Cadillac is Changing is Badging System Again

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadillac is Changing is Badging System Again

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Cadillac is Changing is Badging System Again

Cadillac is changing its vehicle badging system again:

Cadillac's new badging system torques comprehension
    Henry Payne
    The Detroit News
    March 13, 2019
    detroitnews.com

As Cadillac moves its headquarters from New York to Warren, its ZIP code isn't the only alphanumeric that's changing.

The brand is undergoing a wholesale shift in auto re-badging. Again.

In a luxury auto market notorious for alphabet-soup badges, Cadillac will thicken the stew even further. In addition to changing its XT-badged SUVs and CT-badged sedans and introducing a "Y-brand" trim strategy, vehicles beginning with the XT6 SUV will get a new engine designation in order to signal the brand's transition to full-electric over the next decade.

Look out Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S, here comes the Cadillac XT6 AWD 400.

Beginning with the XT6 SUV, the new alphanumeric on the rear of the car will designate torque and engine type, such as 400 for the XT6. That's 400 newton-meters of torque — not pound-feet for us Americans — because most of the markets Cadillac sells in are metric. (Torque, for the uninitiated, measures the low-end grunt of an engine. Horsepower is a measurement of power that peaks at higher engine rpms.)

Cadillac is determined to convert us to the metric system. And to electric cars.
    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    Last edited by nadepalma; 03-14-2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Reformatted; moved to newsticker

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (03-14-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,112 Times in 3,872 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Cadillac is Changing is Badging System Again

"What we’re seeking to accomplish with this strategy is starting a conversation about the transition in drivetrain technology. When you think about electric propulsion – when you think about a convention for engine naming — you’re not talking about displacements anymore."

The new torque convention replaces designations like the "2.0T" that currently appears on a CTS sedan which emphasized an engine's displacement in liters (that's 2 liters, more metrics) and turbocharging. The new torque-badging will keep the “T,” by the way — for turbo, not torque. Got it?

The engine designation comes as Cadillac is in the midst of wholesale change of its model alphanumeric for the second time since just the turn of century.

As Cadillac repositioned itself as a high-tech, high-performance Nurgurgring

Cadillac's fickle badge allegiance is not unusual in the Motor City. It seems to be in the water. After changing its proper-name badging to alphanumerics last decade, Lincoln is changing back traditional names like Nautilus and Aviator.

The ever-changing name-game drives auto analysts crazy, who complain it muddies consumer loyalty compared to the consistency of, say, BMW's 3-series (since 1975) or its X3 ute (since 2003).

"Starting a conversation..." oh for God's sake, did this whole conversation come out of the "Newspeak Cliche Dictionary For Addled Bureaucrats" because lifer bureaucrats are required by law to speak in completely worn-out cliches?

ZERO ZERO ZERO is another idiot slogan dreamed up in some adman's booze- or reefer-inspired brain, no doubt.

"Not unusual" in Dee-Troit? OK, Lincoln. That's one.
    How about ChryCo? Do they keep renaming their cars? Let's see, 300...Charger...Challenger. Yeah, all new this year! Yes we can!

And what's Nurgurgring? Is that what you do after you ate too many fried onions?
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-14-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (03-14-2019),377Z (03-14-2019),ClassyEldo (03-16-2019),gkr778 (03-14-2019),Mentat Bashar (03-15-2019),Mr.Buttons (03-14-2019),nadepalma (03-14-2019),XP300 (03-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 993 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    And what's Nurgurgring? Is that what you do after you ate too many fried onions?
    It's where you go after you pass through the Recombobulation Area.

God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

canadian.bacon (03-18-2019),Mentat Bashar (03-15-2019),Neanderthal (03-14-2019),rockyspaw (03-14-2019),StarCruiser (03-17-2019),XP300 (03-15-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

"What we’re seeking to accomplish with this strategy is starting a conversation about the transition in drivetrain technology. When you think about electric propulsion – when you think about a convention for engine naming — you’re not talking about displacements anymore."

The new torque convention replaces designations like the "2.0T" that currently appears on a CTS sedan which emphasized an engine's displacement in liters (that's 2 liters, more metrics) and turbocharging. The new torque-badging will keep the “T,” by the way — for turbo, not torque. Got it?

The engine designation comes as Cadillac is in the midst of wholesale change of its model alphanumeric for the second time since just the turn of century.

As Cadillac repositioned itself as a high-tech, high-performance Nurgurgring

Cadillac's fickle badge allegiance is not unusual in the Motor City. It seems to be in the water. After changing its proper-name badging to alphanumerics last decade, Lincoln is changing back traditional names like Nautilus and Aviator.

The ever-changing name-game drives auto analysts crazy, who complain it muddies consumer loyalty compared to the consistency of, say, BMW's 3-series (since 1975) or its X3 ute (since 2003).

"Starting a conversation..." oh for God's sake, did this whole conversation come out of the "Newspeak Cliche Dictionary For Addled Bureaucrats" because lifer bureaucrats are required by law to speak in completely worn-out cliches?

ZERO ZERO ZERO is another idiot slogan dreamed up in some adman's booze- or reefer-inspired brain, no doubt.

How about ChryCo? Do they keep renaming their cars? Let's see, 300...Charger...Challenger. Yeah, all new this year! Yes we can!

Starting a conversation goes hand-in-hand with, “reaching out to”.....

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

377Z (03-14-2019),ClassyEldo (03-16-2019),gkr778 (03-14-2019),ksr (03-14-2019),Neanderthal (03-14-2019),richmond2000 (03-14-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

Probably after breathing enough carbon monoxide from an ICE vehicle... A lot of hot air in them.

Looks like we know what your buying next...tremendous!!! Chryco hasn't renamed their cars because 50% of their lineup today hasn't changed in decades. ChryKi!!

No, it's what do when you change the channel to Fox News/MSNBC/CNN/Apprentice reruns...
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    Starting a conversation goes hand-in-hand with, “reaching out to”.....
    Oh god I hate that "reach out" stuff! In my office, people never go to talk with someone. They "reach out" to them. Every time someone tells me to "reach out," I hear the Four Tops in my head:

We also don't "work with" people on problems. Problems are "facilitated."
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

rockyspaw (03-14-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 900 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

[I]"What we’re seeking to accomplish with this strategy is starting a conversation about the transition in drivetrain technology. When you think about electric propulsion – when you think about a convention for engine naming — you’re not talking about displacements anymore."

Unbelievably stupid.

Audi has had something similar in the works:

Audi Changes the Way It Names Its Cars - Audi will change the name of its cars to put emphasis on power output rather than engine size.

The response to Audi's idea has been overwhelmingly negative. So why would Caddy follow suit?

What's more, why even have such designations at all? Yes, electrification is coming. Yes, today you can have a smaller engine with more power than a larger displacement engine.

But why does that need to be reflected in the name of the vehicle at all? Why not just have the "Cadillac CT4, powered by XYZ" than the need to change an actual name?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitnews.com
    Your head hurt yet? There's more.

Cadillac is also changing its trim convention to the alphanumeric "Y strategy" to simplify its buffet of Luxury, Premium, Premium Luxury, Premium Performance and Platinum.

From here on, the XT6 will only be available as a Sport or Premium model. Want some good ol' Caddy bling? You can add a Platinum package to either.

Mercifully, the AWD badge (all-wheel drive) will remain unchanged. When the XT6 arrives at dealers in June, here's a handy tailgate translator: The XT6 badge will be to the northwest. AWD (if optioned) will be below that in the southwest corner. The 400 (newton-meters) will be at the northeast corner.
    I don't really mind the "Y strategy" if it makes things easier. But what is the point of making things easier (and less complex) for consumers, if only to muck the waters once-again and add torque designations?

Again, was anyone asking for this? I understand offering packages and making sense of trim-levels -- but are such rubrics even necessary?
    Last edited by nadepalma; 03-14-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,778 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Badging is often just for personal vanity of the owner - the free option of "no badges" is taken often enough, if available, to show that it really doesn't matter to many owners - and the others are just trying to show that "mine's bigger than yours"

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Unbelievably stupid.

Audi Changes the Way It Names Its Cars - Audi will change the name of its cars to put emphasis on power output rather than engine size.

The response to Audi's idea has been overwhelmingly negative. So why would Caddy follow suit?

What's more, why even have such designations at all? Yes, electrification is coming. Yes, today you can have a smaller engine with more power than a larger displacement engine.

But why does that need to be reflected in the name of the vehicle at all? Why not just have the "Cadillac CT4, powered by XYZ" than the need to change an actual name?
    Thank you for starting a new conversation about this! I wonder if Mrs. Bear watched too many Star Trek reruns, and just told her troops to...

2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (03-16-2019),nadepalma (03-14-2019),StarCruiser (03-17-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,050 Times in 1,889 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Unbelievably stupid.

I don't really mind the "Y strategy" if it makes things easier. But what is the point of making things easier (and less complex) for consumers, if only to muck the waters once-again and add torque designations?

Again, was anyone asking for this? I understand offering packages and making sense of trim-levels -- but are such rubrics even necessary?
    I disagree. The torque rating comes in when you start adding new power trains into the mix. EV's, hybrids, and Diesels are going to throw a lot of confusion. This will help simplify.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Z51 Corvette

They should fire the fool who thought of this and fire the fool who approved it! More wasted money, yet the new trucks have a Walmart interior and are de-contented from previous generation. Regarding putting metric torque ratings on Cadillac, who the hell cares or even knows about Newton torque ratings?
    Last edited by Pisswilly; 03-14-2019 at 01:20 PM.

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pisswilly For This Useful Post:

briandors (03-16-2019),buildacariwant (03-15-2019),ClassyEldo (03-16-2019),DequindreToo (03-14-2019),Engelman (03-15-2019),Extreme4x4 (03-14-2019),nadepalma (03-14-2019),Neanderthal (03-14-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (03-15-2019),sdotjeezy (03-14-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Beyond stupid. Even more insane...the numeric torque designations on the deck lid are only an approximation of torque....not actual.
    Do not recall a conversation about cars where the question pops up about how many NM of torque do you have? Most Cadillac shoppers still haven't caught up with what the CT and XT designations represent. Begs the question: Are there any adults working in Cadillac marketing???????? The originator of this idea must be closely related to the guy(gal) who had the incredible idea that a commercial for tax prep would resonate with "free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free free....." Only a politician can relate to that.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to criticalmass For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (03-16-2019),Extreme4x4 (03-14-2019),Neanderthal (03-14-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 900 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    Unbelievably stupid.

I disagree. The torque rating comes in when you start adding new power trains into the mix. EV's, hybrids, and Diesels are going to throw a lot of confusion. This will help simplify.
    Perhaps. And yet, for all their posturing of "chasing after the Europeans", many German automakers actually offer a "badge delete" package to consumers -- so no one can tell that your 3-Series BMW is either a 325i or a 340i, etc.

I don't think anyone has a problem with pointing out powertrain designations on a vehicle. That's fair, especially if a single product might have a number of powertrain options (as opposed to a unique, stand alone model that is only a hybrid or electric-powered).

Yet in my humble opinion, it is the manner in which such a designation is made that bothers me. Caddy salespeople have enough problems as it is getting people to buy Caddys, that now we're going to have them explain what Newton-Meters are (and how they compare to lb-ft torque numbers)?

If they want to make a designation, why not just use "H" or "E" or something along those lines (as just about every major automaker does)? Or for that matter, why not just say "EV" or "Hybrid" to avoid even more confusion?

What kills me about this Newton-Meter number nonsense is that, on some level, they are retaining "T" for Turbo -- which kind of throws itself in the face of why they are doing this to begin with.

So again, why bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by criticalmass View Post
    Most Cadillac shoppers still haven't caught up with what the CT and XT designations represent. Begs the question: Are there any adults working in Cadillac marketing????????
    Lord only knows. But no doubt this person is now in line to be CMO or CFO or President of General Motors in the near future.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 03-14-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (03-16-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Newton-Meter. Newton-Fig. Meter-Fig. Figmeter!

Soon Nabisco will enter the mixing bowl, suing Cardiac for diminishing the marketing powah of Fig Newtons.

I schtruggle to find a more inane idea than using a unit of measure that virtually no one in the USA knows anything about, gives a damn about, will find the least bit useful, or will be impressed with.

I'm all with pisswilly for mass firings. But I've advocated that for a while now, fire the top five layers of bureaucracy. Start at the very top!

Give them their walking papers like Mary did to the loyal peasants at Lordstown. But at least those factory rat guys weren't escorted out of the building by cops, didn't have their rides confiscated, and weren't otherwise humiliated beyond any sense of decency.

MARY! There IS a universal law of karma, and as the great Ronald Wilson Reagan said, you can run but you can't hide.

From Cadillac: The Standard Of The World! to Cadillac: The Simpletons Of The World! Yes we can!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Ambalanche (03-14-2019),ClassyEldo (03-16-2019),joey (03-15-2019),XP300 (03-15-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 675 Posts

This doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the model names (ATS, CT6, XT5, etc). It just sounds like a preparation for EVs, where an engine's displacement means nothing (2.0 Liter? .... turbo? Forget about it) And the horsepower means less than the torque since an EV has a constant, flat torque curve. How do you identify which motor you've optioned for? Torque.

And torque still applies to the current ICE motors just fine. But there really is no need to learn what Newton Meters technically means, just learn the number that you're gunning for. It's not like there's any real correlation to harnessing 400 horses to your vehicle. (What a mess THAT would be)

I'll take a minimum of 400 Newton Meters, please. (400 Newts instead of 400 horses?)

And it's not really a push for metric, engines have been listed in "liters" since the '70s.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainDan For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (03-15-2019)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information