Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

  1. #1
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC GMSilverado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 593 Times in 200 Posts

    Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time
    November 25, 2016
    Cadillac


    Cadillac announced today that its annual sales in China surpassed 100,000 vehicles for the first time ever, helping it become among the fastest-growing luxury car brands in Cadillac’s second-largest market.

    Year-to-date, Cadillac has delivered over 100,000 retail sales across China, which is up 54 percent from the same period last year.

    “Reaching this milestone reminds us that Cadillac is setting a new standard for aspirational and premium appeal in China,” said Andreas Schaaf, vice president of Cadillac China. “Our new products, our dealers and Cadillac’s global transformation are catalysts for the unprecedented growth we are experiencing.”

    Cadillac has been recognized by luxury car buyers nationwide for its distinctive image as the New American Luxury. It has continued to expand its product portfolio and dealer network while continuously improving customer service.

    This year, it has introduced two new mainstream luxury models – the CT6 prestige sedan and XT5 luxury crossover – which are being manufactured at Cadillac’s new state-of-the-art facility in Shanghai. They complement Cadillac’s other models, which include the XTS luxury sedan and ATS-L sport sedan.

    The brand now has a presence in all key luxury segments, including mid- and large-sized luxury sedans, medium-range luxury sedans and midsize luxury SUVs. It is also exploring alternative propulsion with the upcoming introduction of the Cadillac CT6 plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV).


    Cadillac's strategy to restructure and fill the gaps in its portfolio | 2018-2021: Hidden Content

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMSilverado For This Useful Post:

    dslay04 (11-25-2016),johnstarnes (11-25-2016),megeebee (11-26-2016)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  4. #2
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC GMSilverado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 593 Times in 200 Posts

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Goal achieved! That was the estimated sales target for 2016 in China.

    This is quite significant, considering that it is a brand with a range composed basically for just 4 products. It is very likely that the new Crossovers and the locally made small sedan, which are on the way, will cause the Chinese market to outperform the American and become the largest for Cadillac before the end of the decade.

    This year's total sales will be around 300,000 units, as some have already commented here, quite well on track for the 500,000 that the brand set as a target for 2020.
    Last edited by GMSilverado; 11-25-2016 at 10:52 AM.

    Cadillac's strategy to restructure and fill the gaps in its portfolio | 2018-2021: Hidden Content

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to GMSilverado For This Useful Post:

    johnstarnes (11-25-2016)

  6. #3
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    8,486
    Thanks
    3,822
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Good work. Just keep the product coming. There's alot more to do

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

    johnstarnes (11-25-2016)

  8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  9. #4
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    30,650
    Thanks
    5,354
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Problem is that for GM Corp, they have to split the earnings with someone else. The incoming administration should fix this ASAP!

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

    georgewerr (11-26-2016),steve333 (11-25-2016)

  11. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    15,076
    Thanks
    6,806
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Amazing % increase and makes it very easy to see how Cadillac will hit 500,000 units once they have more CUV's.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    johnstarnes (11-25-2016)

  13. #6
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid sfbreh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    19,260
    Thanks
    7,625
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Amazing % increase and makes it very easy to see how Cadillac will hit 500,000 units once they have more CUV's.
    Considering it sounds like the big SUV is delayed if it's coming via Omega and they've delayed/suspended investment in CT2, I'm less certain than I was that they'll reach that goal.

    It'll be interesting to see how the plug-in CT6 impacts sales in China.

  14. #7
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    13,337
    Thanks
    5,697
    Thanked 848 Times in 469 Posts

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Great news! I will be curious how the models influenced by the Escala concept will sell.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown


    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  15. #8
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC GMSilverado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 593 Times in 200 Posts

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Considering it sounds like the big SUV is delayed if it's coming via Omega and they've delayed/suspended investment in CT2, I'm less certain than I was that they'll reach that goal.

    It'll be interesting to see how the plug-in CT6 impacts sales in China.
    None is true... Both conjectures arise from a confusion. The keys to understanding the future product plan are: 1) subtract relevance to the names that each model could finally have, and 2) analyze the causes that currently limit the portfolio in China to only 4 products.

    The big SUV is not delayed by "being moved" to Omega, they are actually two different products. There will be two new products between the XT5 and the Escalade (link): one based on the C1XX and another on O2XX.

    Forget about the alleged CT2 "based on the Cruze", such a thing never existed. The "small sedan" is actually the replacement for the ATS SWB, reoriented to segment C with smaller engines and that will begin to manufacture in China; to position it below the ATS-L.

    Here an update from a previous post.

    11 New vehicles in 5 years | 2015/16 - 2020/21



    Each of the next 9 models to complete, together with the CT6 and XT5, the amount of 11 new products until 2020/21:

    1. 2019 Compact CUV (E2UL): New
    2. 2019 Small Sedan (A2SL)= Replacement of the ATS SWB | [V-Series]
    3. 2019 Medium CUV 3 rows of seats (C172X): New
    4. 2020 Compact Sedan (A2LL)= Substitute for ATS-L and CTS
    5. 2020 Small CUV (9BUL | VSS-F): New
    6. 2020 Medium Coupe (A2BL/A2AL)= Symbolic replacements for the ATS and CTS Coupe (+) | [V-Series]
    7. 2021 Large SUV (T1UL | VSS-T)= Next Escalade
    8. 2021 Large Liftback (O2LL)= Flagship Car
    9. 2022 Large CUV (O2UL)= Flagship CUV

    Exclusive news in GMI:


    • The start of the Chinese manufacturing of the Compact CUV (E2UL) is scheduled for July 2018. It may start a couple of months earlier at Fairfax, so it could be presented within exactly one year in LA Auto Show 2017.



    • In China, the work of O2XX has already been started. Taking into account that the development of a new vehicle takes about 4 years, the large's Liftback and CUV will be ready from 2020.


    Cadillac's strategy to restructure and fill the gaps in its portfolio | 2018-2021: Hidden Content

  16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GMSilverado For This Useful Post:

    BlackGTP (11-25-2016),CadillacSA (11-26-2016),ClassyEldo (11-29-2016),dslay04 (11-25-2016),megeebee (11-26-2016),sfbreh (11-25-2016),SierraGS (11-26-2016),t-rexx (11-25-2016)

  17. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    St. George, Ut.
    Posts
    10,133
    Thanks
    13,096
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Good for Cadillac. I'm interested too in seeing how the new products use the Escala design features in them.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

    johnstarnes (11-25-2016)

  19. #10
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid sfbreh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    19,260
    Thanks
    7,625
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by GMSilverado View Post
    Here an update from a previous post.

    11 New vehicles in 5 years | 2015/16 - 2020/21

    I have to disagree on the non-existence of the Cruze-based Cadillac. There's plenty of evidence of it, and there's plenty of evidence it wasn't fully embraced.

    I think the original plan was basically three "Alpha" sedans: one redo of the ATS more in line with the original "Alpha" program (4 cylinder-only) about the size of the current ATS moved down a bit to the ≤$30k range, one ATS-L-sized replacement of the current ATS, and one slightly larger or better-packaged CTS replacement beneath an Omega-based XTS replacement/CTS-L in CT6 and another, larger Omega to supersize the S-Class for superior packaging claims without the additional $30k+ for a Maybach logo.

    I think they did the math and realized their plans would go more smoothly financially if they cut a few corners, i.e. did a C1YL and a D2JL to help offset some of the costs associated with producing more niche high-end cars to help headline and elevate the lineup. Seems they thought better of their plans, or maybe instead realized they had more cash than they thought.

    Quote Originally Posted by GMSilverado View Post
    1. 2019 Compact CUV (E2UL): New
    2. 2019 Small Sedan (A2SL)= Replacement of the ATS SWB | [V-Series]
    3. 2019 Medium CUV 3 rows of seats (C172X): New
    4. 2020 Compact Sedan (A2LL)= Substitute for ATS-L and CTS
    5. 2020 Small CUV (9BUL | VSS-F): New
    6. 2020 Medium Coupe (A2BL/A2AL)= Symbolic replacements for the ATS and CTS Coupe (+) | [V-Series]
    7. 2021 Large SUV (T1UL | VSS-T)= Next Escalade
    8. 2021 Large Liftback (O2LL)= Flagship Car
    9. 2022 Large CUV (O2UL)= Flagship CUV
    I'm nervous for a new big sedan/liftback. I don't have a lot of faith in its future at a cash-strapped Cadillac. Hopefully the crossovers are successful and the program gets a green light to continue.

    Quote Originally Posted by GMSilverado View Post
    • The start of the Chinese manufacturing of the Compact CUV (E2UL) is scheduled for July 2018. It may start a couple of months earlier at Fairfax, so it could be presented within exactly one year in LA Auto Show 2017.

    I think it'll be sooner than LA. It's a big product, so I'm betting they debut it early in the year in their new hometown of New York. Remember CT6 debuted there about a year ahead of its own introduction in the market (~April-March/April in China).

    Quote Originally Posted by GMSilverado View Post
    In China, the work of O2XX has already been started. Taking into account that the development of a new vehicle takes about 4 years, the large's Liftback and CUV will be ready from 2020.

    Very interesting find. Of note I think could be the "grouping" of each platform; others, along with myself, have speculated that several products/platforms may be closer to "technicalities" than honest-to-goodness disparate platforms.

    For example, look at E2UL and the D2XX/E2XX grouping; I think it's far more likely that E2UL is an easier "explanation" of a product wrought by a close relationship between two platforms than it is a true indicator of a one-off E2Ux vehicle.

    Another would be the A2XX/O2XX relationship; you'd have hoped A2XX and O2XX were rolled into each other somehow. I think A1XX has been, over the course of its development through from ATS to Camaro, developed in tandem with O1XX into its next generation, to a point where I believe the two platforms will move beyond mere technological and strategic inspiration to more DIRECT inspiration in the form of really sister platforms. I don't believe for a second Cadillac or GM has the lack of financial aptitude or finances so robust as to fund TWO entirely unrelated, underachieving platforms.

    We've already heard that the proportions are locked in for the next generation cars when Escala debuted, Omega developments being applied to Alpha, and we can all add and subtract. Could be nothing, but it could be telling as it coincidentally lends credence to creeping suspicions some of us here have regarding the development of some platforms.

  20. #11
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    8,486
    Thanks
    3,822
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    I still don't see them abandoning the E class/5 series market. CT6 does not realistically compete with them in any fashion other than price

  21. #12
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC GMSilverado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 593 Times in 200 Posts

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    I have to disagree on the non-existence of the Cruze-based Cadillac. There's plenty of evidence of it, and there's plenty of evidence it wasn't fully embraced.
    I see you are very attached to that idea. Believe me, there was never a plan for a Cadillac Sedan "based on the Cruze".

    However, with this I do not rule out at all that something with the "D2JL" code has been raised at some point and then was discarded (like "C1YL", which was canceled before the arrival of JDN). It is very likely that it was something based on the new Volt (D2JCi). I remember Bob Ferguson once hinted at an "important" renewal of the ELR and a "anti-Tesla bet". And look what Johan de Nysschen said in one of his first interviews. Reuters | October 9, 2014:
    He also confirmed that Cadillac will offer a plug-in hybrid version of the new CT6 sedan, and said a pure battery-electric car is part of the plan to expand Cadillac's model range. De Nysschen also said a successor to the slow-selling ELR plug-in hybrid is being developed, but it may not be a two-door coupe like the present model.
    Then, the team prepared the product plan they exposed to investors in November 2014 and no one else ever talked about a successor to the ELR.

    Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    I think the original plan was basically three "Alpha" sedans: one redo of the ATS more in line with the original "Alpha" program (4 cylinder-only) about the size of the current ATS moved down a bit to the ≤$30k range, one ATS-L-sized replacement of the current ATS, and one slightly larger or better-packaged CTS replacement beneath an Omega-based XTS replacement/CTS-L in CT6 and another, larger Omega to supersize the S-Class for superior packaging claims without the additional $30k+ for a Maybach logo.
    A2XX is underway since 2014. Unlike today, Cadillac does not develop any L version on it for any of the upcoming models. To use resources more efficiently each will have a correct size, unique to all markets.

    The new plan only includes two "Alpha" Sedans: "Small" and Compact.

    A2SL should appear sometime in 2018 as a model 2019, just when the ATS turns 6 model/years (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018). North American customers already compare it with the German segment C offers, the new model will meet their expectations, with the right motorization and focus. It will also begin to be manufactured in China, the market that most demand small luxury sedans.

    A2LL would come in 2019 as a 2020 model, and by that date the CTS and ATS-L would also complete 6 model/years of life (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019).

    Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    I'm nervous for a new big sedan/liftback. I don't have a lot of faith in its future at a cash-strapped Cadillac. Hopefully the crossovers are successful and the program gets a green light to continue.
    It has already been approved and included in the investment being implemented. Its technical development is in brand, the last thing that defined was its body style: it will not be a traditional sedan of 4 doors.

    Definitely, there will be a car above the CT6.

    Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    I think it'll be sooner than LA. It's a big product, so I'm betting they debut it early in the year in their new hometown of New York. Remember CT6 debuted there about a year ahead of its own introduction in the market (~April-March/April in China).
    I see LA Auto Show more realistic because we have not seen the first spy photos yet... In Detroit or New York 2017 maybe they could present it in "Conceptual format", as usual JDN in Infiniti.

    Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Very interesting find. Of note I think could be the "grouping" of each platform; others, along with myself, have speculated that several products/platforms may be closer to "technicalities" than honest-to-goodness disparate platforms.

    For example, look at E2UL and the D2XX/E2XX grouping; I think it's far more likely that E2UL is an easier "explanation" of a product wrought by a close relationship between two platforms than it is a true indicator of a one-off E2Ux vehicle.

    Another would be the A2XX/O2XX relationship; you'd have hoped A2XX and O2XX were rolled into each other somehow. I think A1XX has been, over the course of its development through from ATS to Camaro, developed in tandem with O1XX into its next generation, to a point where I believe the two platforms will move beyond mere technological and strategic inspiration to more DIRECT inspiration in the form of really sister platforms. I don't believe for a second Cadillac or GM has the lack of financial aptitude or finances so robust as to fund TWO entirely unrelated, underachieving platforms.

    We've already heard that the proportions are locked in for the next generation cars when Escala debuted, Omega developments being applied to Alpha, and we can all add and subtract. Could be nothing, but it could be telling as it coincidentally lends credence to creeping suspicions some of us here have regarding the development of some platforms.
    It is true. Let's not forget that GM walks toward platform convergence with the VSS strategy, including a specific rear-wheel-drive (VSS-R) that will be ready by 2025.

    I think the first experiment was 31XXn from the current Colorado/Canyon, which combined the GMT-700 of the global model with K2XX.

    Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    I still don't see them abandoning the E class/5 series market. CT6 does not realistically compete with them in any fashion other than price
    That is true today, but it could change from 2020.

    The current CTS and XTS will live until sometime in 2019. At that time the CT6 will have 4 years in the market and with luck we would have a better idea of the "comprehensive enhancement" that will suffer; in the words de Nysschen himself.

    Definitely, there are many details that remain to be clarified. But one of the most certain and palpable things is that those who currently run the Cadillac destination and designed the plan consider the CT6 a model of the "Medium" segment; they announced it from the very moment they revealed the name.

    Cadillac's strategy to restructure and fill the gaps in its portfolio | 2018-2021: Hidden Content

  22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GMSilverado For This Useful Post:

    CadillacSA (11-26-2016),dslay04 (11-26-2016),megeebee (11-26-2016),sfbreh (11-28-2016),SierraGS (11-26-2016),t-rexx (11-26-2016)

  23. #13
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,793
    Thanks
    6,505
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by GMSilverado View Post
    Goal achieved! That was the estimated sales target for 2016 in China.

    This is quite significant, considering that it is a brand with a range composed basically for just 4 products. It is very likely that the new Crossovers and the locally made small sedan, which are on the way, will cause the Chinese market to outperform the American and become the largest for Cadillac before the end of the decade.

    This year's total sales will be around 300,000 units, as some have already commented here, quite well on track for the 500,000 that the brand set as a target for 2020.
    How well does the ATS-L sell in China?

    Was there ever a reason given as to why it was never offered in the U.S.?

    I do not think it would have taken sales from the CTS (if that was the concern) as it is targeted at a different segment and the longer WB should not have affected the price that much.

  24. #14
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    367
    Thanks
    853
    Thanked 556 Times in 202 Posts
    My Ride
    15 ATS Performance AWD

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    How well does the ATS-L sell in China?

    Was there ever a reason given as to why it was never offered in the U.S.?

    I do not think it would have taken sales from the CTS (if that was the concern) as it is targeted at a different segment and the longer WB should not have affected the price that much.
    About 3000 pm. I've often asked why it's not offered in the US. Maybe the cost of safety testing/ certification, or maybe because GM outsourced the engineering they don't trust it for the litigious US market?

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CadillacSA For This Useful Post:

    sfbreh (11-28-2016),SierraGS (11-26-2016)

  26. #15
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,793
    Thanks
    6,505
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

    Re: Cadillac Annual Sales Top 100,000 Vehicles in China for the First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSA View Post
    About 3000 pm. I've often asked why it's not offered in the US. Maybe the cost of safety testing/ certification, or maybe because GM outsourced the engineering they don't trust it for the litigious US market?
    3,000 per month (if I understand), those are some good numbers (36,000 annually), and to the post, that is 36% of sales.

    That are good numbers and can see that many of those ATS-L buyers can (or already have) "moved up" to larger Cadillac offerings.

    That is what Cadillac needs to do here, build a base of buyers to build on.

  27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2