ATS: Fixing Cadillac's problem child - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ATS: Fixing Cadillac's problem child

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,317 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Re: ATS: Fixing Cadillac's problem child

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I don't have an issue with GM not including, it's a way to get people into higher trim packages. You want it, you pay.
    Or you forgo Cadillac altogether and get a competing model. Based on the Automotive News article's comment about ATS' decreasing market share, that's what a lot of potential customers are doing.

One of the many reasons I purchased a F30 BMW 320i rather than Cadillac ATS is that BMW offers Lighting Package (adaptive HID headlamps for '13 - '15 models; LED headlamps for '16) as a $700 to $900 option, even on the most inexpensive model in the F30 lineup.

BMW originated the premium compact sports sedan segment 40 years ago and is still the standard bearer. Cadillac is an imitator.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

377Z (06-27-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Thinner seatbacks to make the rear seat seem larger should have been done a couple years ago. Now it's probably not worth the cost any longer. I'm square in the target market for the ATS but the rear seat space trumps everything else.

What made the 1st two gens of CTS popular was the 3 series pricing for a car that was 1/2 way between the 3 and the 5 in size.

Sell the ATS at A3 prices for now.

And for the next gen, stretch the interior slightly. An extra couple inches in rubber, glass, steel, etc, does not literally cost GM thousands of dollars. I am of course comparing two identical cars, clean slate, new designs, and close enough in size to use all the same powertrains, suspension points, etc. Cabin stretching is cheap and GM used to do it so well.
    Current rides:
    2018 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2014 Chevrolet Volt
    2011 Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero
    1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale

Past rides:
    2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT, 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS M6, 2013 Buick Encore, 2007 Buick Rendezvous CXL, 2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 2005 Pontiac GTO M6, 1999 Ford Contour SVT, 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible, 1989 Buick Regal, 1983 Buick Regal

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,897 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Quote Originally Posted by zeobandit View Post
    The ATS is way too small. I am 6'5" and I could not get behind the wheel of my wife's sister in law's ATS. My head was at a 45" angle and my knees where on either side of the steering wheel. That was with the seat all the way back and lowered. I don't see how anyone over 6'1" or 6'2" could comfortably fit in the driver's seat. And forget having anyone else sit behind you.
    you're 6'5", you shouldn't be driving an ATS to begin with.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 2,618 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

The ATS is way too small. I am 6'5" and I could not get behind the wheel of my wife's sister in law's ATS. My head was at a 45" angle and my knees where on either side of the steering wheel. That was with the seat all the way back and lowered. I don't see how anyone over 6'1" or 6'2" could comfortably fit in the driver's seat. And forget having anyone else sit behind you.
    I don't know. Im also 6'5 and fit it in rather fine but you have to remember that it is a compact sedan. It's meant to be small.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I remember reading that GM is trying to move away from MCE's in favor of faster product change overs.. You can use the same engineers tied up in MCE's validation to speed up your new product pipeline, instead of them working on band aids, they would be working on the latest and greatest.
    Where's Harley when you need him?
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by DansGS View Post
    Yes! I'm amazed at how many ATS's are around my area without the verticle LEDs. Just shows how people are very price conscience with the ATS and not buying the upper trims.
    The dealers around me (NY Metro) don't even stock the upper level trims. Local dealer has almost a dozen, 1 with the HID/LED's. No performance or premiums stocked.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Ford Fusion Titanium

I think the interior volume complaint is a deeper issue that goes back to how people perceive Cadillac vs. BMW. BMW built their reputation around the 3 Series, which in what's considered to be its best iterations, is a tight fitting interior. People expect BMWs to be cramped, but Cadillac? Cadillac is best remembered as being roomier and therefore comfortable. That said, I expect Cadillac's "right size" strategy to make each Cadillac have the most interior volume in their class, while retaining performance.

With the growing size of the compact performance luxury sedans, I think we're witnessing the redefinition of what compact luxury is: Compact luxury includes the luxury of interior room over mainstream or entry luxury compact. Pretty soon, with BMW introducing the 2 Series Gran Coupe, the purists' compact luxury mission exemplified in the E30 and E46 3 Series will be carried out by the subcompact, entry-level model.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 788 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I remember reading that GM is trying to move away from MCE's in favor of faster product change overs.. You can use the same engineers tied up in MCE's validation to speed up your new product pipeline, instead of them working on band aids, they would be working on the latest and greatest.
    They wouldn't have needed an MCE so badly if they got it right the first time.
    They didn't need to spend a dime on the boring MCE front end, they just should have gone with the V Series front end. Sporty looking as a Sport Sedan should look.
    They also should have done something with the interior-added buttons and knobs to it to eliminate the poor CUE reviews.
    The trunk looks like it belongs to a cheap subcompact. The hinges intrude into an already small space, all they need to do is replace it with struts.
    There is such a lack of focus it's amazing to me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to steve333 For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (06-27-2016)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

Definitely not the position an automaker, especially one whose glory days included a comfortable interior, should take. If studies show that taller people tend to make more money, why shouldn't their size be taken into account when designing the car? Cadillac would be cutting out people who'd more likely afford their vehicle.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

I know how you feel. I'm 6'4", and on top of the shortened wheelbase and that structural element behind the rear seats, the transmission tunnel up front is way too intrusive in the foot space of both the ATS and CTS. Hopefully the next generation is wider.

The CT6, however, is perfect, so I think it has everything to do with the platform.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Curtnik For This Useful Post:

CJH (06-27-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,534 Times in 2,295 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

At least they're fessing up to the fact that they have a problem. Pricing structure being addressed is good. Also it needs more room, GM needs to compete size per size and quit the tweener nonsense.

Thanks

I think it's fine news that ATS buyers are trading up from other non-German marques. These are people new to the lux market, and they're forming a Cadillac habit as they move up. That's a good thing. Maybe even a better thing than established lux buyers moving over from German cars.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 565 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Honda Accord Sport

The 2.5 4 cylinder is terrible in ATS. I'm glad Cadillac finally woke up and decided to drop that engine. What I don't understand is why they don't do like BMW and de-tune the 2.0T to make around 200hp like BMW did with the 320i. That way they could keep the turbo 4 for sale at a lower price point.
    2019 Honda Accord Sport

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    My Ride
    ELR/2014/RED

The ATS needs a lot of fixing... just look at it, it's bland and uninspiring, it looks like all the other caddy's as compared to the concept winner built on the same chassis, Buick Avista.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    The 2.5 4 cylinder is terrible in ATS. I'm glad Cadillac finally woke up and decided to drop that engine. What I don't understand is why they don't do like BMW and de-tune the 2.0T to make around 200hp like BMW did with the 320i. That way they could keep the turbo 4 for sale at a lower price point.
    Detuning the 2.0T wouldn't reduce the cost to produce it so why charge less. If they just want to charge less do so with a fully tuned 2.0T and beat the competition (BMW)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information