GM Inside News Forum banner

Cadillac CT4 vs Mercedes-Benz A 220

7K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  ksr 
#1 ·
Motor Trend admits this is not an apples to apples comparison, but finally, someone in the automobile critics world admits that Mercedes’ interior is getting too blingy.

Which Interior Is Nicer?
The interior design aesthetic of these cars could not be more different. The Mercedes is all blingy chrome air vent rings (with ambient lighting!), natural grain "Black Linden Wood" trim, contrasting Neva Gray and black MB-Tex upholstery, and those big screens. The Cadillac's Jet Black leather seats feature cognac piping and stitching that is continued on the dash and door trim. Even the seat perforations seem to reveal a cognac color—all of which looks worth the $1,000 upcharge. We have to see the Cadillac in Sangria with Jet Black accents as well as the Mercedes in the $1,450 Classic Red/Black combo, but for now the Caddy wins.
The Caddy even gets the nod for being more comfortable from the back seat (who saw that coming?).

A real performance comparison can’t be made Motor Trend admits until they get their hands on an A 35 AMG. Also, they are, again, using an AWD version of the CT4-V for the comparison, and we know that is not the best option for performance.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadillac/ct4/2020/cadillac-ct4-vs-mercedes-a220/

#7 ·
How is it a RWD car does not get the automatic win?
Motor Trend didn't pick a winner in this particular comparison. They stated:

Motor Trend said:
"Which One Should You Buy?

That's an assessment we can't make until we can line up the apples and oranges of each model line for proper head-to-head comparisons—maybe even with an Audi A3/S3 thrown in for good measure. Stay tuned."

Reactions: sdotjeezy
#4 ·
While not really a full on comparison, I fully expect the AT errr CT4 to wipe the floor with the A220....these two really aren't in the same class. IMO the CT4 is more of a spiritual successor/rival to the e40 3 Series.

#5 ·
They need to include the CLA as well since MB needs two value sedans instead of one. There aren’t that many sales to go around in the value lux market that’s why GM needed to beat the new A and redesigned CLA to market.

Reactions: CMiatso DaBang
#6 ·
I am getting more and more impressed with the CT4-V. The performance for the price is fantastic.

I am also really digging the 2.7t, the power and torque it is putting down have a significantly heavier CT4 running even with a LS1 F-Body.

If I were in the market for a compact car, I would absolutely have to consider the AT4-V.

Reactions: Tethys and BlackGTP
#11 ·
And Motor Trend has yet to test a RWD version of the CT4-V, which we know is the real performance car.

Reactions: gkr778
#14 ·
How come they both put the dash vents in the wrong place?

Reactions: Mr.Buttons
#15 ·
I thought the A-class was the ugly duckling but I just saw a 1-series sedan drive by. No way is that a BMW. I wouldn’t even want it to be a mini smh. But they will sell like hot cakes here in California and in NY.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons
#24 ·
That’s the way I see it. Aesthetically more pleasing interior available than what is available in the V with the cinnamon interior. The price is $4,000 less than the V. I’ve seen a simulator which basically predicts that the 450T and V would both have the same 0-60 times. The biggest difference would be quarter mile and, of course, in driving experience and premium luxury doesn’t have magneride, for example. The question is really if you prefer to have more of a performance car or more or a sports sedan with good ride/handling balance.

#26 ·
OK let me play contrarian! Let's say you don't have $45K or more to spend on a car. Why not get a base CT4 instead of say an Accord 2.0T Sport for roughly the same price? You get RWD goodness, a nicer interior/exterior (IMO), four year warranty vs three for the Accord. Admittedly you give up a whole bunch of tech. What if that's not important to you? Is it OK then to get the Caddy which could run you less than $30K with moderate discounts and GM Card?

Asking for a friend. ;););)

Reactions: wallus13
#30 ·
One advantage for Accord Sport (for me anyway) is that it still offers a 6-speed manual transmission in the U.S. market. CT4, along with all other compact executive sedans except Genesis G70, are automatic or DCT only for the U.S.

:drive:

Reactions: dannyg
#35 · (Edited)
The pricing for SuperCruise on the Slade is out, which got me thinking about what it would cost on the CT4/CT5. Caddy has said it will be available on both for 2021 (who knows if covid will affect that date).

According to Caddy Society you need PremLux or Sport, all the Driver Assist packages, then it's a $2500 add-on charge for SC. (Or Platinum plus the $2500.) That's for the Slade.

If you tick all the tech packages on a PremLux CT4 you get to $44.5K MSRP...add $2500 to that you've got $47K for a SuperCruise PremLux CT4.

If you tick all the tech packages on a PremLux CT5 you get to $50K MSRP...add $2500 to that you've got $52.5K for a SuperCruise PremLux CT5.

To be clear this is speculation on my part about the pricing! A quick check on tesla.com shows the Model 3 at $47K with autopilot (minimum, higher for Long Range versions etc), so if this estimate is close that's certainly competitive.

http://cadillacsociety.com/2020/05/...uise-will-cost-on-the-2021-cadillac-escalade/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30681241/cadillac-escalade-ct4-ct5-2021-super-cruise/

#36 ·
Interesting. I thought the up charge for super cruise on the CT6 was something like $6k. Which I thought was obscene. But maybe I am misremembering! Even at $2500, which seems reasonable for the tech, I’m kind of out in the sticks and have very limited opportunities to use it.

#40 ·
Saw a couple of CT4s at the dealership recently. Overall, a really nice looking car.

One quibble with it. In pics, I really like the tail. And for the most part, in person, I still did. But it's a little bland. You have the round backup camera there, which is fine, but around it there's nothing. It looks very bland. The CHMSL is in the rear window. I think the tail would have looked better if they have put the center brake light into the top of trunk, like the CTS had.

#41 ·
Was at the dealership yesterday. What I noticed was color. Seems like I see way more cars on the lot in red, blue, green, burnt orange, some shade of purple... Before it seemed like you had three choices when buying off the lot, black, white, silver. I like it. I thought the burnt orange looked really good on the CT4.

#44 · (Edited)
I think this is a very positive change. I hope it lasts. I rather like the CT5 in green.

When Cadillac has tried the burnt orange before, it hasn't lasted. That was a featured color of the original 2003 CTS. Lasted one year. It was promoted quite a bit with the XT4; I wonder what the the take rate is on that.

#45 ·
From what I read in the years shortly after the requirement of the CHMSL, it was one of those do-good government requirements for which there was absolutely zero proof that it improved safety at all.

I'd go with style and build it into the trunk lid. I'd bet it's in the window because it was cheaper to build.

Even if not the light, I just think the trunk lid could use something there. The ones I was looking at were pretty basic models, one under $34K. Maybe a higher trim level has a spoiler or something to fill in the blank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.