GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac CT5 and CT6 Trademarks Filed with USPTO

8K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  Cajun G8 
#1 ·
Cadillac CT5 and CT6 Trademarks Filed with the US Patent and Trademark Office
by Mircea Panait
7th August 2014

When it comes to SUVs, the Cadillac brand currently boasts with only two models: the SRX crossover and the Escalade. But GM's luxury division has filed trademark applications for CT5, Cadillac CT5, CT6 and Cadillac CT6 nameplates, which suggests that two all-new models will be launched in the following years.

Why SUVs? Well, the current Cadillac lineup is chuck full of sedans and coupes, but lacks lifestyle crossover vehicles such as Buick's Encore and Enclave, for example. Identified under serial numbers 86343074, 86343063, 86343098 and 86343083, the trademark applications have been submitted with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on July 21st.

CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLUTION.COM

#2 · (Edited)
Interesting, but wonder if such moniker's would actually be applied to an SUV or crossover? Not loving the names, but I'm assuming that "CT" would stand for "Cadillac Truck"? Wouldn't "CX#" have been better?

Would that mean that Caddy's sedans would be "CS4", "CS7", etc? Or Caddy convertibles and coupes being dubbed as "CC4" or "CC5", et al?

If there was a "letter" that identifies most with Cadillac, I guess it would be "C" since the CTS is so well known and is arguably Caddy's most recognizable nameplate. However, I wonder if this is limiting and they should use another letter altogether?

Back in the day (before they started getting "names" in the 1960s), Cadillac cars used Series, Model, and Type designations almost exclusively. They had model designations like Fisher Fleetwood, but I think they were more along the lines of trim-levels today than stand alone products.

If they wanted to go back to a historical designation, maybe using names like "Series 30" or "Series C" or "Type 40" makes more sense than CT#?

Going back before the bankruptcy, there was a rumor that the "next DTS" would have adopted the DT7 nameplate (and been based on a version of Zeta). Those plans fell apart thanks to GM's financial woes, but the seeds were laid. There was a whole host of names trademarked at the time (in Europe and Canada), including DT7, CT6, CT5, BT3, AT1, DTX, CTX, and BTX.

With Johann de Nysschen having changed Infiniti's name-structure to Q and QX -- and with Uwe Ellinghaus having previously stated that he's working on a more unified moniker scheme for Cadillac -- it seems like only a matter of time before we see a shift toward a new naming system in the next few years. My guess is that, as vehicles come up for their own MCEs, we'll see names change.

Regardless, let's hope that, at some point, a naming scheme is chosen that brings some sense of "rationality" to Caddy's lineup.

Reactions: dslay04
#4 ·
i wonder when real names will be back in style again. i miss names like el dorado, seville, deville, etc. the current luxury car market is flooded with numbers and letters. would be great to break that trend.

#5 ·
I'm wondering if they couldn't "readopt" what they seemed to have done in the 1950s? That is, they'd have a "number designation" with a name afterward to set it apart? i.e. Series 62 Eldorado.

#6 ·
It seems to me a CTS based crossover should be called CTX as an ATS based one should be called ATX! Adding numbers makes no sense and just confuses the entire naming scheme! I still like the Series and number that Cadillac use to use! I could see ATS as the Series 20 in sedan form and Series 22 in Coupe form! If they wanted to do a ATS based crossover then call it Series 25 for five doors! The same could be done for the other models like CTS could become the Series 60 and so forth! At least that would make sense Cadillac! CT6 & CT7 makes NO SENSE!!

#13 ·
Very original. Nobody's thought of putting a C and a T together with numbers. This is the kind of creativity and risk that leaders engage in. Cadillac can now proudly display their 'Penalty of Leadership' plaque once again. It's been a long time coming but Caddy is finally leading again. Just brilliant!

#14 ·
Smh.

#15 ·
Just build the cars, I don't care about the names. :)

They need something simple. The Germans had something simple before the model proliferation - 3 Series, 5 Series, etc.; C Class, E, Class, S Class; A4, A6, A8, etc.. Mercedes is getting really confusing now with multiple letters like CLS, same as Lincoln with the multiple letters and lack of strong vehicle identity. The number names worked fine when there were only a handful of models with very strong identies. Now, for example, Mercedes has a ton of different vehicles, so many now that they don't have strong identies to me anymore, so when I hear "CLS" I have no idea what vehicle they are talking about nor do I understand their naming convention so I can't figure out what the CLS is. I'm sure if I took the time to study they names it would make sense, but I'm not intersted in doing that - the name of a car shouldn't be a homework project.

Whatever Cadillac does I think they need to keep it simple and very logical - learn from what the Germans used to do and how they are messing it up now.

#16 · (Edited)
Here we go again , Cadillac doesn't have the CUV,SUV assortment offered by Buick , soon to be joined by the middie Envision , so they need to expand the lineup to what , compete with Buick ?? The price range will be somewhat comparable , profits are probably just as comparable , so now we can look forward to Cadillac using the same body platforms as Buick and have Buick sales leached by Cadillac ? In my opinion , the past is littered with Cadillac discontinued poor selling models and over the past couple of years introduced more car models when the buying public was switching to CUVs and SUVs . Now they see the light and once again the huge assortment of vehicles offered by GM grows again . What if some intelligent CEO or Board ,stipulated that in order to expand the line ups offered by the company's divisions , each division wanting to expand its line up must drop an equal amount of slow selling vehicles . Put some responsibility of performance to the company , into the mix , and hopefully these divisions/GM will forced to wake up and lock into what the marketplace is trending/buying and be there when it begins , not after the fact .My god , how can a monster company overloaded with corporate management ever get to make important timely decisions , is frankly beyond me , but it is long overdue , in my opinion !!

#18 ·
"lifestyle crossover vehicles"

What exactly does this mean? A lousy front wheel drive 4 or 6 cylinder car that sits up too high and has a hatchback with a "13.1" sticker on the rear glass?

Sheesh. I absolutely don't understand the fascination with these things.

#23 ·
I'm hoping these names are just going to be used for concepts or design studies, not production models.

Reactions: johnstarnes
#32 ·
I thought I remembered reading sometime back that there would be an Escalade "family" of vehicles. Is it possible (if these new names are for SUVS/CUVS) that they could be paired with Escalade? (i.e. Escalade CT5 or CT5 Escalade?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.