malibu Hybrid. That's the only explanation for this weird rollout.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

24. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

ryannel2003 (02-07-2020)

Thanks

Oh.. and to the interiors... I'm trying to figure out what is special and luxo feeling in the 3 Series versus this CT5 interior

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-07-2020),bronco5280 (02-07-2020),dslay04 (02-09-2020),eb110americana (02-07-2020),Evo69 (02-06-2020),jzchev28 (02-07-2020),Mr.Buttons (02-06-2020),SRFCTY (02-07-2020),yamahr1 (02-06-2020)

Thanks

Here's the thing.. and the reason why I really wish GM would stop listing to certain individuals because we are back to the old "Let's compare the CTS numbers against the 3Series/etc.. even tho we know its the same size as the 5Series.. but its priced closer the 3Series."

Check this out..

C&D

Those two quotes are perhaps they greatest and most blatant omissions of logic and contradiction in automotive press history. LET ME EXPLAIN.

"We know the CT5 is literally the same size as the 5 Series.. BUUUUT we are gonna compare it to smaller 3Series.. and HEY.. Despite the engineering feat of actually producing a car that is as large as the BMW 5 and larger than the smaller 3.. it WEIGHS about the same as the 3.. We won't really play up that feat as a stroke of genius engineering.. F**K that!"

Then..

"We're making this statement for the hell of it.. the CT5, again is larger, but we're gonna say that it would have, in braking distance and lateral gs on the 300ft skidpad, landed in the back of our last comparison of small compact luxos.. even tho we admitted it was a mid-size (by stating that it competes in size with the 5Series. Yeah.. the CT5.. the larger car only handles as well as the Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q2 and 2020 Volvo S60 T5 Momentum."

Other Cars it was being Compared to in C&D

Again the CT5 is almost 7 inches longer than the Volvo and almost a FOOT longer than the Guilia.

The GAME IS RIGGED.. and U all know I'm telling the truth. GM should have never went back to the tweener price strategy.. The CTS lost sales because they FAILED at supporting it with variants and proper marketing even when it won COTY.. not because it was too big or cost more
    I fought that battle a long time ago...I agree the CT5 is the CTS replacement and not a rival to the 3/C/Gulia...but GM wants to spec its competition by price and not size...IMO dumb as ****ing hell.

But I disagree w/ why the CTS failed at the higher pricepoint...it had 2 things going against it from jump.

1. It was 20% more than the Gen 2...IMO the Gen 3 CTS should've been called the STS and the ATS been called the CTS
    2. You're not going to agree with it and its fine....the build quality wasn't up to par w/ the E/A6/5 Series...its one thing to price up to your comp but you better freaking bring it if you do so...powerplant wise, yes it was damn good, but the little things, interior trimming/fit and finish/and so on were behind still.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

28. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

CJH (02-06-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Oh.. and to the interiors... I'm trying to figure out what is special and luxo feeling in the 3 Series versus this CT5 interior]
    As usual, you assume that they haven't criticized the competition as well. 2019 BMW 330i xDrive road test: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Quote Originally Posted by Car and Driver
    Part of the M Sport package is a SensaTec-wrapped instrument panel that cheapens the interior because the vinyl in no way resembles leather. Then again, the seating surfaces are cow-sourced and they don't look particularly rich, either, despite the Vernasca leather's $1700 asking price. A hard-plastic center tunnel and the Aluminum Tetragon trim firmly quash any further luxury fantasies. There are three no-cost wood trims to choose from. Go with one of those.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpens For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (02-12-2020)

31. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information