Cadillac CT4 and CT4-V pricing revealed, starts at $33,990 - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cadillac CT4 and CT4-V pricing revealed, starts at $33,990

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cadillac CT4 and CT4-V pricing revealed, starts at $33,990

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    This is likely to be the best car in its price segment.

Mercedes A Class 188hp 221lb-ft FWD
    Audi A3 228hp 258lb-ft FWD
    Cadillac CT4 237hp 258lb-ft RWD

Audi S3 288hp 280lb-ft AWD (front bias)
    Mercedes A35 AMG 302 hp 295lb-ft AWD (front bias)
    Cadillac CT4-V 325hp 380lb-ft RWD (AWD optional)
    With all that torque spread across the RPM range it should be a blast to drive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wallus13 View Post
    This is the only major problem I had with my ATS.
    You should have gotten the HUD then - no reason to use the gauge cluster with it . While the ATS's gauge cluster isn't very special or inspiring, it is not "embarrassing" or even low quality - there are many same age cars out there with way worse clusters and I'm sure if you put the car in front of most people they'd find the gauges rather nice. It's stupid that the gauge cluster became a thing to rile people up into a stoning fervor; the internet-rage, group-think on this one makes reasonable discourse scarce. 4 year ATS owner here - gonna go drive mine now and be just fine with the gauges, especially as the HUD lets me keep my eyes on the road.

Hopefully Cadillac has some 2.7T CT4 loaners when the next thing goes wrong with the car though lol.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sydtron For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (10-15-2019),Mr.Buttons (10-16-2019),Vagon11 (10-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,203 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by sydtron View Post
    While the ATS's gauge cluster isn't very special or inspiring, it is not "embarrassing" or even low quality - there are many same age cars out there with way worse clusters and I'm sure if you put the car in front of most people they'd find the gauges rather nice.
    +1
    BMW F3x instrument cluster (other than the 6WB digital one) is worse than ATS' in just about all respects: the BMW's isn't backlit during daylight operation, the nighttime illumination uses an ugly orange color, the design is old, the multi function display is small, and the top of the steering column obscures certain readouts.

Generally speaking, GM does a great job with its vehicle instrument clusters. They are user friendly and well designed.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    Nice lol. It's simple really, they got bored with crying about some little window trim piece, especially when they saw it wasn't the deal breaker they were hoping for. Now they found something new to latch onto hoping to dissuade potential buyers. Now they can in their mind justify that it doesn't come standard with a taint tickler like the 3 series it is a failure.
    I would love a "taint tickler" standard in my new first ever CT-4/5. It could give the wife so much needed rest.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    +1
    BMW F3x instrument cluster (other than the 6WB digital one) is worse than ATS' in just about all respects: the BMW's isn't backlit during daylight operation, the nighttime illumination uses an ugly orange color, the design is old, the multi function display is small, and the top of the steering column obscures certain readouts.

Generally speaking, GM does a great job with its vehicle instrument clusters. They are user friendly and well designed.
    Let's not go too far ahead of ourselves - the "Binnacle-era" GM products were terrible to use (mostly Chevy's), I always felt I had the wrong vantage point to see all the gauges clearly in those cars. That and the 80's GM blue-green they kept using was awful. I'd rather the ATS put the tachometer a little closer to the middle and made larger (especially when the LFX makes peak power just shy of fuel cutoff), but visibility might be compromised with the steering wheel unless they moved the DIC, which I wouldn't want them to move as I quite like the DIC location and implementation (central, but out of the way).

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 852 Posts

Lets play a little game called Guess that Gauge cluster:

The point I'm making is that

1. Stop encouraging/excusing mediocrity...the ATSs cluster is bad, no bones about it, "just look at the HUD", BMW, Audi and Merc have huds as well...their gauge clusters aren't nearly as bad.
    2. The ATS cluster shows no attention to detail, just a speedo/tach/fuel/temp cutouts on an empty black canvas...no trim to border individual segments or anything...they didn't even bother to disguise the cutout. as bad as you say the '13 3 series was, at least there was some sort of trim for each element.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Sierra Denali Ultimate

You should have gotten the HUD then - no reason to use the gauge cluster with it . While the ATS's gauge cluster isn't very special or inspiring, it is not "embarrassing" or even low quality - there are many same age cars out there with way worse clusters and I'm sure if you put the car in front of most people they'd find the gauges rather nice. It's stupid that the gauge cluster became a thing to rile people up into a stoning fervor; the internet-rage, group-think on this one makes reasonable discourse scarce. 4 year ATS owner here - gonna go drive mine now and be just fine with the gauges, especially as the HUD lets me keep my eyes on the road.

Hopefully Cadillac has some 2.7T CT4 loaners when the next thing goes wrong with the car though lol.

Mine had HUD but the gauge cluster still exists in the car where you can see it... You should have changed your rant to CUE and then I would agree with you. CUE was great and it seemed the people that had issues with it were technologically illiterate.
    Last edited by wallus13; 10-16-2019 at 01:02 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wallus13 For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (10-16-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Lets play a little game called Guess that Gauge cluster:

1. Stop encouraging/excusing mediocrity...the ATSs cluster is bad, no bones about it, "just look at the HUD", BMW, Audi and Merc have huds as well...their gauge clusters aren't nearly as bad.
    2. The ATS cluster shows no attention to detail, just a speedo/tach/fuel/temp cutouts on an empty black canvas...no trim to border individual segments or anything...they didn't even bother to disguise the cutout. as bad as you say the '13 3 series was, at least there was some sort of trim for each element.
    1. Binnacle Chevy garbage
    2. Binnacle-esque garbage. Was going to say Mustang, but no dumb "groundspeed" - that and Ford info screens are ergonomic and intuitivity disasters. No Speedo or Tach near the middle so not great for a driver's car whomever's it is, plus numbers that rotate are inherently harder to read. Nice brightwork, but is ultimately distracting.
    3. Looks Mazda-ish. Nice centered Speedo and nice integration of the info screens - but those screens don't really well reflect what info they're displaying by displaying too much too close, they use kitchen oven font, and they clog up the speedo and distract from function. Nice detailing though.
    4. Hmm Speedo right up front and center, clear and simple, not overwrought with detailing. Screen clearly displays information and doesn't obscure gauges. Tach is kinda far away though. Oh wait this is the ATS!

I guess I just don't care as much about detailing and brightwork as much as a functionally pleasant design. Also at less bright hours it looks like this, which pretty darn spartan and focused:
    https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp...ht-450x192.jpg

Maybe I'm just not the right person to evaluate gauge clusters; below is one of my favorites, probably because redline points right to the center where you would quick look (not to mention it ain't cluttered) and the orangey-red lighting and leaning characters read "Sporty!" to me:
    Cluster_Mazda_6_2003_2008_SKU_1096__70900.jpg

My antagonizing aside, I'm just saying that the ATS gauges are not the garbage design you think they are and shouldn't be the linchpin for the car - a couple of chrome rings wasn't going to solve this model's sale-ability or erase perceived mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by wallus13 View Post
    Mine had HUD but the gauge cluster still exists in the car where you can see it... You should have changed your rant to CUE and then I would agree with you. CUE was great and it seemed the people that had issues with it were technologically illiterate.
    Oh CUE - CUE, CUE, CUE...I wouldn't say it is great, but I wholeheartedly agree it is not close to the mess people rage that it is. The main problem is speed - I always have to tell my passengers to use it like you're talking to a grandparent; deliberately and with patience. CUE was ambitious and I'd say it is pretty to look at and intuitive, both at launch and today. GM should have ponied up for some Cortex A9 ARM cores though, and not ARM11 cores that were already 8 years old - if it had been fast and responsive, I'm guessing reviewers would have found it easier to not get cranky about the center stack UI. Still, I argue the gauges are not that bad, especially when driving the car - they are clean, centered and legible, which I care more about when I throw the MR shocks into "Sport", tap the solid magnesium paddles down a few gears and tear up a curvy road. That is why I bought an ATS.

Thanks

1. Binnacle Chevy garbage
    2. Binnacle-esque garbage. Was going to say Mustang, but no dumb "groundspeed" - that and Ford info screens are ergonomic and intuitivity disasters. No Speedo or Tach near the middle so not great for a driver's car whomever's it is, plus numbers that rotate are inherently harder to read. Nice brightwork, but is ultimately distracting.
    3. Looks Mazda-ish. Nice centered Speedo and nice integration of the info screens - but those screens don't really well reflect what info they're displaying by displaying too much too close, they use kitchen oven font, and they clog up the speedo and distract from function. Nice detailing though.
    4. Hmm Speedo right up front and center, clear and simple, not overwrought with detailing. Screen clearly displays information and doesn't obscure gauges. Tach is kinda far away though. Oh wait this is the ATS!

I guess I just don't care as much about detailing and brightwork as much as a functionally pleasant design. Also at less bright hours it looks like this, which pretty darn spartan and focused:
    https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp...ht-450x192.jpg

Maybe I'm just not the right person to evaluate gauge clusters; below is one of my favorites, probably because redline points right to the center where you would quick look (not to mention it ain't cluttered) and the orangey-red lighting and leaning characters read "Sporty!" to me:
    Cluster_Mazda_6_2003_2008_SKU_1096__70900.jpg

My antagonizing aside, I'm just saying that the ATS gauges are not the garbage design you think they are and shouldn't be the linchpin for the car - a couple of chrome rings wasn't going to solve this model's sale-ability or erase perceived mediocrity.

Oh CUE - CUE, CUE, CUE...I wouldn't say it is great, but I wholeheartedly agree it is not close to the mess people rage that it is. The main problem is speed - I always have to tell my passengers to use it like you're talking to a grandparent; deliberately and with patience. CUE was ambitious and I'd say it is pretty to look at and intuitive, both at launch and today. GM should have ponied up for some Cortex A9 ARM cores though, and not ARM11 cores that were already 8 years old - if it had been fast and responsive, I'm guessing reviewers would have found it easier to not get cranky about the center stack UI. Still, I argue the gauges are not that bad, especially when driving the car - they are clean, centered and legible, which I care more about when I throw the MR shocks into "Sport", tap the solid magnesium paddles down a few gears and tear up a curvy road. That is why I bought an ATS.
    1. 2014 Chevy Malibu
    2. 2015 Toyota Corolla
    3. are you ready for this one...2017 Nissan Versa Note; the cheapest new car you can buy in the USA
    4. the $60,000 2018 ATS-V

What I'm getting at is that Cadillac should offer a gauge cluster that is better than a mainstream economy car....I specifically used the 2018 ATS because at that point, it should've gone through a MCE to fix the lackluster cluster....(that **** rhymed!). It shows that GM isn't committed to building a luxury car, but merely a great Pontiac...yeah I said it.

Now I don't consider this a nit pick, but if you look at it as someone who isn't a Cadillac fan or just a plain old customer, stuff like this can turn them off. I get it you like it, but to be honest, you would've liked it regardless of what it is/was, GM has you in the fold, no need to impress you.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Here it is folks, BMW’s fabulous (sarcasm) 2 series sedan:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...e-photos-info/

Based on the photos, I’d take a RWD CT4 over this FWD job any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Final price isn’t announced but it should be in the low 30s per article. To be fair should wait to see both for reals. (I’ve seen the CT5 at a car show but not the CT4.)
    Last edited by dannyg; 10-17-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (10-19-2019),Vagon11 (12-16-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    Here it is folks, BMW’s fabulous (sarcasm) 2 series sedan:

Based on the photos, I’d take a RWD CT4 over this FWD job any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Final price isn’t announced but it should be in the low 30s per article. To be fair should wait to see both for reals. (I’ve seen the CT5 at a car show but not the CT4.)
    Whoever came up w/ this pricing/marketing strategy at Cadillac is a diabolical individual that must enjoy beating up handicapped children. Sure the CT4 is better than the 2 Series sedan, but a competitor to it...it isn't. Not even remotely the same class of car. I'll leave it at that.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I may be crazy, but I dont want cheap Cadillacs...it takes away the prestige of owning one. The problem was the obvious corners cut while simultaneuosly raising the price. If the high price was there along with true no corners cut quality, then they would've been able to justify the cost.
    Sorry, there is no way around the fact that Cadillac has no choice but undercut pricing in order to establish itself in the Luxury Segment whether you believe it or not.

Don't think so?

What did BMW and MB both do with the 1 & 2 Series and CLA to establish them in the segment??

Undercut the price to become established.

Did it work?

Yes

Competitors scrambled to create their own "1 & 2 Series and CLA", just in time to see the segment disappear.

Meanwhile BMW and MB raised the prices of the 1 & 2 Series and CLA after they established themselves in the segment.

Cadillac has to take the hit on pricing/profits AND make the cars worthy of a Premium Price before it can charge premium prices - no shortcuts allowed.

Thanks

The CLA and 1/2 didnt undercut the segment....they established the sub c/3 segment. Not the same as what Cadillac is trying to do...Cadillac is taking what is a 3/C segment car and is pricing it against the lower segment.

As I said before....there isnt anything wrong with pricing up to your competitors...but the content has to match the price....the CTS and ATS skimped out on the details
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

The BMW X1-based 228i Xdrive sedan pricing is out, starts around $38,500 (AWD is standard) not low-30s as C&D expected:

Thats roughly halfway between a base AWD CT4 and a PremLux AWD CT4. RWD CT4 is less, of course.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

Dovetonsils (12-16-2019)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information