GM Inside News Forum banner

Autoweek 2015 Cadillac Escalade First Drive

11K views 50 replies 30 participants last post by  zinner 
#1 ·
TFL Car: 2015 Cadillac Escalade 0-60 MPH First Drive Review

I got the same impressions just sitting in it. This things is quite stately.

#2 ·
Re: TFL Car: 2015 Cadillac Escalade 0-60 MPH First Drive Review

This guy never get the same 0-60 times as the mags.

Either way, if this had of been White Diamond or Black, I would have jumped thru the screen and bought it.:D

#9 ·

It's kinda weird how quickly this guy and his site has taken off.
I don't get it either. The goofy little 0-60 mph accelerometer device is totally inconsistent from car to car and their reviews are simultaneously uninteresting and uninformative. When I get the impression I know more about cars than the guy reviewing them, I'm done listening.

#5 ·

In mentioned this before during some other discussion but I really dislike the new instrument cluster display screens that vehicles are adopting. They just don't provide any visual depth which looks poor to me. I haven't yet seen a display cluster that I like looking at. Maybe with the right graphics interface I could enjoy the displays but from what I have seen so far I would prefer conventional gauges with a smaller screen for other data.

#8 ·

In mentioned this before during some other discussion but I really dislike the new instrument cluster display screens that vehicles are adopting. They just don't provide any visual depth which looks poor to me. I haven't yet seen a display cluster that I like looking at. Maybe with the right graphics interface I could enjoy the displays but from what I have seen so far I would prefer conventional gauges with a smaller screen for other data.
For that kind of money I was hoping that the graphics were bumped up a notch or two but it still isn't going to stop me from owning one!! Oh, yes, it shall be mine!

Bye the way, has anyone seen Kona Brown in person? I've seen pictures here and elsewhere that range from a nice brown all the way to a reddish-orange color. I like the brown tone I've seen but not the crazy red-orange.

#13 ·

I like TFL. They are not the most knowledgeable, but they do give you an honest review from a "consumer" point of view. And they can be quite entertaining, specially when they get stuck in the off road course.

#48 ·

I like TFL. They are not the most knowledgeable, but they do give you an honest review from a "consumer" point of view. And they can be quite entertaining, specially when they get stuck in the off road course.
I enjoy their videos, the tow videos over the ike's peak are fun to watch. They have an interesting twist on truck reviews by actually testing them by towing with em.

#16 ·

Cadillac needs to make a version of the Escalade that competes with RR and Bentley. The SUV is an American vehicle through and through, why not go full mac-daddy and give us a $200,000 version. Give the world what we do best - trucks.
Then it should be something awesome and unexpected like this: :eek:

#15 · (Edited)
By: Jake Lingeman on 4/04/2014

What is it?

Were you expecting Cadillac to tone down its next Escalade full-size SUV? Maybe the company would smooth out the styling, or throw a strong V6 in it, so as not to upset the unwashed masses OR the crunchy greenies? Not gonna happen. The 2015 Escalade, in dealerships later this month, gets a stout 6.2-liter V8 and more bling than a Jay-Z concert with Lil Wayne opening.

Yes, we predict the new Escalade will do well with the show-off set.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140404/carreviews/140409947#ixzz2xyKEwms2

Do I want it?

Cadillac is making a real run at full-size luxury crown with the Escalade. It named the Mercedes GL and the Infiniti QX80 as its targets, but the level of equipment, fit and finish put it in Range Rover territory too. We have yet to test the new Lincoln Navigator, but it will likely also go head-to-head with the Escalade.

Luxury doesn't come cheap, of course: The standard 2015 Escalade starts at $72,690 while the premium model costs $81,190. Compare those numbers to the Mercedes GL450 which starts at $64,550, and the GL550 comes in at $89,000. Finally, the Range Rover starts at $84,225; the long wheelbase Rangie cracks the century mark at $106,225. Viewed in light of those competitors, the Escalade offers quite a bit of SUV for the dollar.

In other words, yes, you do want this, as long as you're looking for a full-size luxury SUV. It's every bit as good as good as the alternatives -- if not better -- and a lot more imposing to boot.

This is more like it; the 'lade prior to this was little more than a gussied up Tahoe/Yukon with basically the same interior with too many cheap bits and the obnoxious, overly bling-y grill.

I expect to start seeing more 'lades to go along w/ all the Range Rovers, GLs and Cayennes.

#18 ·
Biggest advantage the GL has over the Escalade: Fit and finish, probably quality, availability of the G63.
Cons: Ugly styling, boring looks. Just looks like a big SUV.

Biggest advantage the Cayenne has over the Escalade: Cayenne Turbo.
Cons: It's a Porsche SUV. Wut?

Biggest advantage the Range Rover has over the Escalade: Autobiography.
Cons: Boring looks.

Biggest advantage the Escalade has over all: Peerless levels of badass, closest competitors in badassery would be the G-Wagen, an MRAP, and an Abrams tank.
Cons: Too much commonality between it and the Tahoe/Yukon. Doesn't reach as upscale as the others. Price doesn't count.

Screw you, world. Give the Escalade a classier rear seat area and pop the LT4 in that badboy and there isn't a thing like it on the market short of the G 6x6 or G65 that could come close.

#19 ·
Biggest advantage the GL has over the Escalade: Fit and finish, probably quality, availability of the G63.
Cons: Ugly styling, boring looks. Just looks like a big SUV.

Yet some are comparing the fit and finish of the Yukon (not even Denali) to the GL. Not buying it. I think from what I've seen ofn the Escalade it trumps the GL, and possibly the .. Wait for it...

Biggest advantage the Range Rover has over the Escalade: Autobiography.
Cons: Boring looks.
I will never call a Range boring. Even I think it is a very attractive SUV, just not pretty like the Denali and certainly not like the 'Slade.

Biggest advantage the Cayenne has over the Escalade: Cayenne Turbo.
Cons: It's a Porsche SUV. Wut?

Totally agree. But, the Cayenne and Escalade are way different. In truth, this is where a CTS based CUV would come on board. A Second Generation "Sigma SRX" using Alpha

Biggest advantage the Escalade has over all: Peerless levels of badass, closest competitors in badassery would be the G-Wagen, an MRAP, and an Abrams tank.
Cons: Too much commonality between it and the Tahoe/Yukon. Doesn't reach as upscale as the others. Price doesn't count.

Screw you, world. Give the Escalade a classier rear seat area and pop the LT4 in that badboy and there isn't a thing like it on the market short of the G 6x6 or G65 that could come close.
Agree on most points, but GM really should just reprise Hummer. It was closer to the G-Wagon than any Escalade

#20 ·
There is no way the new 2015 Navigator can touch the interior quality of this Escalade. They better hope that the new engine and suspension with much lower price win some sales. But $25,000 +- difference at the top end is a lot of cabbage....Can't wait to see some comparison reviews between the two.

#23 ·
Th ere is no way the new 2015 Navigator can touch the interior quality of this Escalade. They better hope that the new engine and suspension with much lower price win some sales. But $25,000 +- difference at the top end is a lot of cabbage....Can't wait to see some comparison reviews between the two.
Really different classes, as Lincoln is more in the premium category vs luxury at this point, and the difference in price will reflect that. I don't think the refreshed Navi will steal any sales from Caddy. The all aluminum Navi in 16' or 17' could be interesting, although we haven't seen anything that says Lincoln can do anything at the luxury level of the Escalade yet.

Reactions: sfbreh
#21 ·
In the video and in pictures its tough to tell if this thing will look great or not in person. I HATE THE NEW TAIL LIGHTS< Frickin PUKE worthy. In pictures LOL---- I thought in pictures I loved the GMC Yukon and hated the Tahoe. NOPE!! THe TAHOE is superior in looks and I love the headlights on it, Wooooo. The Interior is thee best out of all luxury SUV's I have sat in and this thing now has stately presence, it looks extremely upscale. The Tahoe so far is KINg to me and will maybe end up in our driveway in black on black. Just gotta see the Escalade in black now. Those Tail Lights rrrrrrr don't know people they are huge and in pictures and that video they are hideous.

When will we see them in dealers lots - showrooms -- Oh and this guys is truly awful in all his revues - the whole time he is out of breath and never showed really nothing about the SUV, the camera guy just blew by in the interior.

#22 · (Edited)
"A celebration of Success" - I like that.

I need to sit in one before I make any judgements, other than the obvious quibbles. I was disappointed the new Escy was up on a platform at the MSP Auto Show, looked good from 5-10 feet though, LOL. I think it will surprise some people how quick it is, however all of the vehicles in this class are now (for the most part).

#29 · (Edited)
I don't care for him much but what I chuckle at is when he floors a car he grins and he shows those small elderly looking teeth(yellow) and it makes me laugh. Anyway this time they got it more right to me because I love the styling, but where is the hybrid version? Cadillac is starting to chase the late 90's - 2000's with power but they are forgetting to go further into electric like everyone else. You can not win at someone else's game or just by following you have to create a path ahead and make them follow you.

Oh and please don't speak of Game of Thrones it is going to make me have heart problems.

#30 ·
I'll weigh in on the "pretty" think. I don't think the Escalade is pretty, but it has presence. Same with a Bentley and even more so the RR, they are not pretty, but you sure know someone has arrived when they pull up! That's why I think GM could get away with building a much more expensive full size truck based SUV and the American makes have credibility with trucks to pull it off. But they'd need to make the back seats much more "executive" and plush along with the rest of the vehicle.

#31 ·
The Escalade is definitely nice but I think they need some features that they could bring to Platinum like:

360 Night Vision Camera
Rear Seat Executive Package
Auto Shut Doors - Close the door most ways yourself but the door will autoshut itself
8 Speed Transmission with later adopted to all models
Massage Seats for Front and Rear With Various Settings
Heat/Cold Settings for Cup Holders
Stop/Go Fuel Shut Off at a Stop
LED Road Turning Lamps
Road Keep Assist
Rear Park Assist

I predict the Platinum will have vastly nicer interior than the Premium model.

However, makes me wonder if the LTS will have all the new advance technology first and will come to other models during the refresh of other models.

The Escalade is nice but for the asking price, it does not have the features like some of the upper end Cadillacs does like Rear Park Assist and Headlamp Turn Assist and other features that separate itself to make it more unique. So hopefully the Platinum will remedy all of this.

Either way, the Escalade is now a true luxury SUV now. I would definitely would buy one (Platinum or Premium) if I was in the market.

#35 ·
The TFL guy is a pinhead what Escalade driver is going to pull up at the lights and look for a race. Also he never gets good times in his 0-60 lol. Now as for the Escalade GM has done a nice job in smoothing out the Art & Science design, it's gone from being edgy in the past which was necessary to get noticed, to being elegant and polished or refined. I don't have any issues with it, I just want to see the markets reception to it.

#36 ·
You know he is right that Bentley-esk cross hatch is very upscale and to be honest it does elevate a vehicle. I love the Escalade and think it is on par but to be top notch he is right. Plain and simple he is right.

#38 ·
Do not like the grill. And the rear seating is a joke, nothing luxury about it save soft-touch leather. Good effort, but anyone who cross shops will pick the forien car. It's too bad, it looks like the accountants got to it. Dressed up GMC if you ask, anyone. They really had a chance to shine and jack the price up too while they are at it. This is a a Cadillac, it is okay to have a few, but extremely profitable sales. The tooling will be paid for by the lesser stablemates. They appeared to have left the welcome mat out for the Navigator just like they did with the Silverado for Ram.

#40 · (Edited)

1st: This guy is an idiot who doesn't understand CUE.....

2nd: This vehicle is 70% Chevrolet Suburban/ GMC Denali....The dash is Cadillac, the seats are Cadillac, the LED headlights are Cadillac and that's it. This vehicle is in no way a Cadillac flagship, I don't give a sh** if it costs $150,000...

3rd: My 2015 Escalade ESV Platinum ($97,000+ equipped the way I want it) will land, supposedly, sometime in late August according to my Cadillac dealer...

OH! Did I forget to mention that I drove a 2015 Chevrolet Suburban today!

#43 ·
How GM doesn't give Nick these first drives is beyond me but Im upset they don't. Who TF is this guy and why do I keep seeing him behind the wheel of a vehicle talking about them just because he has a license and a mouth? Anyhow, he must just have that much money. Must be nice but NEXT... Him or his goofy partner doesn't know half of what they are speaking about half the time...

#byeFelicia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.