Cadillac CT5 and CT6 Trademarks Filed with USPTO

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac CT5 and CT6 Trademarks Filed with USPTO

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 923 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Cadillac CT5 and CT6 Trademarks Filed with USPTO

Cadillac CT5 and CT6 Trademarks Filed with the US Patent and Trademark Office
    by Mircea Panait
    7th August 2014

When it comes to SUVs, the Cadillac brand currently boasts with only two models: the SRX crossover and the Escalade. But GM's luxury division has filed trademark applications for CT5, Cadillac CT5, CT6 and Cadillac CT6 nameplates, which suggests that two all-new models will be launched in the following years.

Why SUVs? Well, the current Cadillac lineup is chuck full of sedans and coupes, but lacks lifestyle crossover vehicles such as Buick's Encore and Enclave, for example. Identified under serial numbers 86343074, 86343063, 86343098 and 86343083, the trademark applications have been submitted with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on July 21st.

CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLUTION.COM
    "La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Cadillac CT5 and CT6 Trademarks Filed with USPTO

Interesting, but wonder if such moniker's would actually be applied to an SUV or crossover? Not loving the names, but I'm assuming that "CT" would stand for "Cadillac Truck"? Wouldn't "CX#" have been better?

Would that mean that Caddy's sedans would be "CS4", "CS7", etc? Or Caddy convertibles and coupes being dubbed as "CC4" or "CC5", et al?

If there was a "letter" that identifies most with Cadillac, I guess it would be "C" since the CTS is so well known and is arguably Caddy's most recognizable nameplate. However, I wonder if this is limiting and they should use another letter altogether?

Back in the day (before they started getting "names" in the 1960s), Cadillac cars used Series, Model, and Type designations almost exclusively. They had model designations like Fisher Fleetwood, but I think they were more along the lines of trim-levels today than stand alone products.

If they wanted to go back to a historical designation, maybe using names like "Series 30" or "Series C" or "Type 40" makes more sense than CT#?

Going back before the bankruptcy, there was a rumor that the "next DTS" would have adopted the DT7 nameplate (and been based on a version of Zeta). Those plans fell apart thanks to GM's financial woes, but the seeds were laid. There was a whole host of names trademarked at the time (in Europe and Canada), including DT7, CT6, CT5, BT3, AT1, DTX, CTX, and BTX.

With Johann de Nysschen having changed Infiniti's name-structure to Q and QX -- and with Uwe Ellinghaus having previously stated that he's working on a more unified moniker scheme for Cadillac -- it seems like only a matter of time before we see a shift toward a new naming system in the next few years. My guess is that, as vehicles come up for their own MCEs, we'll see names change.

Regardless, let's hope that, at some point, a naming scheme is chosen that brings some sense of "rationality" to Caddy's lineup.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 08-07-2014 at 11:32 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (08-07-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

This is interesting.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

i wonder when real names will be back in style again. i miss names like el dorado, seville, deville, etc. the current luxury car market is flooded with numbers and letters. would be great to break that trend.
    Current:
    2012 Equinox LT2 2.4 AWD
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer LS 4200, 4wd
    1989 Geo Tracker base 4wd, 5spd, convertible 1.6

Past:
    2012 Impala LTZ 3.6, 2004 Monte Carlo LS 3400, 2003 Impala LS,

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gopedxr7 For This Useful Post:

boblutzfan (08-07-2014),ClassyEldo (08-08-2014),DetroitIron (08-08-2014),GMTruckGuy74 (08-07-2014),johnstarnes (08-07-2014),skylark68 (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by gopedxr7 View Post
    i wonder when real names will be back in style again. i miss names like el dorado, seville, deville, etc. the current luxury car market is flooded with numbers and letters. would be great to break that trend.
    I'm wondering if they couldn't "readopt" what they seemed to have done in the 1950s? That is, they'd have a "number designation" with a name afterward to set it apart? i.e. Series 62 Eldorado.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (08-07-2014)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

It seems to me a CTS based crossover should be called CTX as an ATS based one should be called ATX! Adding numbers makes no sense and just confuses the entire naming scheme! I still like the Series and number that Cadillac use to use! I could see ATS as the Series 20 in sedan form and Series 22 in Coupe form! If they wanted to do a ATS based crossover then call it Series 25 for five doors! The same could be done for the other models like CTS could become the Series 60 and so forth! At least that would make sense Cadillac! CT6 & CT7 makes NO SENSE!!

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,098 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Could this be for the sub-ATS car that Uwe Ellinghaus recently talked about?

Where there would/could be two levels of the car.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

So maybe the SRX will change its name to the CT5 and a Lamabad based mid-size will be called the CT6?
    Current Rides: 2007 Yukon Denali, 2010 BMW 335i xDrive , 1969 Chevelle Malibu, 1969 Chevy C20 (Current Project), 1977 Chevy K20 (Future Project)
    Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC AeroPower's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Saab 9-3 & 2011 BMW 128i

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    I'm wondering if they couldn't "readopt" what they seemed to have done in the 1950s? That is, they'd have a "number designation" with a name afterward to set it apart? i.e. Series 62 Eldorado.
    THAT would be nice... DeVille CT6. Could these by engine designations or trim levels? ATS CT4 (Cadillac Turbo 4) CTS CT6 (Cadillac Turbo 6). Of course an entire portfolio name change wouldn't be a shock since that's what Mr de Nysschen did at Infiniti. . . .
    For the tenacious, no road is impassable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Cadillac CT5 and CT6 Trademarks Filed with the US Patent and Trademark Office
    by Mircea Panait
    7th August 2014

When it comes to SUVs, the Cadillac brand currently boasts with only two models: the SRX crossover and the Escalade. But GM's luxury division has filed trademark applications for CT5, Cadillac CT5, CT6 and Cadillac CT6 nameplates, which suggests that two all-new models will be launched in the following years.

Why SUVs? Well, the current Cadillac lineup is chuck full of sedans and coupes, but lacks lifestyle crossover vehicles such as Buick's Encore and Enclave, for example. Identified under serial numbers 86343074, 86343063, 86343098 and 86343083, the trademark applications have been submitted with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on July 21st.

CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLUTION.COM
    I've got a better idea - maybe they could use the patent numbers as model names.

2015 Cadillac 86343074 - wagon

2015 Cadillac 86343098 - crossover

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GM-10 For This Useful Post:

1.21 giggawatts (08-08-2014),johnstarnes (08-07-2014),richmond2000 (08-07-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 609 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

I'm not liking this! I consider myself pretty name savy and I get confused on Lincoln's names occasionally! I hope this isn't going to be like that!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Catera Touring 5 ?
    Catera Touring 6 ?
    Cimarron Touring 5 ?
    Cimarron Touring 6 ?

Are these people just punching in letter and numbers into a randomizer for their silly designations? Is Cadillac finally dropping the awful X this X that Cadillac XXX conventions?

Thanks
    My Ride
    BMW and GMC

Very original. Nobody's thought of putting a C and a T together with numbers. This is the kind of creativity and risk that leaders engage in. Cadillac can now proudly display their 'Penalty of Leadership' plaque once again. It's been a long time coming but Caddy is finally leading again. Just brilliant!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 32016 For This Useful Post:

nruggiero (08-07-2014)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Smh.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,884 Times in 3,958 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Just build the cars, I don't care about the names.

They need something simple. The Germans had something simple before the model proliferation - 3 Series, 5 Series, etc.; C Class, E, Class, S Class; A4, A6, A8, etc.. Mercedes is getting really confusing now with multiple letters like CLS, same as Lincoln with the multiple letters and lack of strong vehicle identity. The number names worked fine when there were only a handful of models with very strong identies. Now, for example, Mercedes has a ton of different vehicles, so many now that they don't have strong identies to me anymore, so when I hear "CLS" I have no idea what vehicle they are talking about nor do I understand their naming convention so I can't figure out what the CLS is. I'm sure if I took the time to study they names it would make sense, but I'm not intersted in doing that - the name of a car shouldn't be a homework project.

Whatever Cadillac does I think they need to keep it simple and very logical - learn from what the Germans used to do and how they are messing it up now.

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information