ATS: Fixing Cadillac's problem child

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATS: Fixing Cadillac's problem child

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

ATS: Fixing Cadillac's problem child

Price, trim adjustments coming for ATS in 2017
    June 27, 2016
    Mike Colias
    AutoNews.com

The ATS was supposed to herald Cadillac's return to luxury relevance when it went on sale nearly four years ago.

The compact sedan was going to be the Cadillac to "finally challenge the German cars at their own game and win," then-GM North America President and current product chief Mark Reuss said at the car's January 2012 unveiling. Instead, it has become Cadillac's problem child. Even in a cold sedan market, the ATS has lagged behind compact luxury rivals -- its market share has declined every year since 2013.

A big part of the problem: Resale values have fallen steadily too, making it harder and more expensive for Cadillac to offer a competitive lease, crucial to success in the luxury market.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoNews.com
    Prices will be reduced between $650 and $1,100, depending on the trim level. And each model will get more content than it did before. For example, Cadillac is eliminating the base 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, leaving the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-banger as the standard engine, and the 3.6-liter V-6 as the top engine. Starting with the '17 model year, buyers of a 2.0-liter turbo with some popular add-ons, such as a Bose surround-sound audio system, will pay about the same price as the 2.5-liter sedan with those same features cost in the '16 model year.
    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Commentary:

Will help some, but none of this will fix the fundamental flaw in the ATS - limited passenger/trunk space compared to the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoNews.com
    Registration data show that the shoppers tend to come from mainstream brands, rather than the German luxury marques that Cadillac has targeted. In the first quarter, the top three brands from which new ATS buyers migrated were Chevrolet, Ford and GMC, according to Polk data provided by IHS Automotive.
    The ATS is already priced below the Germans (esp. MB and BMW), but isn't seen being a value comparatively (notwithstanding lease rates) since the Germans have more room (the upcoming 3 Series will have more room) and have nicer interiors.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 06-27-2016 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Formatting fixed to move to Ticker

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,897 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Re: Fixing Cadillac's problem child

No a bad move. Thank God the 2.5 is gone. This generation only has a year or 2 left, might as wrll get aggressive.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,970 Times in 972 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

I agree. Kicking the 2.5L to the curb was long overdue. It never should have debuted with that motor as the base engine. Good riddance!

Making the 2.0-liter turbo the standard engine boosts the ATS' base price by about $1,500, to $35,590 including shipping. That's above the base price of the 3 series. The 2.5-liter accounted for more than 20 percent of sales.
    I'm kind of surprised that the motor made up 20% of their volume. I wonder if that was mostly to retail customers or fleet customers?

Also, if the 2.0T (in this form, anyway) costs them an extra $1,500 to boost the base MSRP, then I wonder if GM ever considered a "cheaper"/lower-power unit for the base powertrain? Would the cost-savings be significant enough to warrant a detuned 2.0T base engine?

I would still have liked to have seen a visual update, but I guess it's too close to the end of the line to inject extra capital into the project?
    Last edited by nadepalma; 06-27-2016 at 08:33 AM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 2,618 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Re: ATS: Fixing Cadillac's problem child

No ATS should leave the factory without the vertical LEDs in the car. It's that simple. Don't make it look cheap!!!

Changes here that were far overdue. They should offer the 2.0T as the same price as the 2.5 was slotted at.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

briandors (06-27-2016),DansGS (06-27-2016),dishdude (06-28-2016),dslay04 (06-27-2016),rockyspaw (06-27-2016)

Thanks

They should have brought ATS in originally substantially under the Germans to make people cross shop them more and build the nameplate. They could have up contented and increased pricing of it over time once they built a reputation. The other issue is that the early care had WAY to many problems.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    No ATS should leave the factory without the vertical LEDs in the car. It's that simple. Don't make it look cheap!!!

Changes here that were far overdue. They should offer the 2.0T as the same price as the 2.5 was slotted at.
    This. I mean, you had LEDs on a Chevy Cruz or Equinox. Quite a few Buicks. Can't put them on a Caddy? Should be standard across the board, if anything to make a shared image/design language of the vertical light pipes coming at you.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

Curtnik (06-27-2016),DansGS (06-27-2016),johnstarnes (06-28-2016)

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

GMI News Editor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,698 Times in 4,289 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Why don't they price it similarly to the 2 Series and A3? I assume then it will be a value vs. those vehicles with superior size.

But either way, nice move and I hope it helps. It really is a fantastic vehicle.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '16 Buick Regal GS AWD

Yes! I'm amazed at how many ATS's are around my area without the verticle LEDs. Just shows how people are very price conscience with the ATS and not buying the upper trims.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,970 Times in 972 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Agreed on both counts. I know they can't just "give it away", but would think that the increase in parts procurement, would lower the price-per-unit cost.

As an aside, I had no idea that LED taillamps weren't standard on the ATS. If they aren't, that's awfully cheap n' chinzy. How much did they save by not making them standard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    Michael, I'm assuming that this hints that the new two-stage turbo might find it's way under the current ATS's hood at some point? Or will it be reserved for the "CT3" or "CT4" replacement?
    Last edited by nadepalma; 06-27-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

Thanks
    Thanked 8,698 Times in 4,289 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Agreed on both counts. I know they can't just "give it away", but would think that the increase in parts procurement, would lower the price-per-unit cost.

As an aside, I had no idea that LED taillamps weren't standard on the ATS. If they aren't, that's awfully cheap n' chinzy. How much did they save by not making them standard?
    I believe all of the tail lamps are LED, it's the light tubes in the headlights. BMW does the same, the lower models don't have the rings around their headlights. I don't have an issue with GM not including, it's a way to get people into higher trim packages. You want it, you pay.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

XP300 (06-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,897 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

I agree. Kicking the 2.5L to the curb was long overdue. It never should have debuted with that motor as the base engine. Good riddance!

I'm kind of surprised that the motor made up 20% of their volume. I wonder if that was mostly to retail customers or fleet customers?
    $199-$249 Lease special.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    how soon?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,227 Times in 3,488 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I remember reading that GM is trying to move away from MCE's in favor of faster product change overs.. You can use the same engineers tied up in MCE's validation to speed up your new product pipeline, instead of them working on band aids, they would be working on the latest and greatest.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Z51 Corvette

Fix the cheap gauges.

Thanks

The ATS is way too small. I am 6'5" and I could not get behind the wheel of my wife's sister in law's ATS. My head was at a 45" angle and my knees where on either side of the steering wheel. That was with the seat all the way back and lowered. I don't see how anyone over 6'1" or 6'2" could comfortably fit in the driver's seat. And forget having anyone else sit behind you.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to zeobandit For This Useful Post:

Curtnik (06-27-2016)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information